The HI

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
i don't have a problem with the bottom, i sometimes imagine a cutting down the HI so its even smaller and having a straight plug, since i don't mind leaving on its side . but i'm happy with the HI as is.

ok the HI is glued together, not the best looking work but it makes my feel better inside :)
p4114031.jpg

ilovebOObs,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I would love to not have to cut that hex slot in the side, but that is what I have found to work for the right angle adapters. The hex slot is all hand cut and filed. An idea I have been thinking about is to have a wooden base that slides into the hole in the base of the HI. The wooden base would have a power plug sticking up from the top that would connect with the power plug in the HI. The wooden base would have a power socket in the side. This configuration should also allow the HI to connect to a battery back once I get that figured out. The thread in heating element is one of the big differences with the HI and TT. Maintenance and repair is as easy as changing a light bulb. I really need to keep that design. The trick is getting the power to turn 90 degrees. The wooden base may increase the cost a bit due to the precise nature and extra work. I will probably stay with the hex slot design for now so I don't get too much farther behind in making HI's. Two styles is tough enough the way it is.

Pretty good repair job bOObs. Burl woods can have some pretty funky grains. Sometimes a bit brittle. It is always a trade off on position of the slot with the look of the wood. Straight grain at the slot is much stronger.

I actually don't get an unfinished or rough sense from the bottom of my HI at all. The finishing work around the hexagonal cutout is actually really impressive. The right-angle plug fits perfectly into the hexagonal cutout. Every square millimeter of visible wood on the thing is sanded smooth, including the *inside* of the bottom where the plug goes in. WAY more finished than a PD, which has unsanded wood surrounding the heatport.

Only issue is that through normal use, the plug can come out slightly. When it does, it extends past the bottom of the HI, causing it to sit off-balance. Nothing that can't be fixed by snugging the plug back in tight.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
The right angle adapter plug is design to exactly match the bottom of the HI so it will can't drop down when it is setting on the table. There is a tremendous amount of precision needed for turning the wood bodies. The height of the body has an impact on where the heating element sets within the stainless core tube. Each one has to be very close to perfect in dimensions for the design to work well.
The light weight of the unit does allow the cord to muscle the unit around a bit. My bamboo HI is always wanting to fall over. Probably not so good for aromatherapy.

Having a unit just lay on its side with a straight plug in the bottom should work just fine for heat massage/ hand warming and herb roasting. It would definitely be cheaper to make and take less wood bOObs. My very first unit was actually turned that way and then I added a press fit wood base to accept the angled plug.

Forgot to mention that I am also providing a little "C" shaped piece of poly tubing in the base to keep the right angle plug from moving.

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I actually don't get an unfinished or rough sense from the bottom of my HI at all. The finishing work around the hexagonal cutout is actually really impressive. The right-angle plug fits perfectly into the hexagonal cutout. Every square millimeter of visible wood on the thing is sanded smooth, including the *inside* of the bottom where the plug goes in. WAY more finished than a PD, which has unsanded wood surrounding the heatport.

That's very good to hear actually, thanks.

I should probably have added that I've never seen a HI in person. All I've seen are pictures and videos so far which probably don't do it justice.

An idea I have been thinking about is to have a wooden base that slides into the hole in the base of the HI. The wooden base would have a power plug sticking up from the top that would connect with the power plug in the HI. The wooden base would have a power socket in the side. This configuration should also allow the HI to connect to a battery back once I get that figured out. The thread in heating element is one of the big differences with the HI and TT. Maintenance and repair is as easy as changing a light bulb. I really need to keep that design. The trick is getting the power to turn 90 degrees. The wooden base may increase the cost a bit due to the precise nature and extra work. I will probably stay with the hex slot design for now so I don't get too much farther behind in making HI's. Two styles is tough enough the way it is.
Pretty good repair job bOObs. Burl woods can have some pretty funky grains. Sometimes a bit brittle. It is always a trade off on position of the slot with the look of the wood. Straight grain at the slot is much stronger.

Haha, I guess I could have known you're already working on that part too Alan. It's nice to get those little glimpses in to how a design keeps evolving, thanks for that (too).

I actually asked Dave for something like you describe to use with a UD, except I called it a docking station. I noticed I can still take a hit or two out of my UD when I remove the power plug, and I thought it would be nice to have something like that to use a UD (or any log-vape for that matter) wireless that way. The downside would be that you need to wait a little bit between hits to let it get back to temp again, but you could just pick it up with the dock and use it like that if you're in a rush/want to take multiple hits in a shorter time.

ilovebOObs

well something good did come yesterday, as everyone here knows i love vaping hash and other concentrates using the HI. but vaping oil is a real pain since its sticky, its just impossible to pack it in a bowl without making a mess of every thing. so last night i tried dropping a few drops of oil into some bubble hash to make some oil pellets that can easily be loaded at any time. here are some pics.

p4114034.jpg

p4114038.jpg

p4114039.jpg

Wow Alan, you continue to surprise all of us, love the wooden base idea. Keep up the amazing work that you are doing.

SativaLover420,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
well something good did come yesterday, as everyone here knows i love vaping hash and other concentrates using the HI. but vaping oil is a real pain since its sticky, its just impossible to pack it in a bowl without making a mess of every thing. so last night i tried dropping a few drops of oil into some bubble hash to make some oil pellets that can easily be loaded at any time. here are some pics.

p4114034.jpg

p4114038.jpg

p4114039.jpg
Boobs... I dont know why, but your little balls reminded me of this...
:brow:

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master

p4114034.jpg

p4114038.jpg

p4114039.jpg

Holy shit, bOObs! Double 'like'

ilovebOObs

Very nice!

bOObs bubbles.

Do bOObs bubbles work in bOObs glass nipples?

hahahah they do work but i like the size of the all glass tube better, plus it's easier to clean up once done. the more i think about the base idea the more i like it :D but i got no complaints about this current design. i love it!

vapinghole, coulda been there bro, hahahaha

ilovebOObs,

HoneyAir

The thread in heating element is one of the big differences with the HI and TT. Maintenance and repair is as easy as changing a light bulb. I really need to keep that design.

I agree 100%, I LOVE this feature of the HI. I am maintaining my PD right now and I have to be very careful about not causing a short [killed two transformers accidentally when I didn't realize this] so your design is perfect in its elegant simplicity.

HoneyAir,

Vapinghole

hahahah they do work but i like the size of the all glass tube better, plus it's easier to clean up once done. the more i think about the base idea the more i like it :D but i got no complaints about this current design. i love it!

vapinghole, coulda been there bro, hahahaha

Next time bOObsy, for sure. You're quite the gracious FCer!

Vapinghole,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
I agree 100%, I LOVE this feature of the HI. I am maintaining my PD right now and I have to be very careful about not causing a short [killed two transformers accidentally when I didn't realize this] so your design is perfect in its elegant simplicity.
I agree too. I think this is a major step forward in log vape design. :bowdown: I've never liked the side plug design and the sealed bottom on most log vapes. I also don't understand why they cover up that beautiful wood with leather. I got the last "vegan" PD a few years ago that has no leather on the bottom. Looks much nicer, and no dead cow hanging off my vape!

One way to get around the plug problem would be to make a larger log, so that a straight plug can be used with only the wire part needing a small notch. This would make the vape 2 to 3 cm longer, and it might need to be larger diameter as well, so that there is room to access it with the fingers. Judging by how popular the small size is, this might not go down too well. I'm also a fan of the small size!

hazy,

Vapinghole

Jammin Sly & the Family Stone today (Hot Fun in the Summertime) and it made me long for my yet-to-be-created HI. I was also compelled to create my own lyrics:

"Beginning of Spring and Alan's on track. HI, HI, HI HI there..."

Yes, I just vaped my nuts off. ; )

You're doing great work, Alan! Cheers!!

Vapinghole,

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
Jammin Sly & the Family Stone today (Hot Fun in the Summertime) and it made me long for my yet-to-be-created HI. I was also compelled to create my own lyrics:

"Beginning of Spring and Alan's on track. HI, HI, HI HI there..."

Yes, I just vaped my nuts off. ; )

You're doing great work, Alan! Cheers!!
Dude,,,If you are jammin Sly,,you deserve a HI right now! :nod:

Jeppy,
Top Bottom