Discontinued The Grasshopper

MoltenTiger

how many draws do you get on one battery on lets say 3,5ish ?
Depends on the battery, the age of the battery (amount of use more importantly).
* the biggest thing it depends on is the type and length of the draw*

I remember I tried doing this a while back, I think I got through 6 chambers off one charge, mostly multiple hits but a few single hits that killed the chamber. I'd have to find the post I can barely remember making it or any of the after math. It was over 2 minutes of run time though, which when you're choofing back thick clouds is fairly ample for quite some time.

Overall the battery life is bearable, but with my GHB1's its a big downside, any battery tech is always going to be a downside IMO. However the hopper could be more impressive, and may be eventually or already with the GHB2s

I also basically always attempt to make the biggest clouds, and almost never use it directly.
Direct use is a lot kinder on the batteries, and if you supplement your day with it it works pretty well. If you put it through its paces, it won't hold back and after some solid rips the battery will give up.

I've also had an entire session with a 'flat' battery, where I kept forgetting to replace it but it kept giving me hits about 3/4 size of the biggest possible, so I simply kept forgetting to charge it.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
how many draws do you get on one battery on lets say 3,5ish ?
Definitely more than 2-3 hits per battery (assuming new), more like 2-4 chambers at 4 to 7 hits each when you're at 3.5, but...
Many, many variables.
I can say that, if you vape a lot, you'll be changing batts a lot!

Last night I fantasized this far, then came back to earth:
My household uses 2 hoppers/2 peeps. Mighty plays a role, so it's not just constant hoppin' here.

If I had 8 batteries and a four batt charger, I'd only be dealing with charging process once or twice a day. This has a lot of appeal, cause atm I'm running 7 batts with a Nightcore D-2 and it seems like a lot of motion back and forth to the charger.

At 2-1/2 months in, both hoppers taking a little longer to get to temp, maybe ten seconds to temp 4.5. I assume the batts are heading downhill.

TheWhisper

The ones I see more commonly in head shops do indeed have childish designs on them:

DoobTubesDT-2.jpg

Ah, that's what was being referred to? Those are stickers and they easily peel off, as I've done with all of mine. @Hogni

flyfishwino

I'm guessing that by "load what seems to be a half plus load" you tamped it down somewhat.

I get best results from zero tamping. As in is sprinkle a rough shred into mine, and it ends up not being much at all...barely a small pinch. That's how I get the best results. If you can't get medicated well from that method then I agree: your hopper is malfunctioning.
Tried all types of draw methods, herb dryness, hand shredded vs. a grinder and still not getting anything close to the great experience people are getting.
Any advise on best way to describe the issue on the rma?
I haven't registered the GH yet. Was hoping to run it through the paces to see if I liked it first. If not I would just sell it and buyer would get the warranty.
Now not sure if to get fixed and hope it works as described or just sell it?

Last edited:
flyfishwino,

JoeMama

In fact, it is, Joe.
Well congratulations! All this time I thought you were a happy hopper user! I hope you get it very quickly now that you have your confirmation, and that it works first time and every time you use it. Looking forward to your review!

Tried all types of draw methods, herb dryness, hand shredded vs. a grinder and still not getting anything close to the great experience people are getting.
I haven't registered the GH yet. Was hoping to run it through the paces to see if I liked it first. If not I would just sell it and buyer would get the warranty.
As @tubasco said, just enough to fill the chamber without any tamping at all; just sprinkle in while tapping the side of the chamber. I find this to be most productive for vapor as well as air-flow draw.
And not to sound like a broken record (yeah, I'm over 55), DRY material is key as well.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Well congratulations! All this time I thought you were a happy hopper user! I hope you get it very quickly now that you have your confirmation, and that it works first time and every time you use it. Looking forward to your review!
Thanks for the good wishes! I'll be sure to post my impressions. I figure I'll pass the time until delivery by spending way too much $$ on accessories. I know I'm going to want a water tool. I've been looking at dozens (each time someone mentions one here I'm off on a search) but right now I'm torn between a MF Orbiter and one of those VapExhale HoneyComb pieces. Of course, that could change in a "ooh look, shiny!!" instant.

btka

Thanks for the good wishes! I'll be sure to post my impressions. I figure I'll pass the time until delivery by spending way too much $$ on accessories. I know I'm going to want a water tool. I've been looking at dozens (each time someone mentions one here I'm off on a search) but right now I'm torn between a MF Orbiter and one of those VapExhale HoneyComb pieces. Of course, that could change in a "ooh look, shiny!!" instant.
I can recoomend you the mfl orbiter works great also you have a whip and do not have to bend you always over your bubbler when hitting it and it is also very beautiful also when you not attach the whip nobody pays attention to or thinks that it is a bubbler....

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Is any part of the hopper actually getting hot? That seems like a good starting point, assuming lights go from red to blue and good material, etc. and it gets hot, you should be able to set it at temp 5 and run it through several cycles, drawing, and get some pretty dark abv, plus the mouthpiece and area near the lights will get hotter than you care to touch. I suppose the only operative suggestion I'm offering to your question is that you might tell them it doesn't ever seem to get to good vaping temperature.

I've been using a water piece made from a mason jar with a nice showerhead downstem I got from OregonGlass, and of course I've added a silicone whip. It does work very well (great for sessions with my honey), but now with Hopper use I am really motivated to pick up a direct draw piece -- and that VapeXhale HydraComb looks sweet. It's outside my budget, so I did get a Pinnacle bubbler knockoff for the time being. Been considering the D-020D of course...but for this month, other accessory purchases have won out.

So, I think I'm prepared to vote for the direct draw piece, having never tried one!

This morning has been temp stepping without any water and I'm once again pleasantly surprised by this thing.

Last edited:

moondog

I can recoomend you the mfl orbiter works great also you have a whip and do not have to bend you always over your bubbler when hitting it and it is also very beautiful also when you not attach the whip nobody pays attention to or thinks that it is a bubbler....
Thanks for the input. It confirms many of the things that attracted me to the Orbiter in the first place.

flyfishwino

As @tubasco said, just enough to fill the chamber without any tamping at all; just sprinkle in while tapping the side of the chamber. I find this to be most productive for vapor as well as air-flow draw.
And not to sound like a broken record (yeah, I'm over 55), DRY material is key as well.
I've tried dry herb as well, loose pack. Literally a sprinkle.
I'll try your method again, we'll see,.
Still feel it's not working correctly,
From another old man,

flyfishwino,

tubasco

From another old man,
Can you confirm if your hopper gets hot at all after the lights turn to blue?
It should get HOT at the front end and will likely get warm at the back by the dial. If it's as HOT by the dial as it is by the front, OR the front doesn't get hot at all, you either have a faulty unit or battery.
Do you have a different battery to try?

The warranty request is quick, easy and painless. You should just register it and warranty it. When working it is the only vape I use. Truly a game-changer....ahead of its time even. (Where are the clones?)

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
My buddy just received his hopper and is absolutely loving it. This is his first vaporizer, two weeks ago he was smoking out of a glass pipe. Were talking about someone that has been burning for over 40 years.
I hope it's reliable as I'm sure he's quickly noticing the superior benefits of vapor.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
right now I'm torn between a MF Orbiter and one of those VapExhale HoneyComb pieces
I love my hydratube but I can't really recommend it as a first glass piece. It's not very versatile at all because the joint is on the bottom. I got it for my HydroBrick add-on, and the Grasshopper usage is a nice bonus. It's also my foot in the door to finally purchasing an Evo some day. I suppose if you got a base for it too it would be more versatile but you're talking some serious money at that point. Not that it's not worth it.

The orbiter seems like a great choice that works well with a variety of vapes. Or check out the glass section here on FC if you haven't already. I started buying cheap glass but now I prefer to buy more artisanal pieces. Not that my budget can afford the really fancy stuff. I like JoDa Glassworks a lot, he has great skills and prices:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/joda-glassworks.13915/

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I love my hydratube but I can't really recommend it as a first glass piece. It's not very versatile at all because the joint is on the bottom. I got it for my HydroBrick add-on, and the Grasshopper usage is a nice bonus. It's also my foot in the door to finally purchasing an Evo some day. I suppose if you got a base for it too it would be more versatile but you're talking some serious money at that point. Not that it's not worth it.

The orbiter seems like a great choice that works well with a variety of vapes. Or check out the glass section here on FC if you haven't already. I started buying cheap glass but now I prefer to buy more artisanal pieces. Not that my budget can afford the really fancy stuff. I like JoDa Glassworks a lot, he has great skills and prices:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/joda-glassworks.13915/
Yes, @moondog, I'm changing my vote to the Orbiter (of the two choices). I had not noticed that the HydraComb inlet is at the bottom! My attention goes back to the D-020d.

moondog

Thank you Vapor Eyes and Vapviking. I'll definitely give Joda a look and poke around the glass section, but it seems like wherever my attention may wander, it keeps coming back to the Orbiter. It gets extra points being from Magic Flyte. The MFLB was my first portable and I really like supporting them as a company.

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Nice pics man :) Hoppers on the beach are the best
Thanks bud! Yeah, coastal Hopping rules! :)
I should probably clarify.
The bag I keep them in is a small velvet pouch that came with the MFLB . . . . . . the batteries can't move during transport (or really at all)
Y'know, I thought that was probably the case with you - hence why I was referring to 'loose batteries' in my previous post. Good to hear you are aware, and it sounds like you are taking care. Thank you for the reassurance. I can rest easy now, bro! :tup:

But I also wanted to point it out because I didn't want anyone else who may be reading the thread to think that it was o.k to simply keep all of their batteries together, loose in a bag, or dare I say, in a pocket! :doh:

- But I'm sure no one here would ever do that . . . . so please don't prove me wrong, folks! :rolleyes:

Okay okay, enough of the safety dance.

No, fuck that! LET'S SAFETY DANCE!!!
:rockon:
:peace:

btka

JoeMama

From another old man,

First lemme say that as I'm sure many of us are very careful and thorough as we get to know how to Hop, I respect that you as well have been scratching through a few layers of scalp trying to figure this out. Respect.

It seems you've tried everything I would have, surely. I think the comments from @tubasco and @vapviking comprise a good "checklist" of things to note.

By the way, I'm not sure a "sprinkle" is all that good to test, either... Picture the hopper on its side with the herb in the chamber; if it "lines the bottom" and allows a majority of heated air to flow over the material, I doubt it will give you as much output than if the chamber at least has some "fluff blockage" in it so that air must go through it.

And not to sound all bourgeoisie, if you happen to own 2 hoppers, try swapping pieces and follow that trail of breadcrumbs.

Of most importance is that if you intend on making a warranty claim, be very specific, very certain of your conclusion. The more concise you can outline the conditions, the better for the fastest turn-around.

No, fuck that! LET'S SAFETY DANCE!!!

We can vape if we want to!:smug:

Top Bottom