The HI

v.bow

IMG_20180420_225914.jpg

I am now a proud owner of a bamboo all glass HI with the sliding mouth piece, but sometimes i like using my 18m as a extended path way

v.bow

Can anyone give me some tip on using it? I use a E nano all the time at my friends place...but for some reason how I use the e nano isnt working on this HI right now. I got everything from toasty power supply and volt controller, all glass. I am currently using the recommended 12v.

My first hit is usually pretty good, but after that it goes down hill. The avb doesnt look brown at all, just tan. I have not burnt or anything to that extent yet.

how do those youtubers milk their bongs?

any tips for a noobie?

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
When in doubt, just crank up the voltage/temp a bit. Glass has less conduction than the Nano's stainless heater cover, so getting a bit more heat should compensate. Also helps with vapor density in case of not tight fitting stems and roasting tips, which allow for a bit too much air.

Last edited:

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
@204Markie - I use silicone tubing with my HI on occasion. It fits nicely onto the 10mm glass mouthpiece tube of my Slide-a-Bowl tube or connects to a 13mm glass tube using a Turbo Tube sleeve. It helps to use the two screen method so that you don’t risk loosing any material when you turn the tube upside down and place it on the HI. I wrap the silicone with cotton string so that it never gets sticky to touch and doesn’t attract every stray hair or dust particle in the house.
Hope you have good luck with the vapor lung. They are so much fun.

@almost there - Glad to hear you are getting the hang of the various roasting techniques with the HI. The SS heater cover is definitely faster at extracting the oil, but I enjoy the flavor so much more with the glass heater cover. Nice to have both so you can hit the one you are in the mood for at the moment.

@Vitolo - Good to see you. Thanks for the kind words.

@bollabmo - Glad to hear you are enjoying your HI. I can make about any type of tube / adapter you can imagine. There is no waiting list for roasting tubes. I just work them into my next batch. Have been making quite a few tubes lately.

@Vapinghole - Good to see you again. Have missed seeing your posts. Keeping busy with new vaporizers and roasting tubes as usual.

@v.bow - Thanks for posting the photo. Great way for some additional vapor cooling. The voltage does need to be a bit higher for some darker clouds with the glass heater cover HI’s. So nice that the voltage controller can boost the voltage in addition to lowering it.

@Bravesst - Glad you got to try out the HI (in addition to many others) while you were here. Thanks again for the Lil’ Bud. It is a part of my daily rotation. A single battery will last me for the entire day.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
The HI is a great addition to my arsenal, and the perfect balance to Lil' Bud. It's hard to beat the smooth, potent vapor, and to me is kind of gold standard everything else needs to live up to. I don't get a chance to use a plug in too often in my situation, but when I do, it's party time. For me it's the perfect pass around the table vape, setting up all my guests with their own roasting tubes. It doesn't get any better than that.

CurryLeafTreehugger

I see. What I call a stem, he calls a "mouthpiece". So basically this is just the end that holds the herb.

So is that screen in the 2 part version installed flat? Do you put the screen in one side and just screw on the other half to keep it in place?

My current setup requires the screens to be shaped into a basket and they're a pain to install and clean, plus they cost the earth to get pre-formed.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
@Bravesst - Glad to hear you are enjoying the HI when you have guests stop by. Works out well that they have their own roasting tubes since they don't hold a party amount of material.

@CurryLeafTreehugger - The screen in the 2 part version shown on my website is flat. The 10mm glass mouthpiece tube provides the stop for the screen. The silicone sleeve holds the 10mm glass tube in position. I have started making and selling the basket style screens as they won't flip like the flat ones can. Spare basket screens are only $0.50 each. Most of the tubes are provided with four basket screens.

Have devised a new roasting tube based on the old 2 part version. I call it the Slide-a-Bowl tube.

slideabowl.jpg

The screens are easy to install and remove. There are many options available using multiple basket screens of different sizes for varying load amounts. My favorite way is to use two 10mm basket screens with the flower sandwiched between them. It eliminates the need for stirring and worry of spilling material.
If I change positions of the screens, then the oil that condensed on the bottom screen will get vaporized when it becomes the top screen. I never need to clean my screens this way.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I took out my HIbrid for the first time in a while this weekend and don't know why I took so long, working wonderfully!

Speaking of roasting tubes actually discovered that the stems from @mistvaporizer fit perfectly despite the 14mm taper so I was able to use my amber GonG through water and amber bent stem dry with the HI. 11.1v - 11.5v for microdose polls with quick full extraction.

Looking forward to my standard core someday but definitely in no rush :tup:

DevRev

Alan is a true craftsman the likes of which this community is truly blessed to have. I'll just start with that.

My journey with him goes back over five years now, which is crazy. Anyway my story is a bit complicated so sorry if I over-share, I just wanted to give Alan some props for his help over the years. I got into log vapes when I first started vaping over a decade ago, I got lucky and got a purple days clone off ebay which served me well. It quickly became my daily driver and although it had zero portability and took an hour to warm up, it was just solid. The only times it ever failed was when the power was out, so I supplemented it with other portable vapes (got a Pax 2 and eventually a crafty upgraded to a mighty.) Regardless of whatever vape I got though, nothing could beat my purple days for efficiency and taste. I was beginning to get worried what would happen when the vape died, since they already weren't being made.

I joined this forum and eventually found Alan and Heat Island. I'm not sure if there is a waiting list now, but there was then. I waited probably 6 months before it was my turn and spent a week or more going over options with Alan. He's so patient and explains everything, wood type etc and it was just a great experience. Only problem, when I got my HI I couldn't get it running hot enough to get a great hit. I was pretty disappointed, and explained the issue to Alan. He told me about the Voltage Keeper, so I got on the waiting list for that device and eventually got one. It did help, but it also helped my purple days! I kept using the PD but was still thankful to Alan.

Jump ahead to a few months ago, my PD would rattle a lot. The fixture was loose, I was worried it might not last much longer until one day it was just cold. Dead. You could spin the fixture 360 degrees inside. I did some research on the forums and learned about the design flaws of these old log vapes, and how the wood eventually pulled back from the heating fixture and caused stress on the joints. I can't remember who I wrote first, but some log vape manufacture explained that they could fix it, but it would eventually have the same issue. I wrote Alan.

I needed a quick new daily driver. He helped send me a new stem he was working with, and it did the trick on my HI. I enjoyed that little vape more than I ever had, suddenly fixing the PD didn't seem as critical. I explained the situation to Alan with the PD and he thought he could fix it. Several weeks later (and with quite a bit more effort than he thought it would take) he had rebuilt the whole core and turned it into a large HI type device. It now warms up in minutes instead of an hour, and hits like a champ. I couldn't be happier. I had a lot of history with this PD clone and Alan has breathed new life into the device.

Thanks so much for everything you do Alan, I really appreciate it and I know I'm not alone here.

XsBWEln.jpg

VXGLT5R.jpg

Shit Snacks

Not sure how because I was tired when I tried to turn it off but I accidentally got my voltage controller to say 21v instead of 11 like it was set and couldn't get it back with settings. Finally did by hitting down without set first, but before I did I tried changing the amps to .54 so now I can't remember what the amps were supposed to be? Sure hope I didn't break it... Seems to be working now at 11.3v and the amps say .52 Oh this is the larger one from @Alan with the buttons btw

Shit Snacks,

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
The resisor that is used as a heater in the HI has about 6-7 W. Running at 12V, it'll need a minimum of 0,58 A. So your setting will work, but just so. Providing only the minimum amount or even less amperage than is needed by the heater puts unessesery stress on the PS and risks overheating. As a rule of thumb it's useful to always provide at least 20% more amperage, than is actually needed. As on the other hand the heater will never take more than the 0,58 A it actually needs, you'll be fine with 1A, 2A or even 3A. But providing less A than actually needed can be dangerous.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

The resisor that is used as a heater in the HI has about 6-7 W. Running at 12V, it'll need a minimum of 0,58 A. So your setting will work, but just so. Providing only the minimum amount or even less amperage than is needed by the heater puts unessesery stress on the PS and risks overheating. As a rule of thumb it's useful to always provide at least 20% more amperage, than is actually needed. As on the other hand the heater will never take more than the 0,58 A it actually needs, you'll be fine with 1A, 2A or even 3A. But providing less A than actually needed can be dangerous.

Thank you!!!

Yes I haven't been going any higher than 11.5v but I will raise amps a bit to be safe then.
I wanted to set it back to the default it was when I got it, since I had never changed it before, just for my own ocd really

Edit: oh I see now when when you set it higher after you turn it on it only displays what its at. I think before it was set to two amps originally but just always displayed .52 since now its set to 1.54 but shows .52 THANKS AGAIN

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

I set mine to 11.5 as well

Also if I'm using water, right to 12. Biggest one hitters of life

11.5's actually my higher-end for water too, did 11.8v once but I've started at 11.1 and .3 a lot. I'm not even bothering to use it dry really, just so nice and convenient through water

Shit Snacks,
Top Bottom