The HI

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
I have been using my Hi with a VV with a digital readout and 13v seems to be the sweet spot for me. This is perfect temp I have found for using through glass.

Gonzo,
I have been using my Hi with a VV with a digital readout and 13v seems to be the sweet spot for me. This is perfect temp I have found for using through glass.

13v sounds like about where I'd ideally want mine as well, at least when I'm craving the biggest possible hits. The Jameco 10081 (aka the stock Purple Days power supply) is said to run at about 13.8v or 14v, which ended up being just a little too hot for me. The VV at max setting is plenty hot 90% of the time, but sometimes I just want to go a tad bit hotter.

Could you give some more details regarding your PS set-up Gonzo (price, model, cable, etc.)?

OKcomputer,

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
wow you guys really like it hot. the only time i feel i need more heat is when using the ss tube roasting or when using some hash.

ilovebOObs,

psyshaman

Vapor Viking
My HI's got their first test drive last night.... Amazing little beauties they are, safe to say I slept like a log last night after getting to know my new foggy friends!!

psyshaman,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Glad to hear they arrived safely psyshaman. They are some very special units. The black walnut Toasty Top was turned with the grain 90 degrees from normal. It makes two sides very dark and two sides very reflective of light. The dark sides get hot and the light sides just warm. It has the new high flow / fast heat up core.
The walnut burl HI has a very interesting grain that makes it almost look clear like a marble.
The purpleheart HI is the last of a very old branch that I had. It was dark purple all the way through.
I have thought about other materials for the HI, but wood is the only thing that I have found that will do the job well. Nice that there are so many woods from which to choose.
I hope you will enjoy testing all the different types of tubes. They each have their own character and performance.

tthis.jpg

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
I have thought about other materials for the HI, but wood is the only thing that I have found that will do the job well.
I'm sure you have considered stag horn. That might be cool.

Jeppy,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I'm sure you have considered stag horn. That might be cool.

Briefly, but the idea of roasting bone or ivory was not very appealing. It may also be too conductive. Would definitely be brittle. Wood just seems to work so well. Maybe I can find a hemp stalk big enough for a HI. It would have to be a big plant. Still need to try a bamboo pole. I guess technically that is grass.

Alan,

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Oh my! What a lovely picture!! I've got a 'woody!' Keep up the good (wood) work Alan!

Vapinghole,

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
Briefly, but the idea of roasting bone or ivory was not very appealing. It may also be too conductive. Would definitely be brittle.
You're right, and, I guess that was kind of stupid on my part. :doh:

Jeppy,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
You're right, and, I guess that was kind of stupid on my part. :doh:

Nothing wrong with thinking of new ideas or materials. I do it all the time. They don't always work out. Sometimes they do. Never dreamed it would work to solder a heating element directly to the power socket, but tried it anyhow.
Maybe I should try a corn cob or stalk for a HI. That might be about the right size. We have plenty of them around here. hmmm. Too many things to try.

Thanks Vapinghole. It was tough to send them off. I don't have any really nice ones for myself. They always get sent away. At least I can use them for a little while.

Alan,

beers

Oh my TV I think that settles what type of wood I want to get whenever my name comes up on the list. Beautiful picture indeed! I love the black walnut TT and the walnut burl HI.

beers,

psyshaman

Vapor Viking
I am proud to be the owner of the bunch in that pic, they are extremely hot little beauties!
It certainly is great trying to figure out which of the tube selection I like best, there are so many of them!
I test one then another then the other again and the results from the last few nights always seem to be... I'm too lifted to tell! Haha
Thanks so much Alan, amazing products!

psyshaman,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Some beautiful work there Alan. Congratulations psyshaman; you really scored some nice vapes. Glad you're having fun with all the tubes. ;)

momofthegoons,

u bwade wunner

p3070110.jpg

Lady Red heart full of eastern promise

p3070113.jpg

Hot Summer evenings on the deck.

On a group session right now.she is fitting right in.
Alans keen eye and imagination at work full bore tubes through to the hi itself.Flawless.all my boxes are ticked:)

I am still testing but 2 o clock fits right VV wise and my technigue is using the hi like a lighter and holding the stem to my lips like a cigar/cigarette ,the bowl end slightly elevated. then with my left hand I dip the heater element into the herb bowl then pull air through the stem and blaze till the vapor overtakes you and retreat removing the heater from the stem.Its a loose fit so it slips off easy then repeat.

Immediate heat recharge or very little heat loss during use, the Hi works as a pass around vape and what Alan said about group use is true .only thing is My mate Phantom dropped the wooden stem after two minutes use and broke my glass bowl on the wooden stem.

id love an unbreakable bowl that would fit over the heating element but i guess stainless would be too heavy.Alan? would it work??..I have a silicone bowl on the wooden stem now which is working exceptionally well and unbreakable.I have looked at the abv and it is like dark brown toast crumbs.No combustion here.its pretty hard to combust and ive filled bowl after bowl no cleaning for two days or so.

oh one little thing this is the hardest hitting vape I have used.It can smash a bowl in 3 hits or if you turn temps down you can enjoy lots of wispy hits which can be really nice.Not tried with water yet.easy does it. tidy now

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Those walnut TT and HI look awesome Alan!

I've seen a couple of hemp stalks that would have been big enough, cool idea. Aren't you worried the wood is to light though?

Have you ever considered using marble or granite for a piece?

edit: nice shots Bwade! I'm actually looking for one of those salt lamps for my own vape-corner, haha. Is that leather pouch you stash-box? I always enjoy looking at others their paraphernalia :cheers:

OhTheAgony,

u bwade wunner

Thanks dude.
yes the leaf box holds stems and stash.it came from Cambodia when we visited.we visited the killing fields in the morning and fired off ak47s in the afternoon.It was surreal.I love leather and wood together.The lamp works well.It helps with creating good energy around you and helps balance all the positive ions that come from electrical gear like tvs stereo equip etc....so they say.Plus the light is very relaxing.That and cafe del mar No.9 and a hot Hi in youre hand = Bliss

u bwade wunner,

Qbit

cannabanana
Thanks dude.
yes the leaf box holds stems and stash.it came from Cambodia when we visited.we visited the killing fields in the morning and fired off ak47s in the afternoon.It was surreal.I love leather and wood together.The lamp works well.It helps with creating good energy around you and helps balance all the positive ions that come from electrical gear like tvs stereo equip etc....so they say.Plus the light is very relaxing.That and cafe del mar No.9 and a hot Hi in youre hand = Bliss

I was in Cambodia in '07. Loads of weed. And happy pizza. :cool: Did you get to Kampot?

Qbit,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks OhTheAgony, mom, and beers. I love how the black walnut shines in the sunlight. I would love to have a HI or TT made from petrified wood. It would take a bit of work grinding and polishing the rock. The big challenge I would have with using a hemp stock is threading in the heating element. How big do grape vines get? That might make an interesting HI. If it was made from the knee of the vine, it could be a grape knee HI. :lol:

You are welcome psyshaman. Glad to hear you are having fun testing the tubes. I enjoy them each in their own way.

Happy to hear you are enjoying the red heart lady. Sorry to hear about the glass tube tip. Nice to hear you modified and improvised. Silicone is definitely more durable for a group setting. I have been using my new glass roasting tips connected to a wood tube with a silicone sleeve. So nice roasting in glass. I just need to send you a new glass tip and a shorter silicone sleeve.

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Some lovely pieces posted - always nice to see :)
Loving that glass tipped wood stem too. Great combo for look and performance I bet.

J.R.R.Tokin',

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
that would be an interesting piece for me, if you actually do make one, gave me a holla first :)

Will give you as shout when I get one made.

So some of you may be wondering why I don't just take two of my new glass roasting tips and put them together with a silicone sleeve and a screen in between? That way it is a shortie glass double tipped turbo tube that will fit in a 14mm gong and you can switch ends each time so that oil does not get a chance to build up and start clogging the screen. The time between cleanings should go up dramatically. More testing required.

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
So some of you may be wondering why I don't just take two of my new glass roasting tips and put them together with a silicone sleeve and a screen in between? That way it is a shortie glass double tipped turbo tube that will fit in a 14mm gong and you can switch ends each time so that oil does not get a chance to build up and start clogging the screen. The time between cleanings should go up dramatically. More testing required.

dang it i broke one of the tip you sent me already, trying to make one of these. :(

ilovebOObs,
Top Bottom