Discontinued The Grasshopper

Vaporcussion

For anyone interested, there's also a very cheap way to load without spilling, the pack n stash Maybe not as pro, but easy to carry around, and great for filling outdoors in the wind
Here's one with some eye candy, too funny

ChooChooCharlie

@MoltenTiger - Here's a couple comments from my experience with the feeder -- if you feel the cylinder getting stuck after pushing in and trying to twist to lock, it's a bit of longer herb that got half-caught during the inward plunge against the stationary piston. If you force the twist while it's stuck, that herb piece will get ground/squished tight against the rear of the cylinder. Squished particles will not fall out, you have to scrape it out, like stubborn particles in a grinder.

Instead of force twisting, let the spring push out the cylinder just a bit, twist/push in and out a couple mm's to dislodge that troublesome herb particle.

Best ways I've found to avoid this half-caught herb piece problem:
  • Let herb dry before loading in feeder.
  • Don't grind too coarse.
For readers out there on the fence about this feeder, get off that fence and buy it. It's sort of hard to describe the mechanics of this feeder without holding it and playing with it empty. I was initially afraid that the action was "plunging" herb into GH, and feared herb compression in the load. My fears were unfounded. The shaking you do lets the herb fall into the feeder's pre-loading chamber, whose internal dimensions mimic the dimensions of the GH chamber. It's a naturally loose load. Shake less briskly, and less herb will fall in. When you plunge the GH back in, the herb is pushed into the GH chamber by the stationary piston in the feeder body. Nice and fluffy.

Kalessin

For anyone interested, there's also a very cheap way to load without spilling, the pack n stash Maybe not as pro, but easy to carry around, and great for filling outdoors in the wind
Here's one with some eye candy, too funny
I have some of these, but I have abandoned them in favor of doobtubes. The pack'n'stashes look cool, but they don't hold nearly as much as a doobtube, and to hold the maximum you have to compress your herb a lot and then have to deal with breaking that up, cause that rotating press will get it super stuck together. They just ended up being way too much effort for me

tubasco

I have some of these, but I have abandoned them in favor of doobtubes. The pack'n'stashes look cool, but they don't hold nearly as much as a doobtube, and to hold the maximum you have to compress your herb a lot and then have to deal with breaking that up, cause that rotating press will get it super stuck together. They just ended up being way too much effort for me
I still swear by these: https://www.amazon.com/SEOH-Glass-T...ons&keywords=glass+test+tubes+with+caps&psc=1

tubasco

Those look nice, but I feel like I'd inevitably break them
I've only broken one since getting them back in January. But yes, I'm pretty careful with them now.
I also use a few empty Zipfizz containers. I love that they're opaque, and they close so tightly they're smellproof and likely water resistant.
I wish someone would make a Pyrex doob tube!

Purple Lava Lamp

Thx for all of your real world, fact based info, @slcbdco !

This makes me wonder (being new to this forum) has anyone from GH Labs posted here at FC?

I think some of you have referred to a "Trevor" sometimes, I think? Who is Trevor? Did he invent/design the GH?

Just curious

How do you like it? I have one on the way!

Me too! Ordered the feeder and cases a few days ago... but I think they have to come all the way from Israel, might take a couple weeks?

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

This makes me wonder (being new to this forum) has anyone from GH Labs posted here at FC?

I think some of you have referred to a "Trevor" sometimes, I think? Who is Trevor? Did he invent/design the GH?

Just curious
Yup. If I remember right, Trevor is one of the ghl founders and inventors of this great little device.

And I think I remember something about ghl posting during their startup days, but nothing since they really got rolling. But we do have their monthly newsletters...

ZC

Battery is "dying" after a bowl and a half now. Charger reads 3.9v when it will no longer produce vapor.

I use this thing very lightly, not impressed with how quickly these batteries are degrading.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
@Vapor_Eyes how is the new body behaving? Any issue with it, besides the aesthetics?

No issues with it besides aesthetics. Interestingly enough the new body for my SS is almost the exact same shade as the Ti unit, and the same shade as the other SS I've seen in the wild. My old SS body is lighter and shinier. I prefer the darker more matte finish. The new one is so similar to the Ti it's hard to tell the difference by looking at it, except for the mismatched mouthpiece.

If you look at them side by side the Ti has a slight reddish tint and is just a tiny bit darker compared to the SS, but it's barely noticeable. The backend itself on the SS is mismatched too but it doesn't look like it because it's behind the clip which is an entirely different finish and color. That helps hide the difference in finish between the backend and body.

I haven't had any issues, but I have noticed something surprising, the flavor is much improved and matches my Ti now. I have mentioned pretty much from the beginning that my SS had a slightly metallic taste. When I got my Ti and it didn't have the metallic taste I figured it was because of the change in materials. I even posted about this recently, and shortly after that someone posted about a metallic taste with their Ti Grasshopper:

I agree with the above points and will add that I seem to get better, more pure flavor from my Ti. My SS has always had a very subtle metallic taste. Others say that their SS has no metallic taste so it could just be me or my specific devices.

My 2nd Hopper (Dark grey) landed...

And no metallic taste, even on the first bowl I tried without burn off or cleaning the unit before use.
Some might remember I didn't enjoy the taste of the plain Ti I had before. I had some metallic flakes in the air intake and i would guess those caused the weird taste I experienced. It was barely visible when looking with a flash light in the air intake holes. I hope the plain Ti replacement is as good as the current dark grey I got...

It seems that the metallic taste was from the body itself. I've examined both bodies and didn't notice any metallic flakes in the intake. It could be that I just don't know what to look for. Either way, it's great that I'm getting the same flavor from my Ti and SS now.

The Grasshopper doesn't have the longest lasting flavor out there, but it is very pure because of the materials used and the convection heating. Even at temp 4, the first hit or two gives me the pure essence of what my material tastes like.

Sometimes I'll pack my hoppers in advance, often with different strains. Occasionally it's so far in advance that I forget what I packed. I can always tell right away which strain it is using the Grasshopper.

The way I use it the flavor doesn't need to last long. I just use a pinch or two at a time so I can have fresh flavor more often. And I find if I go no higher than 4.2 (;)) it never gets that overly roasted taste that I get at higher temps.

My standard usage is a couple of huge flavorful clouds followed by a cleanup hit. My ABV is fairly light usually but that's okay, I save my ABV anyway, I find it can be very helpful in a medical capacity. So anything leftover will be enjoyed eventually. :tup:

Happy Hopping to whoever has one for the Halloween holiday! :evil:

ChooChooCharlie

pArgQST.jpg

GH tricks & treats earlier tonight.

Treats:
Held GH in hand openly while being frisked. Hey, it's just a pen. Feeder in coat breast pocket was felt by security, along with two batteries, but obviously did not fit the "feel" profile of something nefarious. Was not asked to remove either for show and tell. Great vape, used correctly, but for the first time I noticed the relative brightness of the blue light in the darkened venue.

Tricks:
I screwed up. Didn't figure it out until I got back. I'll never make this mistake again. First set fine, enjoying GH with friends (one wants to buy a GH now). But it was dark in there, and alcohol was involved. Must have been too eager to reload with that fantastic feeder, and didn't empty GH chamber completely. Draws during second set sucked, literally. When I got back home I dug out a well charred puck of ABV stuck in bottom of chamber. Must have done three reloads with the feeder in the dark, never aware of an ABV partial chamber plug, cursing the foul taste, drawing really hard. Now I know. Be sure to remove all of ABV before re-feeding.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I screwed up. Didn't figure it out until I got back. I'll never make this mistake again. First set fine, enjoying GH with friends (one wants to buy a GH now). But it was dark in there, and alcohol was involved. Must have been too eager to reload with that fantastic feeder, and didn't empty GH chamber completely. Draws during second set sucked, literally. When I got back home I dug out a well charred puck of ABV stuck in bottom of chamber. Must have done three reloads with the feeder in the dark, never aware of an ABV partial chamber plug, cursing the foul taste, drawing really hard. Now I know. Be sure to remove all of ABV before re-feeding.
DOH!
I was just thinking that one of my best Hopper accessory purchases has been a box of 750pcs wooden toothpicks for $2.79. Scratch-free, disposable, renewable.
Thanks for all the feedback re: the feeder, it sounds excellent for a variety of situations and that it can be done at all in the dark is very cool.

CapitalFlower

Wait until you see it I can't imagin that you got a special packet which is not marked. Every packet I got from HL was marked in perfect manner yet custom intercepted two. Customs said they do this because they can't be sure that there might be something dangerous in the packet. Here in Germany I pay 3.7€ postage to return a Hopper part, this thing is so small you can send it as regular mail. Well that you have to pay customs goes without saying but still for me the GHVape.com price with taking customs into account is cheaper than ordering from Vapefiend or from a German retailer (-the wait time). Well hopefuly you can enjoy it tho :)

Do you know if GH reimburse return postage if it's faulty? And I wonder if I'd get charged customs again when they send back a return.

CapitalFlower,

vapeOR

Does anybody use ISO on a q-tip (precision or otherwise) to clean their gh oven?

Do you do a burn off after, or do you go straight back to hopping? And do you just ISO the walls of the chamber?

1st I do a quick brush-out of chamber with dry, craft paintbrush -- when I'm tempted to blow into chamber I reach for the brush instead. ;)

I squeeze excess ISO out of Q-tip so it's damp but no drip, then with hopper upright (chamber at bottom) I reach up and swab screen, around walls & the rim.

If I'm gonna load it right away, I might do a burn off. If things have sat around & I can't smell any ISO then I don't bother -- most likely I forgot I even cleaned it. :D

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Do you do a burn off after, or do you go straight back to hopping? And do you just ISO the walls of the chamber?
Since I can now easily get 99.9 % iso locally I don't worry at all about residue. I don't think I'd worry too much about the 91% either, long as it says the only other thing in there is water. So, no burn off. If anything, I'd be inclined to swab with a little water afterwards, but I don't in hopper. If there's any perfumy smell at all I won't use it.
I do also dab the bottom of the chamber very lightly with the (regular) q-tip. I gotta say, the oven does not get very dirty, just a bit sticky. It's nicer when clean, the spent material just falls out...

Shieldsab

Thought I'd be fine with one GH battery. Wake and bake this morning, and the battery died after a hit and a half. :( So just placed an order for 2.
On the positive side, once it's charged, I can be sure it'll get through my planned day of relaxation.
But being able to switch will be better.

Mr.Sifter

what is wrong with this hopper ?

When pressed, the red lights come on and disappear again.
No blue, no heat

Mr.Sifter,

Kalessin

what is wrong with this hopper ?

When pressed, the red lights come on and disappear again.
No blue, no heat
Defective body, most likely. Hold the clicker down and see if it still turns off, or if the light goes blue. If the light goes blue while holding it down it means it's the clicker that's broken. This is the test they'll ask you to do when you submit your warranty request

Top Bottom