The High Times buyer's guide to vaporizers

Qbit

cannabanana
SmokingElectricity said:
I also know they wouldn't pay HT to get in the mag either. That's not how they operate and I like that. Each one is a handcrafted piece of art made specifically for it's owner. You can't mass produce this because it wouldn't be the same. ;)

They're chucks of turned wood with heating elements in them. They aren't art. Nice vapes though.

Qbit,

lwien

Qbit said:
They're chucks of turned wood with heating elements in them. They aren't art. Nice vapes though.

If something is created and that creation is appreciated for it's beauty or invokes an emotional response, then why couldn't it be considered art. Isn't what I just described the very definition of art?

lwien,

hereatlast

I wouldn't think you'd have to convince someone with a PD of their own that it's art. :o

hereatlast,

crawdad

floatin
jeffp said:
High Times is a bunch of bull dingy.

anything real successful (like that magazine, since its still being sold) is going to have to cater to a large audience and likely over the years they sacrificed here and there to manage getting bigger and "better", thats my take on it.

i love my glass vg so much i probably cant explain properly to covey, not sure id call it art but its something...for sure. as long as the piece you have is good to start with such as a solid design and operating mechanism, then you can figure out its rhythm of providing the right hits to get you where you want to go. :peace:

crawdad,

Qbit

cannabanana
lwien said:
Qbit said:

If something is created and that creation is appreciated for it's beauty or invokes an emotional response, then why couldn't it be considered art. Isn't what I just described the very definition of art?

Well you could say the same about a chick's arse - and pretty much anything else too. Hmm - maybe some chicks' arses are works of art ...

Um Sorry. Where was I ? Oh yeah, so anyway I guess it depends on your definition of art. Log vapes can certainly be well-designed and well-crafted, at least.

Qbit,

Smokey

Cloud Master
I think that by saying "works of art" is highlighted the manufacturing process, since it's not completely machine done. Since shaping (and finding) wood is such a complex manufacturing process, I think that the word "art" is not so much inappropriate. Take Ed's stems and all his other works. Log vape is a human concept, born from a man's idea and brought into our lives under the shape of a woodie coke can. It connects the beauty of nature, with our beloved natural herb. Art is an astract concept and deeply individual imho. Log vapes can be "art" for someone, "items" for others, the rest are just opinions and points of view, I don't really care being on one side or another :) just be free to appreciate something for what it is, no matter what everybody says/thinks.
just my :2c:

Smokey,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Maybe someone could write them and correct their stupidity? Or at least express their displeasure. :lol:

Vicki,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
This isn't exactly the place where I expected to find a debate on "What is art?"

I'm sure we'll settle it here once and for all, however, and end centuries of disagreement.

lwien

Qbit said:
Well you could say the same about a chick's arse - and pretty much anything else too. Hmm - maybe some chicks' arses are works of art ...

If the creation of a beautiful ass is consciously created, then yes...........absolutely it's a work of art. :)

Aw fuck, I've seen such beautiful asses, beautiful faces, beautiful legs, sunsets, butterflies, etc etc etc that I'd be hard pressed not to call them a work of art even if they were just an evolutionary happenstance. ;)

Edit: It's debates and conversations like this that makes FC such a joy to be part of.

pakalolo said:
I'm sure we'll settle it here once and for all, however, and end centuries of disagreement.

I ended it in post#27. Done. Now we just have to attract to FC all the art scholars on the planet. :brow:

Rico420

I get fucking pissed when i see ads for k2 in high times. they have no respect for the herb if they are willing to take money to advertise something that has no proven safety and is a research chemical 100%. As far as the vapes, its good that more people are getting exposed to the idea and various models of vapes, but in a commercially slated review nonetheless. Just know that the perceptive among us know that, and go for first hand experience / community experience in place of a $ influenced review.

Rico420,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Yeah and I get pissed when I see half naked chicks with bongs in the mags too. Its dumb and makes the cannabis culture look like the drunk culture... great.

Fact of the matter is the shit sells itself, you don't need a some young bimbo to hawk your pot. People have bought the shit for years without any advertising.

Advertising is mostly evil IMO anyway, it always target's the lowest common denominator. Mostly dumb men.

High Times is indeed pretty irresponsible with how they let marijuana be portrayed in their mag. I don't see how K2, XXX 1-800 #'s or half naked chicks will help the legalization of weed, but then again I guess not many people are willing to pay for ad space in a mag called high times :lol:

aesthyrian,

hereatlast

aesthyrian said:
Yeah and I get pissed when I see half naked chicks with bongs in the mags too.

I agree completely.

For those that haven't checked it out, High Times Medical Marijuana is worth the look IMO. Far from perfect, but a more mature publication of relevant information I think (even if you're not a med patient). I think they're up to issue #6 or so now....

hereatlast,

lwien

While I agree that those ads are distasteful, typically, marketing and advertising departments advertise to their target market. If the market wasn't already attracted to this type of advertising, they would be using another tactic to get their message across. Unfortunately, the lowest common denominator sits right in the middle of the bell curve, eh, as weird as that seems to be.

So while I and many of us don't like the image that they are portraying, it then becomes obvious that we are not who they are speaking to, so in that light, HT is really doing nothing wrong.

lwien,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Also at the end of the day they still need to make money to keep producing their mag.
I get annoyed with those ads as well, and I'm sure even within their offices not everyone is happy with them too, but if their circulation was high enough (no pun intended) then they wouldn't need to take money from pretty much anyone who will give it to them.

The ones advertising ridiculous contraptions like the 'Whizzinator' or whatever are just stupid, but they're selling a magazine which is mostly made up of stories about something that is still illegal for the vast majority of people. Never gonna be able to generate enough legit revenue to justify the high standard that many of us here on FC would like to see IMO. They also have their offices on 5th Ave in NY (419, 5th Ave I believe...) which can't be cheap either.

Having said that, I'm still rather disappointed with that list, especially if it gave the MFLB a bad review!

wilf789,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
Just because there's boobies doesn't mean the articles can't be useful/intriguing/factually relevant: maxim and playboy do alright.

wake n blake,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
wake n blake said:
So what publications (in print) would you guys recommed?
I guess the in-print part isn't that important... I don't know of many herb-focused magazines.
I did see one a few years ago that was like a high times and playboy combined... The name escapes me, though.

I recently heard the number one rule of journalism is don't (fundamentally) disrespect the product. i don't know but would guess SSV and Volcano don't advertise in HT, and they certainly aren't going to trash their advertisers, so we get quasi-news and mis-information.

Like has been said before, the only solution is to have many voices to listen to.

the dragon vap was being ebay'd by a local head shop and they told me the hinges melt rendering it useless pretty quickly (it's like a ABS plastic iolite that just has a torch lighter built-in pointed at a ceramic bowl).

VWFringe,

Raf007

Retailer
Hightimes is not always trustworthy ImHo.

I mean, how could they put the vapezilla ? I almost bought one at that time because of them....:mad:

Raf007,
Top Bottom