Discontinued The Grasshopper

almost there

Happiness is a warm hopper!
My SS model arrived today.
Working just fiiiiiine on Friday afternoon!
that's great news indeed, I'm still counting down the minutes till I can go home. The agony of the wait knowing it's in my own home is worse than when it's "processing". It's been a challenge trying to sit still all day after receiving the delivery txt at 10am this morning, leaves me with 9 hours of slow torture at the job.

Baron23

Thanks everyone for the tips. I had it packed too tightly. I could tell as soon as I loosened it up the draw felt much better!! Wow!!!!!:razz::love:
Yes, do NOT tamp your load in the GH.

What I like to use are these two products from our own darling bouncing boy, @Ratchett and Delta 3D Studios:

The spiral stand: https://delta3dstudios.com/grasshopper-mini-spiral-stand/

The loading funnel, mini and regular:
https://delta3dstudios.com/grasshopper-mini-loading-funnel/
https://delta3dstudios.com/grasshopper-loading-funnel/

Put the GH in the stand with the front end off.
Take a scoop, much like THIS ONE and drop into the oven from the scoop via the funnel
You can fill it to the top, but do NOT pack it. I tend to fill it..oh...about 7/8's of capacity.

This gets me the right load density and works well for me.

Good luck.

jules172

Yes, do NOT tamp your load in the GH.

What I like to use are these two products from our own darling bouncing boy, @Ratchett and Delta 3D Studios:

The spiral stand: https://delta3dstudios.com/grasshopper-mini-spiral-stand/

The loading funnel, mini and regular:
https://delta3dstudios.com/grasshopper-mini-loading-funnel/
https://delta3dstudios.com/grasshopper-loading-funnel/

Put the GH in the stand with the front end off.
Take a scoop, much like THIS ONE and drop into the oven from the scoop via the funnel
You can fill it to the top, but do NOT pack it. I tend to fill it..oh...about 7/8's of capacity.

This gets me the right load density and works well for me.

Good luck.

I have the funnel, I will have to add the stand. :) thank you!!

inferno22

Hey everyone,

So I've had a grey TI for about a week and just got a SS as well two days ago. When I got the TI it seemed like the unit wasn't producing the type of clouds I've regularly seen in other people's videos, even on temps four and five. The vapor wasn't nearly as dense. On top of that, even after setting it to those higher temps, no matter how many times/how long I hit it, the ABV left over was always a light brown or green instead of the darker brown ABV I'm used to with other vapes/have seen in other people's videos. That was more of a red flag to me.

I was wondering if maybe my heater was not functioning to its fullest capacity. But before deciding on any warranty options, I said let me wait for my SS so I could compare the two. Surely I wouldn't get two faulty units right? Well the SS came and it behaves the same way. I do feel the effects but it just doesn't seem as powerful at extraction as so many other owners have documented. Especially without a waterpipe. And even with the waterpipe I'm not really getting that thick white walling of vapor in my piece.

Is there possibly something I'm not doing correctly? Any suggestions on what I should do next? Everything is clean, I've tried seven different batteries and they all seem to perform the same. Tried two different strains. Tried setting the material out for about two hours first to dry. Tried different amounts in the chamber, and different types of grind. I'm lost and kinda disappointed in the device so far, so any help would much appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:

MonkeyTime

Hey everyone,

So I've had a grey TI for about a week and just got a SS as well two days ago. When I got the TI it seemed like the unit wasn't producing the type of clouds I've regularly seen in other people's videos, even on temps four and five. The vapor wasn't nearly as dense. On top of that, even after setting it to those higher temps, no matter how many times/how long I hit it, the ABV left over was always a light brown or green instead of the darker brown ABV I'm used to with other vapes/have seen in other people's videos. That was more of a red flag to me.

I was wondering if maybe my heater was not functioning to its fullest capacity. But before deciding on any warranty options, I said let me wait for my SS so I could compare the two. Surely I wouldn't get two faulty units right? Well the SS came and it behaves the same way. I do feel the effects but it just doesn't seem as powerful at extraction as so many other owners have documented. Especially without a waterpipe. And even with the waterpipe I'm not really getting that thick white walling of vapor in my piece.

Is there possibly something I'm not doing correctly? Any suggestions on what I should do next? Everything is clean, I've tried seven different batteries and they all seem to perform the same. Tried two different strains. Tried setting the material out for about two hours first to dry. Tried different amounts in the chamber, and different types of grind. I'm lost and kinda disappointed in the device so far, so any help would much appreciated! Thank you!
There are a few things it could be, but there is the possibility that you got an "off" unit. My first Ti was just like you describe, I rarely used it, but it died pretty quick anyways. My replacement unit was much better, noticeably better.

How is your battery life?

J T

My Hopper is very finicky about how tightly the back-end is screwed on when charging.
Typically I'll have to loosen the back-end a bit to get the oem charger to work.

Wow I feel like an idea lol. I don't know why, but I only thought of tightening it more, when it wasn't working, not loosening it. I am now very excited to say that this worked!! Just have to find the sweet spot for charging(tighten or loosen a bit until the red light comes on).

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :)

almost there

Soooooo, got home from my little dinner party and attacked that parcel waiting for me on top of the kitchen table. It's a really small box for sure, should have taken my time and did the whole slow unveiling but screw that I watched enough reviews, there's no mystery anymore. Nonetheless, upon first inspection it's smaller than I expected. Looking at it I just can't believe this is the little monster that caused so much joy and frustration. It's very pretty without a doubt, I'm glad I went budget and got the ss, any lighter would have felt flimsy to me. Wish I had the energy to get acquainted but I'll have something to look forward to tomorrow evening. So far everything looks good, I did a few burn offs and nothing seems off. I'm happy to see my dhgate order that I tried to synchronize has also reached my city, if all goes well by tomorrow evening I'll be fully equipped to test drive my new friend.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
This is a Pinnacle Pro WT Knockoff. It's 14mm, Hopper works native but a little better with silicone condom. I await the HL wpa...
On top is a Delta3d Studios "B" grade Herbalizer water adapter that I got on promotion for free (thanks @Ratchett ). I cut off a little bit of the tip to enlarge the hole for the
Arizer glass whip mouthpiece.

We prefer this approach over drawing straight from the big opening of the bubbler.

Jl7ooWf.jpg

Next is my home rigged Ball Jar bubbler.
I fashioned the jar's lid from a cutting board, routing the perimeter edge to about 3/16" thick and drilling two 5/8" dia. holes. The material is just forgiving enough that it allows the glass fittings to snug down, be firm and seal.
The downstem is an 18mm/18mm showerhead from Oregon glassblowers. There's a 18/14mm glass adapter in there; again, I await the HL wpa!
Elbow and mouthpiece are Arizer whip type.
Tubing is 5/16" inside dia. med. grade silicone'
This one's gotten a LOT of use! with Hoppers and Mighty.

BfbLHCI.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

Hey everyone,

Welcome @inferno22 !

I hate hearing when a new gh (X 2) isn't working to expectations.

2 other things I can suggest before reaching out to ghl: 1) I barely tamp down a load, and I don't completely fill the oven, and 2) have you tried a load on the lower temps (2 or lower) and compared the abv to loads at higher temps? That should nail it down whether your heater is underperforming.

FYI - my abv is golden brown. That's with native use. I do get darker abv in other vapes. So you may want to slightly adjust your abv expectations.

Good luck! I'm certain this will get sorted out. I'd just prefer if you had immediate gratification.

curtiscaped

Sorry if someone else posted this question. I have a titanium GH and have been using it in a leather protective case for fountain pens, fits well and room on other side for extra battery. Anyway, noticed my hopper has been getting very scratched, didn't think the metal would be so soft that leather would scratch it, especially this much.

MoltenTiger

Sorry if someone else posted this question. I have a titanium GH and have been using it in a leather protective case for fountain pens, fits well and room on other side for extra battery. Anyway, noticed my hopper has been getting very scratched, didn't think the metal would be so soft that leather would scratch it, especially this much.
Titanium oxidises in the air which forms a patina (the coloured grasshoppers are all specially conditioned titanium, causing either a uniform and etched, or a heat treated and polished finish).

Unfortunately, the patina is generally very thin (extremely thin for the plain Ti's natural TiO2 layer), so it can be scratched easily. It is also prone to making scratches more pronounced than SS as the refractive layer of variously conditioned TiO2 causes any blemish to be more obvious than the bare metal (which consequently is prone to corrosion).

Due to the thin surface layers and general material strength, titanium can be recondition back to a brushed or bead-blasted finish, but it's probably only worth attempting if it's really bad.
Scratches fade/blend with age generally too.

Either way, I'm going to be paying more attention to what I'm putting in the hopper. It's just a tool at the end of the day, and mine are both well seasoned now.
I just swapped two hot cross buns for one of the dankest nugs I've vaped for ages! And damn, two chambers destroyed me.
When even the hairs are crystaly, the GH delivers

Such a sweet mason rig @vapviking
I need to get me a 21-hole diffuser downstream already!

Last edited:
I got my address confirmation middle of last week, upgraded to priority shipping and still haven't gotten my SS yet. I am so desperate for it to get here. I hate that my mail always comes at the very end of the day too.
Man, nothing has ever felt so relatable. I swear USPS hits my fucking house last on their route. Like wtf are they doing all morning? I've lived in so many different places and its always been that way. Surely somebody is receiving something in the morning.

The front of my TI is scratched from puttin it in a hydrotube without the rubber front on it. I didn't know glass would scratch titanium..

Last edited by a moderator:

duff

Well worn
Just sent mine in for service again and was marveling at how beat up it looks.

curtiscaped

Titanium oxidises in the air which forms a patina (the coloured grasshoppers are all specially conditioned titanium, causing either a uniform and etched, or a heat treated and polished finish).

Unfortunately, the patina is generally very thin (extremely thin for the plain Ti's natural TiO2 layer), so it can be scratched easily. It is also prone to making scratches more pronounced than SS as the refractive layer of variously conditioned TiO2 causes any blemish to be more obvious than the bare metal (which consequently is prone to corrosion).

Due to the thin surface layers and general material strength, titanium can be recondition back to a brushed or bead-blasted finish, but it's probably only worth attempting if it's really bad.
Scratches fade/blend with age generally too.

Either way, I'm going to be paying more attention to what I'm putting in the hopper. It's just a tool at the end of the day, and mine are both well seasoned now.
I just swapped two hot cross buns for one of the dankest nugs I've vaped for ages! And damn, two chambers destroyed me.
When even the hairs are crystaly, the GH delivers

Such a sweet mason rig @vapviking
I need to get me a 21-hole diffuser downstream already!

I'm not too worried about cosmetics, I was concerned cause it's so scratched I thought I may not be able to see the temp indicators. But I guess I can always set it by feel.

almost there

Hey everyone,

I'm having the same experience with my ss that arrived yesterday. I tried a couple of draws going from T3 to T5 without much vapor worth noting. By all means I feel the harshness at the back of my throat so at least I know it's heating. To my surprise even at T5 I wasn't bothered by the the heat of the mp or the vapor. Went thru 2 batteries and not much is different The material is the same that I use with my other vaporizers so that's definitely not it. Batteries are fine bc it lasted thru the expected amount of time so not that either. Another case of a weak oven or a faulty sensor? Forgot to mention abv is light brown despite a session at T5, also have the flashing blue lights going.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

I'm not too worried about cosmetics, I was concerned cause it's so scratched I thought I may not be able to see the temp indicators. But I guess I can always set it by feel.
You could always run a scotch brite pad over the temp dial section, I might even do this myself for the same reason

-----
In true spirit of the hopper I got an adapter made up ready for the WPA in cop light
472bc6a0ed.png

Last edited:

Vape Dr.

Another great reason you will want to get the WPA for your hopper!:D

With the new WPA you can increase the cooling by simply putting the stock MP on the WPA!:brow:

Now back to back to back draws using your hopper dry are much cooler.

And it actually stays on pretty well!:nod:

:science:

almost there

Another great reason you will want to get the WPA for your hopper!:D

With the new WPA you can increase the cooling by simply putting the stock MP on the WPA!:brow:

Now back to back to back draws using your hopper dry are much cooler.

And it actually stays on pretty well!:nod:

:science:
For sure killer, the problem isn't that we won't buy it but that hopper labs only offered it to u, lol

Top Bottom