The HI

toros23

I notice in my Hi that my ABV turns into somewhat of a cake, almost difficult to stir. Not difficult enough to bother me but I was just wondering why that is...

How long are you waiting to stir? If I wait a while the same thing happens to me, so I always stir after each pull.

So I have had my Hi for about a week and have been judging it carefully to my cloud. In my book, if the cloud is a 10 then I would score the Hi at 9.8.

The only thing that gives the edge to the cloud was that glass air path.

I have never tried a Cloud but I know people swear by them. For me, nothing beats the craftsmanship and simplicity of the HI. The cloud looks like a machine to me, with the HI it seems so much more personal - if that makes any sense. Give it some time, I think you will flip those scores eventually. :)

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
What up Toros - I have to say, someone with your taste in glass I'm blown away that although your a jedhi you have not seen cloud city. I very much appreciate the craftsmanship of Alan's work, I love the simplicity, and I'm fucking baffled with how much power this thing kicks out. (I guess now my wife will agree, size does NOT fucking matter!)

But, with that being said - that wide open glass air-path does alot. The fact that the Hi is a 9.8 in my book is fucking mind boggling! Before receiving it I was expecting a 7 based on other logs. For me, this is a home run!

btw - if your ever in my neck of the woods I offer an open invitation to come over and try both the Cloud and the Hi simultaneously through a cloud buddy! By the time the vapor cleared I forgot half the alphabet and whatever Spanish knew....Damn, Hebrew was so much easier!

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
Any word on what the wait time is down to now? I'm ready to give someone 25$ just for their place in line. :D

deadheadbill,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
If it helps - I have been on the list for a year.....with that being said bro, it's worth it.

vorrange

Vapor.wise
i thought that Alan started up production again, am i wrong?

I worded it wrong, i meant that he has halted but now it has started again. But the one year waiting is not realistic since Alan didn't make new HIs for a looong time, and before that, people were getting their HI's 3 months after joining the list.

toros23

What up Toros - I have to say, someone with your taste in glass I'm blown away that although your a jedhi you have not seen cloud city. I very much appreciate the craftsmanship of Alan's work, I love the simplicity, and I'm fucking baffled with how much power this thing kicks out. (I guess now my wife will agree, size does NOT fucking matter!)

But, with that being said - that wide open glass air-path does alot. The fact that the Hi is a 9.8 in my book is fucking mind boggling! Before receiving it I was expecting a 7 based on other logs. For me, this is a home run!

btw - if your ever in my neck of the woods I offer an open invitation to come over and try both the Cloud and the Hi simultaneously through a cloud buddy! By the time the vapor cleared I forgot half the alphabet and whatever Spanish knew....Damn, Hebrew was so much easier!

Hey MV! Thanks for the offer, I have family in FL so ya never know! And there is always the potential Disneyworld trip for the family.. Same offer back at ya, if you ever figure out how to drive (you are, after all, just a finger), let me know!

I actually have another friend here that has been urging me to try the competition, maybe some day but I really do feel all my plug-in needs are filled ATM with my wonderful Cherry HI. The cloud buddy, on the other hand, is seomething I would like to try some day. :brow:

toros23

Florida meet up would be required! We can all have a HI in hand. You would even get to use your old DG! :brow:

That is just too funny, you read my mind! I was actually thinking about editing after I posted to say we would have to invite OGC if I ever make it to FL!

al bundy

Vaporist
OK after 14 months I got the email Im UP !!!!!
so whats available in HI land?
Theyre still DC powered?
or is there an AC one?
Ive seen so many beautiful ones here that I just may let Alan choose the wood.
Just curious of the innards.

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Still DC, different design of the plug. Choose the stems wisely though, i have a nipple stem, a ss tip and a glass gong tube. There are pictures of everything on the website. ;)

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
mvapes - Glad to hear you hold the Heat Island in such HI regard. Happy to be able to provide a quality device. You will like the new design even more.

The last year has been kind of crazy. The change in design had me changing gears again too. The list is moving again, but since each one is a custom order it takes a bit longer. Just too many options and more are being added all the time.

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
That is just too funny, you read my mind! I was actually thinking about editing after I posted to say we would have to invite OGC if I ever make it to FL!

OGC is welcome any time - all we need now is Alan! Wow, I curse less in this thread than any where else....

Fuck.... :disgust: so close....

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
OGC is welcome any time - all we need now is Alan!

It would be be a really fun gathering. Not sure I am up for that long of a road trip. Though I do have one planned to Chico CA this October. It would be fun to get together with some other FC members. I need to spend as much time on Heat Islands as possible.

I recently traded a Heat Island and some roasting tubes for an LSV. I wanted to try a modification to replace the glass heater cover with a stainless steel one so that it would work with all of my roasting tubes. Turns out it was surprisingly simple. I just removed the glass cover / shim and then pried open the LSV base tube until the heater support fell out. The 3/8" stainless steel heater cover slides perfectly into the LSV base tube. It is based on Heat Island Technology with air intakes in the lower portion of the tube. Very little of the heat gets conducted down to the body. It is the HI Life Saber.
Since the metal mass is so small and the LSV is so powerful, it is able to heat up in 1 minute. The dial never really needs to go beyond 12 o'clock. The heat just never ends. It will continue roasting for as long as you can draw air. It can really be a monster hitter with great flavor.
I wanted to make a stand for the LSV to set upright. I had some mulberry wood that wasn't good for anything else but the fire. It worked well to make a stand. There is a slot in the back side for the cord and light. The air coming in due to convection of the hot stainless tube removes heat and keeps the aluminum body cool in this orientation. I can also use a copper aromatherapy cap with it.

Turns out that I have been diagnosed with "Modifydis" (self diagnosis). The uncontrollable urge to modify everything. It is similar to "The Knack".

hilifesabertop.jpg

hilifesaberstand.jpg

Top Bottom