1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The HI

Discussion in 'Plug-in Vaporizers' started by Alan, Dec 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. arb

arb Well-Known Member

I am looking for matching burls so it is worth it to me!

Vapeur Rogue, Whisper and jpdnkstr like this.
  2. 204Markie

204Markie Well-Known Member

Update: The SS foil really made the base heat of my HI higher. It was a huge performance boost, I've got my voltage converter at 11.7 V

Though I kinda forgot how to use the VC.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Alan, jpdnkstr and arb like this.
  3. darkstar72

darkstar72 New Member

Finished reading most of this thread. Allen your work is amazing. The roasting tubes and logs look great and it sounds like the HI and tubes deliver on flavor and efficiency. I am looking forward to one day receiving a HI, mini vvps and a variety of your roasting tubes.

4. Alan

Alan Master JedHI Manufacturer

Thanks for the tip about the Arizer stems. I ordered one to try out and it does work perfectly. I prefer to use a domed ss screen on top of the glass screen to keep debris out of the glass tube and my lungs. I also discovered that a silicone sleeve stretched around the Arizer stems allows them to fit nicely into the iHeat, Lil' Bud, Stempod, etc. Quite a versatile roasting tube as it turns out.
    The resistor I am using is an Ohmite 95J20RE. It has a molded vitreous enamel coating which provides consistent size / shape and maintains its hard coating at high temperatures.

@204Markie - Glad to hear the ss foil has added performance to your HI. I did notice that I was getting a very dark roast at 12v when I tested it before sending. It now has a similar performance to the SS heater cover, but heats up much faster. Nice to have the voltage controller to fine tune the temperature.

@darkstar72 - Thanks for the kind words. I need to start a thread just for my roasting tubes.

5. blokenoname

blokenoname DIY Log Maker

Nice find, re the fit with iHeat, Lil' Bud etc. Thank you :clap:
    Should have thought of that, as with a silicone sleeve (or rather two; shorter one at the bottom is from thinner tubing), the short stems also make for nice 14mm/18mm GonGs :nod:
    Cover it from top to bottom sans a centimeter or so, where you put it to your lips, and you've got a neat sturdy glass roasting tube/18&14mm GonG adapter combo there, that'll probably surrive some falls ;)
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the info on the resistor. Might give it a try :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Alan, 204Markie, arb and 1 other person like this.
  6. blokenoname

You sure about 95J there? Mouser specs say, it's a 6,7 mm diameter, which would make it actually a smaller diameter, than the 25J, which is 7 mm.

https://www.mouser.de/datasheet/2/303/res_90-1228638.pdf

Or did you mean the 90J? That has a 8,7 mm diameter and is rated at 11w, but is also nearly double the length of the 25J. The 96J, which is also 8,7 mm, doesn't seem in production currently.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  7. 204Markie

Speaking of Arizer and other vape accessories I found that the oil cans for Davinci fit perfectly in the glass roasting tubes and act as a "stem stopper" so my heater doesnt touch the herbs if I want to go hands free with water. I'm sure you could use an O ring in the roasting tube but I just dont have any.

As for Arizer I was wondering if anyone has done anything or tried to do something with the cyclone bowl? If its 18mm I could always use an adapter and I have a mini roasting tube from my BonG bamboo on glass that fits natively in a 14 mm. So I may try it out unless you guys feel like it wont work?

As always 420 in the 204

Vapeur Rogue, Alan and arb like this.
  8. Alan

Here is a photo comparing the 95 to the 25. The 95 is 6mm in diameter and the 25 is 5mm in diameter. Both are below the maximum diameter. No minimum diameter is specified.

[​IMG]

You are welcome about tip for the silicone to adapt the Solo tube to iHeat, Lil' Bud, etc. Nice job on the 18/14mm adapter tube. Amazing number of tube configurations that can be made with silicone.

9. blokenoname

@Alan

Ah... that's the max diameter specified in the data sheet! Now I get it :D
    Thanks again.

You really need to do a thread on your amazing roasting tubes! :nod:

This works out really nice for me own DIY 510 portable too :clap: While it accommodates 8 mm ss tips and also 10 mm Vapcaps, I was looking for a shorter glass solution there and all the while had that short Arizer stem with the sleeve already applied for use as a GonG lying around already and never realized, that I just needed to pull up the sleeve a bit to make it fit :rofl:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Vitolo, Alan, arb and 3 others like this.
  10. Shit Snacks

Shit Snacks Milaana. Lana. LANA. LAANAAAAAA

Well Alan has done it again, I asked him for another curvy HI to match my vase-esque black ash burl HIbrid with purpleheart base, this time a standard core with more of a hyperbola shape (to be like a reverse of BABs) in tigre caspi with a Pink Ivory base and stem... The results are of course more stunning than could have ever been imagined:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking forward to trying it soon, will probably need to do some selling in the near future to help offset this art lol

Vitolo, Alan, Andreaerdna and 13 others like this.
  11. bodhi_naut

bodhi_naut Member

My spot in the line just came up a few months before I expected it! I’m so excited, but in severe decision paralysis. Pretty sure I’m going to get a toasty top and yes I’m responding in this thread because it gets a lot more traffic. :-).

I am not sure what kind of stems to get. I think I read that there is some kind of dosing capsule now. There’s so many options my head is spinning. I know that I want some kind of highly figured wood.

The other thing is that I’m very interested in the iheat cartridge, but I can’t afford both In the same month and really don’t want to wait another year and a half. Is it possible to request both and get the shipment staggered?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Vitolo, Alan, Vapeur Rogue and 3 others like this.
  12. Whisper

Whisper Well-Known Member

Alan has a list for that too. Just ask him to be put on the IH list. As you've found, Alan has lots of ideas..

13. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

Vitolo, brainiac, Vaponly and 3 others like this.
  14. 204Markie

So after I decided to pack a bowl in my Davinci IQ while waiting for my HI to heat up. I ended up having a quick bowl from my Vapman while I waited for my IQ to heat up, after finishing both bowls I had this idea of heating the outside of my glass roasting tube with my torch. After the herb started to turn light gold I hit it with my HI giving my bowl a combination of conduction and true convection. The result was that the fairly large bowl of herb exhausted all its possible vapor in one go. It was amazing because I usually have to stir it once or twice normally, so it really kicked my ass and I'm now trying to post on FC right after the fact.

It was a fun thing to try, I liked how the glass held onto the heat so well.

As always 420 in the 204

Vapeur Rogue, Vitolo, Alan and 3 others like this.
  15. Alan

@blokenoname - Nice job on the roasting tubes. Silicone sleeves are very versatile. I have been using my glass Air/Solo stem quite a bit lately. Have also been using a Turbo Tube w/ the Vapor Lung for some cool and easy hits.

@Shit Snacks - Thanks so much for posting the photos. It did turn out very well. Has a nice feel to it. Hope you have been enjoying it.

@bodhi_naut - It is possible to get the iHeat in addition to the HI/TT and have the shipments staggered.

@204Markie - You can get some conduction from the HI by leaving the glass roasting tube on the heater cover for a little while before drawing air through it. It works best to use two screen to capture the material so none falls into the center of the heater cover. The hits are larger than pure convection.

Here is a photo of an Air/Solo glass stem on the new 7/16" ss heater cover in a bamboo body. The silicone sleeve around the tip allows it to fit into a 19/22mm or 19/19mm taper fitting. Usually finish the bowl with the HI after roasting with the iHeat. The HI roasts a bit darker.

[​IMG]

16. Whisper

Whisper Well-Known Member

Hello Alan, I hope your New Year brings great things! I was just touching base. I have ordered a pretty bamboo HI, and wanted to refresh this thread some.
    I realize you're busy with IH's also. Let's face it, you're into a lot of different ideas. I don't see much going on here, but holidays has the threads kind of slowed down. If I don't hear from you, I'll be in touch (email ).

SpudBob and arb like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors