The Grasshopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbinky

I have an email from Trevor saved in my inbox stating that everyone would be getting a silicone mouthpiece for free, so I'm gonna be pretty pissed if I have to pay for one.
In all fairness, I think we should agree that "everyone" means just that. I, and everyone else on this board, could have also e-mailed Trevor and asked "will I ALSO be getting a free mouthpiece, like Kalessin, Buzz, xx, yy, and etc., have posted online?" But that would be absurd and wasteful of his time. Most people are too polite, and would prefer to trust Trevor, Buzz and Kalessin, rather than pester Them with "what about me...is it also true for my order?" questions. Everyone means everyone, right?

If, in fact, "everyone" turns out to mean "everyone who wrote me and bugged me about this, but not everyone else who patiently waited", I will be pissed.

Last edited:

johnnyCanuck

In all fairness, I think we should agree that "everyone" means just that. I, and everyone else on this board, could have also e-mailed Trevor and asked "will I ALSO be getting a free mouthpiece, like Kalessin, Buzz, xx, yy, and etc., have posted online?" But that would be absurd and wasteful of his time. Most people are too polite, and would prefer to trust Trevor, Buzz and Kalessin, rather than pester Them with "what about me...is it also true for my order?" questions. Everyone means everyone, right?

If, in fact, "everyone" turns out to mean "everyone who wrote me and bugged me about this, but not everyone else who patiently waited", I will be pissed.

I realize intonation is missed with written "texts", but it seems to me that you're already super duper pissed? ;)

johnnyCanuck,

Mrbinky

I actually feel this question has already been asked and answered. The problem is that it was never "officially" answered. We shouldn't be forced to play "operator", and post private emails.

I'm not super-duper pissed. What I find most irritating about all of this is that I detected some suggestion that only the people who were privately promised the mouthpiece deserve to have that that promise honored. Plently of times, I was tempted to email Trevor myself, but when I saw the answer posted, I accepted it as true and kept silent. I don't think I should be penalized for trusting information posted by other honest members. Isn't that the point of us getting together and sharing information in this community?

Last edited:

blazed7's

Hay buzz on your review you give the ss a 9 out of 10 where would you put the TI at now with .9 V . And was wondering if you throw little herb as a base then fill with keif and top with a herb cap will it still work ok or clog up easy.

blazed7's,

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Why are we making Buzz the official spokesperson/gopher here? I hate to see that because it takes away from the idea that he's an independent reviewer and makes him appear more like a company rep.

Anyone can email Trevor and ask, "some people are saying the silicon tip is free, others says it's not. Clarification?" Why make Buzz the middleman and create more layers?

vapebuddy13

Your resident Super Hero
Why are we making Buzz the official spokesperson/gopher here? I hate to see that because it takes away from the idea that he's an independent reviewer and makes him appear more like a company rep.

Anyone can email Trevor and ask, "some people are saying the silicon tip is free, others says it's not. Clarification?" Why make Buzz the middleman and create more layers?
cuz he said he emailed about it and would let him know, no1 asked him to... While I agree any1 can go email Trevor, we know someone did so why blow up his email with the same email from diff people

vapemon

Cuz he's reviewing their product, cuz he met them and cuz there is a better chance they will answear him quicker/correctly because hes the only trusted one here whos reviewed their pens.

vapemon,

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
so why blow up his email with the same email from diff people

Because we're hearing different answers to the question, which indicates Trevor may have meant something different depending on context.

It's funny and a little sad we have to get philosophical about who "everybody" applies to, which tells me clarification could be in order. Trust is obviously an issue.

I wish Buzz would stop playing the role of information gopher, because I think the line between FC member, reviewer and company rep has been obscured enough already. Can we limit our questions to him to things about his reviews, and not how GH does business? Why he even wants to jump into that role is beyond me..

Last edited:

peaceonearth

high since 1968
.... also, because Buzz's review says, "The mouthpiece does tend to get pretty hot with prolonged use but they are throwing in a silicone mouthpiece to protect the lips, and it also works as a 14mm water pipe adapter." and "As far as I know, the accessories included with the Grasshopper will be the mouthpiece guard, extra mouthpiece screens and the USB charging system."
http://www.vaporizerwizard.com/grasshopper-vaporizer-review/

If I had to bet on it right now, my guess is they are still planning to provide it to all those who have actually ordered, but not to backers... just like with the free battery. EDIT: I'm referring to the free battery that was promised to some, but not all, pre-orderers due to late shipping.

In any event it sounds from the info we've heard thus far, that it's only needed for extended sessions.

Last edited:

YaFreekin Right

If I had to bet on it right now, my guess is they are still planning to provide it to all those who have actually ordered, but not to backers... just like with the free battery.

Makes sense to me. I pre-ordered my grasshopper based on the info that was out there, including the fact that the mouth piece was included.

Backers, sadly when they put their money down to fund this project the idea of the mouthpiece was years away.

I think you have to realize how much they have undervalued their product. I'm sure all of the backers are getting it at 'cost', can't ask for anything more than that.

I believe the regular production price will/should be $199/$249 SS/Ti (though being engineers , not salesmen I can see $149/199).

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I think a portable over $200 the customer thinks twice about unless it's exceptional, not sure if the GH would be considered exceptional. IMO the Crafty and the Mighty is over priced (I don't have either). Probably the lesser priced GH $149. Just a guess on my part, guessing is all we can do unless we are Buzz.

EDIT
The Price of the Solo was $300 when it came out. The Air is listed as $249. But can get it for less usually.

Last edited:

johnnyCanuck

Makes sense to me. I pre-ordered my grasshopper based on the info that was out there, including the fact that the mouth piece was included.

Backers, sadly when they put their money down to fund this project the idea of the mouthpiece was years away.

I think you have to realize how much they have undervalued their product. I'm sure all of the backers are getting it at 'cost', can't ask for anything more than that.

I believe the regular production price will/should be $199/$249 SS/Ti (though being engineers , not salesmen I can see $149/199).

Agreed that GH can jack up the price to whatever level they wish. But they've been saying since the beginning that they feel the vaporizer industry overcharges for their product and one of their main goals was to produce a top of the line vaporizer at a reasonable price point.

So hopefully Hopper Labs will be able to become industry leaders in more ways than one.

zymos

If I had to bet on it right now, my guess is they are still planning to provide it to all those who have actually ordered, but not to backers... just like with the free battery.
Just attempt to avoid some inevitable bitterness, Trevor never said that all preorders are getting a free extra battery. He said some preorders were getting bumped back, and THOSE preorders were getting a free battery. Though what "late" means in this context, now starting the second week of June, is up for debate....

"We know now that it will take most of May to get caught up on part shortages. This means that your estimated delivery will be pushed to late May or June depending on your place in line. Due to this inconvenience, any orders that are shipped late will receive an extra battery free of charge."

peaceonearth

high since 1968
Just attempt to avoid some inevitable bitterness, Trevor never said that all preorders are getting a free extra battery. He said some preorders were getting bumped back, and THOSE preorders were getting a free battery. Though what "late" means in this context, now starting the second week of June, is up for debate....

"We know now that it will take most of May to get caught up on part shortages. This means that your estimated delivery will be pushed to late May or June depending on your place in line. Due to this inconvenience, any orders that are shipped late will receive an extra battery free of charge."
Good point, one can not be too careful with words on this thread ;) I have edited my post, thanks.

Mrbinky

When I placed my pre-order, I wasn't expecting to get a free battery. Of course, I'll be happy to have one. The lack of an external charger limits it's utility (for me, at any rate.)

I agree that the Grasshopper is cheap compared to the competition. Today. In a few years, I'm betting there will be better choices at that price point or less, as Herb and Vaporizing goes mainstream.

Mrbinky,
Reactions: Tek

Matty

So much hyperbole over a $5 part. Things change. Maybe the emails were taken out of context? Maybe they decided they just can't do it as the backer price is already their breaking point? Maybe they decided their profit margin on the part is just too good and they don't want to give it away for free anymore? They are trying to run a profitable business here.

If you are that angry over this issue speak with your wallet and cancel your order asap before we even get a response. I'd like to move up in line. Thanks.

Last edited:

johnnyCanuck

When I placed my pre-order, I wasn't expecting to get a free battery. Of course, I'll be happy to have one. The lack of an external charger limits it's utility (for me, at any rate.)

I agree that the Grasshopper is cheap compared to the competition. Today. In a few years, I'm betting there will be better choices at that price point or less, as Herb and Vaporizing goes mainstream.

I don't doubt that. But it's ppl like Trevor and Matt (Hopper Labs) that help to bring "in a few years..." sooner. I like how innovative the GH is, it forces other companies to either lower their pricing more quickly with "older tech" or seek ways to further innovate the existing technology.

Mrbinky

If you are that angry over this issue speak with your wallet and cancel your order asap before we even get a response. I'd like to move up in line. Thanks.
Are you suggesting that someone who has already forked over his money and waited 2 or more months should cancel his order now before getting an answer, just so you can take his place in line?

Sounds kind of unrealistic, in my opinion. :hmm:

Mrbinky,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
We shouldn't be forced to play "operator", and post private emails.

In fact, we have a rule against posting private email:
  • Do not post the contents of private conversations without permission from all parties involved.

In cases where it's unlikely that there would be any objection, we don't enforce this rule. It's not clear whether Trevor would object, but I'd think he would if the emails are out of context or give a misleading impression or (I would hope not) he's telling different versions of he same story. Regardless, I'd advise anyone to think carefully about posting emails. We might not have been vigilant in this thread before, but we will be watching it now.

I wish Buzz would stop playing the role of information gopher, because I think the line between FC member, reviewer and company rep has been obscured enough already. Can we limit our questions to him to things about his reviews, and not how GH does business? Why he even wants to jump into that role is beyond me..

I agree that it's not fair to @BuzzDanklin or GH—unless that's how they want it. He's not an official GH rep and he has no obligation to ask them questions on behalf of FC. That won't stop the requests, however, and if he feels inclined to respond to them then that's his prerogative. I don't see any blurred lines myself.

It would be best if GH were here to answer questions but by choice they are not Some of you think GH doesn't participate in this thread because we banned them. That's not true. Early in the life of GH development (when it was still the ZenPen) we spotted some suspicious activity that indicated someone from the company was posting to promote the ZenPen without divulging the company connection. They denied doing anything like that and there was no hard evidence that they did, and they continued to participate here for some time. They did not stop posting here until after some members grew increasingly skeptical and hostile over the first delays. If they wanted to return here, they could, but I certainly understand why they wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom