The HI

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Allison (SSFG), said I sounded like a duck. Laughed so hard, Ray came to check to see what the commotion was about.

So, wife's not feeling good, so I'm sticking home tonight. But about an hour ago...

<ring> Gary Jr (one if the twins from the story)...

Me: Hey, what's up?
Gary: what you doing?
Me: not much, why?
Gary: hey man, just wanted to remind you, you're welcome over, any time. Was fun last night.
Me: you really liked that bong and log vape, huh?
Gary: what? Huh? Oh yeah... That shit's the bomb.
Me: sorry Gary, family tonight.
Gary: damn. Well hey man... You're welcome any time.

Lol... You think I'm welcome any time? He supplies the herb, I supply the toys and means to an end, like very few. Plus, I don't ever have to call dibs on my chair. Everyone knows, to stay out of my seat. They come to me, I control the glass and the vape.

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: TV

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Either I'm really lame, a distinct possibility, or you need a vvps for this CRZ tube. I was watching Vitolo's videos with the CRZ and he sucked up the herb to the top of the tube. Didn't really pack it... but pushed down what was up around the top, into the tube and cleared the end of any debris. He then put the tube, into the CRZ and left it there. If I tried that, with this non-vv, it would catch fire. I've tried it with all kinds of draws (fast, slow, hard... harder, harder, HARDER... ooops, whew. Sorry.) If I leave it inserted. :| ... It torches.

My vvps should be here tomorrow. IMO, should have been today, its friggin' over the other side of the mountain between us. Hour drive away, was processed THRU there at 4:21am. It can't make it to my post office and house, in 4-5 hours time? Please...

I've seen them do it enough in the past, to know its quite possible.

These past couple days, have really been a blast. Having something I can grind properly just opens up everything. So easy to control vapor density, size of hit, flavor... everything. Can't wait until I can set my own voltage. Then I'll be able to properly test this tube.

BigDaddyVapor,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Daddy, you want to try and use "Mom's Marshmallow Method." :lol: Since the HI runs hotter than the CRZ, you want to slowly roast the herb. Don't insert the roasting tube in all the way at first and draw. The when you are ready to finish off the stem full, the tube can be inserted all the way. If you do it right away, the material tends to scorch. Just like putting a marshmallow too close to the fire too soon. ;)

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I was just trying to use it like I've seen the CRZ used, since I don't know otherwise. :p

I would assume, that's the purpose.

BigDaddyVapor,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
BigDaddyVapor - I should have told you about mom's marshmallow method when I sent you the tube. It was initially used with the Toasty Top since it ran hotter than the zap or PD. The traditional way of inserting the roasting tube fully into unit did not work so well with the TT. That is where I found the temperature could be controlled by the depth of insertion into the center tube. The HI runs hotter than the TT at a given voltage. Air mixing to control temperature is even more important with the HI. I start the roast with the roasting tip just at the entrance to the HI center tube. A grind that allows good air flow is important for the metal tip roasting tubes. As the roast progresses, the material will start blocking off air flow and require stirring / fluffing to restore the air flow. You should be able to insert the tube a bit farther into the center tube the more the material is roasted. If you have to do a milkshake draw, there is not enough air flow and it can get too hot. The chance of combustion decreases as the amount oil in the material decreases.
A variable voltage power supply is another method of controlling the temperature. If you want the temperature to always be lower, then a VVPS is the way to go. The VVPS will still allow you to get the higher temps, but it takes a bit longer to get there. I personally like the higher temp always available with the non-variable supply. I can enjoy it slowly with a lot of air mixing or hit it hard to finish it off quickly at any time.
Great story about your visit. I love hearing about those situations. Please be careful not to fall on your chest when taking those monster BDV tube / Sumac HI hits. We don't want any trips to the hospital. Thanks for posting the videos. I really like how you can pull the roasting tube to clear the chamber while you are still holding the HI in the same hand. The chance of blow-back is almost eliminated.
Nice to hear that you are spreading the joy with your sumac HI. You are a Vapmeister which is a very nice position to have.

Thanks mom.

Thanks Vito.

OhTheAgony - Thanks. It was about time I made a roasting tip like that. Will be selling them for less than my other stainless tip systems. You might like these tips since the bowl depth is in between the long side and the short side of my slide-in tips. Dumping the bowl between each hit will certainly give the best stir possible.
I'm not sure what material Rick used for his tubes. My poly tubes are only 10mm in diameter and will only fit into a 14mm gong using a thin sleeve of silicone. I just need to order some larger diameter poly to make some 14mm and 18mm pong tubes. It will be the same as making wong tubes.

u bwade wunner - I did use a tubing cutter (modified) for the dimple. Works well. The stainless is held in place with silicone exactly like the slide-in tip system since the tubing is the same size. It just doesn't have the 3/8" coupling and the screen is smaller.
Thanks for the rainforest sounds.

Thanks Vapinghole. I will make sure that you get one in your collection sometime.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Thanks for the tips, Alan. My first couple attempts at using the CRZ roasting rube, where just as you described it. My grind was too fine at the time, but it worked just as you said, starting with partial insertion to full, as the load roasted.

My fall, was a shock. I remember everything clear as day, then the lights just went out. They said I went from standing straight up, trying to stifle a cough, to falling straight over onto my side. I remember my head hitting the floor, but they've got nice padding under their carpet... so it didn't hurt. Then I was out again, because when I came to... I didn't have any idea where I was. I was thinking about something, while I was out and its been bugging me, because it seemed important and I remember, when I came to, thinking "Noooo... what was that!?"

But... I still had the presence of mind to set my THE BDV down! :D

Realistically, it was NOT funny, as it sounds. It felt like I had checked out. In fact, the entire night, Drew kept insisting I was dead and came back (though, that was probably HIsaber Sumac talking, by that point). But, I disregarded a lot of warning signs, I should have heeded. I kept it pretty light after that. I didn't take any fresh tubes, the rest of the night. They were literally having me reload with a fresh tube and topping of kief after 1 hit, sometimes I could talk them into 2... because there was still visible kief. But, usually, they wanted a fresh one. The guys I was with, there wasn't ANY shortage of herb... so I did as they told me. In fact, I swept up all they let go to waste. Lasted me until today. I only cut in about every 2 or 3 rounds. I was sufficiently ripped after my trip to the floor.

Problem with a HIsaber, is they're too damn much fun to play with. I'd save a lot more herb, if I wasn't so fascinated by and with it. I've got the glass/water pulls down perfect and know how each of my pieces hit it. In fact, I discovered one of my Cheap Bastard pieces and 11-arm tree, actually works sublime with HIsaber Sumac. I think I'm going to have Ray at SSFG put me together something similar. Tree percs seem to work exceptionally well, with the HIsaber.

20120907_191130.jpg

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
BDV, if moms roasting method doesn't work for you; I usually use my SS tips with a modest 11,4V, but I can get the same result on 11,2 if it's been on for a few hours.

Alan, that's the second stem-idea I've had you've liked & realized up to now. I like how this works but perhaps we should talk percentages first next time I'm shooting one to ya ;)

I really like the sound of a poly 18mm wong, keep me posted on that one please. Wood is very nice too, but I like to be able to just throw the stem in some ISO before I go to bed so I can just rinse it off in the morning & have it nice & clean again.

To be honest the length of the tip sounds a bit long for me, but since they're not that expensive I'll probably just grind them down to my own preferred length once I've figured that out :tup:

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Yeah, that's the only way I've got it to work so far. It was OK. But, I think I really need to try it, with the ability to bump down the voltage on this.

Water pieces, no problem... except its got to be a certain pull/perc... I haven't figured it out. Some of these people that bag on using water with vapor, like on Youtube! haven't ever hit a HIsaber going full-bore into a fat GonG roasting tube. Man, I thought big milky (combustion) bong loads expanded. The HIsaber super condenses the vapor then it explodes in your lungs. The Leviathan BigDaddyVapor Megatube: Destroyer of Sober! Bringer of STONED is actually a very good tube for use with the HIsaber. As it fills the perc chamber, pull the tube and just RIP. Perfect hit, every time... and it buries it DEEP in your lungs, where its dark and scary and it doesn't even want to think about leaving, until you forcibly expel, what's left.

Still trying to get the hang of the Saxo with it. Saxo, is one of the sleepers. Feels like you're taking this nice easy pull, then BOOM! Same with SSFG, except for the little gridded bubbler, which works surprisingly well. The MiO... BAH! Forget it. Feels like someone slammed your head against the wall and made you swallow barbed wire. The VB Mini Hydrator actually, is a pretty damn good pull off the HIsaber, same with the $40 Hydrator knock-off, so I assume the real deal would to. VB, actually tames vapor pretty well. They've been doing it long enough, I suppose.

Oh yeah and the piece above, which out of ALL my glass, this one preserves the flavor of the herb, longer and delivers smooooth hits. I've got a knock-off RooR 18-hole downstem in it... but, the tree just really tames the HI. I tried it, with just a j-hook the other day and it still performed excellent!

BigDaddyVapor,

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
I love it, Ed! Awesome. :tup: Here is a quick take on a piece I got just for the HI. I got it from the thedablab.com. They are located in S.F. I also have to say that I feel very comfortable making a hi $ purchase from these guys. They answer phones immediately, if you have any problems or any questions at all, and don't feel comfortable on the phone,,,,you can Skype them. Your purchase is sent 'bombproof'. I ordered on Monday evening and had my glass in hand yesterday afternoon. Check them out,,,,they have an awesome selection.

Yeah on it, no idea where though. I've e-mailed back and forth with Alan a couple of times. Seems like a good guy. He really cares about his customers and the safety of the materials he uses.

So I'll just wait patiently until my time comes. The wood used for Ed's is gorgeous, I'm looking forward to the day Alan asks me what kind of wood I want :p

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
Took my element out and I bubbled it for sure....Alan, I shot you an email to get another. Hey, I got the tube today as well. Thanks.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Damn Ed...
sparta.gif
EPIC!

Sweet piece Jeppy. I like the pull on the clear. Looks like a little purr going there.

Got the vvps today. And when they say "variable" wow... they mean variable. Amazing that a company can't make a well-made power supply of analog parts, in this day and age... pathetic. Its like $15 bucks (retail) in parts. We have a wizard electrical supply store in town. Think I'm going to take it to him. The voltage display is about .15 off (below) the actual voltage, it fluctuates a little to, but only by hundredths. Unlike the 0-15v they claimed... its 0-17. Thank goodness I have a multimeter.

I believe it was you, Jeppy... that had this one and it crapped out? I can see why. Though, I can keep it running. Its a pretty simple circuit. However, I'll probably just end up going the same route and upgrading to the $40 one. It looks to be quite a significant upgrade. Just didn't have the $$$ at the time, plus with the background in electronics, I figured I could keep this one running or improve it. There's a weird "loose" rattle, which I haven't figured out what it is yet (I'm going to have to remove the board with the regulator on it)... but it should be sufficient to provide 11-12vdc.

I did however, notice they seemed to address one problem. These cheaper ones are notorious for overheating regulators. They used to be mounted flat. They now mount it vertically, attached to a pretty hefty heatsink. Its got decent ventilation. Still, I'm going to remove the cover and drill holes in the top. You can feel the top getting warm, so if its ventilated... more cooling.

11.5 seems to be my preferred voltage so far. I added about a 1/4 to my usual pack, because of the lowered voltage. I got at LEAST 8 pulls off of it. I wish I would have counted, because it just kept going and going... with each stir. It was the darkest, consistent brown dust, I've seen... when done. This was on my SSFG 3pc, which I didn't much like, with the HI. Some may think the vvps isn't a game changer... I disagree, when it makes one of my favorite pieces of glass, pleasant to use, with such an awesome vape. Its a winner. :D

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
Thanks everyone. I love this small piece with the HI. Alan's roasting tubes allow awesome flavor. I wasn't living until I got some good glass to offer the HI..:bowdown:

u bwade wunner

Loving all this wong pong talk Alan.I'm even improving my english here on the Hi thread:lol:

Would these work with the Hi Daddy.have a laugh at the mammoth one on the bottom.What do you think.Vids too:D Are these guys C2 ok.

u bwade wunner,
Reactions: ilovebOObs

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I'm loving how every time I think it can't get any better, I find a new tweak in my draw and voltage, that just keeps making it better. Running at 11.2 now (11.05 on the fluctuating display :lol:). Got me thinking about an idea for a video. If I'm up for it, I'll try it tonight. Going to take a bit of time and I'm not feeling tip-top. Been vaping on straight Sativa today, just to stay functional. Should have switched over to a Hybrid a load ago. Just been croupy all day and its effecting my hits. Every one, irritates the congestion. First one that makes me cough, just does me in, for subsequent hits.

The Saxo is very versatile here. It performs and likes low or higher voltages. SSFG 3pc likes a lower voltage, gridded inline doesn't really care. Megatube wants it HOT! Both the Saxo and SSFG 3pc can pull off a load, for quite some time. Its very impressive.

I've got to clean out the SSFG first though. Got to make our best appearance. Sigh... this is really going to take a while to do. Almost as bad as time lapse.

Would these work with the Hi Daddy.have a laugh at the mammoth one on the bottom.What do you think.Vids too:D Are these guys C2 ok.

I like some CC pieces, but hear its made in America, but by underpaid and possibly illegal alien help. The shop near me, this is their "name" brand. They NEVER have any pieces like this. The stuff looks decent. But, if I'm going to pay those prices, it better say Mobius, SYN, etc, or I better have direct contact with the blower.

I can get a piece from Lev or Ray for the same money that blows away, anything on that page.

EDIT: Though I really like this perc arrangement. Hhmmmm. Ray makes nice stemlines and I know he does showerheads, he should be able to do that mushroom. I bet the pull RIPS on this thing.

u bwade wunner

Hope you dont mind Ill post that vid elsewhere.Its needed :D
its makes good reading, fresh reports on Hi function and usage.thanks BDV
Ive been vaping through my dubub a nice mix all day here and Its been a productive one with the Hi.Ive been simmering eucalypt oil on the Hi in between hits.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I wonder how a gridded stemline to reverse stemline in a tube would work? Basically just like that, but replacing the mushroom perc with a gridded stemline. And before any thinks of it... my idea! :p

My vision for a portable is a battery pack that slides into a matching wood cylinder of the same diameter as the HI. It would fit snugly into the bottom of the HI and there would be a plug end on the top. No switches. When it is plugged in, it is on. Simple as possible. A battery similar to what is used in the Torch flashlight...

That would be SO cool. :cool:

EDIT: Oh yeah, dropping down to 11.2 made the CRZ roasting tube, a MUCH more pleasant experience. I would describe it, as a shotgun in a glass tube. Going to drop it to 11, next time I load one.

BigDaddyVapor,

u bwade wunner

TV said:
My vision for a portable is a battery pack that slides into a matching wood cylinder of the same diameter as the HI. It would fit snugly into the bottom of the HI and there would be a plug end on the top. No switches. When it is plugged in, it is on. Simple as possible. A battery similar to what is used in the Torch flashlight...​
what about 3 18650 ecig batterries in a triangle formation.each Li ion battery by ultrafire is 3.7V and 3000ma/hour. dimensions of the battery are 65mm long and 17mm diameter.How would that work out power wise for the Hi.could the output voltage be controlled so its 12v
images

Considering heat up time is 5 minutes.Stick them into a wooden tube with a circular battery holder so they sit forming a triangle.Only issue would be higher than 13V voltage with the 3 in series.

I can dream.I imagine a plug in tube 5.1 male connection.Two strong neo magnets fitted to the base of the Hi and two fitted to the power handle a dial fo VV a green led when power is on.It would be one cool portable Hi saber

But could it happen realistically.We can dream

Here is a real wooden lightsaber! pretty awesome
7551982642_7ec126662d.jpg

Top Bottom