george

lowfront said:
will the power adapter just replicate a battery?

or is there a way to control the power to the point of having maybe temp control in some way?
Real good question! Would be really awesome if it did.

MagicFlight....any response?

george,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
flanman said:
Mr. Smoke No More said:
How does the launch box function at low temps, like -25C? Anyone have any experience with this? I found a couple posts searching, but kinda mixxed opinions on how it affects the batteries.

Edit: Guess i'll fing out, just ordered 3 from puffitup.
i tried it in a walk in freezer at work (around -10F) and gave it a quick rip and it seemed to have worked fine. not sure how well it'll work once the unit gets down to that temperature but from room temp to -10 it worked well.
Hi,

The unit itself should work to -25C. The batteries will need to be kept warmer than 0C to work well. As long as you do not let the batteries get too cold, they will provide power. If they get cold, it will not damage them -- they just need to be warmed again to work.

Note -- this is much better performance than anything that is butane based (lighters for a pipe, Iolite, etc),
which do not tolerate cold even this well.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
george said:
lowfront said:
will the power adapter just replicate a battery? -- or is there a way to control the power to the point of having maybe temp control in some way?
MagicFlight....any response?
Hi,

The power adapter will replicate the battery, and thus will be usable on all Boxes. It *might* have a power control setting. However, even if it does, be aware that the temperature is as affected by the draw rate as by anything else. There were some graphs demonstrating this effect posted earlier -- page 161, I think.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

steven22

DeepFried said:
@steven22: why do you need to remove the stem so many times?, if you are using the long stem try cutting it in half and leaving the stem attached all the time except to clean it.

Or order a whip from MagicFlight and it comes with 2 short stems.

Also don't force the stem in so hard, it is going upwards because of the bevel cut into the stem to make it easy to initially insert into the hole.
well... id rather remove the stem after use, it makes storing it easier (small bag to hold all my LB goodies) and safer... so nothing will put leverage on the mouthpiece and break the hole....

im really not forcing it hard... i used to force it in with adequate pressure till i reached the stop... since I noticed the wear and tear, I dont go that far back.

but would cutting the stem slightly to remove that bevel in the stem be a solution?

steven22,

ltmilo

Am I just paranoied because i'm ripped? I dont know, but I think that MF is going to get into some kind of trouble for the unsafe way that batteries must be used for its device. And thus, MF is trying to replace the battery idea with a new way of heating metal up via electricity (an outlet). In future models, according to this idea, MFLB's will be made with no option to use a battery, thus getting the United States saftey requirements off of their list of concerns.

So is it a legitimate conspiracy theory, or am i just really high?

ltmilo,

Mr. Smoke No More

Can't stop the head rush!
magicflight said:
flanman said:
Mr. Smoke No More said:
How does the launch box function at low temps, like -25C? Anyone have any experience with this? I found a couple posts searching, but kinda mixxed opinions on how it affects the batteries.

Edit: Guess i'll fing out, just ordered 3 from puffitup.
i tried it in a walk in freezer at work (around -10F) and gave it a quick rip and it seemed to have worked fine. not sure how well it'll work once the unit gets down to that temperature but from room temp to -10 it worked well.
Hi,

The unit itself should work to -25C. The batteries will need to be kept warmer than 0C to work well. As long as you do not let the batteries get too cold, they will provide power. If they get cold, it will not damage them -- they just need to be warmed again to work.

Note -- this is much better performance than anything that is butane based (lighters for a pipe, Iolite, etc),
which do not tolerate cold even this well.

-- Magic-Flight
Nice! Thanks for the responce.

ltmilo said:
Im going with you're just real high lol. Im right there with ya bud.

Mr. Smoke No More,

george

ltmilo said:
Am I just paranoied because i'm ripped? I dont know, but I think that MF is going to get into some kind of trouble for the unsafe way that batteries must be used for its device. And thus, MF is trying to replace the battery idea with a new way of heating metal up via electricity (an outlet). In future models, according to this idea, MFLB's will be made with no option to use a battery, thus getting the United States saftey requirements off of their list of concerns.

haha gave me a good laugh. Great theory though!

george,

reece

ltmilo said:

Just high. I think you're confusing replace with replicate.

reece,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
steven22 said:
but would cutting the stem slightly to remove that bevel in the stem be a solution?
no because without that bevel, the stem will be very difficult to insert and will probably damage the wood at the insertion point over time. Try cutting the stem shorter, it will still cool the hit a bit and have way less leverage on the wooden hole when left in.

ltmilo said:
I wish I could get that high, sheesh!

DeepFried,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
DeepFried said:
steven22 said:
no because without that bevel, the stem will be very difficult to insert and will probably damage the wood at the insertion point over time. Try cutting the stem shorter, it will still cool the hit a bit and have way less leverage on the wooden hole when left in.
Agreed. Wood is wood -- it is not super hard and will wear down in time if not treated with an awareness of its limits, fiber nature, etc. The main thing to watch for is to prevent it from being inserted too hard and then bent or twisted while it is inserted. That little lip inside the hole is to protect the screen from having the stem inserted too far. We prefer that people use it native, simply because it provides for a more reliable experience and is much less likely to have mechanical issues such as this.

DeepFried said:
ltmilo said:
The battery usage needs to be understood in context. Lighters/flame/matches are *MUCH* more dangerous than the batteries we are using. The difference is that people have become used to the dangers associated with butane and fire and are far less likely to do something stupid with them. Mishandling a lighter, such as throwing into a campfire (ie, to 'combine fire with fire'), is a well known "DONT DO IT!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrJWumH0Efo). However, asking for exactly the same behavior in battery handling (ie to prevent batteries from being combined with other batteries or metal) seems to be perceived as much more intrusive. Yet you will note that all that is asked for batteries is *exactly* the same behavior we naturally expect for people using lighters -- pay attention to the "working end" and know what you are doing and why. Functionally, asking people to treat the batteries with some respect is exactly the same as asking people to treat lighters and matches with respect.

Batteries belong in their cases when not in active use. Single loose batteries should have their battery caps on at all times when not in the Box. Peeled batteries should NOT be put into any other devices other than the Box.

In absolute terms, the dangers of fire, in any form, is infinitely far worse than any danger associated with a AA NiMH battery. Fire can spread indefinitely, to the entire world (non-localized, very contagious), whereas the maximum possible effects of our batteries will always be very localized (non-contagious), even under the very worst of abuse circumstances. Energy is energy -- all of it can be dangerous if mishandled. However, this difference in contagion is so black and white basic that when people suggest that batteries are somehow "more dangerous", I know that they are not arguing from a position of any kind of knowing/experience, but more from a position of a simple fear of the unknown.

This lack of familiarity is understandable however, and itself needs to be understood in context. In particular, even cave man knew about fire (50,000 years of aggregate experience), whereas electricity has only been around/understood by the public for about 100 years or so. So it is understandable if people do not know as much about batteries/electricity. Still, I think that suggesting that batteries are somehow "more dangerous" on a forum which prides itself on an having a more advanced awareness of things like the obvious advantages of vaporization over smoking is somewhat ironic. I tend to think that the advantages of electric vaporization over any type of fire/flame based vaporization are similarly obvious. To my perspective, even though they may look much more modern than the Box on the outside, the fire based portables (VG, Iolite) feel (and operate) like something out of the stone age. The use of modern electrical/physical methods in the Box makes its 'antique' look even more deceptive -- stealth in principle as well as in practice!

So therefore, to put the record strait -- we are making the desktop power adapter because we want to -- because people are asking for it, not because we have any intention of replacing the battery. Why would we ever want to "fix" something that is already perfect?

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

ltmilo

magicflight said:
So therefore, to put the record strait -- we are making the desktop power adapter because we want to -- because people are asking for it, not because we have any intention of replacing the battery. Why would we ever want to "fix" something that is already perfect?

-- Magic-Flight
Very happy to hear that! I never said that batteries are more dangerous than matches, and I don't think that the MFLB is unsafe at all compared to something that uses a flame. I love mine, and I'm glad that my high-ass-conspiracy-theory wasn't correct!

ltmilo,

beefsupreme

just wanted to give props to all the posts in this thread. I read up for an hour+ last night and then ordered one from vaporizers.ca - the amount of knowledge shared is amazing and I hope to be putting it to good use shortly. Major props to MagicFlight for building such a great tool! Looking forward to putting combustion behind me.

beefsupreme,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Okay... I finally got my fancy schmansy charger in... The C9000, got some of the Powerex's with it too.

I am confused though... go figure. I've got the Powerex's in break in mode and was thinking of doing same with my stock batteries but I'm not sure which one's are which, how much MAH they are. This charger is almost rocket science I swear, this thing is pretty fancy but complicated.

I have three types of stock batteries from different time periods as I've purchased a few LB's. I have the white button top batteries and then I have some that have metal tops, no plastic ring and the metal surrounding the top is in several little pieces. I also have some much older batteries from my first box that have a black ring on top. All of them came w/ stock kits.

Anyone know which is who and what MAH I should tell the charger - it wants specifics lol!

Ooh, one more question. Reading the manual it says it will ask me the charge rate to use for regular charge. I see an example of 2700 mah batteries with 0.1C or 270mah ?? Would this be the setting?? The new powerex's are 2700 mah but not sure about others.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the new batteries perform and how the charger makes my stock batteries perform. Testing to commence soon as I figure out specifics. The manual says break in time for new batteries 39-45 hours so...I have a couple days before I get to stock batteries LMAO!

Thanks in advance for any info :D :peace:

Lo,

steven22

magicflight said:
Agreed. Wood is wood -- it is not super hard and will wear down in time if not treated with an awareness of its limits, fiber nature, etc. The main thing to watch for is to prevent it from being inserted too hard and then bent or twisted while it is inserted. That little lip inside the hole is to protect the screen from having the stem inserted too far. We prefer that people use it native, simply because it provides for a more reliable experience and is much less likely to have mechanical issues such as this.
Done.... Iv decided to toss the stem to not further wear out the wood in the mouthpiece.

but is there an alternative tube i could try to use?... something that isnt as dense as the original stem.

steven22,

beefsupreme

chewyrails said:
Better deals on the MAHA charger + batteries on newegg.ca, I think:

C9000 + 4 Powerex 2700 mAh batteries is $70.99

Shipping prices are weird, though... about $10 for the charger itself, or for the charger plus 8 batteries. But $2.99 for the charger with 4 batteries.
Thanks for pointing out this deal. I pulled the trigger on it - $72cad shipped after the code. The Powerex batteries should do nicely with the MFLB. Reading Lo's post above it sounds like i'll have lots to learn when my two new toys arrive shortly in the post!

beefsupreme,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
beefsupreme said:
chewyrails said:
Better deals on the MAHA charger + batteries on newegg.ca, I think:

C9000 + 4 Powerex 2700 mAh batteries is $70.99

Shipping prices are weird, though... about $10 for the charger itself, or for the charger plus 8 batteries. But $2.99 for the charger with 4 batteries.
Thanks for pointing out this deal. I pulled the trigger on it - $72cad shipped after the code. The Powerex batteries should do nicely with the MFLB. Reading Lo's post above it sounds like i'll have lots to learn when my two new toys arrive shortly in the post!
You should at least be happy with vaporizers.ca, it's who I bought my Launch Box through. I live in Edmonton and purchased the one-up expedited shipping for an extra $10 or something... came within 10 days. Everything was packaged very nice and inconspicuously through Canada Post. You won't look back, guaranteed. :D

mattybass,

wolf torn

Lo said:
Ooh, one more question. Reading the manual it says it will ask me the charge rate to use for regular charge. I see an example of 2700 mah batteries with 0.1C or 270mah ?? Would this be the setting?? The new powerex's are 2700 mah but not sure about others.

Thanks in advance for any info :D :peace:
Charge at 400MAH for nice slow charge don't go lower then 300MAH

and for fast charge don't go higher then 1000MAH

and if I need to discharge I just do what they do as default don't go lower then 500MAH

I too would like to know what these stock batteries are suppose to hold. And Lo enjoy, its really not confusing once you get the hang of it. I'm still in love the charger and battery experience. Feels space age sometimes.

wolf torn,

springbound

Hey folks,

Is anyone able to advise on how hard it is to push the battery into the Magic-Flight Launch Box? I have arthritis which affects my hands and am worried about having to apply too much pressure if the battery doesn't go in easy (or come out without a fight). Hopefully this isn't even an issue, but I just read someone saying "push the battery in firmly" and thought I'd better check before choosing this product!

Thanks muchly! :)

springbound,

VivaSativa

Lo said:
I have three types of stock batteries from different time periods as I've purchased a few LB's. I have the white button top batteries and then I have some that have metal tops, no plastic ring and the metal surrounding the top is in several little pieces. I also have some much older batteries from my first box that have a black ring on top. All of them came w/ stock kits.

Anyone know which is who and what MAH I should tell the charger - it wants specifics lol!
Two of my battery sets came from BlissSville, ones with black tops were Tenergy I believe (got mine in August-September 09), and got another set very recently, with white tops, those are Imedeon 2400mah LSD I think.
I don't remember the mah rating of the Tenergy's, but maybe if you search the forum for posts from that era you'll see it mentioned..
Good luck with the charger, let us know how it works out after you broke them in :p

VivaSativa,

MichMartin

springbound said:
Hey folks,

Is anyone able to advise on how hard it is to push the battery into the Magic-Flight Launch Box? I have arthritis which affects my hands and am worried about having to apply too much pressure if the battery doesn't go in easy (or come out without a fight). Hopefully this isn't even an issue, but I just read someone saying "push the battery in firmly" and thought I'd better check before choosing this product!

With this vaporizer there is a lot of pushing the battery in and out.
To make it work you have to push the battery.
I tried just now with the different batteries I have and you don't have to push that hard at all.
It is less of a push then crushing a grape.
I just tested with the differenct batteries I have.

MichMartin,

wanderer46

Got a question about herb grinders (space case/chromium crusher/etc)... do they grind herb fine enough for the MFLB? What's your experience?

wanderer46,

george

wanderer46 said:
Got a question about herb grinders (space case/chromium crusher/etc)... do they grind herb fine enough for the MFLB? What's your experience?

Any of those grinders work good, the general concensus is that 2pc grinders grind better for the LB. 4pc will work but they wont ggrind as fine.

george,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
springbound said:
Hey folks,

Twisting the battery into place (and out) is pretty easy. Once it's in there's a piece of foam rubber material with a hole in it for the battery nipple that stops the battery from making contact without being pressed. I put a new MFLB on a scale with the stock battery in place and pushed until the light came on. Averaged 1250g.

Not sure how much help that is. :lol:

vtac,
Top Bottom