The HI

mestizo

Hi Alan,
I wonder if you are going to make the heating element tool available to everyone who owns a HI, I'm definitely interested in buying one.

mestizo,
Reactions: TV

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
It's well worth the wait :)

I managed to finally get a Voltage tester today and marked up my VV supply. Here it is for reference.
20042012102.jpg

Sorry for the blurry image - but you can make out 9,10,11 and 12 - I hope!

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Your 9v looks to be at the join of the orange and red section - is that right? Yours appears to have a much more even spread than mine. I did test mine several times to make sure that I was getting it right. I'm guessing though that yours is probably more accurate than mine as my readouts didn't decimalise.

I do think that there is enough of a difference between mine and yours that people should really invest in a Volt meter to get better usage out of the VV.

I know Alan posted in the Equipment forum for a cheap V-meter. Maybe you should stock some Alan for those that might not have an electrical tester at home (if you don't already).

J.R.R.Tokin',

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
do you use yours at 9v? i normally use between 11v-max. 99.% of the time on max. :D

ilovebOObs,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Honestly, I haven't even used it yet. Today, doing the volt testing, was the first time it's been plugged into the mains. I just use a fixed 12v and adjust technique - so MAX all the way for me too :D

J.R.R.Tokin',

Tom

I swear I check this thread more than I check facebook, and that's saying something. Beautiful HIs Alan, you really are a master woodworker.

I really havent felt this agony of waiting since I was a little kid waiting for christmass, it seems I've caught the HI bug even before I've gotten the unit.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Vapinghole - bOObs HIwalker is a JedHI knight and he does wield a mean HIsaber. The vapor is strong with him.

I have also transcended to the full voltage / tube position / air mix method of temperature control. Fun to try different methods.

mestizo - My plan is to include a heating element removal tool with each HI purchased since one of the features of the HI is a user replaceable / cleanable heating element.

J.R.R. - Have been thinking about the cheap voltage testers for a while now and I finally ordered some to include with each HI or TT purchased. Using the unit without knowing exactly what voltage is being applied is like driving without a speedometer. You never know exactly what speed you are going.

Thanks Tom. Hope I can make a lot of people happy.

EyeFonez

Herb Roaster
I have also transcended to the full voltage / tube position / air mix method of temperature control. Fun to try different methods.
@Alan I'm sure you've addressed this before but whats your favorite roasting method?

Also whats your preference water? or no water?

EyeFonez,

tuscan tins

boobs and I like our HI on the hot side... I've been keeping my VV PA at 75% or more. I have even accidentally combusted a few bowls. :D

tuscan tins,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
@Alan I'm sure you've addressed this before but whats your favorite roasting method?

Also whats your preference water? or no water?

The Vapor Lung is probably my favorite roasting method. It gives the biggest range of flavor and effects. I enjoy the flavor of direct draw. There is no water mess. No heavy draw.
Water works well for trapping particulates and some cooling. The larger the surface area, the better the cooling. Heat transfer also has a time element. The VL has a fairly large surface area and several seconds passage will have transferred heat from the vapor. The heavier particulates will settle out in the bag. The hits are always so nice from the VL.

Direct draw is also nice because you can feel if it is starting to get too hot and close to combustion. If you are having trouble getting good air flow, there is a possibility of combustion. The higher the concentration of oil in the material, the higher the chance is for combustion as well. I like to hover the end of the roasting tube at the end of the HI center tube. There is a whistle of air as it mixes to a cooler roasting temperature. The ideal roast would be one involving a swirl of hot air to totally immerse the material in a cyclone of hot air and eliminate hot / cool spots. Sort of how I roast coffee in my air popcorn popper. Will have to work on that one.

You will be a JedHI knight before long staticsunn.

Alan, I sent you an email last night about getting in line for one of these. Sent it to alan@toasty-top.com, hope it's the right one and you got it. I know you're very busy, I just want to make sure I get a place in line. I've tried using my Woodeez through my SG Stemline but it's not even worth it since the airflow is so bad. The HI looks beautiful and I love all the stem/tube options. And thanks for all your awesome videos iloveb00bs, once I saw you milk that Sheldon Black I knew I had to have one of these!

EDIT: nevermind, I just got your email Alan. Thanks a lot!

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
nice welcome to the HI club!!!! dam jealous of your SG piece WhiteRyno, that piece is gonna be sick with HI and VXC.

ilovebOObs,

EyeFonez

Herb Roaster
Welcome Ryno/ Nugghuffer! I'm eager as well to see your HI with your SG.

Thanks for the quick reply Alan, oh and I shot you an email back as well.

EyeFonez,
nice welcome to the HI club!!!! dam jealous of your SG piece WhiteRyno, that piece is gonna be sick with HI and VXC.

Thanks b00bs, I can't wait to try the HI and Cloud with my SG piece. I don't think I have to wait too much longer for the Cloud since I preordered 8/5/2011, but it'll probably be several months until I get the HI since I just got on the list today.

Welcome Ryno/ Nugghuffer! I'm eager as well to see your HI with your SG.

Me too, but it will be a LONG time before I get that special email from Alan. It's pretty cool how everyone in this thread is really chill and helpful. I've been using this forum for a while now but just recently registered so I could join in on certain vape discussions. It's crazy how friendly people are in this thread compared to others (VXC specifically).

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Thanks b00bs, I can't wait to try the HI and Cloud with my SG piece. I don't think I have to wait too much longer for the Cloud since I preordered 8/5/2011, but it'll probably be several months until I get the HI since I just got on the list today.

Me too, but it will be a LONG time before I get that special email from Alan. It's pretty cool how everyone in this thread is really chill and helpful. I've been using this forum for a while now but just recently registered so I could join in on certain vape discussions. It's crazy how friendly people are in this thread compared to others (VXC specifically).

You've definitely come to the right thread, my friend. I'm on the very special wait list with ya, and it's a chill one. Though we're all as anxious as you! Alan is the man, and I'm happy to wait and support him.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Good to hear from you nugghuffer. Those videos from bOObs do make it hard to wait.
It is all about the air flow. That was my main design objective with the HI. The roasting tubes are a vital part of the system. They have been a bit of an obsession for me lately.

Got a reply back to you EyeFonez. No worries.

Thanks Vapinghole.

Top Bottom