Discontinued The Grasshopper

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
OK, so I've had my first session with my new hopper. Here's how it went:

I loaded it up, clicked it on, counted to 5, sucked for 5 seconds, clicked off, and sucked for another 5 seconds.

Suddenly, I noticed 2 unicorns frolicking on our front lawn. :whoa:

I heard a host of angels singing a stunning a cappella version of Blind Faith's "Can't Find My Way Home." :whoa::whoa:

Then my wife came in the room to find me still holding the hopper. She looked me up and down and said "My man, you have never looked so sexy. Meet me upstairs when you're done with that thing." :brow:;)

Next I heard a noise outside. I put down the hopper and went to investigate. A Tesla Model S appeared in my driveway with a note card under the driver side wiper: "Welcome to the club. Text me if you want to hang. Elon." :cool:

I came back inside and naturally, I wanted to see what would happen with a second hit, so I picked up the hopper, clicked the clicker and took another hit.

Nothing.:o:ugh::huh::cry:

No heat, no lights, no vapor. OMFG I can't believe it. :rant::cuss::rant:After nearly a year of agonizing waiting my hopper died after one hit. :disgust: Not only that, I happened to look in the mirror and MY TONGUE IS BLUE. Not only did this fracking thing stop working after one hit, IT MADE MY FRACKING TONGUE BL - …oh, wait a minute. Um, never mind. It would appear that I was so heavily hoppered that I picked up the wrong device and sucked really hard on a ball point pen.

Maybe we should add that to the Fixes thread: If your tongue turns blue when using your hopper, you're not using your hopper. You've got the wrong pen. :D

Ok, so it's entirely possible I made some of that up.:p

Here's what really happened:

Finally, a little over 10 months after I ordered them, my hoppers arrived this past Wednesday. Because I procrastinated on ordering support supplies, my Blu Tack (and a nice little storage case) didn't arrive until the following day. I placed my order with Ratchett for some battery sleeves, battery caps, mini funnel, and spiral stand and will hopefully see those before too long.

I received an SS, a plain Ti, and 5 GHB2 batteries. Like everyone else, the leather sleeve I ordered is back ordered.

First thing I did was weep with joy while stroking and fondling my hoppers. Then I clicked each one on to see it reach red light status in 4-5 seconds. Then I tried unscrewing and reattaching each end of each device. The SS threads were fine, with the slightest resistance at the end of each reattachment. The Ti threads were very rough. Definitely in need of cleaning.

Like so many others, I was surprised at how small the hopper is. It definitely looks bigger in pictures. My Ti is noticeably lighter that the SS, but the SS isn't exactly a boat anchor. Bottom line: It's a drop-dead sexy piece of kit.

The next day, armed with newly arrived Blu Tack and some iso, I sat down to clean the SS. (Decided to try them out alphabetically.) The BT came away from the threads with some grey lines but nothing startling. I followed that with an iso-dipped precision swab on threads and a quick swab of the chamber and I left it all to dry for a while. Afterwards, the mouthpiece threading is buttery smooth. No problems on the clicker end but given the pressure caused by contact with the battery, I don't see that end ever screwing as smoothly.

I didn't bother with a burn-off. I just broke off a small piece of a bud and dropped it in the chamber, filling it a little more than 3/4. I set the temp dial to 3.5, clicked the button and 5 seconds later took my first draw. (For each draw, I'm pulling for 5-6 seconds, clicking off, and pulling for another 5-6 seconds.) First impressions:

The taste in those first hits is AMAZING. Best of any vape I've used since my Vapor Brothers. Maybe even better than that.

Hitting natively, the vapor is indeed very hot. I've never felt anything like it. A very concentrated intense stream of hot air. But here’s the thing: It's hot but not harsh, if that makes sense. I can feel the hot stream of air on my tongue, but if I shift the direction of the hopper in my mouth the problem disappears. But without that first contact on the skin, the vapor is not harsh. It feels less harsh than what I've gotten off my convection vapes. With the silicon mouthpiece, the hopper itself was not too hot for my lips.

I definitely was getting some clouds but they were pretty thin and wispy. Can't tell you how many hits I took but when I emptied the chamber half the nugget was dark brown and half was barely touched. It was immediately apparent that I would need to do some technique tweaking to optimize the experience.

Last night I started that tweaking. First thing, I took a glass stem from a disassembled miVape mouthpiece (think slightly shorter MFLB stem) and inserted it into the hopper's silicon mouthpiece. Second, this time I hand ground my herb. Just broke it up with my fingers to a medium/large consistency and loaded the chamber 3/4 full - nice and fluffed. Click on; 5 seconds later, first hit.

SWEET BISCUITS AND GRAVY !!!!!!!! What a difference a "grind" makes. Nice satisfying clouds with a kick like a mule. The glass stem definitely cools things off and provides some nice feedback. The stem starts to heat up, telling me to click off and finish my draw. With a longer piece, through tubing, or through water, heat will NOT be a problem for me. And even natively, it's very manageable and a totally worth it trade-off for the hopper's quickness, stealthiness, and mule-kick hits.

And because it's convection, I could take two hits, watch a TV show with my wife, take another 2 hits, watch another show myself, take one more hit before bed, and empty a chamber of nicely, evenly browned ABV. This thing is gonna be a godsend for pain-relieving micro-dosing.

BTW, my back end has stayed totally cool through both these sessions. I'm still on my first battery although my blue lights are starting to flicker. At this point it's been 8 or nine hits over two sessions.

Clearly, I have more learning and technique refining to do :science:, but at this point I am totally happy with my new little buddy.

I'm sure I'll have more to share and questions galore as my hoppers and I get to know each other.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
what is wrong with this hopper ?

When pressed, the red lights come on and disappear again.
No blue, no heat
Defective body, most likely. Hold the clicker down and see if it still turns off, or if the light goes blue. If the light goes blue while holding it down it means it's the clicker that's broken. This is the test they'll ask you to do when you submit your warranty request

I just made a claim on same light pattern. Click on, light red for a second or two, then off. No heat. When I described this in the claim, I added that the same thing happened when I placed a known working Back end on the misbehaving body, still red to off, quickly.
Sorry I don't remember what happened when I held the clicker down, but I do know it did not go blue, ever. I was not asked to do this test, likely because of the self diagnosis via second hopper backend.
I got response next day that a new body would be shipped out to me soon, then I am to return the old one.

There's a flow chart about light patterns on the HL website, or you can see it on the Grasshopper Fixes thread.

Last edited:

Mr.Sifter

Defective body, most likely. Hold the clicker down and see if it still turns off, or if the light goes blue. If the light goes blue while holding it down it means it's the clicker that's broken. This is the test they'll ask you to do when you submit your warranty request

I did this tesk and held the clicker down.
still no blue lights. no heat

contacted hopperlabs

lets hope for a quick service

Mr.Sifter,
Reactions: Kalessin

MoltenTiger

My unit did this a while ago, it didn't recover and HL replaced it.
Tell them it happens even when you hold the button down for 10+ seconds.
That should get them sending a replacement to you asap

Haha what a rollercoaster of a post :)
I think you will very much enjoy your first "kief coaster" experience

CapitalFlower

New GH, any tips or mods before I use it for the first time?

Also I've got an XSTAR charger but not really confident in using it. Been charging some AA batteries with it. I can put them in one minute and it will say one voltage, then I'll put them in another minute and it'll say a different voltage... no consistency.
If I charge a battery until it says it's done, I can then put that battery back into the charger and it'll charge it some more...

CapitalFlower,

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
This thing is gonna be a godsend for pain-relieving micro-dosing.
Nice report, @moondog! :tup:

You had me going until the Tesla, that's when it became unbelievable lol.

I've been looking forward to hearing your opinion. I'm glad that it's living up to your expectations. I agree that it is a godsend for microdosing pain management.

When I'm using my Grasshoppers outside of the house that's their primary purpose. I get my pain under control as much as possible before leaving, and then I top off with a hit or two at a time. One hit can last me an hour or two under the best circumstances.

Using it this way just so happens to minimize the drawbacks. Taking one hit at a time prevents it from becoming too hot to use. The battery life isn't an issue when used like this. One battery could potentially keep me going all day under the best circumstances. I average about 10 hits per battery, so I could potentially be good for 10 hours before needing to change my batteries.

JoeMama

Does anybody use ISO on a q-tip (precision or otherwise) to clean their gh oven?

Just to weigh in here... yep, I do what @vapeOR says above in his post
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-grasshopper.18482/page-517#post-1040803

And also do a burn off if I want to use it right away.

I loaded it up, clicked it on, counted to 5, sucked for 5 seconds, clicked off, and sucked for another 5 seconds.

Suddenly, I noticed 2 unicorns frolicking on our front lawn. :whoa:

I heard a host of angels singing a stunning a cappella version of Blind Faith's "Can't Find My Way Home." :whoa::whoa:

Then my wife came in the room to find me still holding the hopper. She looked me up and down and said "My man, you have never looked so sexy. Meet me upstairs when you're done with that thing." :brow:;)

Next I heard a noise outside. I put down the hopper and went to investigate. A Tesla Model S appeared in my driveway with a note card under the driver side wiper: "Welcome to the club. Text me if you want to hang. Elon." :cool:

I came back inside and naturally, I wanted to see what would happen with a second hit, so I picked up the hopper, clicked the clicker and took another hit.

Nothing.:o:ugh::huh::cry:

No heat, no lights, no vapor. OMFG I can't believe it. :rant::cuss::rant:After nearly a year of agonizing waiting my hopper died after one hit. :disgust: Not only that, I happened to look in the mirror and MY TONGUE IS BLUE. Not only did this fracking thing stop working after one hit, IT MADE MY FRACKING TONGUE BL - …oh, wait a minute. Um, never mind. It would appear that I was so heavily hoppered that I picked up the wrong device and sucked really hard on a ball point pen.

Maybe we should add that to the Fixes thread: If your tongue turns blue when using your hopper, you're not using your hopper. You've got the wrong pen. :D

Ok, so it's entirely possible I made some of that up.:p

Here's what really happened:

Finally, a little over 10 months after I ordered them, my hoppers arrived this past Wednesday. Because I procrastinated on ordering support supplies, my Blu Tack (and a nice little storage case) didn't arrive until the following day. I placed my order with Ratchett for some battery sleeves, battery caps, mini funnel, and spiral stand and will hopefully see those before too long.

I received an SS, a plain Ti, and 5 GHB2 batteries. Like everyone else, the leather sleeve I ordered is back ordered.

First thing I did was weep with joy while stroking and fondling my hoppers. Then I clicked each one on to see it reach red light status in 4-5 seconds. Then I tried unscrewing and reattaching each end of each device. The SS threads were fine, with the slightest resistance at the end of each reattachment. The Ti threads were very rough. Definitely in need of cleaning.

Like so many others, I was surprised at how small the hopper is. It definitely looks bigger in pictures. My Ti is noticeably lighter that the SS, but the SS isn't exactly a boat anchor. Bottom line: It's a drop-dead sexy piece of kit.

The next day, armed with newly arrived Blu Tack and some iso, I sat down to clean the SS. (Decided to try them out alphabetically.) The BT came away from the threads with some grey lines but nothing startling. I followed that with an iso-dipped precision swab on threads and a quick swab of the chamber and I left it all to dry for a while. Afterwards, the mouthpiece threading is buttery smooth. No problems on the clicker end but given the pressure caused by contact with the battery, I don't see that end ever screwing as smoothly.

I didn't bother with a burn-off. I just broke off a small piece of a bud and dropped it in the chamber, filling it a little more than 3/4. I set the temp dial to 3.5, clicked the button and 5 seconds later took my first draw. (For each draw, I'm pulling for 5-6 seconds, clicking off, and pulling for another 5-6 seconds.) First impressions:

The taste in those first hits is AMAZING. Best of any vape I've used since my Vapor Brothers. Maybe even better than that.

Hitting natively, the vapor is indeed very hot. I've never felt anything like it. A very concentrated intense stream of hot air. But here’s the thing: It's hot but not harsh, if that makes sense. I can feel the hot stream of air on my tongue, but if I shift the direction of the hopper in my mouth the problem disappears. But without that first contact on the skin, the vapor is not harsh. It feels less harsh than what I've gotten off my convection vapes. With the silicon mouthpiece, the hopper itself was not too hot for my lips.

I definitely was getting some clouds but they were pretty thin and wispy. Can't tell you how many hits I took but when I emptied the chamber half the nugget was dark brown and half was barely touched. It was immediately apparent that I would need to do some technique tweaking to optimize the experience.

Last night I started that tweaking. First thing, I took a glass stem from a disassembled miVape mouthpiece (think slightly shorter MFLB stem) and inserted it into the hopper's silicon mouthpiece. Second, this time I hand ground my herb. Just broke it up with my fingers to a medium/large consistency and loaded the chamber 3/4 full - nice and fluffed. Click on; 5 seconds later, first hit.

SWEET BISCUITS AND GRAVY !!!!!!!! What a difference a "grind" makes. Nice satisfying clouds with a kick like a mule. The glass stem definitely cools things off and provides some nice feedback. The stem starts to heat up, telling me to click off and finish my draw. With a longer piece, through tubing, or through water, heat will NOT be a problem for me. And even natively, it's very manageable and a totally worth it trade-off for the hopper's quickness, stealthiness, and mule-kick hits.

And because it's convection, I could take two hits, watch a TV show with my wife, take another 2 hits, watch another show myself, take one more hit before bed, and empty a chamber of nicely, evenly browned ABV. This thing is gonna be a godsend for pain-relieving micro-dosing.

BTW, my back end has stayed totally cool through both these sessions. I'm still on my first battery although my blue lights are starting to flicker. At this point it's been 8 or nine hits over two sessions.

Clearly, I have more learning and technique refining to do :science:, but at this point I am totally happy with my new little buddy.

I'm sure I'll have more to share and questions galore as my hoppers and I get to know each other.

Well that was a fun read, Moon!

Sounds like you've hit the ground running and will figure out the best way to use it pretty quickly.
FWIW, I didn't like the results when I just put a bud in there... exactly what you experienced, the heat doesn't penetrate the bud enough to toast it evenly, so I just use fairly fine and quite dry herb. Have had very consistent results and it's taken a lot of guess work out.

CapitalFlower

Thanks. But theres nothing on there to suggest what to do when you have a brand new hopper.

Is the charger safe to use or will it kill the GH?

CapitalFlower,

Mr. Me2

Thanks. But theres nothing on there to suggest what to do when you have a brand new hopper.

Is the charger safe to use or will it kill the GH?
The gh charger is safe to use, but most of us prefer an external charger. Personal preference, I guess.

There were some reports of early defective gh chargers, but ghl went through an update for this part.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
New GH, any tips or mods before I use it for the first time?

Also I've got an XSTAR charger but not really confident in using it. Been charging some AA batteries with it. I can put them in one minute and it will say one voltage, then I'll put them in another minute and it'll say a different voltage... no consistency.
If I charge a battery until it says it's done, I can then put that battery back into the charger and it'll charge it some more...
I see @Mr. Me2 has rung in ahead of me! :wave:
But I'd written most of this already, so I'm gonna post it...

It seems to me that if you are not confident in that external charger you should not use it.
The Hopper charger will not ruin anything. People do use them. I have taken to using it recently when convenient. Using an external will sometimes allow you to charge at a slower rate and this can lengthen battery's useful life. Many have this concern: in general, battery 'explosion' can happen more often while charging, so why take a chance on ruining the hopper when you can charge externally?

I think there have been issues with charger working/not working in the past, but a change was made a few months ago, then another version came out with new connector on it (mine is the old style, works fine).

I'm using 7 batteries for two hoppers/people and a Nitecore D-2. It has no problem keeping up with us, but sometimes I wish I had a 4 batt. charger; less frequent visits to it.

Best tip is, get started with the grand experiment immediately! Well.... medium grind, fluffy pack...and a well charged battery!

Mr. Me2

To continue with the "which charger to use" exchange, I'll add a recent experience.

To charge my batteries, I always use a Nightcore d2 charger. I recently noticed a tear in the cover of one of my batteries at the top near the nipple of the battery. I threw it out, ordered a couple replacements, and emailed Caroline at ghl.

She agreed with tossing the torn battery (was actually pretty emphatic) and said that the battery cover could be cut from the edge of the battery chamber when inserting it in the hopper (my description here, not a quote from her). I've also noticed the risk of catching the battery cover in the Nightcore charger when inserting or removing the battery.

So from this I've learned to be VERY careful when handling my batteries. And I can see that using the ghl charger eliminates this risk. Even so, I don't plan to switch from using my Nightcore.

moondog

I've also noticed the risk of catching the battery cover in the Nightcore charger when inserting or removing the battery.

So from this I've learned to be VERY careful when handling my batteries. And I can see that using the ghl charger eliminates this risk. Even so, I don't plan to switch from using my Nightcore.

My understanding is that Ratchett's battery sleeves can help prevent battery cover damage while using an external charger. I've got a couple on the way and can report back when I have real world experience.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My d-2 has pretty smooth edges, even on the metal contacts. I'm not having any trouble putting batteries in/out, though I can see in some cases the sleeves would aid in the process.
By contrast, when I first got them I was impressed immediately by the Hoppers' crisp edges. Not quite sharp, but very near. Very crisp, I'll say. Slightly more so on the Ti over the SS. So I agree care should be taken when swapping batteries. This kind of surface is clearly intentional; unfinished machine cut would be sharp. In any design/execution decisions are constantly made about what the product will look and feel like, and in Hopper's case, care about these decisions is obvious. So, they like crisp, and I happen to like it, too. I try to imagine it 'wearing' in...
One other point maybe in favor of in-hopper charging is less thread wear.

MoltenTiger

My understanding is that Ratchett's battery sleeves can help prevent battery cover damage while using an external charger. I've got a couple on the way and can report back when I have real world experience.
I think they're more for using batteries in 18650 sized chargers, with an external charger it's best to stretch the spring contact all the way by hand before inserting the battery. This will be the same with or without the sleeves. The sleeves will make it fit better, but the main risk is slipping when pushing the sprung contact back with the battery itself.

But theres nothing on there to suggest what to do when you have a brand new hopper.
But a brand new hopper shouldn't need fixing?

Vapor Loop

When pressed, the red lights come on and disappear again.
No blue, no heat

My Hopper would do this some of the time, It would also have no response at all no matter how much clicked till i removed battery and put it back in, And even more rare it would heat up and work for a couple draws. I also noticed the weakened lights was not only from batteries.

I decided to go ahead and get a Firewood 4 instead of a second Hopper it will be here Halloween, And i got my replacement Hopper body yesterday, So perfect timing because the Hopper is the only i can hit native with this years costume selection. :nod:

moondog

So here's a question for all you Doob Tubin' hoppers:

I definitely want to get some for filling my hoppers on the go but I'm wondering - glass or plastic?

It seems like the plastic, while being less prone to breaking, would be more prone to static electricity which would make it harder to get ground material out of the tube.

Any real world experience or scientifically-based elucidation would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom