Discontinued The Grasshopper

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Cool, looking forward to hearing opinions.

I guess sending it back is one thing, but at the price of the device (plus PFE....) ... and then having to cover shipping costs (who knows how many times) is really whats keeping me.

The HTs are really really nice, but $350 for just the unit and let's see... $45 for aHT PFE (!) ... that's just about $400 before shipping and even 1 additional battery (does it come with one to begin with? the website states

"Includes: One Color Grasshopper, one Magnetic Charger, one Silicone Mouthpiece."

Maaaaan.

I want to want one so bad but even me. The most impulsive of shitty decisions makers can't justify it. Even a normal Ti is over $300 (with PFE + batteries...pretty much necessary things that are 100% hopper exclusive. thankfully I have a charger already.) before the shipping back and forth for RMAs...

edit:

please note im not trying to shit on their pricing scheme. i get it. they need to make money. im just a cheap bastard. but i also expect my >$300 purchases to work and be honored by the company that produces them. seeing that someone kept getting mailed back a crappy one, even after requesting a NEW device is kinda whack.

lifetime warranty? on the same device? like exact same unit? i wish theyd just replace em.

Last edited:

YetAnotherUsername

Youngster vaporist
Shoutout to @slcbdco

This is the guy who fought the uneasy battle on the forum for instant heat up high vs session high. Telling all the oil guys to use a pinch of herb. It sounded unreal but I learned this way recently and it is sick, and possible only thanks to the high-efficiency extraction of instant heat up vapes like the GH.

"use the minimum dose necessary to achieve the desired effects: lower doses are safer doses."
https://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/basics/basics_article4.shtml

With the GH, compared to a Crafty, I feel as I can really bring my tolerance down to a "puff", simply because how fast in the onset compared to a session vape, which you instead cook and chew on for a while.

MoltenTiger

My Hoppers have arrived at HL!
I really miss them as my EQ is nothing in comparison and I'm over it now.
$15 postage and 10 business days from Australia is not so bad for the hopper rigmarole.

They're being tested and repaired, so it'll be interesting to see what I get back and how it operates.
So very keen to get back to hopping!

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Shoutout to @slcbdco

This is the guy who fought the uneasy battle on the forum for instant heat up high vs session high. Telling all the oil guys to use a pinch of herb. It sounded unreal but I learned this way recently and it is sick, and possible only thanks to the high-efficiency extraction of instant heat up vapes like the GH.

"use the minimum dose necessary to achieve the desired effects: lower doses are safer doses."
https://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/basics/basics_article4.shtml

With the GH, compared to a Crafty, I feel as I can really bring my tolerance down to a "puff", simply because how fast in the onset compared to a session vape, which you instead cook and chew on for a while.

Cheers! I wonder if you're having the experience that you can get pretty high with one or two rips but you come down quicker also. As primarily a recreational consumer (though all day, everyday) I like being relatively not high in 30 minutes or so, giving me the option to vape again or take an opportunity to take care of anything that requires me to actually be not high.

Mr Mellish

My SS PFE and 4 GHB2 arrived. Looking forward to a test soon. Really need to get around to that RMA because the Ti is toast (but the blazing hot SS is still working, so I must delay!). The GH is just so damned fast and convenient that I don't want to lose the thing.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
My SS PFE and 4 GHB2 arrived.
Same here! My first concern was how well the SS PFE would match the finish on my SS body. I had the body replaced on my SS a while back and the new body was a different finish than the old one, more of a matte finish and less glossy. This made my glossy mouthpiece stick out visually and made the Grasshopper look like it was patched together like a franken-vape.

The SS PFE matches my newer SS body almost exactly, it might be a shade darker but it's more than close enough for me. That's part of the reason I chose the SS PFE, I was hoping that it would match up better. Now my hopper looks like a high end piece of equipment again.

Airflow wise there is a definite improvement, but there is still the bottleneck of the air intake holes. I'm not that sensitive to airflow so the increase isn't as big of a deal to me. It is still more restricted than I would prefer overall. Performance wise it does seem to extract a little faster, but it's less noticeable than the airflow increase.

I would say the PFE gives you maybe 15-20% better airflow and 5-10% better performance. Those are just rough estimates of course. Also, that is native use, the improved airflow might make a bigger difference to performance when used with water. All my water pieces are packed up in storage now so I can't test that unfortunately.

The SS PFE definitely seems to heat up faster than the standard mouthpiece. I think it retains heat longer too but I'm not sure. It also feels a little heavier. So far the screen inside the PFE seems to be gunking up a lot faster, it's very strange. It is much easier to clean though so that is a good trade-off.

Overall I wouldn't call the PFE a game-changer or a must-have accessory, at least not when used natively. It does improve both airflow and performance though, and it is a solid and well built piece of equipment.

Mr Mellish

Same here! My first concern was how well the SS PFE would match the finish on my SS body. I had the body replaced on my SS a while back and the new body was a different finish than the old one, more of a matte finish and less glossy. This made my glossy mouthpiece stick out visually and made the Grasshopper look like it was patched together like a franken-vape.

The SS PFE matches my newer SS body almost exactly, it might be a shade darker but it's more than close enough for me. That's part of the reason I chose the SS PFE, I was hoping that it would match up better. Now my hopper looks like a high end piece of equipment again.

Airflow wise there is a definite improvement, but there is still the bottleneck of the air intake holes. I'm not that sensitive to airflow so the increase isn't as big of a deal to me. It is still more restricted than I would prefer overall. Performance wise it does seem to extract a little faster, but it's less noticeable than the airflow increase.

I would say the PFE gives you maybe 15-20% better airflow and 5-10% better performance. Those are just rough estimates of course. Also, that is native use, the improved airflow might make a bigger difference to performance when used with water. All my water pieces are packed up in storage now so I can't test that unfortunately.

The SS PFE definitely seems to heat up faster than the standard mouthpiece. I think it retains heat longer too but I'm not sure. It also feels a little heavier. So far the screen inside the PFE seems to be gunking up a lot faster, it's very strange. It is much easier to clean though so that is a good trade-off.

Overall I wouldn't call the PFE a game-changer or a must-have accessory, at least not when used natively. It does improve both airflow and performance though, and it is a solid and well built piece of equipment.

Good to know, @Vapor_Eyes . You used it native? How was the heat? I need to try it out before I send my GH's in for their first RMA because I want to know if I "need" the Ti PFE.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Good to know, @Vapor_Eyes . You used it native? How was the heat? I need to try it out before I send my GH's in for their first RMA because I want to know if I "need" the Ti PFE.
I would say it gets hot faster and probably stays hot longer. I don't think it gets any hotter as in a higher max temperature. Also, the pen frontend tends to concentrate the heat in the tip and "cone" area. The means there is a sweet spot further down where the taper starts. The PFE has no such sweet spot.

With the improved airflow you can take bigger, faster hits so one hit isn't very different, and the PFE might even be better. With back to back hits it seems to be worse as all of that SS just absorbs the heat.

The vapor itself seems to be less hot, or at least the heat is not being concentrated into such a small stream which makes a big difference to usability. With the pen style frontend, if you don't have the Grasshopper angled right you are going to blast your tongue, gums, etc. with a narrow jet of hot air. That's not a problem for me with the PFE.

All in all I'd say it might be a minor upgrade, but it's not night and day. I'm fine with having only one PFE for my SS, and using my Ti on the go with the pen tip. Two different experiences for my two hoppers.

Last edited:

disGRUNTled

A couple of bowls of Tangie going in the Grasshopper, Team BackPack Cyphers on Youtube.
32Rz6Hw.jpg

u6vVPgM.jpg

O3Ph2Gz.jpg

verdampersweats

Sigh i thought i had my mind made up but, Is this fully pass through or whats the limitations? If the battery is dead and i have a usb port or a plug > usb outlet im good to keep going on max setting right?

And finally is it still only 2 bowls per battery at 210c? Or would you get three? Thanks

verdampersweats,

MoltenTiger

Sigh i thought i had my mind made up but, Is this fully pass through or whats the limitations? If the battery is dead and i have a usb port or a plug > usb outlet im good to keep going on max setting right?

And finally is it still only 2 bowls per battery at 210c? Or would you get three? Thanks
There's no pass-thru charging, the heater draws more than USB can offer.

I would say expect 1 chamber per battery, but I've got 6 chambers before so it varies. Depends on the technique and the level of ABV'd and the age of the battery.

Having multiple batteries, an Xtar MC2 and a battery bank is how I have enjoyed my hopper usage the most

slcbdco

There definitely IS pass through charging. However it does draw power faster than it charges so you can't vape a totally dead battery.

However, you can vape while it's charging, I do it all the time, on a road trip it basically just lives on the charger in my car. Plugged into center console everyone can use it without unplugging it so it's ready to go when we arrive where we're going ... well with a few extra batteries since the battery is never completely charged on arrival :brow:

biohacker

Sigh i thought i had my mind made up but, Is this fully pass through or whats the limitations?

What @MoltenTiger said. And check out Reddit before you pull the trigger as there are some reports of combustion on recent purchases including melting plastic rings. As @JCat said, his is way hotter now coming back from RMA, so they have indeed made some tweaks. According to many posts there, there are still alot of problems. Hopper Labs have a tendency of ignoring these posts there.

WoodyWeedPecker

I have a question for people who have new gh or new rma. How warm or hot is your back-end? Is it cold, warm or too hot to touch, etc? I'm asking this because my backend is very hot, too hot to touch comfortably (gh offered to check if it's too hot or not) and this gives me shorter battery lifespan and inconsistent hits at the end of batteries.

I noticed new batteries give me better hits. Sometimes I thought the bowl was completely spent, but a new battery gives me a few more hits of good average density (after having very dense ones for the first few hits). Same thing when I screw/unscrew the back-end a bit to reduce the blue flickering of light at the end of a battery. It gives me a couple of surprise hits. (It also reduces the back-end heat, which doesn't bother me by itself)

I read a few people saying they don't have back-end heat but others say it is warm or even hot (like mine) to them. I have an august '16 model and I'm wondering if it's still the case with new GHs.

huk_huk

got my hopper back from RMA my issue was that no led showed and it didn't click on. It seems like they repaired the backend without having to interchange it, the wheel feels different now. Or it was just dirty before. they cleaned it really good

finaly can use my PFE With a 14mm bubbler my GH crapped out before the 18 to 14 adaptor got shipped :)

have a nice weekend enjoy

edit: oh the wheel can't be pressed down like before so they definitely changed something but still got the same serial number nice

Last edited:

sashka69

Hello,
I had a short conversation with Caroline about sending new units to verdampftnochmal. 2 of my 3 Hoppers got cop lights now and i'm afraid (!!) of using the third one. I'm on vacation in a week so I need the third one alive!

I told Caroline that they're waiting since February for new units. (That's what Verdampftnochmal told me in March and end of April).
Guess whats her response?
"I don’t have information about Verfamptfnochmal and their wholesale order. Sorry for the inconvenience."

So now i'm very angry (its hard to use no swearwords) because my european reseller cant help me - but i bought it THERE for sending it NOT to the us for rma...
I think i have to go the long rma way to US instead. What a mess. I hate it and I really hope, I won't run in troubles with german customs when they send it back.

Carolines answer in my speech about my question regarding to the leather sleeves: you get one when we get some...

Wtf...

huk_huk

Don't be afraid, send it to Boulder. I sent mine two times from Germany and the costs are pretty low. It's 3.20€ (Internationaler Warenbrief)+2.50€ to send it as "Einschreiben". Took 7 days to reach Boulder and also 5 days to reach Germany but well customs needed 7 days this time, last time customs needed one day. You don't have to go to the customs bureau, because Hopperlabs use the right label that declares it as a replacement part.

ps: if you want full insurance you have to pay more/use a different shipping method but "Einschreiben" is usualy safe. Oh also if you wanna buy accessories/batteries (not sure if you can add batteries, I used the option for the PFE) they can include it with the replacement shipment. So you might even save money

btw since I use the PFE all the time I'm tempted to remove the clip, it would make the hopper look a little bit like a tiny lightsaber

Last edited:

btka

Hello,
I had a short conversation with Caroline about sending new units to verdampftnochmal. 2 of my 3 Hoppers got cop lights now and i'm afraid (!!) of using the third one. I'm on vacation in a week so I need the third one alive!

I told Caroline that they're waiting since February for new units. (That's what Verdampftnochmal told me in March and end of April).
Guess whats her response?
"I don’t have information about Verfamptfnochmal and their wholesale order. Sorry for the inconvenience."

So now i'm very angry (its hard to use no swearwords) because my european reseller cant help me - but i bought it THERE for sending it NOT to the us for rma...
I think i have to go the long rma way to US instead. What a mess. I hate it and I really hope, I won't run in troubles with german customs when they send it back.

Carolines answer in my speech about my question regarding to the leather sleeves: you get one when we get some...

Wtf...

I am not knowing exactly the german consumer rights but In my opinion the reseller has to send your gh to usa to hopperlabs... I am also living in an european country and the resellers have to handle warranty of a product they sell to you... it is irrelevant if they are acutally selling this unit or not...

if I am remembering right @Hogni is from germany and knows the german consumer rights...

MoltenTiger

How hot is the vapor from the GH?
It's certainly overly warm direct from the device. It affects the flavour profile and is thought of in two ways: awful or tolerable. It's by no means good. Smokers do really appreciate it however, one I know prefers it direct to through water. But for typical vaporists the heat is probably too much.
However, for its convenience it is a small price to pay. There are unlimited ways to cool it down too, and I feel like doing that unlocks the true potential of the device.
That said, I do find it tolerable so it's not necessary for me to cool it, but I sure do prefer it. The only times I will toke directly from it are occasional rips in public or during a long walk/hike (which will now be swapped for the PFE and a 14mm glass dome, simply due to the convenience).

I was just checking on the status of my RMA, and noticed Caroline had queried why my blue front-end was bronze lol
It's uncanny how close to the true hopper bronze it turned from a few PBW soaks, having an actual bronze lid side by side it was impossible to tell them apart. Hopefully they get confused and replace it :p

slcbdco

All of it is subjective of course. I use my grasshopper with a water piece and with the PFE every once in awhile but for me the best experience is using the regular mouthpiece native. For me, that's the best flavor and experience.

What's great about the grasshoppper is it suits the taste for a broad spectrum, and it seems to particularly satisfy smokers.

Top Bottom