Discontinued The Grasshopper

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Just wanted to share... I placed an order on Saturday for some accessories, and it was just shipped today. Not just a shipping email too - I see USPS has already picked it up and it's moving on informed delivery.

I was also trying to get my (new to me, but unregistered) Hopper registered and had no luck. I was able to chat with @Hopper Labs thru PM here and get everything registered without a hitch.

:D:D:D

Talk about 'hoppersgiving! :spliff:

david8613

Just wanted to share... I placed an order on Saturday for some accessories, and it was just shipped today. Not just a shipping email too - I see USPS has already picked it up and it's moving on informed delivery.

I was also trying to get my (new to me, but unregistered) Hopper registered and had no luck. I was able to chat with @Hopper Labs thru PM here and get everything registered without a hitch.

:D:D:D

Talk about 'hoppersgiving! :spliff:

What did you order?

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Guys after cleaning you should let your hopper dry really good.
Thanks, I always do.

Well, @Mr. Me2 it’s too late. I’ve dipped into the kitty litter and pulled out 2 new batts I’d been using before the fire and started using them again. Perhaps there’s a breath in the old one but I don’t need the hassle when I’m on the go and fear of running out of juice. With a recently cleaned Hopper and one of the new batts, I hit it lower than usual at 2.5 (I’m usually in the upper 2s) and there were some nice, vaporous and delicious hits. Life is indeed good on the eve of a holiday.

And I’ll be buying my first Dynavap soon to avoid the battery issue in the future, lol! My meager vape collection needs to grow a bit...:peace:

david8613

Hey hoppers I just found out something that I'm not sure you know about, but I was putting my gear into my new case and the magnetic end of the charger touched the side of the clicker and top of the body near dial and the lights turned on indicating the heater turned on! I was able to repeat this very easily. So becareful guys putting a charger in your case. so now I make sure the magnet part of the charger is towards the front of hopper to avoid any contact.

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
Not sure if I ever heard that but good to know. If you brush the frontend hard enough and counterclockwise I believe there’s a chance the screen will loosen a bit, which happened to me in my Hopper infancy days. Fine point tweezers (or something similar) will remove (or tighten) it altogether. I bought fine point tweezers for this reason just in case though, as someone recently mentioned, it’s good to remove it completely for a thorough cleaning on occasion.

I’m toying with the idea of ordering a new mag charger as I have the first gen and could use a second one (one for the car and one for home) - and throw a little donation at HL. We’ll see...:peace:

Do you think it would be ok to use a wire brush as you use to clean terminals?

I have found this little tool to be INVALUABLE and keep it at my table side to dry small 14 mm glass, Grasshopper & any atty's after ISO soak.
https://www.fasttech.com/shoppingcart?sku=6348200

To dry bigger bongs use a big hard hot blowing hair Dryer with thermal gloves.

Rel2018

Hey hoppers I just found out something that I'm not sure you know about, but I was putting my gear into my new case and the magnetic end of the charger touched the side of the clicker and top of the body near dial and the lights turned on indicating the heater turned on! I was able to repeat this very easily. So becareful guys putting a charger in your case. so now I make sure the magnet part of the charger is towards the front of hopper to avoid any contact.

This happens to me sometimes when keys touch the clicker/top body

Rel2018,
Reactions: ataxian

LAWTHEONE

CLOUDYWITHFOG/ZEROVISIBILITY
I have some free grasshopper batteries. They came in the new battery shipment. I didn’t open them so I don’t know if they’re the good or bad, but I do know I got rid of my grasshopper due to the fear of future customer service issues. I do hope everything has turned around for grasshopper. I don’t want the batteries though.

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
I have some free grasshopper batteries. They came in the new battery shipment. I didn’t open them so I don’t know if they’re the good or bad, but I do know I got rid of my grasshopper due to the fear of future customer service issues. I do hope everything has turned around for grasshopper. I don’t want the batteries though.
I can sure use a few , if you're offering

Terpenetime

As I had the hopper off you, shouldn’t I also have the batteries?

It’s still running like a dream by the way :clap:. However, that may not last long with only one battery and no indication of when more might be available.

Obviously, if you do really mean ‘free’ I’d be more than happy to cover your postage costs.

I should add that like @Baron23, i’m happy to take a chance on these batteries, so if they do burn my house down I won’t be blaming you! :bang:

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Happy Thanksgiving to any and all who want to go and get full of appreciation for stuff (life maybe?) today! :nod:

I also received shipment notification today, a few orders

the beast lives ... and breathes

I got a ship confirmation yesterday as well.
I've found that HL always waits until the item is picked up by USPS before they send you a tracking number. This avoids (or rather, displaces) the uncertain time period between when the ship label is created (this is when a lot of companies will send notice that an item has shipped, when it actually hasn't yet moved.) and when USPS shows movement.

All my hoppers occasional show a blink or slightly longer of red, then off, if touched to any variety of metal things. This in my understanding is an indication that a built-in circuit protection has been triggered, i.e, it's supposed to happen. No heat should be developing, we hope it isn't!

Last edited:

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Thanks, I always do.

Well, @Mr. Me2 it’s too late. I’ve dipped into the kitty litter and pulled out 2 new batts I’d been using before the fire and started using them again. Perhaps there’s a breath in the old one but I don’t need the hassle when I’m on the go and fear of running out of juice. With a recently cleaned Hopper and one of the new batts, I hit it lower than usual at 2.5 (I’m usually in the upper 2s) and there were some nice, vaporous and delicious hits. Life is indeed good on the eve of a holiday.

And I’ll be buying my first Dynavap soon to avoid the battery issue in the future, lol! My meager vape collection needs to grow a bit...:peace:
I’ve been rotating 6 new batts with no issues and I run it on straight #5 through water! :clap:
Ahhhhhhhhopper!:tup:

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
The one I see is usb powered??
https://www.amazon.com/XTAR-Univers...ywords=charger+xtar+mc2&qid=1574945170&sr=8-1
Is this going to be as 'fast' as one I might power plugged into the wall? I think you recently said this one could be a better charger than a Nitecore D2, which is the one I currently use...
Btw I also charge 18650's.
Good question. Is it better or faster with a USB adapter than a regular AC cord? How so better than Nitecore? I have the D2 and I4 and they both work well.

To @ShayWhiteGrow ’s point I’ve begun using a couple of my new batts again after stopping for a few weeks. No issues with mine and my remaining two older batts are charging quicker and not holding a charge like they used to - or work the Hopper like the new ones do.

Happy Hoppergiving to all. Gotta hit the road soon - mag charger already in the car for a pleasant trip ;):peace:

MoltenTiger

The one I see is usb powered??
https://www.amazon.com/XTAR-Univers...ywords=charger+xtar+mc2&qid=1574945170&sr=8-1
Is this going to be as 'fast' as one I might power plugged into the wall? I think you recently said this one could be a better charger than a Nitecore D2, which is the one I currently use...
Btw I also charge 18650's.
That's the one, there is a newer model which I consider less ideal for GHB2's. The MC2+ will charge at 1A due to the length of the battery triggering this rate.

The one you linked has a slower rate. It's not a huge deal, but I would expect to get a longer lifespan from slowly charging.

Consider the battery like a spring, every charge cycle is like stretching it out and then using it is akin to it compressing.
Typically Li-ion has constraints on charge speed relative to the total capacity, and the GHBs are tiny.
It takes a bit over an hour to charge 2 cells with the older MC2, I find this easy enough to deal with, but typically cycle 4-6 cells.

I would guess the MC2+ would do both in something close to 30 mins, which might be better for some. However I'd also guess they wouldn't last as long as my current batch have thus far.

In my early days I used a garbage generic charger at 1A rates, so once both slots failed, I researched and upgraded. My batteries have lasted markedly longer using the MC2, but I mostly used older GHB1 cells with the crappy charger (that cost over twice as much mind you, you dont get what you pay for, you do reap the benefits of research and that is the fuel of my posts, paying it forward), I have also killed a few GHB2s after solely 1A charging. Doesn't take that long, maybe 18 months of frequent use. I'm beyond that atm with my current batch, and way beyond that with some old GHB2s which have only seen the GH and MC2.

The absolute best stat the Xtar circuitry brings to the table is the fact it trickle charges with less than 0.005mA when LiIon battery is full.

I have accidentally left batteries on the charger for many hours, maybe 12-24hrs max (very, very bad practice). But haven't had a single issue.

Coupled with the price, quality and size, this is one handy bit of kit that is a must have accessory. The MC1 is cool too, I bought one for my friends birthday one year and it's basically the size of the GHB.
Paired with a USB Power Bank, you will experience something rather close to perfection. Even how the batteries fit this charger, it's great. I've read the nitecores have the cell floating between contacts, where as they sit flush and perfectly in the Xtar.

I've read of plenty of problems surrounding the Nitecores charges, most likely due to the fact they charge full cells at 0.2mA (4000% more current).

These cells have a tiny capacity yet can offer a lot when handled properly.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
That's the one, there is a newer model which I consider less ideal for GHB2's. The MC2+ will charge at 1A due to the length of the battery triggering this rate.

The one you linked has a slower rate. It's not a huge deal, but I would expect to get a longer lifespan from slowly charging.

Consider the battery like a spring, every charge cycle is like stretching it out and then using it is akin to it compressing.
Typically Li-ion has constraints on charge speed relative to the total capacity, and the GHBs are tiny.
It takes a bit over an hour to charge 2 cells with the older MC2, I find this easy enough to deal with, but typically cycle 4-6 cells.

I would guess the MC2+ would do both in something close to 30 mins, which might be better for some. However I'd also guess they wouldn't last as long as my current batch have thus far.

In my early days I used a garbage generic charger at 1A rates, so once both slots failed, I researched and upgraded. My batteries have lasted markedly longer using the MC2, but I mostly used older GHB1 cells with the crappy charger (that cost over twice as much mind you, you dont get what you pay for, you do reap the benefits of research and that is the fuel of my posts, paying it forward), I have also killed a few GHB2s after solely 1A charging. Doesn't take that long, maybe 18 months of frequent use. I'm beyond that atm with my current batch, and way beyond that with some old GHB2s which have only seen the GH and MC2.

The absolute best stat the Xtar circuitry brings to the table is the fact it trickle charges with less than 0.005mA when LiIon battery is full.

I have accidentally left batteries on the charger for many hours, maybe 12-24hrs max (very, very bad practice). But haven't had a single issue.

Coupled with the price, quality and size, this is one handy bit of kit that is a must have accessory. The MC1 is cool too, I bought one for my friends birthday one year and it's basically the size of the GHB.
Paired with a USB Power Bank, you will experience something rather close to perfection. Even how the batteries fit this charger, it's great. I've read the nitecores have the cell floating between contacts, where as they sit flush and perfectly in the Xtar.

I've read of plenty of problems surrounding the Nitecores charges, most likely due to the fact they charge full cells at 0.2mA (4000% more current).

These cells have a tiny capacity yet can offer a lot when handled properly.
Thanks a lot, this is great. You are helping a of of us.
I suppose I thought the input voltage might be an issue. Now I understand that this Xtar MC2 will charge at more like .5 amps and while the Nitecore D2 has settings for .5 amps and .3 amps and I always use .3, an important safety issue is the amount of 'trickle' charge being fed once the charge cycle is done. Using the Xtar will actually be quicker than the way I was using the D2! if I'm seeing this the right way. :smug:

Baron23

most of us would be totally okay with at least one of the two.

hahaha...I love you, I want you, I need you....well, two out of three ain't bad! haha

WRT external chargers, I have a Nitecore D4 and its wonderful. I don't know about Xtar, but many use them and love them.

A good charger will vary the current on the battery with charge level....that is, start strong and taper down as the battery approaches full charge. My Nitecore does it and I believe that Xtar does also.

This is entirely independent from the power source except I suppose if you are on a .5 amp USB port, then that maximizes the current available for charging, right?

I just plug my Nitecore into the wall.

Cheers

vapviking

Old & In the Way
hahaha...I love you, I want you, I need you....well, two out of three ain't bad! haha

WRT external chargers, I have a Nitecore D4 and its wonderful. I don't know about Xtar, but many use them and love them.

A good charger will vary the current on the battery with charge level....that is, start strong and taper down as the battery approaches full charge. My Nitecore does it and I believe that Xtar does also.

This is entirely independent from the power source except I suppose if you are on a .5 amp USB port, then that maximizes the current available for charging, right?

I just plug my Nitecore into the wall.

Cheers
I will unplug the Nitecore D2 when the MC2 arrives in a couple of days.
The main distinction I think @MoltenTiger is making is about the amount of charge being sent AFTER the battery is full; the trickle. I often leave batts in far too long, as it turns out.

Top Bottom