The HI

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Congratulations on your new HI. It is a little different from the original log style vape.

No official manual yet for the HI. Vaporpedia does seem like the appropriate place for the instructions. I really do need to take a day away from production to put something together.

The glass and silicone bowl roasting tubes are meant to be used with the bowl pointing straight up or held horizontally. The silicone is rated for the temperatures produced by the HI and is medical grade. It is basically inert. The silicone tube will also fit into a 14mm gong.
If a little material does get into the HI center tube, it can be pulled out by inhaling on the roasting tube.
The one thing you will find is that if too much material is loaded into the roasting tube it can block air flow and cause too much heat to build up in the material. Always try to maintain good airflow through the material. This may require some fluffing or stirring.

Enjoy your new toy.

1. No official manual.

2. The herb should not fall into the HI. In fact, you probably shouldn't be resting the glass stem on the HI. When using the all-glass turbo tube, the HI is a two-handed vape. There are two ways of preventing herb from falling into the HI:

A. Lightly tamp the herb down in the bowl so it doesn't fall out. I find that a cheapo e-cig fits perfectly, but you could also use a wooden dowel or even your pinky finger if it's small enough. You'll need to experiment with different fill levels to get the appropriate balance of temperature and airflow. Start with smaller amounts and work your way up.

B. After placing herb in the bowl, hold the all-glass turbo tube horizontally so that none falls out. Start drawing air gently through the turbo tube, keeping it horizontal. Bring the HI up to the turbo tube and draw some warm air through. As soon as the HI gets close enough to the turbo tube, you'll see the herb compress as its affected by heat. This should be plenty to "glue" the herb together into a a nice little pack that will not fall out. From here you can hold the HI vertically, horizontally, at 45 degree angle, whatever, it won't fall out.

After you stir (if you stir), the herb will again be capable of falling out. At this point, you can lightly tamp again or just hold the HI and turbo tube horizontally.

3. The rubber (silicone) / glass turbo tube. Yep, herb goes in the silicone bowl, just as it goes in the bowl-end of the all-glass turbo tube. The same rules apply here, though the herb will be less likely to fall out on its own due to it touching silicone instead of smooth glass. A light tamping will probably still be in order.

Slide the rubber part of the tube over the heat port of the HI. It should stay in place on its own, but you should also be able to slide it up and down a little easily to adjust airflow/distance from the herb to the heat.

This might not count as "official" help, but it should get you started. Any questions, just ask.

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Enjoy your new toy.

Thanks Alan! However I consider this less a toy, and more of a tool, or useful work of art. You do an amazing job. Did you make the glass stems yourself?

The reason I am asking for a manual is because I would need some pictorial instructions hopefully. Since this isn't available I guess my next course of action is some youtubing, and trying to extract the knowlegde here in this thread.

One last question - other than the glass stem one. I had it on for about 20-30 minutes to heat up. The temp was set exactly at the break between the red and orange. I assume that's a bit high, but, the HI smelt pretty much like roasted wood (familiar eterra smell). Does that smell go away after X amount of hours being left on? I think I read something like that, but between all the log vape threads I might have glanced at, it's all a blur now :/

sessnet,
Reactions: TV

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks Alan! However I consider this less a toy, and more of a tool, or useful work of art. You do an amazing job. Did you make the glass stems yourself?

The reason I am asking for a manual is because I would need some pictorial instructions hopefully. Since this isn't available I guess my next course of action is some youtubing, and trying to extract the knowlegde here in this thread.

One last question - other than the glass stem one. I had it on for about 20-30 minutes to heat up. The temp was set exactly at the break between the red and orange. I assume that's a bit high, but, the HI smelt pretty much like roasted wood (familiar eterra smell). Does that smell go away after X amount of hours being left on? I think I read something like that, but between all the log vape threads I might have glanced at, it's all a blur now :/

Thanks. I did make the glass stems myself. I need to make more in fact.

The break between the orange and red on your VV power supply might be a little low. Play with it a little into the red. Unfortunately, the voltage is not linear with dial position. bOObs posted a photo of his dial with voltages written down at various positions.
You may be getting the smell of the material that was down in the center tube. I will find that happening occasionally. The heating element is removable for cleaning if too much gets down inside. Most of the time you can just turn it upside down and give it a tap to remove any debris. There should normally be only a warm wood smell. It may take a few hours to toast off any residue in the center tube. There should have been some beeswax beads to condition the wood. Melt them into the side of the warm wood and work the wax into the dry wood.

Thanks for the instructions OKcomputer. Always nice to have others offering assistance.

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I got mine from mephisto a few days ago. It looks amazing. I've used an eterra before (first log vape), and I though this would be basically the same.

Ah, so you're the one who snagged that one, I was after it too, lol

But I just heard my place on the list isn't to far off anymore, so I'll just have to suck it up for a bit longer :)

Pictures?

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Big "C" little "c". What begins with "C". Cannabis, convection, carb, and cough begin that way. :D

This is a recent addition to the HI. It is a section of poly tubing as a support for the adapter. It just fits snugly in place to keep the adapter from moving when inserting the plug.

hic.jpg

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
My wife likes the setup a little too much - she's always tempted to cash as much of the bowl as she can on the first hit. I told my wife that she should be in the video, maybe wearing a Nacho Libre mask to hide her identity. Her hits with the HI through the HiSi easily match some of the hits you see SM55 taking through glass with the Cloud in his videos.

OKComputer, it sounds like your wife has the right idea...... :lol: Girl HI Power!!!! :rockon:

momofthegoons,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I missed the last two posts on the page before this one.

Thanks staticsunn. The HI can be disassembled for cleaning. The small poly tube should work pretty well for removing the heating element. If it doesn't work for you, I have some new metal tools for removing the heating element I can send you. It is nice to be able to access the center tube and clean it with alcohol and a cotton swab when the heating element is removed. Concentrates can sometimes get stuck to the the center tube and melt their way down the tube. The screen in the center tube can start getting blocked too. Any debris that falls down into the core area can get drawn into the center tube and then caught on under side of the screen. A fresh clean unit is always nice.

OKcomputer - Glad to hear you and your wife are having great luck with water filtration. The HI can easily toast the entire bowl if you can continue inhaling. The water does make it easier to take bigger tasty hits. I'm always amazed at how quickly it does fill glass with vapor.

jackmormon

Loving my HI. I had a slight detour with an under performing heating element. Alan got me straightened out ASAP with his new heating element removal tool which is completely idiot proof. (I am an idiot and could change out the element blindfolded with the tool!). This experience reinforced how cool Alan's design is. EVERYTHING electrical on an HI is user replaceable. I still have a big learning curve to go through as there are so many tube/tip combinations to use. Not having a "heat sink" that limits how far you can insert the heating tube into a bowl is the big key to its flexibility.

There is a cleaning tool that I use with *EVERY* vape and feel that it is my #1 vape accessory:

The Giotto Rocket: http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA190...LSPI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334861879&sr=8-1

It blows out any debris that might be in or around the heat port on any log vape and is just a fantastic cleaning tool. Great for cameras, laptops, etc. also.

Happy early 4/20 everyone!

u bwade wunner

Welcome Sessnet.Enjoy the ride.I expect youre Hi will be with you a long time.

Thanks to Alan also for helping me survive a few hairy days with a broken Hi.I broke my center tube and it needed to be rewelded.Alan was there the whole way guiding me through the procedure.It was tricky but Alan made it childs play as usual.all work carried out here in Oz meant less down time waiting for shipments etc.

Thanks for the excellent customer service Alan and Happy 420 and its Friday.definitely time to celebrate :party:

One Hi to rule them all!

I ll pop a picture of jess up here all well and recovered.

all recovered after major surgery.the darker rim on the reheart is beautiful and becomes very dark when heated.

20120420115810.jpg

and the Dream team The heat island and a Cocobolo stem from Ed.
20120420133340.jpg

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
420 posts and almost 4/20. Definitely time to celebrate.

Jackmormon - You will find just the right technique. Glad the new tool worked. The field test was a success. Just how I hoped it would be. Thanks for the tip on the air cleaning tool. I will definitely have to pick one up. Makes much more sense than cans of compressed air.

That bowl looks wicked good bOObs. Wish I had access to concentrates.

Glad to see your lady jess back in action u bwade wunner. I hadn't realized you needed to weld the center tube to the washer. That must have been a tricky weld. Nice that you are so handy. The method I'm using for connecting the center tube to the washer is much more secure now. It is great that the HI is so serviceable.
Congratulations on the new roasting tube from Ed. It is a beauty. Nice to see more roasting tube creations.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Happy 4/20 everyone. Hope the day is good for all.

I had the chance to get a photo today of how heat will change the color of wood.
All the wood was cut from the same piece of dark cherry. The one on the left is blank and has tenons cut on the ends for grabbing it with the lathe jaws. The wood starts out so small that I can only grab the corners. It starts out a touch tall and then I trim it down to the precise height. The middle one is a brand new HI that has been heated and treated with pure beeswax. The one on the right is my shop unit that is always plugged into 12.2 volts. The wood will naturally turn this dark. The heat just accelerates the process.

darkcherrychange.jpg

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Thanks for the explanation Alan. Both my Dark Cherry pieces have darkened. Personally I like that they are getting a darker, richer colour and the grain is becoming more prominent and defined.
Do you think the unheated bottom section will ever catch up in tone to the upper section?

J.R.R.Tokin',
Top Bottom