Discontinued The Grasshopper

Bass Vaper

I don't know what kind of companies people are used to dealing with to say that Hopper Labs isn't that bad, or that you've experienced much worse. Eeks. No worries, different tokes for different folks. Agree to disagree. I guess I am lucky after all

I've only really used the four batteries that came in the units. The extras haven't been used or put in the devices since my recent issues. Would they be dead just sitting in the box since May? This is what makes me think that either the chargers are bad or the hot back ends are playing a part.

Edit: Forgot, Hopper Labs asked me to send all 4 units, all 4 chargers, and all 8 batteries back so they could troubleshoot everything.

UnshavenFish

I've only really used the four batteries that came in the units. The extras haven't been used or put in the devices since my recent issues. Would they be dead just sitting in the box since May? This is what makes me think that either the chargers are bad or the hot back ends are playing a part.

HL send out the batteries fully charged which for storage is about the worst thing to do, half a year fully charged could kill a big chuck of capacity and we don't have a lot to start with (temp will determine how much, closer to 0°c it could be around 15% but as the temp goes up it could be as much as 75%)

This is the problem I have when they sell to retailers like vapefiend as they could be sat a while before reaching the customer by the time customs have hung onto them, luckily they sell fast so at most should only be sat fully charged for maybe a month before reaching the end customer.

UnshavenFish

Isn't it illegal to mail charged batteries?

It's been a while since I looked it up but from memory it's not so much about charge level, sent by air is not allowed (unless inside a device I think) that's why it's normally quicker/easier to order Li-ion cells from your own country, but with a full charge the cell is stressed so it's not going to help.

UnshavenFish,

Purple Lava Lamp

Well, the honeymoon phase didn't last long...

My brand new hopper will no longer charge, after only 3 days of light use. Battery is dead, and when I pop the charging ring on, it blinks red once, then nothing.

I don't have an external charger yet (though one is en route from Amazon) and I don't have an extra battery to try either.

I've tried all the suggestions I could find here on FC, removed the battery, cleaned all contact points with ISO, tried several different USB power sources, switched up the sequence/order in which I plug things in, etc, etc, etc. Nothing works.

Pretty bummed... this thing is fresh out of the box and both the hopper and it's charging cable have been handled very gingerly during its first 3 days of use. :uhoh:

Last edited:
Purple Lava Lamp,
Reactions: MoltenTiger

AJS

Calm Consistency
Gunna keep this short.

Airflow was really bad, didn't know if it was in my head or not.

Always keep my unit clean and spotless. Decided to soak mouthpiece in ISO.

Rinsed with hot water. Didn't work.

Screen looked perfect, so what's the deal.

I stick a rolled up piece of receipt paper down the tip of the mouthpiece and pull out a ball of sludge, resin, fibers, and whatever else accumulated into that ball of ick.

Airflow is better than I knew the grasshopper could have.

K

MoltenTiger

Well, the honeymoon phase didn't last long...

My brand new hopper will no longer charge, after only 3 days of light use. Battery is dead, and when I pop the charging ring on, it blinks red once, then nothing.

I don't have an external charger yet (though one is en route from Amazon) and I don't have an extra battery to try either.

I've tried all the suggestions I could find here on FC, removed the battery, cleaned all contact points with ISO, tried several different USB power sources, switched up the sequence/order in which I plug things in, etc, etc, etc. Nothing works.

Pretty bummed... this thing is fresh out of the box and both the hopper and it's charging cable have been handled very gingerly during its first 3 days of use. :uhoh:
Damn, did you have the newer version of the charger?

That happened to me, I went out and bought an external charger, and after finding the vape itself was fine claimed for warranty and HL sent me a new charger.

CapitalFlower

I don't think im gonna risk using the HL charger. Will stick to xstar. Will it automatically register the battery chemistry and capacity and charge it accordingly? (my charger didn't come with instructions)

Also what type of batteries are they? I know with lithium polymer batteries you have to store them ah a certain voltage

CapitalFlower,
Reactions: Vapor_Eyes

Purple Lava Lamp

Damn, did you have the newer version of the charger?
I'm not sure... this GH came from Vape Fiend. It had only one battery– a GHB1 (I think GHL has been including an extra battery free of charge lately, right?)

How do I determine if I have the newer or older charger?

Purple Lava Lamp,

MoltenTiger

I don't think im gonna risk using the HL charger.
I don't think it's a risk to the device in any way. The only potential is finding the charger is faulty, but even still it shouldn't damage the device.
As far as I can tell, using the included charger doesn't effect device health, and anyone saying so is purely speculating.
There is possibility* that ripping the charger and unit apart could put undue stress on components, which could lead to a hot back end... but that would be addressed via warranty

*My two back-ends are conflicting evidence that this is the case. I have one that is about to be warranty replaced, and another that is flawless. Both have seen about the same amount of included charger usage. The performance difference is notable (hence warranty) and I would guess that a lot of people with a single hopper and nothing to compare with have similar issues with inconsistencies in extraction, cloud production, battery life-span and heat. The key factor is the inconsistant nature, my flawless back-end is consistent. Battery level causes some inconsistency in performance too, but if a hopper is functioning randomly, something is wrong. The included charger won't cause your hopper to perform randomly, there isn't any good reason to avoid using it

I'm not sure... this GH came from Vape Fiend. It had only one battery– a GHB1 (I think GHL has been including am extra battery free of charge lately, right?)

How do I determine if I have the newer or older charger?

If it has two cables connected to the ring it is the older version, the newer version has a single cable and a pivoting connection

Last edited:

Purple Lava Lamp

If it has two cables connected to the ring it is the older version, the newer version has a single cable and a pivoting connection
I guess I have the older one...

I guess I'll wait until my Xtar charger arrives just to make sure the battery is OK, and then file a warranty claim.
In the meantime, no vapor for me :( Back to combustion, reluctantly

Ugh... I JUST got this thing, and it's already unusable :cuss:

Purple Lava Lamp,
Reactions: MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger

I guess I have the older one...

I guess I'll wait until my Xtar charger arrives just to make sure the battery is OK, and then file a warranty claim.
In the meantime, no vapor for me :( Back to combustion, reluctantly

Ugh... I JUST got this thing, and it's already unusable :cuss:
I guess that too, considering Vapefiends stock and the GHB1 battery included.
At the end of the day, at least you get to upgrade to the new model? :shrug:
Though I can assure you the Xtar will get the heavier workout, they are a good charger.

If you have any 18650 battery charger, it might work in the mean time.

Hopefully your Xtar arrives soon.

And fair warning to anyone relying on the included charger; be prepared. It's not nice feeling the immediate redundancy of the GH

UnshavenFish

I don't think im gonna risk using the HL charger. Will stick to xstar. Will it automatically register the battery chemistry and capacity and charge it accordingly? (my charger didn't come with instructions)

Also what type of batteries are they? I know with lithium polymer batteries you have to store them ah a certain voltage

The charger won't recognise the chemistry as such but it will know the voltage and from that it will know how to charge it, and capacity doesn't matter again it's the voltage, Li-ion will end charge at 4.2v (some chargers offer other values) and standard AA,AAA will end charge at 1.5v.

For storing it depends on how long you won't use them, around 3.7/3.8v (also happens to be when the hopper shows red empty lights) is ideal for long term, but if used regular it doesn't matter so much, main things to avoid is a full charge for extended time and heat.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Forgot to add ... And speaking of batteries ...
Mine barely last me a chamber now. Not long ago they easily could, and could almost do 2...their charge dropped off sooo fast lol.

I'm willing to buy more but I wanna get the new batteries if they're coming around soon /:

UnshavenFish

Just to continue the battery/chamber thing a little...

I got my GH in April used it for 2 month daily then very rarely until getting my replacement body at the start of this month so I would say around 3 month daily usage, I can get 5/6 bowls from a battery (finishing a bowl in 1 or 2 (mostly 2) hits) and get through 5/6 batteries a day so each of my 3 batteries will have had roughly 180 cycles all charged at 1A and they are still performing like new with minimal noted capacity loss.

I will keep charging at 1A and report back when I notice any change or they die.

JoeMama

HL send out the batteries fully charged which for storage is about the worst thing to do, half a year fully charged could kill a big chuck of capacity and we don't have a lot to start with (temp will determine how much, closer to 0°c it could be around 15% but as the temp goes up it could be as much as 75%)

This is the problem I have when they sell to retailers like vapefiend as they could be sat a while before reaching the customer by the time customs have hung onto them, luckily they sell fast so at most should only be sat fully charged for maybe a month before reaching the end customer.

That's helpful info, thanks... I have a total of 10 batteries for 2 hoppers, too many now that I realize that GHL isn't going anywhere...

I've only only been using 5 for rotation, and haven't touched the other 5. I now intend to run those newer ones down to 3.7V and then go back to the others. Then hopefully those newer ones will keep longer.

Icon13

Serial Vapist

This is completely untrue. There is nothing wrong with sending out fully charged Li-ion batteries for storage purposes. It has no adverse effect on the cell's capacity. I used to work for a battery manufacturer and have sold thousands of batteries. Sending out fully charged Li-ion cells is not uncommon. Where do you get your info? As a matter of fact, one advantage of lithium is the fact that fully charged cells can be stored for long periods of time due to their very low self discharge rate.

And, the capacity of Li-ion degrades as charge cycles increase. Li-ion battery capacity is also affected by high stress, like high discharge rate or temperature fluxuations.

Please take note that I am only discussing Li-ion.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Does anybody use ISO on a q-tip (precision or otherwise) to clean their gh oven?
btw, I was looking at the owner's manual and along with soaking the mp there's this;

"Wet a cotton swab in the IPA. Insert into the chamber and scrub the sides and bottom using a circular motion. After soaking, remove any remaining debris using a cotton swab. Allow both pieces to dry completely before use."

duff

Well worn
So here's a question for all you Doob Tubin' hoppers:

I definitely want to get some for filling my hoppers on the go but I'm wondering - glass or plastic?
I use plastic and the material can get a bit stuck in there, but a shake usually resolves it.

This frequently happens to me. I find that if I unscrew the back end a bit it usually resolves the issue.

duff,
Reactions: moondog

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Any special brand of IPA? Or just what you prefer to drink?
Good to know that my homebrew seem to be good for the GH too.
GH, you are my brother in taste! ;)
Drinking even small amounts of Isopropyl alcohol can be extremely harmful! It's not the same kind of alcohol that you can drink.

vapviking,
Top Bottom