sfld

woot, i just saw the link for the power adapter!! has anyone received theirs yet? I hope with my post count / join date i am eligible??

sfld,

lwien

I do all my vaping at home, cb, so I don't really need a portable. Would love to get one just for the fun of it, but money's a bit tight these days. :/

lwien,

upriver

combustion-free
I suppose I should clarify my statement that the C9000 should be mandatory for all MFLB owners; its more accurate to say that a high-quality charger is. I have not used the LaCrosse so cannot say. The button-pushes on the C9000 are not all that oppressive though, nor do you need to "program" it very often other than for the break-in mode which hopefully is not being done very often. The backlit display is easy to read, but it is also too bright and it would be nice if it would automatically dim after a few minutes but it does not. Its brighter than a nightlight.

It does have display info for each battery, but you have to either push the corresponding button to jump to that "page" or wait for it to auto-update to that battery. I don't see this as a real drawback. The price, however, is up to the purchaser to decide how important that is.

I imagine you cannot go wrong with any of these high-end chargers, and although a power adapter is supposedly coming out soon, I would still suggest mentally bundling a charger with the MFLB when considering the initial purchase. You will not be disappointed (as I was) when your original batteries start to go south.

upriver,

majorpayne66

Colorado MMJ Patient
Wow, this little vape is getting really expensive.
$99 LB
$65 C9000 and extra batteries
$20 Grinder
$64 Power adapter
Oh, that reminds me, my batteries are getting old so I need to order new ones.

majorpayne66,

lwien

upriver said:
.....nor do you need to "program" it very often other than for the break-in mode which hopefully is not being done very often.

You do if you don't want to use the default charge rate. If you want to change the charge rate, you have to do it individually for each battery. With the LaCrosse, you can program the first batt, and it will apply that program to the other three automatically if you so desire.

upriver said:
It does have display info for each battery, but you have to either push the corresponding button to jump to that "page" or wait for it to auto-update to that battery. I don't see this as a real drawback.

It's just a bit of a pain. Much easier to just glance at the charger and see what all the batts are doing at once. Also, when changing the settings, it makes it a bunch easier to do. The LaCrosse chargers are just more user friendly.

With that said though, once one becomes familier with the C9000, it all becomes second nature.

lwien,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
Tstat said:
Why do you recommend the C800S over the C9000 or the BC700?

It charges 8 batteries. It offers both 1 and 2 amp charging and a refresh mode. The information gleaned from the digital display on the C9000 is more of a novelty and in real world use of no benefit for most people.

elmomuzz,

The Budget Gourmet

Lurky turkey
My new Powerex 2700s are now in they're second 16 hour set of the C9000's break-in mode.
Lookin' good.
That screen sure is bright though. I'm going to cover it with painters tape tonight.
I am very excited to try these out.
I also got 16 Imedion 2400s plus the 4 the charger came with. These are for other rechargeable needs though, so the labels stay on most of them.

Thanks everyone for the good advice.:)

The Budget Gourmet,

george

majorpayne66 said:
Wow, this little vape is getting really expensive.
$99 LB
$65 C9000 and extra batteries
$20 Grinder
$64 Power adapter
Oh, that reminds me, my batteries are getting old so I need to order new ones.

Is the expesnive charger and extra batteries neccesary if you have a power adapter? i think not..
most people have a grinder anyways (pretty much a nessecity for cannabis users in the first place)
Power adapter isnt neccesary if you have a plug in unit that you use for home. Or if you have a ton of batteries and the expensive charger.

Personally, i still have my original charger and 2 batteries that i've been using for 6months and i'm fine, but i dont use it as much as some on here i guess... :p

It's really still not expensive when it comes to portable vapes. The iolite requires new butane and costs more at start.

george,

The Budget Gourmet

Lurky turkey
I think the Major was referring to a dedicated coffee grinder.

I think after it's all added up, its a lot cheaper than medical treatment involved with smoking related health issues. Incredibly cheap health insurance is how I think of it.

The Budget Gourmet,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
lwien said:
Tstat said:
That LaCrosse BC700 looks nice. As far as the C9000 goes- is it really THE best? I am going to buy one soon, and although the LaCrosse BC700 is much cheaper, none of them really cost too much. I want to invest in the best charger for my beautiful little LB. Why do you recommend the C800S over the C9000 or the BC700?

The things that a LaCrosse has over the C9000:
Global settings that make it easier to use than the C9000
Displays for each batt makes it easier to use and to see what's going on.
When batts say full, they are actually full.
Half the price of the C9000

Things that the C9000 has over the BC700:
Faster charge rates
Batteries are spaced out more thereby causing less heat.
Backlit display

lwein I am surprised you fell for the marketing hyperbole of lacross and didn't dig into the real differences. (get out your propeller cap)
You missed most of the facts of why the c9000 is superior to the bc700 and justifiably costs more:

Lower Max Voltage with a 2 hour 100mA Top-Off: Avoids overheating when cells miss -DeltaV termination but still finishes the charge cycle with a gentle 100mA Top-Off to provide optimum capacity and then a 10mA trickle after that. This feature alone will greatly extend the cells life over the bc700 even though the bc700 takes longer to charge at less mA.

Finer current control for charge and discharge: Allows me to control the heat on used cells.

Separate charge and discharge controls: I can charge at 0.5 - 1.0C and discharge at 0.2C; not limited to 50% of charge rate like bc700. Independent (i.e not tied to 2-to-1) and more varied (4 for bc700 vs 19 for c9000) Charge/Discharge rates. No Comparison Here.

Discharge Mode: Measure cell capacity without immediately recharging. Useful for 'Self-Discharge' measurements or to see capacity remaining after your trench is completed. 'Discharge Capacity' reported by the Maha MH-C9000 vs the La Crosse bc700. The MH-C9000 rests 2 hours between the Charge and Discharge portions of the Cycle (La Crosse Refresh), allowing the 'Surface Charge' to bleed off. Unless you're using your cells IMMEDIATELY off the charger, your TRUE DISCHARGE CAPACITY is what's actually left after the 'Surface Charge' dissipates, NOT what the La Crosse displays. C9000 wins again!

Industry Recommended Minimum Charge Rate is 0.5C (based on '-Dv') charge rate (2000mAh * 0.5C) = 1000mA, the bc700 is a "crippled charger" and can't supply enough power to meet the industry recommended minimum. Even worse for 2700mAh PowerEx cells where minimum charge current should be 1350mA - the bc700 can only manage half that amperage. Even at the bc700s maximum charge rate of 700mA, you'd only be at (700mA / 2700mAh = ) 0.26C, where you now risk charging at too slow a rate to produce a clear "-Delta v" detection while still high enough to allow the cell to continue to OVERCHARGE until it reaches either THERMAL detection or TIMER expiration, bad bad bad... fire anyone!

Pulse Charging: The Maha MH-C9000 uses pulse charging. Pulse technology, as applied to batteries, can do two very important things. It allows rapid charging and battery conditioning. NimH batteries can be charged more quickly. Pulses condition your batteries by breaking down the sulfation in the cells, one of the causes of premature battery failure. Your batteries last much longer, even when they're sitting idle for months.

I personally own the C9000 and think it is well worth the money, but I guess have fun reading the screen of your bc700 with a flashlight and magnifying glass.

DeepFried,

lwien

Ok, let's take these one by one, but let me suggest something first. Being that this is an LB thread and not really a charger thread, how 'bout ya start another thread regarding chargers and post this post up there, and then I'll respond and we can have fun goin' round and round, k? ;)

DeepFried said:
lwien said:
Tstat said:
That LaCrosse BC700 looks nice. As far as the C9000 goes- is it really THE best? I am going to buy one soon, and although the LaCrosse BC700 is much cheaper, none of them really cost too much. I want to invest in the best charger for my beautiful little LB. Why do you recommend the C800S over the C9000 or the BC700?

The things that a LaCrosse has over the C9000:
Global settings that make it easier to use than the C9000
Displays for each batt makes it easier to use and to see what's going on.
When batts say full, they are actually full.
Half the price of the C9000

Things that the C9000 has over the BC700:
Faster charge rates
Batteries are spaced out more thereby causing less heat.
Backlit display

lwein I am surprised you fell for the marketing hyperbole of lacross and didn't dig into the real differences. (get out your propeller cap)
You missed most of the facts of why the c9000 is superior to the bc700 and justifiably costs more:

Lower Max Voltage with a 2 hour 100mA Top-Off: Avoids overheating when cells miss -DeltaV termination but still finishes the charge cycle with a gentle 100mA Top-Off to provide optimum capacity and then a 10mA trickle after that. This feature alone will greatly extend the cells life over the bc700 even though the bc700 takes longer to charge at less mA.

Finer current control for charge and discharge: Allows me to control the heat on used cells.

Separate charge and discharge controls: I can charge at 0.5 - 1.0C and discharge at 0.2C; not limited to 50% of charge rate like bc700. Independent (i.e not tied to 2-to-1) and more varied (4 for bc700 vs 19 for c9000) Charge/Discharge rates. No Comparison Here.

Discharge Mode: Measure cell capacity without immediately recharging. Useful for 'Self-Discharge' measurements or to see capacity remaining after your trench is completed. 'Discharge Capacity' reported by the Maha MH-C9000 vs the La Crosse bc700. The MH-C9000 rests 2 hours between the Charge and Discharge portions of the Cycle (La Crosse Refresh), allowing the 'Surface Charge' to bleed off. Unless you're using your cells IMMEDIATELY off the charger, your TRUE DISCHARGE CAPACITY is what's actually left after the 'Surface Charge' dissipates, NOT what the La Crosse displays. C9000 wins again!

Industry Recommended Minimum Charge Rate is 0.5C (based on '-Dv') charge rate (2000mAh * 0.5C) = 1000mA, the bc700 is a "crippled charger" and can't supply enough power to meet the industry recommended minimum. Even worse for 2700mAh PowerEx cells where minimum charge current should be 1350mA - the bc700 can only manage half that amperage. Even at the bc700s maximum charge rate of 700mA, you'd only be at (700mA / 2700mAh = ) 0.26C, where you now risk charging at too slow a rate to produce a clear "-Delta v" detection while still high enough to allow the cell to continue to OVERCHARGE until it reaches either THERMAL detection or TIMER expiration, bad bad bad... fire anyone!

Pulse Charging: The Maha MH-C9000 uses pulse charging. Pulse technology, as applied to batteries, can do two very important things. It allows rapid charging and battery conditioning. NimH batteries can be charged more quickly. Pulses condition your batteries by breaking down the sulfation in the cells, one of the causes of premature battery failure. Your batteries last much longer, even when they're sitting idle for months.

I personally own the C9000 and think it is well worth the money, but I guess have fun reading the screen of your bc700 with a flashlight and magnifying glass.

lwien,

thedeserttortoise

It's all to beautiful! Yes.... Just ordered my first LB. I can't wait. It took me about 7 freestanding vapes to finally settle on the Extreme V3. I love it and we shall never part ways. After reading all the LB reviews (thanks to all you forum members) I believe a portable vape isn't going to be so elusive. I've only tried one other so far, the Vapor Genie... which is the bomb (just hard keeping the BIC lit while outside), but am definitely looking forward to the battery thing with the LB. Looks so good I ordered 2.. one for a good friend of mine (a Christmas spirit kind of thing), and the one for myself. I just wanted to pass some kudos's around to all the great members here as well as the MF team who seems to go above and beyond in support of their product. Merry Christmas all, and have a great holiday. the Tortoise :)

thedeserttortoise,

fylgja

I have 4 powerx 2700s and a Energizer 15 minute charger. I've used them for about 8 months now without a problem. But which charger or batteriers are "the best" all depends on your personal preferences and how you use them. Some people think the 15 minute charger will kill bats. I haven't had a problem with that. Could be luck. Or it could be I read the instructions and make sure the fan is never obstructed so there is a constant stream of air on them and I don't unplug it until the fan turns off and the batteries are nice and cool. But some people lay it down so the fan can't get any airflow (duh) and the bats overheat, or they unplug it as soon as the light turns green instead of waiting for the fan to turn off. If you use it properly (follow the instruction manual) than it should work great for you. Don't get so caught up in the technicalities. Hvae fun.

fylgja,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
fylgja said:
I have 4 powerx 2700s and a Energizer 15 minute charger. I've used them for about 8 months now without a problem. But which charger or batteriers are "the best" all depends on your personal preferences and how you use them. Some people think the 15 minute charger will kill bats. I haven't had a problem with that. Could be luck. Or it could be I read the instructions and make sure the fan is never obstructed so there is a constant stream of air on them and I don't unplug it until the fan turns off and the batteries are nice and cool. But some people lay it down so the fan can't get any airflow (duh) and the bats overheat, or they unplug it as soon as the light turns green instead of waiting for the fan to turn off. If you use it properly (follow the instruction manual) than it should work great for you. Don't get so caught up in the technicalities. Hvae fun.

The 15 minute charger will shorten the lifetime of your batteries. That's simple chemistry at work and it's unavoidable. Whether the shortening is significant, especially if you take the care you do, is up to the user.

I don't do it because I don't need to, but I wouldn't hesitate if I absolutely had to have a battery in a real hurry. I've never been caught that short however, and I don't anticipate it happening. I have four Powerex 2700s for daily use and I've never had fewer than two that are fully charged. Even if I somehow ran out, I keep four Imedions (LSD) for travel and they are always charged unless I am on the road.

I'm curious why you feel the need to use a 15-minute charger. Do you really blast through all four Powerex batteries in under two hours?

pakalolo,

sfld

Just ordered the wall charger! woohoo

I didn't get a confirmation email, hopefully the order went thru

sfld,

Zot

Vaping Phool
sfld said:
Just ordered the wall charger! woohoo

I didn't get a confirmation email, hopefully the order went thru

I didn't either; but I have faith in MF. :D

Zot,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
A question for recent purchasers of the Launch Box (eh, September and later). Do you find that the boxes tend to run hot at first and then normal, or consistently. Just curious as I've had to order a new Launch Box (to replace one that I think I lost) and wonder if it will be performing similarly to one I had received in March of this year.

And, yes, it was my fault for the maybe disappearance of the Launch Box (I'm a new cat owner and apparently have not cat proofed the house)

thanks

Tom

tdavie,

JinkyWells

Where do you order the Wall adapter? I asked MF and they said check FuckCombustion but they did not know if there was a process to order one, yet.

JinkyWells,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
pakalolo,

Taima

?????
Dear MF,

Is there any info you can give us about the progress of the beta testing for the wall adapter or whether non-beta units will be available before Christmas?

Taima,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
Zot said:
Just ordered the Beta power adapter; merry Xmas to me!

I still plan on using batteries for my typical daily routine, but chilling at night with a LB that you can dial up to '11'? Priceless!

Here is my advice for what it's worth; the things that I find make the most of my MFLB experience.

* Coffee grinder. Fast and easy - I just ordered a dedicated one that was recommended here so I don't have to keep cleaning out my regular coffee grinder. :) The fine grind really makes a difference.

* Powerex 2700 HSD batteries. Huge improvement over the stock batteries. I use the LB daily, so holding a charge for a long time isn't an issue for me.

* Use the rubber battery cap on the negative end of the battery for comfort if you have the push-back ring. I find it uncomfortable on the palm of my hand when I press in the naked battery. Putting the rubber diaper on the back end makes it so I don't even notice the pressure.

* Use the rubber band to hold it closed - always. You'll eventually be sorry if you don't.

* Practice the 'nose breathing' technique. It's especially good when you have a dieing battery or an almost dead trench if you're trying to stretch your load. I use a number of different techniques depending on the situation, and I switch it around all the time. My most used method is switching between nose-breathing and the regular slow-sip; kind of a hybrid micro-hitting technique. I use one method for 2-3 seconds, then switch to the other for 2-3 seconds and repeat until full.

Very useful tips! What is the coffee grinder that you purchased? I don't remember the recommended one, but I will be purchasing one online soon.

I have tried the nose breathing technique, but my lungs become full way too fast, so I usually just micro hit :)

I wish I could purchase the power adapter right now! I am alittle short on funds and working on getting my med card so it may have to wait a bit.

Can't wait to hear about it though! p.s. i love this community. it is awesome...

Elluzion,

Zot

Vaping Phool
Elluzion said:
Zot said:
(snip)
* Coffee grinder. Fast and easy - I just ordered a dedicated one that was recommended here so I don't have to keep cleaning out my regular coffee grinder. :) The fine grind really makes a difference.

(snip)

Very useful tips! What is the coffee grinder that you purchased? I don't remember the recommended one, but I will be purchasing one online soon.

Can't wait to hear about it though! p.s. i love this community. it is awesome...

Here is what someone recommended - they said that the keif collects on the flat part of the top. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IUX5/ref=ox_ya_os_product

I just received it today, but haven't had a need to grind yet. I'll post my opinion when I do.

I second your opinion on the community here. I credit aggressive moderation as well as the posters themselves. Thumbs up.

Zot,
Top Bottom