Discontinued The Grasshopper

jabba

Hi there,

Just some information about HL's warranty system.
From making my warranty claim to having the replacement mouthpiece shipped took nearly a month.
Add at least ten days to get it in my hands… Thats 40 days without my GH. Maybe lots of people have a good warranty experience but mine is really bad. For the second time!
I've waited two years between backing and getting it. So I'm really fond of the concept but the way they are treating my demands makes me want to get rid of it.

sorry so long!

My warranty experience(s) have been different than yours. The Good: My SS GH got a VERY hot back end and Hopper sent me a new back end quickly. After receipt I sent my old back end back to them. The bad: The new back end gets similarly hot and they requested that I send the entire unit back to them. The good: They responded quickly after receiving my unit and explained that they could not duplicate the problem. I asked them to allow the battery to partially drain and re-test. The bad: 6 days later...I got a notice that they are returning my unit. I inquired as to what repairs had been completed. Hopper responded, "As previously stated, your Hopper tested to operate in the acceptable heat range. I tried retesting the unit multiple times with a nearly drained battery but was unable to recreate the excessively hot Back End. Nothing was replaced on your device. Play around with it a bit when you receive it and try placing your hands on the middle section of the device if you feel the Back End is getting too hot. I apologize that I was not able to replace your Back End, but the heat was well within the acceptable range. "

Secondarily, I never posted this prior....but my new Ti arrived with a misshapen back end. The battery compartment was perfectly round, however, the back end which screws into the compartment was oblong....thus left a sharp gap when screwed on. Prior to my first use of the Ti I had to file a warranty claim. I wasn't expecting an apology from HL and I got none. HL replaced the back end and returned the unit to me promptly. It was an inconvenience, however, in terms of warranty service it was reasonably quick.

I cannot really complain about their service. Hopper received my unit(s) and responded reasonably quickly. I think 6 days to not do anything with my SS unit is a bit excessive, but I'd expect that Hopper wishes to deter owners from sending their units in for service continually for issues that Hopper Labs feels are 'non-issues'. Additionally, HL is no doubt a busy place. Beware...don't send your unit in unless it is faulty.

This brings me to the point of my post: I love my Grasshoppers (I have both SS and Ti units...primarily to have a backup). Currently my Ti back end is not getting hot, however, at times it does indeed get very hot. My SS consistently gets VERY hot (despite Hopper Labs findings) and heats up like a coil the moment the on button is depressed. You can feel the back end get hot MUCH faster than you can feel the heater unit (mid/front section). Despite this fact, HL found it to be "within the acceptable heat range". I'd think that most of us find no reason for the rear end of this vaporizer to produce any heat whatsoever. When our back ends produce heat...at times seemingly excessive heat...it is startling and seems possibly a potential safety issue. I'm frankly surprised that the negative end of my battery hasn't melted inside the unit! Clearly hot back ends are "normal" within "acceptable ranges". Perhaps if Hopper Labs could provide some (even rudimentary) explanation(s) relating to 'common issues' relating to their product, many (if not most) of us could be subdued...and thus eliminate the (seemingly) excessive and potentially unnecessary warranty claims. Clearly some Hoppers are simply failing completely, however, Hopper Labs must be getting an awful lot of hot back end (and other apparently unnecessary 'within tolerances' warranty claims which surely do not help them with their backlog issues or customer retention issues.

I reiterate....I love love love my Hopper(s). I HIGHLY recommend the product. So much in fact that if I were a Shark Tank host...I'd gamble a LOT of money on this game changing product. Before I committed my hard earned money, however, I would be certain that Hopper Labs employ a business and marketing professional to better facilitate and handle the business, marketing, consumer knowledge base & information, and public relations side of their organization. Once they have the right person handling their business relations...sky is the limit. This product (imo) so exceeds the PAX and similar HIGHLY successful vapes....it is like comparing an AMC Gremlin to a Ferrari Testarossa. Quite simply, if some of our issues are in fact "within tolerances", please let us know what to expect and what tolerances are acceptable. This would reduce consumer frustration and warranty claims...and increase production. Communication is key.

Last edited:

lovecrush

http://goo.gl/EsKJzJ
Any j-hook fans here? I received this one two days ago from Oregon Glassblower.

4c2bbf07dec91177655a5eb12bde35e0.jpg

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
sorry so long!

My warranty experience(s) have been different than yours. The Good: My SS GH got a VERY hot back end and Hopper sent me a new back end quickly. After receipt I sent my old back end back to them. The bad: The new back end gets similarly hot and they requested that I send the entire unit back to them. The good: They responded quickly after receiving my unit and explained that they could not duplicate the problem. I asked them to allow the battery to partially drain and re-test. The bad: 6 days later...I got a notice that they are returning my unit. I inquired as to what repairs had been completed. Hopper responded, "As previously stated, your Hopper tested to operate in the acceptable heat range. I tried retesting the unit multiple times with a nearly drained battery but was unable to recreate the excessively hot Back End. Nothing was replaced on your device. Play around with it a bit when you receive it and try placing your hands on the middle section of the device if you feel the Back End is getting too hot. I apologize that I was not able to replace your Back End, but the heat was well within the acceptable range. "

Secondarily, I never posted this prior....but my new Ti arrived with a misshapen back end. The battery compartment was perfectly round, however, the back end which screws into the compartment was oblong....thus left a sharp gap when screwed on. Prior to my first use of the Ti I had to file a warranty claim. I wasn't expecting an apology from HL and I got none. HL replaced the back end and returned the unit to me promptly. It was an inconvenience, however, in terms of warranty service it was reasonably quick.

I cannot really complain about their service. Hopper received my unit(s) and responded reasonably quickly. I think 6 days to not do anything with my SS unit is a bit excessive, but I'd expect that Hopper wishes to deter owners from sending their units in for service continually for issues that Hopper Labs feels are 'non-issues'. Additionally, HL is no doubt a busy place. Beware...don't send your unit in unless it is faulty.

This brings me to the point of my post: I love my Grasshoppers (I have both SS and Ti units...primarily to have a backup). Currently my Ti back end is not getting hot, however, at times it does indeed get very hot. My SS consistently gets VERY hot (despite Hopper Labs findings) and heats up like a coil the moment the on button is depressed. You can feel the back end get hot MUCH faster than you can feel the heater unit (mid/front section). Despite this fact, HL found it to be "within the acceptable heat range". I'd think that most of us find no reason for the rear end of this vaporizer to produce any heat whatsoever. When our back ends produce heat...at times seemingly excessive heat...it is startling and seems possibly a potential safety issue. I'm frankly surprised that the negative end of my battery hasn't melted inside the unit! Clearly hot back ends are "normal" within "acceptable ranges". Perhaps if Hopper Labs could provide some (even rudimentary) explanation(s) relating to 'common issues' relating to their product, many (if not most) of us could be subdued...and thus eliminate the (seemingly) excessive and potentially unnecessary warranty claims. Clearly some Hoppers are simply failing completely, however, Hopper Labs must be getting an awful lot of hot back end (and other apparently unnecessary 'within tolerances' warranty claims which surely do not help them with their backlog issues or customer retention issues.

I reiterate....I love love love my Hopper(s). I HIGHLY recommend the product. So much in fact that if I were a Shark Tank host...I'd gamble a LOT of money on this game changing product. Before I committed my hard earned money, however, I would be certain that Hopper Labs employ a business and marketing professional to better facilitate and handle the business, marketing, consumer knowledge base & information, and public relations side of their organization. Once they have the right person handling their business relations...sky is the limit. This product (imo) so exceeds the PAX and similar HIGHLY successful vapes....it is like comparing an AMC Gremlin to a Ferrari Testarossa. Quite simply, if some of our issues are in fact "within tolerances", please let us know what to expect and what tolerances are acceptable. This would reduce consumer frustration and warranty claims...and increase production. Communication is key.
Thanks for your detailed report.
Please ask them to define their acceptable backend temp range. If they would drop numbers, that could help everyone.

Love and peace
:peace:

Mrbinky

Currently my Ti back end is not getting hot, however, at times it does indeed get very hot. My SS consistently gets VERY hot (despite Hopper Labs findings) and heats up like a coil the moment the on button is depressed. You can feel the back end get hot MUCH faster than you can feel the heater unit (mid/front section). Despite this fact, HL found it to be "within the acceptable heat range". I'd think that most of us find no reason for the rear end of this vaporizer to produce any heat whatsoever. When our back ends produce heat...at times seemingly excessive heat...it is startling and seems possibly a potential safety issue. I'm frankly surprised that the negative end of my battery hasn't melted inside the unit! Clearly hot back ends are "normal" within "acceptable ranges". Perhaps if Hopper Labs could provide some (even rudimentary) explanation(s) relating to 'common issues' relating to their product, many (if not most) of us could be subdued...and thus eliminate the (seemingly) excessive and potentially unnecessary warranty claims. Clearly some Hoppers are simply failing completely, however, Hopper Labs must be getting an awful lot of hot back end (and other apparently unnecessary 'within tolerances' warranty claims which surely do not help them with their backlog issues or customer retention issues.
Quite simply, if some of our issues are in fact "within tolerances", please let us know what to expect and what tolerances are acceptable. This would reduce consumer frustration and warranty claims...and increase production. Communication is key.
I challenge anyone who claims their backend or mouthpiece is getting "too hot" to actually measure and quantify just how hot they mean.

Amazon sells IR themometers that seem suited to this. Example: https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Las...F8&qid=1474556042&sr=1-1&keywords=thermometer

I'm not disputing that your Hopper is getting hot. But I'm just suggesting that you objectively measure and document it, and share your findings with the community. Especially if you've been denied a warranty claim on the grounds that your Hopper is functioning "normally", because it would help us determine just what HL considers to be "acceptably hot", so we can judge for ourselves if we agree. Personal comfort is subjective, but an actual, measured temperature is an objective fact.

Also, a hot Hopper isn't just uncomfortable. There are physiological limits to exposure to heat, beyond which one risks injury. If some Hoppers can become dangerously hot, that is objectively not "acceptable" regardless what HL might claim. Especially when a part is getting hot not due to the functionality (mouthpiece or heater) but design flaws (backend.)

jabba

I challenge anyone who claims their backend or mouthpiece is getting "too hot" to actually measure and quantify just how hot they mean.

Amazon sells IR themometers that seem suited to this. Example: https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Las...F8&qid=1474556042&sr=1-1&keywords=thermometer

I'm not disputing that your Hopper is getting hot. But I'm just suggesting that you objectively measure and document it, and share your findings with the community. Especially if you've been denied a warranty claim on the grounds that your Hopper is functioning "normally", because it would help us determine just what HL considers to be "acceptably hot", so we can judge for ourselves if we agree. Personal comfort is subjective, but an actual, measured temperature is an objective fact.

Also, a hot Hopper isn't just uncomfortable. There are physiological limits to exposure to heat, beyond which one risks injury. If some Hoppers can become dangerously hot, that is objectively not "acceptable" regardless what HL might claim. Especially when a part is getting hot not due to the functionality (mouthpiece or heater) but design flaws (backend.)

Respectfully...I'm not exactly sure that we are talking the same language here. I fully expect that my Hopper front end will get hot while in use. The front end heat does not and never did bother me. The back end heat is what has startled me. My temp dial and clip at back end get terrifically hot and FAST once the unit is turned on. This may be part of the design of the Grasshopper, however, to the lay person it seems strange, startling, and a potential safety issue for the unit to get very hot at the back end at the negative battery portion and in a place that a heater does NOT exist. Like I said...perhaps this is 'normal'...and if this were communicated to owners in an effective way...perhaps we could eliminate this as an 'issue'.

Baron23

This may be part of the design of the Grasshopper,

It is not. Mine has absolutely no heat in the back end and any heat that you feel is dissipated electrical energy that should be going to the heating coil.

I love my GH but find Hopper Labs to be right up there with Firefly on the bullshit and "duck and hide" quotient.

jabba

It is not. Mine has absolutely no heat in the back end and any heat that you feel is dissipated electrical energy that should be going to the heating coil.

I love my GH but find Hopper Labs to be right up there with Firefly on the bullshit and "duck and hide" quotient.

Rule of thumb should be if your backend only gets as hot/warm as the body of the GH then its normal heat transference and your ok. If the backend gets hotter than the body than you have an issue. No need to measure the temp.

Baron....exactly why I finally decided to send my unit to Hopper Labs. Aside from the super hot back end...My unit seemed to function ok. The back end gets so hot and so quickly....it is frankly worrisome. The fact that you and other posters report no heat at your back ends makes it even more worrisome. According to Hopper Labs....well you read their quote....my Hopper is within tolerable limits....thus implying that a hot back end is "normal".

Hawk....I am not referring to heat transference in any way/shape/form. This is immediate heat generation (like a stove top heat coil) at the back end of the unit. You can feel it charging with heat in seconds. It doesn't happen every time on the SS...but typically my SS heats up at the back end and quickly. I pull 10-15 seconds at a time....and shut off a few seconds prior to completing my pull. I typically do not take successive pulls....I'm old...and I don't need to be out of my mind all day. I understand your post. If this were just a warming at the back end because the front end heat is transferring....that would be something different entirely and I never would have sent in for a warranty request.

Cynical View: WTF...Hopper tested this thing and says I'm crazy!...I must be the only one with a hot back end?...wait...they say that the back end is supposed to get hot?...but mine isn't hot enough to warrant a repair? Hmmm..

Optimists View: Well...Hopper Labs says my unit back end is OK despite the heat...it must be safe and OK!

My View: Somewhere in between

jabba

In my experience as long as the lights go blue after 5 seconds any other problems your Hopper might have are "within tolerable limits."

I tend to agree with this. Despite some subjective shortcomings....there is no device that I have ever seen that can accomplish what my little Hoppers can accomplish and in this spectacular form factor. I intend to be satisfied with HL's response to my hot back end ....and continue on as if it is normal and safe. When one of my Hoppers outright fails...I'll send it in and use my backup. I'm not expecting to find another dry herb pen that works this well and feels this well-made any time soon.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Respectfully...I'm not exactly sure that we are talking the same language here. I fully expect that my Hopper front end will get hot while in use. The front end heat does not and never did bother me. The back end heat is what has startled me. My temp dial and clip at back end get terrifically hot and FAST once the unit is turned on. This may be part of the design of the Grasshopper, however, to the lay person it seems strange, startling, and a potential safety issue for the unit to get very hot at the back end at the negative battery portion and in a place that a heater does NOT exist. Like I said...perhaps this is 'normal'...and if this were communicated to owners in an effective way...perhaps we could eliminate this as an 'issue'.
Normal is just so vague here. Sometimes when I use my unit it remains cool in the backend. Other times it is HOT even on low temps. This is not normal, but still considered acceptable? Idk, I don't mind the heat, but that heat could be going to the herb instead of the backend, yaknow? No temperature reading needed to know it is not running as it should. But alas, I'm still okay with it. I'd like to let em know about my backend but I don't want to have to send anything in for it to be declared "acceptable" and returned unchanged.

The backend remained at a very acceptable temperature in that session video I posted. No rapid heat buildup, just started getting warm as the unit did, as it should.

Mrbrown81k

It finally arrived! Was a little lighter than I expected (SS). My charger seems to be used or something though as it looks like its been dropped. Anyway charging it up now , will do a burn off after and then give it a try. They sent me an extra battery as well for the long wait, and luckily they are the new GHB2 batteries. Hopefully better than the old ones. Will report back with my opinion.

Mr. Me2

It finally arrived! Was a little lighter than I expected (SS). My charger seems to be used or something though as it looks like its been dropped. Anyway charging it up now , will do a burn off after and then give it a try. They sent me an extra battery as well for the long wait, and luckily they are the new GHB2 batteries. Hopefully better than the old ones. Will report back with my opinion.
Sounds like could use your first accessory...an external charger!

And congrats on your new baby!!!

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
sorry so long!

Great post, Jabba!

This is actually an interesting idea. I know nothing about this and don't know whether a $16.00 unit from Amazon would do the job, but being able to ask GHL if xxx degrees F/C is an acceptable temp would certainly start to fill in some gaps in our knowledge/understanding. If I have temp problems when I get my hopper, maybe I'll invest in one of these. Can one of our tech experts chime in on whether something like this is a decent unit?

I tend to agree with this. Despite some subjective shortcomings....there is no device that I have ever seen that can accomplish what my little Hoppers can accomplish and in this spectacular form factor. I intend to be satisfied with HL's response to my hot back end ....and continue on as if it is normal and safe. When one of my Hoppers outright fails...I'll send it in and use my backup. I'm not expecting to find another dry herb pen that works this well and feels this well-made any time soon.
"The Grasshopper is really good so they don't have to treat their customers like a normal company would."
is basically what you just said. I disagree.

Man I couldn't be more tired of people defending this company just because the product is good or because they're a "start-up." They have bad business practices and it's that simple regardless of who they are or what they sell.

moondog

Don't know how to link to a tweet, but #grasshoppervape just posted a "charger 2.0" on Twitter.
That looks sturdier, I think.

Unrelated and possibly stupid question here: How easy is it to tell a SS hopper from a plain Ti just by sight? In photos they look pretty close.

moondog,

vapeOR

Unrelated and possibly stupid question here: How easy is it to tell a SS hopper from a plain Ti just by sight? In photos they look pretty close.

Not easy. Visually, on the plain Ti there's a difference between the stainless steel clip & its ring and the remainder of the hopper. On the SS, the clip and its ring are the same stainless steel finish as the rest of the hopper.

I can tell the MP's apart by the balance test -- Ti will balance on the slanted tip, but the SS won't.

The weight difference is discernible when held side-by-side but only just slightly.

My 2 units have other differences, but that requires a bit more thought and might not apply to your question.

JoeMama

Rule of thumb should be if your backend only gets as hot/warm as the body of the GH then its normal heat transference and your ok. If the backend gets hotter than the body than you have an issue. No need to measure the temp.

The "negative terminal" end of the back end is exactly where the clip band is. While my backends on both of my Ti's do not get "hot" unless the connection is suboptimal (cleaning, tightening, etc), that clip band is what gets warmer than anything else on the backend. In other words, the Temp Dial and the clicker do not get warm, but that clip band does. And it can get a bit "hot" in the case of a suboptimal connection.

Baron....exactly why I finally decided to send my unit to Hopper Labs. Aside from the super hot back end...My unit seemed to function ok. The back end gets so hot and so quickly....it is frankly worrisome. The fact that you and other posters report no heat at your back ends makes it even more worrisome. According to Hopper Labs....well you read their quote....my Hopper is within tolerable limits....thus implying that a hot back end is "normal".

Hawk....I am not referring to heat transference in any way/shape/form. This is immediate heat generation (like a stove top heat coil) at the back end of the unit. You can feel it charging with heat in seconds. It doesn't happen every time on the SS...but typically my SS heats up at the back end and quickly. I pull 10-15 seconds at a time....and shut off a few seconds prior to completing my pull. I typically do not take successive pulls....I'm old...and I don't need to be out of my mind all day. I understand your post. If this were just a warming at the back end because the front end heat is transferring....that would be something different entirely and I never would have sent in for a warranty request.

Cynical View: WTF...Hopper tested this thing and says I'm crazy!...I must be the only one with a hot back end?...wait...they say that the back end is supposed to get hot?...but mine isn't hot enough to warrant a repair? Hmmm..

Optimists View: Well...Hopper Labs says my unit back end is OK despite the heat...it must be safe and OK!

My View: Somewhere in between

Jabba, Im of the same point of view with @Baron23 , that there shouldn't be excessive heat in the backend. Please take this the way I intend: I hope your hopper totally fails so you can get a replacement. Whichever end fails on it, I think eventually something will given your descriptions.
And I hope it happens soon.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
That looks sturdier, I think.

At a glance and from a distance it's not easy. The Ti is a shade darker. The easiest way to tell is the serial number, it will start with GS or GT, with the second letter representing the material.

Last edited:

moondog

Not easy. Visually, on the plain Ti there's a difference between the stainless steel clip & its ring and the remainder of the hopper. On the SS, the clip and its ring are the same stainless steel finish as the rest of the hopper.

I can tell the MP's apart by the balance test -- Ti will balance on the slanted tip, but the SS won't.

The weight difference is discernible when held side-by-side but only just slightly.

My 2 units have other differences, but that requires a bit more thought and might not apply to your question.

At a glance and froma distance it's not easy. The Ti is a shade darker. The easiest way to tell is the serial number, it will start with GS or GT, with the second letter representing the material.

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid of that. Part of me is wondering if I should change my Ti order to a colored one but I really didn't want to deal with the scratching/degradation of the finish.

Top Bottom