Discontinued The Grasshopper

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
OK, I know I'm more of an optimist than most on this thread, but I honestly read this as a good sign. I think they're seeing that their unrealistic "2 more weeks" estimates did a lot more harm than good, and now they have a new policy of trying to be realistic. This could be the case as they now have a new CS team, and seemingly Trevor has also been pitching in on the CS side of things lately. A couple of months to clear the backlog they've developed sounds like what I'd expect at this point, frankly.

Of course, time will tell. And the fact that I don't have a hopper in jail with HL undoubtedly helps my sunnier disposition :)

I'm just catching up with FC threads, and saw the person in the vapcap thread complain that 1 week after ordering in the 4/20 sale he hadn't received his vapcap yet. Here's hoping he gets on the GH train; if he can find things to enjoy complaining about in Dynavap's service, boy would he have fun with a hopper :)
After multiple years watching this company and months and months of waiting for change, I don't know why anyone would think now of all times is the time they change and start giving reliable dates.

But I've got a bridge to sell you real cheap if you're interested. Only 300 dollars. It'll be ready in about two weeks.

MoltenTiger

I just stumbled on The Wirecutters vaporizer write up, which included a recent update about HL and the hopper;

We reached out to Hopper Labs in April 2018 to ask what changes have been made to the Grasshopper and what customers could expect from the company going forward. Company cofounder Trevor Vita told us that the company has “chosen to improve our product continually instead of waiting for all changes to come with a new model or version. We think this benefits the customer and also our production.” But that’s also necessitated a price increase, from the original $175 to the current $225, as well as delays in getting orders out the door. While the price increase is permanent, Vita told us the company was catching up to demand and expect to get order-to-delivery times back down to just a few days by the end of June 2018. The Grasshopper comes with a lifetime warranty, though customers on the subreddit haven’t been happy with the turnaround time for repairs, averaging two or three weeks when Vita responded to us. He said that’s in part due to the improvements to the design. “We made a hard decision to cease shipping all older versions of the internals and that put a lot of pressure on our brand new production lines. We’re still catching up right now but it is rapidly changing.” He said they expect to get warranty repair turnaround back down to just a few days sometime in mid-2018.

Despite the problems with fulfillment, we think the Grasshopper has enough upsides to make it a great vaporizer, or second vaporizer, for a lot of people.
Pretty interesting take on it and alternate portable options; https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-portable-vaporizer/

TheWhisper

Baron23

"The Grasshopper comes with a lifetime warranty, though customers on the subreddit haven’t been happy with the turnaround time for repairs, averaging two or three weeks when Vita responded to us."
Well, hell....if they ever got it down to two to three weeks I would be ecstatic.

BS flag officially thrown on that metric.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
"The Grasshopper comes with a lifetime warranty, though customers on the subreddit haven’t been happy with the turnaround time for repairs, averaging two or three weeks when Vita responded to us."
Well, hell....if they ever got it down to two to three weeks I would be ecstatic.

BS flag officially thrown on that metric.
No no you see what he meant by "two or three weeks" is "two or three weeks after the first few months of waiting" I'm sure it was just a misquote :lol::D

deadlytoaster

Canadian lost in Europe
Agh found a decent deal on a used Ti Hopper that works(!). Really tempted to pull the trigger on payday. Perhaps a butane vape as backup just in case the hopper dies?

PFE worth it or no?

Thanks guys

deadlytoaster,
Reactions: kbrown5523

huck

Agh found a decent deal on a used Ti Hopper that works(!). Really tempted to pull the trigger on payday. Perhaps a butane vape as backup just in case the hopper dies?

PFE worth it or no?

Thanks guys

I would recommend NOT buying a used 'hopper unless it was never registered with hopper labs. Otherwise, the lifetime warranty isn't transferrable and means that if it breaks you have a brick on your hands with no way to repair it.

JCat

Accessory Maker
I would recommend NOT buying a used 'hopper unless it was never registered with hopper labs. Otherwise, the lifetime warranty isn't transferrable and means that if it breaks you have a brick on your hands with no way to repair it.
Actually the warranty is transferrable. It’s $45 to do so if I remember correctly. (Unless HL has changed their policy in this regard)

huck

Actually the warranty is transferrable. It’s $45 to do so if I remember correctly. (Unless HL has changed their policy in this regard)

From the terms and conditions page at HL:

https://www.grasshoppervape.com/terms-of-use/

Warranty Service
In order to receive warranty service, you must register your device on ghvape.com. Devices that have been registered to another account or have not been registered will not receive warranty service.

...I guess if the seller is willing to transfer their HL account to you as part of the sale, probably you could get warranty service by claiming you 'moved' to a new address.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60

The warranty can be transferred but at a cost. Can't remember exactly, something like $48. But you need to ensure you arrange that with both the seller and Hopper Labs prior to purchase. Bear in mind the backlog of RMA's that HL currently have and that you'll have no idea what revision the sellers GH is (unless they can tell you).

Personally I would advise you to put the dosh into a different vape purchase unless you can afford the risk.

huck

The warranty can be transferred but at a cost. Can't remember exactly, something like $48. But you need to ensure you arrange that with both the seller and Hopper Labs prior to purchase. Bear in mind the backlog of RMA's that HL currently have and that you'll have no idea what revision the sellers GH is (unless they can tell you).

Personally I would advise you to put the dosh into a different vape purchase unless you can afford the risk.

Have you checked the website recently? See my post above yours which seems to strongly suggest that the warranty is NOT transferrable but I would love to be proven wrong as I would be interested in purchasing a used 'hopper as a backup to my current one when it inevitably breaks.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Have you checked the website recently? See my post above yours which seems to strongly suggest that the warranty is NOT transferrable but I would love to be proven wrong as I would be interested in purchasing a used 'hopper as a backup to my current one when it inevitably breaks.

Yeh it doesn't seem to be detailed on the website.

But I know several users like @CarolKing and @jerseydvd who have bought 2nd hand hoppers and had the warranty transferred over.

figured it was worth taking the ride for $45 warranty transfer. Olivia took care of getting that in order

Looks like @JCat was spot on, $45.

kushkush

happy camper....
I believe, since the original Warranty was bought and paid for, it should be transferrable. But I remember reading here that Hopper Labs made second-hand buyers purchase the Warranty all over again at $45. Greed? :nod:

kushkush,

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
I believe, since the original Warranty was bought and paid for, it should be transferrable. But I remember reading here that Hopper Labs made second-hand buyers purchase the Warranty all over again at $45. Greed? :nod:
Most companies don't even offer warranties if you aren't the original purchaser. The fact that hopper labs allows you to buy a used hopper from someone who did who knows what to it and add warranty to it is actually pretty cool of them. Try doing that with Apple or Samsung...or pretty much any other big company.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
In fact we hear zero stories of out of warranty Hoppers being repaired, even for a fee.
If HL didn't offer the transfer, how would they ever sell any batteries to an owner with a broken piece? I think they see it as an advantage to keep as many functioning hoppers in the wild as possible.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Most companies don't even offer warranties if you aren't the original purchaser. The fact that hopper labs allows you to buy a used hopper from someone who did who knows what to it and add warranty to it is actually pretty cool of them. Try doing that with Apple or Samsung...or pretty much any other big company.
Most warranties are limited and that includes HL. If they feel you have abused the hopper they can deny warranty services.

Yes I bought a warranty for $45. Then a few months later I lost my GH while on vacation. I ended up buying another one. My old hopper is either in CA or OR not sure where?

Top Bottom