Discontinued The Grasshopper

kilrtjat

Accessory Maker
Hello, you recommend this vaporizer to buy? I want it to be secret, but a little afraid of battery life. What is design? On device is something that is often unreliable or can break?

kilrtjat,

Bass Vaper

:o You sir, are a trooper indeed. Patience of a saint would be putting it lightly!

haha, they don't give a flying fuck.. did they do anything extra for you for your 20 RMA's?

With respect to the Dr Dabber, apparently those atomizers can never really be cleaned properly? And they don't last very long before breaking down and needing replacement. Glad you have a stealthy option though, probably even more effective than a GH.

Thanks for your contribution bro, I have always empathized with your RMA woes...and respect your patience.
:peace:

My mother in law says the same thing about 'patience of a saint' for me marrying her daughter....

And to be fair, my patience ran out at #9. After that I was pretty much a dick for a few months. I don't like being that way but I just felt like giving back what I felt like I was getting. I settled down, no big deal. Stay up!

Agreed on the coils/atomizers. It's my first shot at them so I learned the hard way. Just get new ones vs trying to clean. The Puffco + is coil less and fucking rulz right now.

All I try and do is share my own real life experiences for others to glean what they want from it, keep biases or opinions out of it. Hopper Labs are the only ones who can make their own track record, I ain't got shit to do with it outside reporting my findings.

Thx for the kind words, man. Rock on.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Every time I speak to Caroline, I feel like I'm speaking to one of those airline agents that says (with the World's biggest smile):

- Agent: "I'm sorry sir that you are completely fucked! What can I do for you to make it better? Would you like a pin?" .
- JCat: "Sure! I'd love a pin!"
- Agent: "Here you go! That will be only $5!"
- JCat: "What? You want me to pay for the pin even though you messed up?"
- Agent: "But of course! We don't pay for anything that is our fault! Why would we? We have you by the balls! Oh yeah. And it will be an extra $25 in shipping ... maybe twice or more!!!"
- JCat: "Considering all the trouble, don't you think you should at least pay for half the cost of the pin? After all, it will still cost me $2.50 + $25 in shipping?"
- Agent: "I'm sorry. But we simply cannot pay for anything that is our fault--or yours. Is there anything else I can do to help?" (huge smile)
- JCat: (shakes head, gives up, and bends over)

nickb

SSV w/ Standard HC, LSV HC, thermovape all,
Happy to say i have had My Ti And SS hoppers now for a couple months trouble free, and hopper was fast fixing my previous SS hopper, they seem to be both working as advertised and i love them
Oh and BTW i use at full power and no silicon sleeve , the warmth dose not bother me i love it

Hello, you recommend this vaporizer to buy? I want it to be secret, but a little afraid of battery life. What is design? On device is something that is often unreliable or can break?
i love mine

Last edited by a moderator:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
When this unit isn't a faulty one they work exceptional. Be prepared to utilize the warranty if you buy one. Possible not all the bugs are worked out. Some folks have had very little problems but others have had to send theirs back 4 or 5 times. It does have a lifetime warranty but you will need to pay for some shipping.

Read through the thread you will see there are still ssues but not as many as they had 6 months ago. Hopefully the company will eventually get things all worked out. I love mine but am prepared to send it back if I have problems. I was gifted mine used from a friend and paid for the $45 change of ownership.

I like using mine with a water tube type of water tool. It hits pretty hard that way.

Last edited:

kilrtjat

Accessory Maker
When this unit isn't a faulty one they work exceptional. Be prepared to utilize the warranty if you buy one. Possible not all the bugs are worked out. Some folks have had very little problems but others have had to send theirs back 4 or 5 times. It does have a lifetime warranty but you will need to pay for some shipping.

Read through the thread you will see there are still ssues but not as many as they had 6 months ago. Hopefully the company will eventually get things all worked out. I love mine but am prepared to send it back if I have problems. I was gifted mine used from a friend and paid for the $45 change of ownership.

I like using mine with a water tube type of water tool. It hits pretty hard that way.

hello, thank you for your review. Now I used to arizer solo. but it is not much traveling in my pocket. Now I have quit smoking altogether and seeking a companion in my pocket. I do not want to make it seem that I carry in my pocket vibrator .. :-) deciding between grassopper, Vapir Prima, boundles cfc

JCat

Accessory Maker
:rofl::rofl::rofl:Classic bro!

The ride? Fun? Remember? ;)
Still very much love this device ... the company's disregard for its customers is outstanding though ... I can't think of a company I've ever dealt with that in this situation wouldn't offer some form of compensation or extra fast shipping or something in a similar situation.

As another member mentioned previously in some countries it's illegal to even charge the customer for shipping in situations where the company returns a repair not repaired!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
hello, thank you for your review. Now I used to arizer solo. but it is not much traveling in my pocket. Now I have quit smoking altogether and seeking a companion in my pocket. I do not want to make it seem that I carry in my pocket vibrator .. :-) deciding between grassopper, Vapir Prima, boundles cfc
If you can have some patience about need for service, and this would be a second vape, I say go for it. I have not recommended this as a first nor as only vape, mainly because of the reliability issues. The warranty goes a long way toward lessening the stress.
Things are much easier if your are in the US, freight is cheap and turnaround about two weeks.
The Grasshopper kicks butt, I love these things! though unfortunately at this time I would not have one if it had to be my only vape.
(they're not my only vapes, and I still have two!)

biohacker

Very well said @vapviking even though I know you won't read this because you block my posts, that is a very concise summary that would reflect my own opinions and experiences as well.

Actually, I feel like it should be some sort of disclaimer and highlighted for new potential customers!

Buyer beware and know the score!

guyonthecouch

Very well said @vapviking even though I know you won't read this because you block my posts, that is a very concise summary that would reflect my own opinions and experiences as well.

Actually, I feel like it should be some sort of disclaimer and highlighted for new potential customers!

Buyer beware and know the score!
Dude, you don't even own a hopper anymore.. do you have a vendetta against this company or something? ..Why do you feel as if only Hopper should have a disclaimer? What about every other vape company who's products are subject to failure with a 1-2yr warranty(end up in the vapeyard :rip:) and who have a much worse communication track record. Everyone wants to compare Hopper to large companies such as Pax and S&B when a better comparison would be Evoke..

Hopper is moving forward, you're still living in the past my man. You should always "know the score" when buying any product. It's up to the customer to due diligence and I always do by contacting the company/seller I'm buying from first. That's my advice when dealing with any company. It never hurts to throw an introduction email out there with concerns you may have and that way you know what you're getting into and have somewhat of a track record with the company you may purchase from. "Hey hey hey, back when i first contacted you, you said shipping was going to be free/cost for a warranty claim". Otherwise you're just going to be making assumptions about how the company conducts its activities.

I fully stand behind Hopper and their products. My stainless has worked flawlessly since day one, sold my Ti to a buddy(no issues either), and I've been using and abusing this thing with an avg of 20 bowls a day.
@biohacker You're claims of not being able to withstand heavy usage are false. You're claims of bad batches are also false. Not sure if you're aware but you're spreading misinformation.

@JCat - Speaking on others behalf, you claim Hopper Labs has no regard for their customers. Curious, have they mistreated you in anyway?

biohacker

Umm, WHAT?

Dude, you don't even own a hopper anymore.. do you have a vendetta against this company or something?

Not at all. I was agreeing with @vapviking post.. i'm not sure why your perception is off?

Why do you feel as if only Hopper should have a disclaimer?

I feel it speaks for itself. I thought perhaps the Crafty might need it, but it's way more robust and reliable than a GH IMO. And S&B warranty/exchange speaks for itself too. Apples and oranges. I stand by the GH needing a disclaimer, it's just my opinion man.

Hopper is moving forward, you're still living in the past my man.

:rofl:Yeah right! Does that mean you're living in denial? :hmm:

You should always "know the score" when buying any product.

I agree, but most customers don't, and just EXPECT it to work properly. RMA's should be the EXCEPTION not the rule for a product that isn't supposed to be in beta testing (which it very much still is IMO).

It's up to the customer to due diligence and I always do by contacting the company/seller I'm buying from first.

Okay, so you're going to ask the manufacturer what the defect rate or score is, and BELIEVE them? I've got some incredible weed I have for sale too, if you're interested :brow: Only $50/oz!

You're claims of not being able to withstand heavy usage are false.

No they are not. Have you been reading the thread? The GENERAL motif here seems to be related to usage, and although I know some users have had no issues hammering the thing (myself included for several months!), I still maintain that it's only a matter of time before the RMA light pops up.

You're claims of bad batches are also false.

:rofl:Again, right....this time i'm not going to edit my post like you requested in PM last time because Toronto Hemp Company has the bad batches. Guess what, not EVERYONE that has RMA's posts here either! @chris 71 where's your Toronto Hemp Co GH at now? Yep - R M A. Just like the two DOA I bought from them. Folks, i'd buy straight from HL for this reason. The reason for the bad batch? Well, that's for the ethics thread. I'm sorry if your "friends" at THC don't like my posts. Let's toss the bias' yeah?

Not sure if you're aware but you're spreading misinformation.

I'm not, but thanks for your concern. I'm spreading my own experience, and i'm not sure why I can't agree with another member's post, I didn't even slam the company or anything :doh:

I guess you're not hooking me up with all that glass anymore? ;) Hopper Orgy? @diddymao ? :lol:

And now you're picking on @JCat ? WTF bro, he's just sharing his experiences with his nightmare of RMA's/shipping as well... and I agree 100% on his assessment of Caroline and their CS. And he did it in a fucking hilarious witty fashion to boot!

:rolleyes:

JCat

Accessory Maker
Dude, you don't even own a hopper anymore.. do you have a vendetta against this company or something? ..Why do you feel as if only Hopper should have a disclaimer? What about every other vape company who's products are subject to failure with a 1-2yr warranty(end up in the vapeyard :rip:) and who have a much worse communication track record. Everyone wants to compare Hopper to large companies such as Pax and S&B when a better comparison would be Evoke..

Hopper is moving forward, you're still living in the past my man. You should always "know the score" when buying any product. It's up to the customer to due diligence and I always do by contacting the company/seller I'm buying from first. That's my advice when dealing with any company. It never hurts to throw an introduction email out there with concerns you may have and that way you know what you're getting into and have somewhat of a track record with the company you may purchase from. "Hey hey hey, back when i first contacted you, you said shipping was going to be free/cost for a warranty claim". Otherwise you're just going to be making assumptions about how the company conducts its activities.

I fully stand behind Hopper and their products. My stainless has worked flawlessly since day one, sold my Ti to a buddy(no issues either), and I've been using and abusing this thing with an avg of 20 bowls a day.
@biohacker You're claims of not being able to withstand heavy usage are false. You're claims of bad batches are also false. Not sure if you're aware but you're spreading misinformation.

@JCat - Speaking on others behalf, you claim Hopper Labs has no regard for their customers. Curious, have they mistreated you in anyway?
Yes. They have. My SS Hopper came back from an RMA (which costs ~$25 for me to send and is a 3 week round trip after 1 week of use total), and it was worse (much worse, worked less than 50% of the time), upon return. I have been nothing but courteous and asked nicely more than once for them to do something (as they messed up here). I actually just wanted them to cover less than half of the extra for return priority shipping ($9), and they outright refused. So when Hopper Labs messes up, the customer pays. All I was asking for was a "token" that they care, couldn't get that out of them.

biohacker you ever get the feeling everyone`s out to get you?
It's just the paranoia from too much long-term cannabis use!

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

mephisto

Can't quite understand the whole back and forth drama in open forum. The humor is most welcome, but the condescending statements towards other FC members is of no use. We all use vapes, we all want them to work. What purpose does it serve to bristle up at every post that does not heap praise on vape maker "X".
I have 2 hoppers, and I owned 2 before. All of my units have been back numerous times for RMA. Personally I think @JCat nailed it with his breakdown of the conversation w/ C.S. If you are put off, or frustrated with another members' comments, nut up and have a conversation via PM. Reach out and possibly build a bridge of communication. Just saying, this snarky cutting contest is harshing my mellow. Can't we all just fucking get along.....

Poostuff

Please delete
Anyway...both my front ends are scratched up because I can't be bothered using the silicon. I'm ok with it but I can see why people would want to avoid that.
Just got my mongs last week...yes mongs, wait we're not calling them that are we?
No more plastic in the air path for me. I'll admit I think they're a bit weird looking when they're on the GH & I miss the "pen" look but obviously there's more airflow & after using them for over a week I'd say a lot less cleaning & ease of it will be the biggest benefit for me.

guyonthecouch

@biohacker - dude, im not picking on anyone. But again, i don't get your logic. We understand you had a shit go with your hoppers and you don't have them anymore. Anything else you'd like to add to the convo?

Toronto Hemp Co is everyone's friend..

all hopper units everywhere are subject to the same failure issues. What makes you think they're isolated to THC? another assumption of the great biohacker?? Your experiences and opinions are fine, but boasting them as fact..

I was just curious as to what @JCat personal RMA experience has been rather than what he thinks of others experiences.. and he answered.. voila!!

guyonthecouch,

biohacker

Anything else you'd like to add to the convo?

Yes. Why do you have to only look at "shit go"? What about my awesome experiences when they were working bomb and I was ranting and raving and posting videos? Read @mephisto post again, he said it perfectly. Just like @vapviking. I think your perception is still way off. I think the GH kicks absolute ass when it works as it should. I will have another one day.

i don't get your logic.

Fortunately, many do. Listen, if you don't like my posts don't read them. If you think i'm breaking a forum rule (like being nice) then report it. Easy peasy.

another assumption of the great biohacker??

Seriously? :doh:

Now if you're done trying to attack me, can we not just move on??

biohacker you ever get the feeling everyone`s out to get you?

Not at all. Only a few, very small select group...we all know who they are.

Last edited:

btka

this ups mi (mail innovations) is really lame.... hope they will change to usps first class again... I am from europe and ordered the pfe on the 20th of may got shipped on the 27th... also tracking does not work last tracking entry is "Package transferred to post office"(since 4th of april...)... also tried to track via usps and my local post tracking, no informations...

if they send repaired or replaced hoppers with this snail mail I see a lot of people complaining to them in the future......

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

Between those vapes I would chose the Grasshopper. By the time those other vapes warm up you can take a grasshopper hit, be high and have it back in your pocket.

Here Here, It as is the grasshopper is the only vape to break or portable vapes are an old technology. Well bicycles still break and in the new exciting vape and particularly portable vape space, expectations need to be realistic.

With the exception of the vivape2 which I probably just didn't use enough, EVERY vape i've had has had at least one RMA issue.

OG Pax- sent it back because it stopped working and it was replaced. Subsequently sold it to a friend for $20

Pax2- sent it back because the button stopped working. It works fine now but I haven't used it in a few months.

OG Firefly - Just stopped working and sent it back, worked "fine" (read I know people can get great hits from it, my technique was hit or miss but great flavor) now in the evidence locker in some county sheriff in Iowa (the cop looked right past both grasshoppers and my pax2 but called out the firefly incase any question about how discrete the grasshopper or the pax2 to its credit are.

Elo- I forgot about the elo, weird little device, never broke but never really worked well either and the company didn't either as it's gone now.

MiVape- probably one of the best vapes that never caught on, great flavor but the door broke almost right away, cosmetic so I never fixed it. Can't remember the last time I used it, it's a lot of effort so even thought it's a pleasant vaping experience it doesn't get used much as in once every few months.

Firefly 2- easier to use than FF1 and great flavor, just really not worth the effort in my opinion when one has a perfectly good grasshoppper right there! I hadn't used the FF2 in awhile and wanted to try some concentrates only to discover the FF2 had broken from LACK OF USAGE! I have two baterries, both charge and are charged, it does it's orange glow but it won't vape flower or concentrate at any temp setting .... also fuck the app I know realize. I suppose I will do a warranty since the damn thing costs more than both my grasshoppers did, if there's any vape I actually think is junk though it's definitely the FF2 even with that amazing flavor when it works, you can achieve that with a grasshopper on low temps. As for concentrates, I got a bee nail and never looked back. I usually only Dab at home and with access to concentrates of the same strain, I really think a grasshopper flower hit at the right temp rivals the or is maybe better than the flavor from a dab, but again temperature is a big factor.

Davinci IQ- It has replaced my pax2 as my session vape. For me a session vape is used primarily for vaping tobacco and mixed herbs. My friends that haven't bought grasshoppers are smokers so when they come over the ONLY vape the are interested in is the Grasshopper and usually through a bong. The IQ malfunctioned a few times almost right away so I sent it back and now it's fine except for some quirks which I can live with for now. I also like how it's usuable without the app cus fuck apps.

Grasshopper- yeah it breaks. How often? :hmm: Partly because:

a. Who cares I have two
b. I haven't smoked cannabis on my own in the 2 years I've had a grasshopper and even with my other vapes I use the grasshoppper 90% of the time.
c. I live down the street from HL and will sometimes get a perfectly good component replaced with a updated or experimental version, some of which broke others were better, others worse so it's hard to trace back my OG unit for reliability because I usually have some specie of non-production spec

All that said, the most important aspect of the grasshopper as compared to all my other vapes is that I USE IT! I love using my grasshopper, I like cannabis but love it through my grasshopper. Unlike my other vapes, which always felt a little like novelty items, the grasshoppper is the first vape that i really enjoy MORE than smoking, for flavor, effect and experience.

The ananlogy I always make is with BMW, sure it costs more to fix a BMW than a Toyota. Both will need breaks at some point the difference is while it doesn't need brakes which is most of the time, would you rather be driving a BMW or a Toyota?

If you don't mind a Toyota, buy all means get the venture capital backed pax3 which "probably" won't break if you want to drive a BMW and meanwhile support a small company, not backed by big tobacco VC backed company selling devices that cost $4 to make plus $90 per unit of marketing for a $260 device or whatever they sell them for, instead a small startup assembling a high quality device with high quality and custom parts in the US with skilled workers (I've seen the asambly room with my own eyes) with a LIFETIME warranty and constant innovation then BMW err Grasshopper is for you!

And if you're worried about your grasshopper breaking, just get two! :brow:

biohacker

Hopper Labs personally told me there have been various revisions to the product before replacing my unit, that never really lasted more than 3 weeks at a time, with a new revised version. I don't think this is surprising news considering many people have noted differences between the old ones and the new ones.

Yo @Icon13 where you at? Come join the orgy! :cheers:

JCat

Accessory Maker
Between those vapes I would chose the Grasshopper. By the time those other vapes warm up you can take a grasshopper hit, be high and have it back in your pocket.

Here Here, It as is the grasshopper is the only vape to break or portable vapes are an old technology. Well bicycles still break and in the new exciting vape and particularly portable vape space, expectations need to be realistic.

With the exception of the vivape2 which I probably just didn't use enough, EVERY vape i've had has had at least one RMA issue.

OG Pax- sent it back because it stopped working and it was replaced. Subsequently sold it to a friend for $20

Pax2- sent it back because the button stopped working. It works fine now but I haven't used it in a few months.

OG Firefly - Just stopped working and sent it back, worked "fine" (read I know people can get great hits from it, my technique was hit or miss but great flavor) now in the evidence locker in some county sheriff in Iowa (the cop looked right past both grasshoppers and my pax2 but called out the firefly incase any question about how discrete the grasshopper or the pax2 to its credit are.

Elo- I forgot about the elo, weird little device, never broke but never really worked well either and the company didn't either as it's gone now.

MiVape- probably one of the best vapes that never caught on, great flavor but the door broke almost right away, cosmetic so I never fixed it. Can't remember the last time I used it, it's a lot of effort so even thought it's a pleasant vaping experience it doesn't get used much as in once every few months.

Firefly 2- easier to use than FF1 and great flavor, just really not worth the effort in my opinion when one has a perfectly good grasshoppper right there! I hadn't used the FF2 in awhile and wanted to try some concentrates only to discover the FF2 had broken from LACK OF USAGE! I have two baterries, both charge and are charged, it does it's orange glow but it won't vape flower or concentrate at any temp setting .... also fuck the app I know realize. I suppose I will do a warranty since the damn thing costs more than both my grasshoppers did, if there's any vape I actually think is junk though it's definitely the FF2 even with that amazing flavor when it works, you can achieve that with a grasshopper on low temps. As for concentrates, I got a bee nail and never looked back. I usually only Dab at home and with access to concentrates of the same strain, I really think a grasshopper flower hit at the right temp rivals the or is maybe better than the flavor from a dab, but again temperature is a big factor.

Davinci IQ- It has replaced my pax2 as my session vape. For me a session vape is used primarily for vaping tobacco and mixed herbs. My friends that haven't bought grasshoppers are smokers so when they come over the ONLY vape the are interested in is the Grasshopper and usually through a bong. The IQ malfunctioned a few times almost right away so I sent it back and now it's fine except for some quirks which I can live with for now. I also like how it's usuable without the app cus fuck apps.

Grasshopper- yeah it breaks. How often? :hmm: Partly because:

a. Who cares I have two
b. I haven't smoked cannabis on my own in the 2 years I've had a grasshopper and even with my other vapes I use the grasshoppper 90% of the time.
c. I live down the street from HL and will sometimes get a perfectly good component replaced with a updated or experimental version, some of which broke others were better, others worse so it's hard to trace back my OG unit for reliability because I usually have some specie of non-production spec

All that said, the most important aspect of the grasshopper as compared to all my other vapes is that I USE IT! I love using my grasshopper, I like cannabis but love it through my grasshopper. Unlike my other vapes, which always felt a little like novelty items, the grasshoppper is the first vape that i really enjoy MORE than smoking, for flavor, effect and experience.

The ananlogy I always make is with BMW, sure it costs more to fix a BMW than a Toyota. Both will need breaks at some point the difference is while it doesn't need brakes which is most of the time, would you rather be driving a BMW or a Toyota?

If you don't mind a Toyota, buy all means get the venture capital backed pax3 which "probably" won't break if you want to drive a BMW and meanwhile support a small company, not backed by big tobacco VC backed company selling devices that cost $4 to make plus $90 per unit of marketing for a $260 device or whatever they sell them for, instead a small startup assembling a high quality device with high quality and custom parts in the US with skilled workers (I've seen the asambly room with my own eyes) with a LIFETIME warranty and constant innovation then BMW err Grasshopper is for you!

Getting 2 doesn't necessarily solve the problem since round trip is 3 weeks for RMA if I'm lucky. If you live down the street from them it completely changes everything (means you save up to hundreds of dollars and months of downtime every year vs us International customers ... free trade isn't helping much! :lol:)

Would you be ok if you had to mail your BMW out for repair where you would be without for 10-20% of the year at your personal expense of >10-20% of the cost of the car?

I've already spent >20% in RMA costs on top of the purchase cost of my SS Hopper. I have to-date ~1 week of use. It will have spent 6 weeks in repair or transit (maybe 5 because I'll have insisted on the priority shipping this time, which I had to pay 100% of myself ... HL refused to cover even a portion of it or make up for it w/ a battery or two etc) I guess it is unreasonable for me to expect that a device returned from RMA works as well or better than when I sent it in ...

duff

Well worn
Seriously flawed advice IMO.

I've only ever had one Hopper and I'm glad.
Between RMAs and fluctuating performance that would be a very unsatisfying experience especially for the novice vapist.

As most frustrated customers (including myself) have stated, when working properly the Hopper is great.

Unfortunately, my experience is that when I need the Hopper most, I haven't been able to count on it.

If I'm HL, that's not the perception I want of my device and I'd do just about anything to rectify it including being as transparent as possible.

Throwing that you live down the street does nothing to strengthen your stance.

We all hope HL are a bunch of nice folks that care, but most of us will never know.

Sorry, I try not to post on this thread much unless I have an update but leading an overseas customer to purchase two Hoppers is downright irresponsible.

Top Bottom