Lo

Combustion free since '09
NO, if it looked like that it's not safe to use.

Email magic flight, if it leaks again take pix maybe for MF.

Lo,

HighVibes

Medicinal Mist
Ok thanks everybody, I'm definitely not gonna use it. I mean I knew it was probably not ok to use anymore, but I was just makin extra sure. And yea Lo I'm gonna keep it for a few days in case it leaks more so I can take pics and show MF in my email. Do you think they'd send me a new battery without pictures in my email to prove that its a damaged battery?

HighVibes,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I'd email them about the battery if it's only a few weeks old. They did mention they're covered by warranty. Save the battery so you can mail it back to them if need be.

magicflight said:
Both the batteries and the charger are covered by the Functional Warranty. If you do not get satisfaction at Puffitup, please contact us.

Lo,

witmvpness6

Just ordered mine from Puffitup and I live in MI. Anyone in MI order theres from the website? If so, how long did it take to arrive? Thanks.

witmvpness6,

Impressionist

Well I managed to get through all 142 pages! Ordered an LB on Wednesday from PuffItUp. After finals week I shall be enjoying it shortly with a quad of black domina :) So I guess the general consensus is that one should not vape the spearmint bundled with the LB? Also, should I purchase another grinder if I wanted to grind the herb to a powderlike consistency, or is the included grinder sufficient?

Impressionist,

slurpeejerky711

Impressionist said:
Well I managed to get through all 142 pages! Ordered an LB on Wednesday from PuffItUp. After finals week I shall be enjoying it shortly with a quad of black domina :) So I guess the general consensus is that one should not vape the spearmint bundled with the LB? Also, should I purchase another grinder if I wanted to grind the herb to a powderlike consistency, or is the included grinder sufficient?
id say use the included grinder, i ordered from vapeworld and got decent one but it isnt great to get super fine bud so i grind a bud in it and then chop that with a brand new razor blade and the seems to work great for me

i do have to say guys that after using the mflb for close to 5 months now how important the battery and technique is, but god all the battery related post just gives me a headache all of the names and numbers and different stuff is hard to keep up with haha:p

witmvpness6 said:
Just ordered mine from Puffitup and I live in MI. Anyone in MI order theres from the website? If so, how long did it take to arrive? Thanks.
and congrats to you, you will like it a lot, um id say about about, i didnt order from puffitup but i ordered mine on a friday afternoon and recieved it monday afternoon

hey has anyone ever thought of cutting the stem in half so less residue gets caught in the stem and then its closer to the more native hitting technique?

slurpeejerky711,

HighVibes

Medicinal Mist
slurpeejerky711 said:
hey has anyone ever thought of cutting the stem in half so less residue gets caught in the stem and then its closer to the more native hitting technique?
idk I would be hesitant about that. Seeing as how its an acrylic stem, its going to be very rough and jagged where you cut it, and this might create issues with where you stick the stem into box.. unless you wanna use the rough end as a mouthpiece. You could try sanding it, altho in my experience with cutting and sanding plastic (before I started vaping, I used to make homemade bongs all the time), it doesnt actually sand plastic off, it just warps it from the friction.

HighVibes,

greenganja

"hey has anyone ever thought of cutting the stem in half so less residue gets caught in the stem and then its closer to the more native hitting technique?"

Actually I was thinking that I might like a stem just a little bit longer than the one that it came with.

I have converted yet another friend over the MFLB this weekend. He saw me using mine and inquired about it. So I let him try it and he was immediately sold on it. I just happened to have my laptop handy and showed him the FC forum and specifically the MFLB thread. He then ordered one from Vape World.

greenganja,

HighVibes

Medicinal Mist
fylgja said:
One problem with the 15 minute chargers is that people don't use them correctly. You have to leave it plugged in five minutes after the green light comes on and the fan goes off. This gives the batteries time to keep the batteries cool while they are still heating up from the power up. Then, once the green light is on and the fan has shut off, you can take them out of the charger immediatly (because leaving them in will drain the batteries). Unplugging the 15 minute charger prematurally will kind of store a memory point on the battery and it will only charge up to that point forever after. Also, the 15 minute charger should be standing in a vertical position. A lot of people make the mistake of laying it in a horizontal position, which doesn't allow the fan to cool off the batteries, which in turn will burn them out faster.
I'm a photographer, so I work with all kinds of battery chargers. I wish MFLB would make one that could run on rechargable lithium batteries. That is my idea for an improvement.
I'm looking into buying one of these, but everyone thats had it for a while says the batteries get worn out really fast, and that it really messes up your batteries. In your experience, if you follow the procedure you stated above, do the batteries work as well or almost as well as the stock eneloops that come with the LB? Also, how long have you had it the 15-min charger, and how often do you use it? I really don't wanna drop $40 on this thing only to regret it later. Thanks

HighVibes,

mirrorfap

Fap Fap Fap Nom Nom Nom
um... is it likely that a Battery Vents or Leaks while operating and inhaling from the LB? Sounds like a big issue.

mirrorfap,

GreenLeaf

I can't wait until MFLB introduces a plug in adapter which someone else posted about on here.

The batteries work fine for me but I'd rather just use a plug in adapter and just save the batteries for when I'm not anywhere near an electrical outlet.

GreenLeaf,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
mirrorfap said:
um... is it likely that a Battery Vents or Leaks while operating and inhaling from the LB? Sounds like a big issue.
Well considering the LB batteries are only in for about 10 seconds at a time, I think you would discover relatively quickly that a battery has begun leaking. I would definitely discontinue use. But unless you're extremely high, you should notice right away if there's leaking acid.

Edit: Should note I haven't had a single problem since buying my LB... in the first week I got it, it appears a tiny metal thread had come loose along one seam in the trench... one of the vertical threads it seems is just stuck and sitting there in the trench. I thought I had unraveled the screen somehow while just using the included brush. But it still works fine so I dunno :/

mattybass,

B.

War Criminal
Xenith-here's the video of my LB connected to a Myrtle Zap stem by using the short stem that came with the LB, which fits perfectly into the bowl of the MZ stem, which fits perfectly into my bong. All by total coincidence. It's amazing.

http://s914.photobucket.com/albums/ac343/B1221/?action=view&current=Movieon2010-05-07at2353.flv

I have also made a makeshift gasket on the stem with a rubber band wrapped repeatedly around the stem until it was thick enough to make a seal with the bong.

You can use the box native and just press the wood up against the glass. The milk won't be as thick, but it works just fine.

I've also used tubing. About 3 inches of a little tube I had was the perfect length that when I jammed it into my downstem the weight of the attached box would bend the tube just right so the box was in a nice flat position.

B.,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
mirrorfap said:
Hi,

There was one poster a while back that asked a lot of questions about this. This reply is a summary.

- 1) To be clear, we must distinguish between the events of charging the
battery and discharging the battery. With improper charging (ie, a
cheap or malfunctioning battery charger) the battery can be made to
vent (its not common, but it is possible). However, venting does not
happen during discharging. The box only uses the battery in discharge
mode. Therefore, there is no risk.

- 2) The previous poster did not understand the function of the back
construction hole and battery compartment and incorrectly claimed that
it was coupled to the vapor chamber -- it is not. Therefore, even if
the battery did vent (see 1 above) it would not be available for
inhalation. Again, no risk.

- 3) Assuming that somehow the battery did vent, in considering risk
it is also worthwhile to consider what kind of gasses are involved and
how much might be generated. From the chemistry the gas would only be
H2 (hydrogen) and quantity is tiny (a few cm at most). Both the kind
and the amount are biologically harmless. Again, no risk.

In sum, the chances of this being any sort of issue while *using* the box is of no interest -- for those who like to worry, there are better candidates. For people who work with batteries in general, the above is considered to be common knowledge.

However, in the interests of safety, I must also report that some chargers do not do as good a job detecting when a battery is already charged. If people put an already mostly charged battery into a fast charger, and that fast charger is not smart enough to detect this condition, it could potentially overcharge the battery causing it to get hot, and in particularly bad cases, to leak (not the end of the world). For some chargers, it can also be rather bad to put the battery in backwards (don't try it!). High quality chargers generally handle both of these conditions gracefully.

We are currently working with our vendors to see if a custom charger without any of these flaws can be made. This will take time. Until then, I would recommend using the battery as fully as possible before recharging. I am aware that I have previously suggested that people could put the batteries back into the charger regardless, and that was known/verified to be true at the time. However, there are a lot of different kinds of chargers out there. For simplicity sake, and also to get the best value and life from the batteries I now recommend using them out before recharging.

-- Magic-Flight

Last edited by a moderator:
magicflight,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
I can not imagine any situations where a few extra batterries would not make a 15 minute charger obselete, let alone $40 worth of batteries ;) (and would, therefore, recommend extra batteries instead of quick chargers).

IIRC, the batterry charger provided by MF conditions the batteries before charging to ensure that they do not decrease their capacity over time (please correct me if I am wrong, MF).

Progress,

fylgja

It's the heat that causes the rechargable batteries to break down. So if you are using the 15 minute charger correctly it shouldn't be a big problem. I imagine you will have some energy loss, but not much more than your regular charger if it gets hot and does not have a fan. Plus what we are all using these batteries for does make them warm, so they will run dead quicker than if I were to use them in the remote or a little point-n-shoot camera. You might get a few more runs out of them with a slower charger, but I don't think it's significant enough of a difference if used correctly (in my experience). But the charger that comes with the MFLB does get warmer than I am comfortable with. My 15 minute one has such a big fan the batteries hardly get warm at all. If you lay the energizer charger flat while charging the batteries will get super hot because the fan is running but not getting fresh air. It has to be standing upright, and you have to wait 5 minutes after the green light goes off and the fan will turn off. Then you can unplug it. It needs that extra time to keep the newly charged batteries cool.
But, like I said, it would be most ideal if the LB worked with rechargable lithium batteries. :D

fylgja,

Troi

Hey, I get my new LB tomorrow, does anyone know if the batteris come charged?

Troi,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
They might not be 100% but they will be charged enough to use right after opening the tin up.

I just hit my LB through my little 12" Biohazard...bueno. Especially in the latter hits that do not taste nearly has good. I'm using leiwns warm water technique as well. I'm medicated.

finchrock24,

stuey

The screen on the one side of the trench looks like its come out of the circular groove and is sinking.

I have always been really careful when cleaning the LB so its not due to "heavy handiness"

I dont think its effecting performance yet, but its obviously worrying me a bit.

Has anyone else had this happen?

stuey,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
stuey said:
The screen on the one side of the trench looks like its come out of the circular groove and is sinking.

I have always been really careful when cleaning the LB so its not due to "heavy handiness"

I dont think its effecting performance yet, but its obviously worrying me a bit.

That happened to me. Email Magic Flight and let them know.

Vicki,

CompassRosie

hippie hausfrau
HighVibes said:
So I combusted for the first time the other day...
I just did it too! Just took a hit, was talking and gesturing around with the Box still in my hand, and I JUST realized my finger was touching the smooth end of the battery and... AUGH. Only combusted a tiny piece of herb before I caught on and knocked it out, not the whole trench, but the stench was still appalling. It's been cleaned and I think it'll be OK.

HighVibes, you were asking about how long it takes iso to evaporate, it doesn't take long at all - mere minutes. Put the Box near a fan while it dries to help speed it up. Once the alcohol's evaporated you shouldn't be able to smell it (the alcohol) at all anymore.

CompassRosie,

stuey

Vicki said:
stuey said:

OK I have emailed them.

I feel a bit bad because they sent me a replacement only a few weeks back because my original vape was running a bit too cold. The replacement has been fantastic. Then yesterday I notice the screen has come out of the groove. Its definitely not my fault, but I still feel bad for some reason.

stuey,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
stuey said:
Vicki said:
stuey said:

OK I have emailed them.

I feel a bit bad because they sent me a replacement only a few weeks back because my original vape was running a bit too cold. The replacement has been fantastic. Then yesterday I notice the screen has come out of the groove. Its definitely not my fault, but I still feel bad for some reason.
I know exactly how you feel. It has actually happened to me twice. They replaced the first LB because the screen really came out of the groove badly, on both sides, and I honestly didn't cause it.

Then, after about a month, the second box started doing the same thing, but only on one side. :(

The screen hasn't come out completely, and it hasn't affected performance, so I never emailed Magic Flight about it.

I was actually waiting to have enough money to buy a third LB as a replacement.

Vicki,
Top Bottom