Discontinued The Grasshopper

tubasco

Were those marks on the battery terminal not there before sending the body off? In my experience that is the marking pattern that comes from normal use. To me it looks like "scratch off" lottery ticket material as the conduction point. In my previous bodies I've noticed a direct correlation between vapor performance and the decrease in this gold stuff on the contact. The checkerboard pattern appears (to me) to be the heater pattern below the contact point which is a clear material.
Sorry about that. I didn't see the marks you're talking about until just now. Like a finely-tipped object was pressed there. Maybe a testing device they made to be able to diagnose without disassembly?

ROB520

Has anyone tried soda charger?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012CON4L8?vs=1

Friend gave me this charger free and the hopper cells dock perfectly in there no need to adjust like nitecore. Not a big deal just something I noticed

Also I got iso in heater not really sure how, anyway after cleaning I turned it on and I could here the hopper sizzling kinda like wen u hit a mod. I quickly clicked it off and started putting myself down for being so careless. Anyway later that day tried it again and its fine. Guess i got lucky?:shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Flavor intensity on first hit makes me drool. Have to angle hopper up so saliva doesn't drip in. Some strange Pavlovian reaction I suppose. Probably just me.

Hey twin! I thought that was only me! It's way the Grasshopper is a personal vape!

This is misleading. Convection is just a good if not far superior for sessions. Being a solo vape is just the nature of the Grasshopper, but not necessarily convection.

Agreed and even GHL would tell you it's designed to be a "personal" device, sure you could share it but gross ... see above, what have backwash when you can have a freshies, in other words, the best way to have a grasshopper session with friends is for them to stop by Terrapin Care Station in Boulder or Denver and buy there own!

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Hey twin! I thought that was only me! It's way the Grasshopper is a personal vape!

Agreed and even GHL would tell you it's designed to be a "personal" device, sure you could share it but gross ... see above, what have backwash when you can have a freshies, in other words, the best way to have a grasshopper session with friends is for them to stop by Terrapin Care Station in Boulder or Denver and buy there own!

Last year I shared my PAX 2 with a friend outside a cinema, he drooled into it, the saliva pooled under the flat mouthpiece and fizzled in the tube, it really grossed me out.

My Purple-Ti is personal only, the guests get to use the Green-Ti.

JoeMama

This is misleading. Convection is just a good if not far superior for sessions. Being a solo vape is just the nature of the Grasshopper, but not necessarily convection.

I own an Evolutions Vaporizer, which is IMO one of the best ever produced. One bowl puffs for days; really long. And because it is convection, you can sit on it and then continue. I've owned it for over 10 years. It's amazing and ideal for sessions, BIG ONES! Beautiful, dense clouds.

If I could edit the post I would change my sentence to "I think it may be that portable conduction vapes are more suitable to session vaping."

Surely we can agree on that?

(I was not attempting to compare apples to oranges. Or grasshoppers to praying mantises.)

All good IMO... While I defer to my friends here with a greater variety of vapes at their dispoal, I can say that the FW4 is an excellent session vape.
I'll also say here that I think the flavor from the FW is really nice and smooth. A few times I was surprised that the ABV was so dark. If that was the Hopper, I'd have a bad taste in my mouth. The FW is also consistent, something I can't say about the Hopper.

Has anyone tried soda charger?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012CON4L8?vs=1

Friend gave me this charger free and the hopper cells dock perfectly in there no need to adjust like nitecore. Not a big deal just something I noticed

Also I got iso in heater not really sure how, anyway after cleaning I turned it on and I could here the hopper sizzling kinda like wen u hit a mod. I quickly clicked it off and started putting myself down for being so careless. Anyway later that day tried it again and its fine. Guess i got lucky?:shrug:

Before I got my Nitecore, I'd never really had a battery charger as I just didn't have a lot of battery-related things. So the large bays on the Nitecore made me wonder what batteries fit in there.. The Hopper batteries are custom, so yeah, they're hard to place, but @Ratchett has some perfect battery sleeves that adapt them to the charger.

And now, I have the FW, and its batteries are the larger kind, so the Nitecore comes through.

Moral of the story, I'm glad I didn't cheap out on a charger or I'd have to get another one.

Last year I shared my PAX 2 with a friend outside a cinema, he drooled into it, the saliva pooled under the flat mouthpiece and fizzled in the tube, it really grossed me out.

Eeeeeeeewwwww!! :ugh:

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

Over the last week or so I've left my blue GH alone (it has been going straight to blue with no heat) I've only been using my other hopper. I emptied the unused chamber in the blue out earlier today to use, then discarded the hopper again.

I just took it out to have a proper look.

I remember reading that the elevape uses an optical thermal sensor, I'm unsure how the hopper handles it's temperature business, but assume it could be similar.

I have been fairly careless with material in my hoppers, I'll just pour in some kief to enjoy, normally on top of some herb already loaded, but I'm not overly careful.
I hardly, and I mean very rarely, clean my hoppers, and although this particular body wasn't very old (1 month ish) it had accumulated a fair bit of residue - the chamber walls were coated in powdery weed and baked on oils, the heater screen faintly discoloured with a thin layer of resin.

There has been some talk of cleaning under the chamber screen to rid the straight to blue issue, which I think would make sense if the heater sensors are optical (and are thus blocked by residue that can be cleaned off)

As my device was turning on but not heating up, I just did the unthinkable and gave it a blast of air down the chamber. This either dislodged something, or caused a thermal change triggering the sensors, either way - it caused the hopper to heat up - and it still is* although the red lights seem to be lingering for a touch longer than normal.

I think there's a design flaw with the hopper being too enclosed, and unable to be easily cleaned....
This would explain the copious sensor issues (cop lights, red then dead, straight to blue)
Either from displaced thermal mass, or physically obstructing the sensors.

What do you guys think?

I'm hopeful my blue hopper continues to work, so I can lend my good unit away for a week.
If it's just a dirty unit giving me issues, I think it should recuperate well enough as it's relatively fresh.

*it did work and then stop working, prior to blowing down the chamber

Last edited:

btka

Over the last week or so I've left my blue GH alone (it has been going straight to blue with no heat) I've only been using my other hopper. I emptied the unused chamber in the blue out earlier today to use, then discarded the hopper again.

I remember reading that the elevape uses an optical thermal sensor, I'm unsure how the hopper handles it's temperature business, but assume it could be similar.

I have been fairly careless with material in my hoppers, I'll just pour in some kief to enjoy, normally on top of some herb already loaded, but I'm not overly careful.
I hardly, and I mean very rarely, clean my hoppers, and although this particular body wasn't very old (1 month ish) it had accumulated a fair bit of residue - the chamber walls were coated in powdery weed and baked on oils, the heater screen faintly discoloured with a thin layer of resin.

There has been some talk of cleaning under the chamber screen to rid the straight to blue issue, which I think would make sense if the heater sensors are optical (and are thus blocked by residue that can be cleaned off)

As my device was turning on but not heating up, I just did the unthinkable and gave it a blast of air down the chamber. This either dislodged something, or caused a thermal change triggering the sensors, either way - it caused the hopper to heat up - and it still is* although the red lights seem to be lingering for a touch longer than normal.

I think there's a design flaw with the hopper being too enclosed, and unable to be easily cleaned....
This would explain the copious sensor issues (cop lights, red then dead, straight to blue)

What do you guys think?

I'm hopeful my blue hopper continues to work, so I can lend my good unit away for a week.
If it's just a dirty unit giving me issues, I think it should recuperate well enough as it's relatively fresh.

does it work now? as far as I know the optical sensor in the elevape did adjust temp by recognizing the glowing of the heat element.. I do not think gh have an optical heat sensor... but this is pure speculation..

MoltenTiger

does it work now? as far as I know the optical sensor in the elevape did adjust temp by recognizing the glowing of the heat element.. I do not think gh have an optical heat sensor... but this is pure speculation..
I just got a huge cloud from it with the SoL and some fresh herb. It took longer to heat up, and it seemed like the battery wasn't full (which it was not).

But, it did actually click on. It took a couple of goes to get the big clouds, from memory I went glass but it was on a low temp (slid it up but didn't really respond), clicked it off, then on and toked direct where I puffed a thick cloud out after seconds, so then straight to glass to go to town.

I haven't vaped these buds yet, so I'll compare that to my Ti and a fresh battery blue boy. We'll see if it has any more curve balls to throw me.

With the heater tech, that's interesting hey. I think the elevape has a flat round coil, SS? or some weird nickel varient. So that would glow via resistance, and perhaps that's what the sensor measures.

My thinking was more inline with an IR sensor, like one of those laser thermometer guns.
I don't really know anything about that though, I'll have some more chambers and do some reading.

I just emptied the chamber after getting a couple of clouds through a micro rig.
ABV is fairly normal, but quite light.
Again, no proper reference as I just picked up my ganja

8b2d8bb054.png

so far so good, both hoppers are performing similar enough!
We'll see for how long though

Last edited:

Icon13

Serial Vapist
If I could edit the post I would change my sentence to "I think it may be that portable conduction vapes are more suitable to session vaping."

Surely we can agree on that?

(I was not attempting to compare apples to oranges. Or grasshoppers to praying mantises.)

Actually, I still disagree with you. I think being a Solo Vape is the nature of the grasshopper, but not convection regardless if it is portable or a desktop. I have not used one, but it seems as though the firewood 4 is a perfect example of a portable convection Vape that is well suited for sessions.

I think the variables that make a good convection Vape for sessions are more focused around the distance the herb is from the heating element, bowl size temp, and how long the vapor path is.

tubasco

I have not used one, but
enough said.

I stand by my OPINION that currently available portable conduction vaporizers are more suitable to "session" vaping than currently available portable convection vaporizers.

Disagree with my opinion all you want. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish by posting that you disagree with me though?

tubasco,

btka

got my gh back from HL today... they replaced my body with a new one... I did not use a gh since one month...

It seems like air restriction with this body is much less, more or less no restriction... did someone else experience this with new hopper or hopper body... or is it just imagination of me... because I used an other vape while waiting for my gh....

also it seems like my gh needs longer to get to temp. ...

need to experiment more...

Icon13

Serial Vapist
enough said.

I stand by my OPINION that currently available portable conduction vaporizers are more suitable to "session" vaping than currently available portable convection vaporizers.

Disagree with my opinion all you want. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish by posting that you disagree with me though?

I've been following the firewood thread and I'm just going off of what others have said.

I think the key word is CURRENTLY AVAILABLE, which you had not previously mentioned. I do agree with you there. I took your original statement as portability and convection are not compatible with sessions. I wouldn't quantify portable convection vaping as something that's is only suitable for solo sessions.

More convection vaporizers will come on the horizon and I'm sure some of them will be good for sessions like the firewood.

On another note here is a video of my replacement hopper killing a small bowl in two hits on temperature 4.5...

Last edited:

sashka69

I got a message from Caroline:

"[...] In regards to the rattle, I showed the video to the team and they would like to have you send it to us for service. In order for you to do so, please submit a warranty request on GHVape.com and I will get this processed for you and send you instructions for how to return the device to us. Unfortunately, Verdampftnochmal doesn’t have the ability to test the device or knowledge about what could cause this error.

We are happy that they are assisting you with your other Hopper troubles, but would like to have you send this Hopper to us for service."

Hmmm....Perhaps they are just curious... Or they are just careful. But now i'm worried about the rattle noise. They want to take my hoppers' soul away :brow:

I will send it in, BUT i cant register my hopper because of the error "serial nr not found " on the website. So Caroline got another mail. THAT'S frustrating. When I RMA'd my other broken hoppers to verdampftnochmal, I usually get them back within a week.

Now its almost a week and nothing happend but 2 mails from me and 1 from Caroline. :doh: That's such a slow CS. Nice to have 2 backup hoppers.:science:

@ GERMAN HOPPER USERS WHO HAD WARRANTY EXPERIENCES WITH HL: how did you ship it and how long took the whole process till you got your hopper back? I'm afraid of the costs, what about insurance as well ?

Hello,

What a great day.
This was the solution with my rattling hopper.

I removed the heater screen and 2 pieces of metal (hopper crap) came out. They laid on the blue heater when i looked into the chamber.

It was a little bit tricky to get the heater screen back in place but i got it.

Hopper is back in business.

Now something different.

Today I was at the German customs to get my battery order.
This was a shitty situation when the custom guy told me: "There's NO "CE"-mark on it. And you ordered 13 pieces. I think you are a seller, maybe on ebay? I won't give them to you."

I was shocked and told him, these are batteries for my e-cigarette and that they are only for myself.
If i had told him the truth (5 batteries are for my buddy) then he would NOT have given them to me. (NO CE mark on it means "no quality standard tests passed" and If I sold them, I would be punishable). At the end he gave them to me, because I promised, that these "dangerous" batteries are only for myself.

He told me 3 times, I should send them back to the USA and use PayPal to get my money back.

He told me also, that CE mark should also be known in the USA.
Hopper labs should fix this ASAP. Otherwise I see many angry customers because they have problems with the customs.

I will send Caroline a message. On the hopper box there is a CE mark. Are they just stupid?

I'm very happy that i bought my devices at a retail shop here in Germany.

Last edited:

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Hello,

I removed the heater screen and 2 pieces of metal (hopper crap) came out. They laid on the blue heater when i looked into the chamber.

I'm glad your hopper is back up and working and I'm glad you were able to get your batteries.

But what the heck are those two metal turds and how the heck did they end up in your hopper?

Very weird.

JoeMama

What do you guys think?

That's something good to know... I've "heard" that air shouldn't be blown into the chamber, and of course, I took that to mean not to even think of breathing near that opening. But after having seen the pic posted by @sashka69 above, I can't see how a modest puff or two into the chamber would be a bad thing. Just my opinion. And if I were in your situation, I'd have resorted to similarly plausible experiments.

I'm glad you didn't soak it in ISO, as some have said works. I only say that because *I* am a chickenshit about doing such things. Although, I'm not discounting that even GHL might do something so "advanced" if in fact it's such a modular circuit that it's treated like jewelry.

This optical and laser thermal sensing topic is very interesting. I'm a radio-frequency EE, but when thermal energy meets RF, it hurts my head. Even though heat is actually an electromagnetic wave! Thanks, James Clerk Maxwell :clap:

Anyway, @btka , when you say "optical", do you mean this? I never knew of such a type, it's pretty cool.

I took your original statement as portability and convection are not compatible with sessions. I wouldn't quantify portable convection vaping as something that's is only suitable for solo sessions.

Not to stick my nose into anything other than to attest that the FW4 makes for a great portable session convection vape.

Looks like solder to me

It does, but.. but... how does something like this get by? Unlesss, the bodies are put together in

Trust me, EVERYONE will like this... It gets better as it runs. I'm still laughing.

CroZure

My Hopper that I ordered from ebay showed up today. I decided to roll the dice on an eBay one while I wait on my pre order, which should be shipped this week (fingers crossed). The clouds on this vape is amazing. It defiently gets much hotter than my FF2 but I can deal with it. I'm loving tell drawl resistence compared to the FF2.

So I used this guy all evening and ran the battery almost completely out. When I put it on the charger, it flashes red once and that's it. Then no more flashing. Is this normal or is my charger a dud? I currently have the battery charging on my old Haze charger.

MoltenTiger

My Hopper that I ordered from ebay showed up today. I decided to roll the dice on an eBay one while I wait on my pre order, which should be shipped this week (fingers crossed). The clouds on this vape is amazing. It defiently gets much hotter than my FF2 but I can deal with it. I'm loving tell drawl resistence compared to the FF2.

So I used this guy all evening and ran the battery almost completely out. When I put it on the charger, it flashes red once and that's it. Then no more flashing. Is this normal or is my charger a dud? I currently have the battery charging on my old Haze charger.
Try connecting the magnet to the hopper, then connecting the USB end to power.

Using an external charger is ideal though, especially with multiple batteries

@JoeMama what an amazing list of achievements from Maxwell, and then what an amazing amount of times recorded by someone saying China. 40 seconds in and the word lost most meaning haha!

Last edited:

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
End of the month a friend of mine wants to bring me along some vape items from the US.
Here in Germany GHBs are much than twice so expansive as in the US. So I want to get some from the US being bringed along by my friend.
Does anyones know whether there are any probs with transport them overseas by plane from the US? I have read something like this.

Hogni,

MoltenTiger

So my blue hopper...
Just filled it up with fresh herb and a battery - straight to blue no heat again.

I emptied it, and tried it again. Whilst it did go straight to blue, there did appear to be some minor heat given off by the heater. With a full chamber, the thermal mass would easily prevent detecting this.
So the hopper is working somewhat normally, though it thinks it's running ~200 deg c hotter than it is.

Blowing down the chamber for a split second, and restarting the device got it working again.
I think this solution is as risky as an IPA wash, though the risk there is the solvent could push the residue further into the device.

It could of course simply be a dodgy component (sensor) or connection in the device, I'll probably have to send it back to HL

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
I fly with my grasshopper internationally it's totally fine, be sure it's your friends carry-on

End of the month a friend of mine wants to bring me along some vape items from the US.
Here in Germany GHBs are much than twice so expansive as in the US. So I want to get some from the US being bringed along by my friend.
Does anyones know whether there are any probs with transport them overseas by plane from the US? I have read something like this.

biohacker

It seems like air restriction with this body is much less, more or less no restriction... did someone else experience this with new hopper or hopper body... or is it just imagination of me... because I used an other vape while waiting for my gh....

Yep, reported this when I received my newer gen GH's. I notice an increase in airflow with the newer bodies too. You really need to slow your draw down in comparison to my OG's.

also it seems like my gh needs longer to get to temp. ...

Yep, also noticed this on my newer ones...seems like a few seconds longer, but i've never timed it.

It could of course simply be a dodgy component (sensor) or connection in the device, I'll probably have to send it back to HL

Did you smack it on the table like I did? I still haven't seen the straight to blue since. But that was my last ditch desperation attempt before I had to send it in. Ironically, it's the only one NOT in RMA presently!

On another note....I have a feeling i'll be chucking some of my batteries soon.....

But my SS continues to kick absolute ass! Tried some 30.8% in it last night (Leafs by Snoop!) and white wall city!

Top Bottom