Discontinued The Grasshopper

MoltenTiger

Merry Christmas FC

Today I got a present from GH, my warranty replacement back-end that I've been waiting ages for. One went missing in transit, and today I finally got the second parcel.

Just blasted a double hopper claisen surprise for Chrissy and let me tell you.. :science:
It's quite nice.
Imagine the full brute force of a hopper, from start to finish and imperishable even to lungs of steel.
Two hoppers is a damn good time.
!

There's a bit of talk of uninspiring performance.
I have certainly experienced this, it is the reason for my warrantied back end.
Having two hoppers is great for troubleshooting, I found that by switching back-ends between units, I could see that the performance was not relative to the body.

The back-end would have seemed normal without comparison, using the hopper directly it was much less noticeable but through glass it was plain as sight although the LEDs seemed to always stutter either way, plus ABV was merely golden at T5.
The other back-end fully depleted the herb, resulting in much darker ABV, even on T4.
Using both hoppers at once, via a clear glass claisen adapter, it was very obvious there was considerable difference in output, a warranty case solved my issue but AusPOST lost it making the postage process take over a month.

Meanwhile I have potentially wrecked my blue Ti after catastrophic cleaning mistakes (not allowing enough drying time most likely, not to mention discolouring my MP with PBW :razz:). And so, for the last good while I have been limited to using my blue Ti back-end with my plain Ti body. Worked well, but it's nice to finally have everything back where it should be (tho the body works, it is temperamental/limited with cop lights - replacement should be here soonish).

Just emptied the chamber of my fully plain Ti for the first time in a while, it was the most perfect darkest brown, the only shade of brown that is not gross. Just the same as from the blue's barrel.
I highly recommend seeking some warranty assistance if your performance is noticeably bad after cleaning and on fresh batteries etc. The only problem in the system is limited to the body or back-end, and getting it fixed is very worthwhile.

1zz712t.jpg

christmas eves and tonights special, fully operational proper silver blue combo.
four tokes four chambers later time is a blur, but that's okay because it's Christmas and now I can finally be blazing like the day was here (36°C) ;P

Mr. Me2

So, is this normal behaviour. Regardless if its on 3 or 5 I click on, 5 secs the the light goes blue but I don't really get an meaningful vapour production until about 15 seconds after. First few pulls I get a bit of taste but not much else.

Also had a moment when the front end wouldn't screw on yesterday, been cleaning the chamber with the crafty cleaning brush so kept going over the threads with the brush and then trying to fit it. Eventually got it back on but with a slight notchy feeling so kept at the threads with the brush and now its OK again. I remember when it was new you could shake the front end and get a rattle which has dissapeared with use, but made me wonder if the front end had been fully screwed together, possibly slightly unwound in transit? This could possibly cause the front end from going on if they used the same threads.

Merry Xmas G hopper gang!
A rattling sound in your mouthpiece is likely a loose screen. You might want to try tightening it with precision tweezers. Best if tried after an ISO soak.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
So, the hopper that I ordered for a Christmas present through the eBay point-of-sale never made it to my house before I left home to visit family for Christmas. The hopper is for my nephew, who currently vapes oil. I hope he even wants a Hopper, but if he doesn't, I'm sure I can sell it. Anyway, I took the box my Hopper came in and wrap that. When we exchange at least I'll have something to pass into his hands and I'll just have to explain that I'll send it to him when I get back home. Such is life.

Just think of it as extending his Christmas. That lucky guy!

Dude, we gotta hang.

Well, if I was going to list a regional location, it would read "Northeast"...

biohacker

So I think my SS GH has died. I added some kief to a bowl and had a very milky tasty session, which I typically rip up in one pull at 5. Ever since, whenever I turn it on it will flash red for 1/2 second, and then instantly go solid blue. According to the resource thread, it's looking like an RMA.

Has anyone had a similar issue? From my limited testing it appears to be the body and temperature sensor. Bummer. Ti GH keeps on living though!

biohacker,

MoltenTiger

So I think my SS GH has died. I added some kief to a bowl and had a very milky tasty session, which I typically rip up in one pull at 5. Ever since, whenever I turn it on it will flash red for 1/2 second, and then instantly go solid blue. According to the resource thread, it's looking like an RMA.

Has anyone had a similar issue? From my limited testing it appears to be the body and temperature sensor. Bummer. Ti GH keeps on living though!
I've had this issue. I made a warranty case where this was said by Caroline
"Hi There,

Typically, the red then off issue is caused by either the Body or Back End. If it is a Back End issue, this is caused by a pin shifting out of place and can be corrected when you press and hold the button down while the red LED is on. If the red LED continues to turn off, it is a Body issue. Please play around with this a bit and swap parts to determine which part needs to be replaced. Press and hold the button all the way down while the red LED is on and see if it turns blue. If not, it seems most likely that your Body is causing this issue. Let me know."

If you include the outcome of this testing in your opening statement of the claim, it should be a one step fix

Edit: Hold up.. Confusion
I've had the near instant blue light failure too. Also got the body replaced, because after some time it started cop lights

Last edited:
After a fresh charge on reception, 3 bowls with charging in between and no charge in between on the fourth, got blinking red lights and then dead on. Hooking up the charger that loops around the clicker (induction?) didn't get any lights.

Switched to my Luc V4 and the battery is showing 2 bars/3.8V, hopefully that's just not enough juice for the GH.

jirodreamsofbooty,
Reactions: Hjalmark

biohacker

Looks like my SS body is dead. Hoping that Hopper Labs sends out a replacement before I have to ship this one back (just using it for charging now). Fingers crossed that the forum member it's registered to hooks me up! Otherwise perhaps i'll be the first person to purchase just a body? If the powers let it be!

I cannot even believe what the output on this thing is with KIEF! I hope I didn't fuck up my body by not wrapping it in cotton but it didn't seem to negatively affect anything (other than the sensor going belly up lol). I have never ever in my life seen vapour so thick, I honestly thought I combusted! And the flavour of that kief bomb was out of this world! I am SO happy I have a Ti as well....I would be really fucking depressed without a functioning hopper!

The only other thing I can think of, is using an ISO wipe towelette inside the oven, and not allowing it to dry long enough? Then again, i've been doing this technique to clean on both hoppers since I received them, and I have not been gentle on either, without an issue until now.

@MoltenTiger was your defective body RMA a SS or Ti? I am getting a much better vibe and feel with the Ti myself.

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
The only other thing I can think of, is using an ISO wipe towelette inside the oven, and not allowing it to dry long enough? Then again, i've been doing this technique to clean on both hoppers since I received them, and I have not been gentle on either, without an issue until now.

Thats probably the culprit, they just did a blog post about it. It's also happened to me, I realize now that using ISO on anything but the mouthpiece isn't really necessary

biohacker

The problem is that the ABV hardens on the oven walls, and it's impossible to get clean with a dry q-tip. However I suppose a dry-run would eliminate it to dust. I just need to pickup some of those precision tips and use it when the oven is still warm.

They just did a blog post about it. But previously advised using an ISO dampened q-tip to clean the oven, so it's their fault :rofl:

I'll be much more careful with my Ti while cleaning, but that blog post and what they have stated could also just be a matter of downplaying their beta product and covering their own ass.

Regardless, I still absolutely adore the GH! Nothing comes even remotely close IMO for my needs. It's perfect!:love:

MoltenTiger

Looks like my SS body is dead. Hoping that Hopper Labs sends out a replacement before I have to ship this one back (just using it for charging now). Fingers crossed that the forum member it's registered to hooks me up! Otherwise perhaps i'll be the first person to purchase just a body? If the powers let it be!

I cannot even believe what the output on this thing is with KIEF! I hope I didn't fuck up my body by not wrapping it in cotton but it didn't seem to negatively affect anything (other than the sensor going belly up lol). I have never ever in my life seen vapour so thick, I honestly thought I combusted! And the flavour of that kief bomb was out of this world! I am SO happy I have a Ti as well....I would be really fucking depressed without a functioning hopper!

@MoltenTiger was your defective body RMA a SS or Ti? I am getting a much better vibe and feel with the Ti myself.
My hoppers are Ti, although it makes no real difference, the innards are all the same; SS chamber, brass heater, PCBs, etc. The Hopper seems to work on some time-based heating algorithm, two hoppers in working order with fully charged batteries will go from red to blue in 5 seconds. If an already used battery is used, this time will increase to allow for less current. If the time is taking longer than this with a battery fresh off the charger, something is amiss internally or with the battery. I assume what's causing most serious trouble is shorts caused by residue from cleaning/vaping.
I might ask HL about kief bombs. I generally just scoop a bit on top of bud. I wonder if back-flow resin has caused faults.

previously advised using an ISO dampened q-tip to clean the oven
It is some-what necessary to iso scrub the walls, and if the device is upside-down and the screen avoided and allowed ample time to dry after using 99.8% IPA from electronic stores (24 hours as stated by HL), it should be fine.

Hurray, just a very dead battery it appears. Upside is that it forced me into finding out that I could charge batteries in the charger I use for 16850s so I can keep a rotation going when I order more batteries.

biohacker

Might be shit out of luck with the RMA since the member no longer seems to visit here. Hoping that HL will sell me just a body, otherwise I suppose i'll at least have a spare back and front end so no big deal. Would be super awesome if HL could sell me a warranty as well lol

I love this vape so much i'm planning to buy more of them. My initial fears about inconsistent performance was simply due to the quality of meds. Now that i've started adding kief, it's like entirely different world. Very smooth and tasty! But achtung! that oil builds up FAST and will be pouring out the front end in no time. Also much prefer the flower/kief mix, as too much kief-only creates an airflow issue. Not impossible, because if you rip hard enough it will milk, but also tire out your lungs.

The GH seals great without the silicone shield in a 14mm joint! Love using it hands free now! This vape continues to change the game for me, even with 1 out of my 2 being out of commission for now. Revolutionary!

subway13029

Might be shit out of luck with the RMA since the member no longer seems to visit here. Hoping that HL will sell me just a body, otherwise I suppose i'll at least have a spare back and front end so no big deal. Would be super awesome if HL could sell me a warranty as well lol

I love this vape so much i'm planning to buy more of them. My initial fears about inconsistent performance was simply due to the quality of meds. Now that i've started adding kief, it's like entirely different world. Very smooth and tasty! But achtung! that oil builds up FAST and will be pouring out the front end in no time. Also much prefer the flower/kief mix, as too much kief-only creates an airflow issue. Not impossible, because if you rip hard enough it will milk, but also tire out your lungs.

The GH seals great without the silicone shield in a 14mm joint! Love using it hands free now! This vape continues to change the game for me, even with 1 out of my 2 being out of commission for now. Revolutionary!
I hope you have good luck with hopper selling you a body. You might need more than luck to get them to sell a warranty..lol..Caroline is a tough cookie. I bought from a member and he has been a great help with my warranty process and I've been fine for months but the hopper isn't my daily driver. Anyways I emailed Caroline and tried to purchase/ or somehow get warranty switched and they absolutely will not bend but she was kind enough to add me to the account to if I have warranty issues the previous owner will submit the claim and hopper has me in the system so when I send the defective pieces in the will ship directly to me and not to of owner then to me..so at least that helps a lot...

AJS

Calm Consistency
New batteries have been kicking total ass for me. Couldn't be happier.

My uncle absolutely loves th GH. He doesn't consume much, but was always a combuster. Every vape of mine has instantly made him appreciate vaping over smoking, but the form factor of the GH and ease of use is extremely appealing to him.

"I fuckin love this one drew holy shit!"
"Yeah you aren't the only one, this vape is a delicacy among the vape world. Don't take this for granted!"

xzYPUyQ.jpg

ArthurJ

Well, I finally see what the big deal is!!
My March pre-order arrived 2 weeks ago and it arrived DOA. A warranty replacement replacement body went out immediately but then was stuck in postal service limbo for over a week with no tracking updates, just sittin in Boulder! I was just about thinking that I'd need to go to the post office and put in a claim of some kind, then, out of the blue, the tracking updated last Thursday and it arrived on Friday!

I got to give it a few uses over the weekend and WOW! It really does hit hard and fast. I like to start at 3.5 and jump to 4 on the dial to finish the bowl.
I'm wary of 5, but I'm sure I'll throw caution to the wind soon. It fits well with my mflb orbiter, which is fun and gives me a nice reason to use it.

With the long delay and all the trials and tribulations I've read about here I was set to be disapointed but not at all.
A working hopper is a mighty fine device. I'm happy to be on board and finally I can say that I'm a hoppy camper!!

AntMadeira

Hi, everyone.
I'm new to the world of vaporizers and after some research I narrowed down my options to Grasshopper and Firefly2. Although I'm more inclined to Grasshopper, due to the lifetime warranty, the specs, the price, the design and, most importantly, the people behind it, I would like to hear some opinions about the two of them. Any insight into this new world will be much appreciated.

Mr. Me2

Welcome @AntMadeira ! I don't have the ff2, but do have a gh and ff1.

To put things in perspective, my ff1 has been retired for quite a while. That's because I found it too finicky to use. But when everything was aligned just right, it was the best. I've read here that some of those issues were resolved in the ff2, but it still requires some technique.

When it comes to flavor, the ff2 wins.

Maintenance is pretty simple on both.

The ff2 has had some issues (too), but seems more reliable than the gh.

Gh has great customer service. I can't speak to the present quality of the ff cs.

Having said all that, I LOVE my gh and highly recommend it. It really is best as a solo vape rather than for sharing, so that may impact your decision. And as a price comparison, there is none...

JoeMama

Hope everyone had a vaping good Holiday!

I received today the SS Hopper that arrived late for a Xmas gift. I opened it to make sure it was in good condition, and it was, and worked fine.

Of special note is the incredible improvement to the backend temp dial FEEL. Last week I rece Bed microwave replacement Ti backend and posted that the backend was amazingly smooth to turn, and now with this new SS it is exactly the same.

The backend on my raw Ti is gritty and sticky, regardless of how much I machine-gun it back and forth.
I kinda now wish it WOULD fail so I'd get a new backend. I mean, it feels like glass gliding on glass when I turn the dials on them.

Hi, everyone.
I'm new to the world of vaporizers and after some research I narrowed down my options to Grasshopper and Firefly2. Although I'm more inclined to Grasshopper, due to the lifetime warranty, the specs, the price, the design and, most importantly, the people behind it, I would like to hear some opinions about the two of them. Any insight into this new world will be much appreciated.

Welcome, AntMadeira, and welcome to vaping, too!

I began vaping about 4 years ago, and had never enjoyed the effects of combusting so I'd hardly ever indulged before that. I first experienced vaping with a Volcano, and I was blown away by the difference.

Like @Mr. Me2 , I highly recommend the Hopper. The first vape I owned was the Pax, then the Pax2, and they are great vapes, IMO. But I had anticipated the Hopper with the justified expectation that it would exceed the experience of the Pax because it uses Convection versus Conduction.

I'm cautiously optimistic that reports of haphazard failures may be slowing... so, I'd dive right in, and, as you've rightly stated, the Lifetime Warranty will ultimately keep your Hopper working for a long time indeed.

ArthurJ

@AntMadeira I've had my ff2 since the spring, it's a fine device, it falls in and out of rotation for me but I'm I have it. I have had issues with it, mostly the app synching with phone, but that cleared up a while back and it's been very reliable for me. I was a fan of the ff1 and I haven't used it since I got the 2. It's tasty and versatile. I tend to use it more indoors than as a portable. I don't like to reload it if I'm out and about and I think it looks oddly conspicuous, like an odd pipe. But around the house it's really nice.

The GH I've had since Friday. I am very impressed with it. I think I just used it for about the 4th time. It really packs a wallop. I don't think the firefly hits as hard and fast. I think it's pretty unique.

I'd worry about the reliability of the GH.
Mine arrived with a defective body, but the CS was indeed outstanding and they immediately sent out a replacement body and I'm really impressed with it as a working device. But they've had issues, as you've no doubt read here.
So I wonder if warranty returns will a regular thing or not. If that puts you out of commission is a pain or not.

I don't think I'll use the hopper as a portable. The front end does run hot and I'd feel like reloading it when out.
But for a short walk, maybe, I'm gonna try that this week. But I think I like this one around the house, especially through glass.

But really, who are we fooling, somehow you'll wind up with both someday!

MoltenTiger

The GH seals great without the silicone shield in a 14mm joint!
I tested scratching potential on an anodised unit, direct contact with a glass joint easily takes away the colour and can even scratch the plain Ti. I also found the seal isn't 100% effective, if you use a glass adapter and just the mouthpiece, plugging a finger over the back of the mouthpiece whilst inhaling through the adapter, air easily breaches around the MP into the joint.
I find the best cloud density is achieved with the silicone sealing the joint 100%, but it still works decently directly. I use a male 18mm joint with a glass dome and silicone MP for easy hands free usage.

Oh if I could only have one of each colour
I would love to just see all the colours, the bronze and blue both look so much better in person than in pics, owning the whole set would be the best kind of overkill haha

biohacker

I would love to just see all the colours, the bronze and blue both look so much better in person than in pics, owning the whole set would be the best kind of overkill haha

Don't tempt me! :rofl:

Thanks for the heads up on the scratching/anodizing! I have reverted back to the silicone although I do plan a claisen purchase asap, to get those hoppers double barreling!

DreamHaze

Psychonaughty
Damn... i wanted an Arizer Air, and i forgot the Grasshopper existed until i saw it had removable batteries and isn't that much far off from the normal Air price going around.
hmmm....
I want portability forsure, but i also want tasty vapour and max efficiency.
I figure either get this and 4 extra batteries with a nitecore d2
OR
Get an Air with 3 extra batteries, a nitecore d2, a pack of stems and screens.

Mr. Me2

Damn... i wanted an Arizer Air, and i forgot the Grasshopper existed until i saw it had removable batteries and isn't that much far off from the normal Air price going around.
hmmm....
I want portability forsure, but i also want tasty vapour and max efficiency.
I figure either get this and 4 extra batteries with a nitecore d2
OR
Get an Air with 3 extra batteries, a nitecore d2, a pack of stems and screens.
I can't speak to the air (haven't tried it), but LOVE my gh. It's super efficient; a great vape for solo use

Top Bottom