Discontinued The Grasshopper

MoltenTiger

The new charger probably is designed to not malfunction from shorting itself with metal particles magnetised to it. The cable is like the original charger (cable on one side only) but with extra durability in place.

Still find myself just swapping batteries even though I have three magnetic chargers, it's just easier to do this to make sure of getting a properly fully charged cell.

On backend heat, I was using both last night and touched either clip on my forehead (with my SoL double set up they sit very close to my face) and found it interesting to note that the blue button was cold, and the plain Ti was faintly warm. Sometimes the plain Ti back-end can get very hot, and I usually notice this by bumping my wrist against it as it sits on my mouse pad after use. I'd say it can get hot enough to burn, it definitely can't easily be held on to, but only rarely. Performance between the two is practically the same, so I assume it falls into the acceptable heat spectrum, although obviously no heat is possible and would be ideal.

Grasshopper started consistently doing the dead battery lights on the first hit of a fresh battery and other random times but I'm pretty sure I figured out what it is this time. Amazing that Caroline or someone else at Hopper Labs who tested my Hopper didn't catch this or suggest that it might be an issue.
R5WD3i.jpg

Threads were SUPER dirty. After cleaning it seems to be functioning better all around and hasn't given a false dead battery signal yet.

Spoke too soon. Still giving flashing lights early but doesn't seem to actually go red like it was.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

Grasshopper started consistently doing the dead battery lights on the first hit of a fresh battery and other random times but I'm pretty sure I figured out what it is this time. Amazing that Caroline or someone else at Hopper Labs who tested my Hopper didn't catch this or suggest that it might be an issue.
R5WD3i.jpg

Threads were SUPER dirty. After cleaning it seems to be functioning better all around and hasn't given a false dead battery signal yet.

Spoke too soon. Still giving flashing lights early but doesn't seem to actually go red like it was.
Has more gunk (TiO2 from high energy arcing across the tiny air gap in the threads) built up causing the end to heat up again?

I find cleaning my threads seems to have a direct response to the heat, but it certainly only seems to last a random amount of time before it'll heat up again. Sometimes it can be days, other times chambers. It's hard to correlate across, and the fact HL are silent on it might mean we are just dealing with coincidence..

Try using an electronic cleaning agent like DeoxIT to see if you can extend the times between hot back ends. There is some issue here, and it should be fixable.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Thanks for the replies. I was afraid of that. Part of me is wondering if I should change my Ti order to a colored one but I really didn't want to deal with the scratching/degradation of the finish.
I'm still wondering why, on a Ti of any color, the clip ring is SS.
I do like the look and feel of the plain Ti, except for the look of the clip ring. On plain Ti the difference is not overwhelming, but the difference is how I can tell them apart when the two are side by side. The SS is a homogeneous, sleeker look, imo.
And any time I see photo of colored Ti I wonder, why is it 2-tone?

sorry, not for @moondog ,
About Backends
Heat
On my two, backend heat issues are very different and I'll have to get a warranty request going soon. The Ti backend stays cool until heat is conducted to it via rest of the body. The SS backend does that behavior and: when heater is cycling the backend gets very hot, let go! it may be burning type hot. This heat comes on extremely quickly, to the point that I'm thinking I may have gotten a mild shock, but no, just heat. Then, the backend heat dissipates almost as quickly as it came on. I have made no particular study of battery life between the two hoppers, they each seem to yield a couple/few bowls.
Magnetism (?)
One other stray thought about Back Ends. Does anyone else notice how much magnetism is going on around the backend? Nothing to do with charger, I have almost never used the factory charger (not once with SS hopper).
When I unscrew the backend, it can just about pull the battery out via magnetic force. The backend is also very attracted to the end of the hopper body.
I can not help but think that these kinds of forces might wreak havoc with delicate electronics, and I also wonder about the interplay of this field with the usb charger.
Am I way out in left field here with all of this? (Just noticed, but no pun intended!) :nod:

Last edited:

huk_huk

Well on reddit there are a lot of posts about how electric conductive grease on the threads helps with the backend heat. Well, from my electronic knowledge it shouldn't be requiered because the threads already have such a big surface area so there shouldn't be a lot of resistance. However after cleaning I put a little graphite (tiny amount, don't wanna inhale it; note there are food safe alternatives) on the threads. So my GH never had a backend heat problem in first place, other than getting warm when ripping on 5 or over doing it, when the battery is about to die and when the threads get dirty. With the graphite on the threads it seems to stay like it was fresh cleaned everytime.

btw, do you guys know if you get a notification that your backshipped faulty part arrived at GHlabs?

jabba

Well on reddit there are a lot of posts about how electric conductive grease on the threads helps with the backend heat. Well, from my electronic knowledge it shouldn't be requiered because the threads already have such a big surface area so there shouldn't be a lot of resistance. However after cleaning I put a little graphite (tiny amount, don't wanna inhale it; note there are food safe alternatives) on the threads. So my GH never had a backend heat problem in first place, other than getting warm when ripping on 5 or over doing it, when the battery is about to die and when the threads get dirty. With the graphite on the threads it seems to stay like it was fresh cleaned everytime.

btw, do you guys know if you get a notification that your backshipped faulty part arrived at GHlabs?

What conductive grease(s) are food safe? I've looked at several of these conductive grease products and none that I have yet seen appear to be something that I'd like to be inhaling. Your help appreciated.

"The Grasshopper is really good so they don't have to treat their customers like a normal company would."
is basically what you just said. I disagree.

Man I couldn't be more tired of people defending this company just because the product is good or because they're a "start-up." They have bad business practices and it's that simple regardless of who they are or what they sell.

Don't mistake my strong and positive feelings for my Grasshopper Vape with strong and positive feelings for Hopper Labs. I obviously do not condemn Hopper for the way(s) that they have handled their challenges as you seem to. That said, I also am not "defending" them in any way. Should you calm and take the time to read my posts in their entirety, I'd think you'd find your posted sentiment misguided. In fact, I stated that they have much work to do in the areas of public relations, business management, and with the supply of information relating to what behaviors are normal/abnormal relating to the GH. I'm just not a hater.

Last edited:

Mrbrown81k

So my first impressions of the grasshopper are pretty much on par with Vape critics. It definitely serves its purpose for situations when I need to get medicated quick. But I do fear the hot vapor it produces. My temporary solution is to stick my arizer glass stem on to the silicone mouthpiece and suck from the glass stem. Actually works! Makes the vapor tolerable and airflow is fine! Seems slightly more practical than putting a crafty mouthpiece on there except there's no tight seal and have to hold it in to place.

radiant34

So my first impressions of the grasshopper are pretty much on par with Vape critics. It definitely serves its purpose for situations when I need to get medicated quick. But I do fear the hot vapor it produces. My temporary solution is to stick my arizer glass stem on to the silicone mouthpiece and suck from the glass stem. Actually works! Makes the vapor tolerable and airflow is fine! Seems slightly more practical than putting a crafty mouthpiece on there except there's no tight seal and have to hold it in to place.
just so you know the vapecritic is a highly biased reviewer. He bashes the grasshopper meanwhile praises garbo products such as kandyvapes and gpen. it's really unforunate. what the peeps at ghlabs have created is phenomenal. although granted many people are having warranty issues, they are going out of their way to correct any problems.

Mrbrown81k

just so you know the vapecritic is a highly biased reviewer. He bashes the grasshopper meanwhile praises garbo products such as kandyvapes and gpen. it's really unforunate. what the peeps at ghlabs have created is phenomenal. although granted many people are having warranty issues, they are going out of their way to correct any problems.
Yes but can any of you honestly say without water filtration that the vapor is really tolerable? I was sure everyone was exaggerating but its really too hot and unpleasant. Granted this is my first day with it so will need more testing..

MoltenTiger

I'd recommend an MFLB stem used in the silicone MP for hands free cooling like this.

I agree, I'm not a fan of the hot vapor from the device directly*, smokers seem to like it. The cooled vapor is great though, I just carry glass with me. Took my hopper for a bike ride today, along with a little banger hanger glass rig and some apricot juice. It was a 10/10 time.

Something I've noticed is that the 'bad' tasting vapor from a pre-cooked chamber isn't actually distasteful, rather it's savoury. More descriptively I'm finding it tastes like stir-fry's or similar savoury dishes and it's actually not that bad. Anyone else tasting this? It's different between strains but it always seems to start sweet and end savoury for me.

I've also noticed the magnetism in the back-end @vapviking. With two next to each other, they tend to align. It's subtle and more noticeable if the back-ends have been attached to the charger, but feels wack when blazing. Also noticed the batteries getting pulled out by the back end, but again mainly after using the magnetic charger.
Any metal with a current flowing through it creates a magnetic field, so yeah some funky atom shit goes on in many ways with the hoppers.

*anything below 4 is fine for me native, still not my preference but great for taste testing the nuggies

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Vape Critic. Although I didn't agree with his review of the gh, I generally find him very reliable. He's a guy with LOTS of vaping experience. And I think he pretty clearly distinguishes top tier vapes from other levels. With many lower end vapes, there can and (I think) should be some that are better than others. So I don't have a problem with him liking some that are less expensive.

Boy, I hope this doesn't open up a can of worms....

And to @Mrbrown81k, what temp setting are you using? For me, I haven't found the gh too hot. And although I don't find its flavor on par with the Crafty, I like it just fine and always use it natively. I'm generally around 3 and rarely step up. Have you tried a lower temperature?

MoltenTiger

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Vape Critic. Although I didn't agree with his review of the gh, I generally find him very reliable. He's a guy with LOTS of vaping experience. And I think he pretty clearly distinguishes top tier vapes from other levels. With many lower end vapes, there can and (I think) should be some that are better than others. So I don't have a problem with him liking some that are less expensive.

Yeah I'm with you Mr. Me2, initially there was a lot of unneeded heat around his GH review, and whilst I don't necessarily share his opinion he mentioned all his reasoning and I think it's reasonable for him to not be stoked with the GH. Hating on the clip and disproportionately spending time nitpicking non-functional aspects just snowballed his criticisms into an ugly picture. My pen paints me masterpieces, I guess many others do too, so there was a bit of backlash (enough he edited). But honestly, he nails every negative thing with the hopper, it's good to have that out in the open. Us consumers are still interested in new devices that break the current standards. Plenty of breathing room still.
Plenty of mean time to blast chambers.

PS. Whilst I'm vaguely on the topic of the clip, I just wanted to say I am a fan of the two tone colour. Maybe on the plain Ti it's not that poppin but on the colour the contrast and light play looks great, IMO.
Ti just doesn't have that pure sheen of SS, and I like it. If all the unit was anodised I think it would look tacky in the current colour schemes. Maybe if it was a polished hardened anodised finish It could pull off the solid colour look..

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Yes but can any of you honestly say without water filtration that the vapor is really tolerable?
At least 90% of my usage is at temp 4, dry, with no silicone mouthpiece. Completely native.

The vapor is easily tolerable to me. Sometimes if I'm holding the Grasshopper at a weird angle the vapor hits my gums or the roof of my mouth and it is very hot. But under normal usage I don't find the vapor uncomfortable, even at temp 5. It is definitely potent and robust.

What I call robust may be harsh to others, I understand that.

I haven't combusted in over a year, but I did combust for many many years so I am used to harsh smoke. I do like a little bite to my vapor, but not too much. Honestly I was expecting the hopper to be harsher.

radiant34

And to @Mrbrown81k, what temp setting are you using? For me, I haven't found the gh too hot. And although I don't find its flavor on par with the Crafty, I like it just fine and always use it natively. I'm generally around 3 and rarely step up. Have you tried a lower temperature?
have you seen his kandypen reviews? apart from the review have you seen the various posts that highlight just how scammy kandypens are? like all users who purchase their first vaporizers, they want to make a good choice. not buy one and than buy another one cause the original purchase was not up to par. Kandypens, as-well as g-pens have somewhat found their foot in the door of the booming greenrush(especially Hightimes) and that's because they are constantly being advertised and pushed on the consumer. If you can compare the gh review video to the kandypen review video, a new, not-experienced user will go with the kandypen just based on vapecritics intonation and how cheerful he sounds reviewing one video compared to the other.

radiant34,
Reactions: slcbdco

Baron23

At least 90% of my usage is at temp 4, dry, with no silicone mouthpiece. Completely native.

The vapor is easily tolerable to me. Sometimes if I'm holding the Grasshopper at a weird angle the vapor hits my gums or the roof of my mouth and it is very hot. But under normal usage I don't find the vapor uncomfortable, even at temp 5. It is definitely potent and robust.

I haven't combusted in over a year, but I did combust for many many years so I am used to harsh smoke. I do like a little bite to my vapor, but not too much. Honestly I was expecting the hopper to be harsher.
While I often do use a water tool at home with my GH for a just before bedtime session, I also use it native and have had the opportunity to travel with it a few times and use it on the road natively.

Not cool and tasty, but I wouldn't vape MJ just for the taste....I'm in it for the effects which the GH delivers quite well. I find that for me, in native mode with silicon MP, that the GH is indeed usable without a water tool.

MoltenTiger

have you seen his kandypen reviews? apart from the review have you seen the various posts that highlight just how scammy kandypens are? like all users who purchase their first vaporizers, they want to make a good choice. not buy one and than buy another one cause the original purchase was not up to par. Kandypens, as-well as g-pens have somewhat found their foot in the door of the booming greenrush(especially Hightimes) and that's because they are constantly being advertised and pushed on the consumer. If you can compare the gh review video to the kandypen review video, a new, not-experienced user will go with the kandypen just based on vapecritics intonation and how cheerful he sounds reviewing one video compared to the other.
I've seen a whole bunch of his vids, sure he praises some crap products but he still offers a decent review. He's seemingly bias, that's most of YouTube, have a listen to Lewie from Unbox therapy on Joe Rogans podcast for a bit of insight to the YouTube marketing circus.
If someone buys whimsically because of tactful advertisement then they will continue to weep money until they learn how to survive in the current-day capitalistic shit show.
By listening to his critics and deducing the points relevant to personal usage, it's actually a good review to watch at 1.5x speed

JoeMama

Yes but can any of you honestly say without water filtration that the vapor is really tolerable? I was sure everyone was exaggerating but its really too hot and unpleasant. Granted this is my first day with it so will need more testing..

As @Mr. Me2 and @Vapor_Eyes have stated, I also have had no real issues with using it natively.... I have used a bubbler at times, and it's much sweeter, yeah, but I find that necessary if I will hit it at T5 with the intention of hitting big.

.... If you can compare the gh review video to the kandypen review video, a new, not-experienced user will go with the kandypen just based on vapecritics intonation and how cheerful he sounds reviewing one video compared to the other.

When I watched Vapecritic's review back when he did it, I came away with the feeling that he was biased. Maybe he had to pay full price for his hopper and he didn't like being given one for review, or maybe he had problems with GH's stellar customer service. I respect that others may not think he was biased, but I definitely thought he had a bug up his butt about it.

Vapor Loop

I honestly can and i thought i would have problems. I only have issues with conduction vapor being too harsh. i can take a nice lung buster on 5 no problem no water no silicone. I sure as hell would not lie exaggerate or so on for Hopper labs or any company, My order did not go through smooth and i waited over two years for it. I don't even use my go to desktop logs much anymore because it works that much better.

Kalessin

I never use mine any way but natively on 5. Don't find it untolerable in the slightest, it could be significantly warmer and I wouldn't be bothered

Mr. Me2

I admit I hadn't watched his Kandypen review because I'm not a concentrate pen guy. But you asked, so I just watched his Kandypen Galaxy review. And he clearly likes the device. I also thought he was clear that it's for concentrates only.

I remember when I first started looking for a pen style vape that worked well with flower. I ended up with the v2 pro series 3. And that was in part due to Vape Critic's review. And boy, was I disappointed. But it did work like he said, without combusting. It's just not even close to the gh.

And I agree with you that marketing, store hype, and fear of stepping up the budget may lead some to "waste" $$$ on low end vapes. And that may turn some people off to vaping because it keeps them from ever having a positive vaping experience.

Truth be told, I wish I had the budget to buy a wider range of vapes, just to experience each one. I've never tried any of the Flowermate vapes (but I'm hopeful for the upcoming convection model). I haven't even tried an air or solo, any log or butane... So many vapes, so little time (and $$$).

I use it dry on 5 all the time. I take dabs with it dry. Not everyone is as sensitive as some people on this forum are to heat.

MoltenTiger

While I often do use a water tool at home with my GH for a just before bedtime session, I also use it native and have had the opportunity to travel with it a few times and use it on the road natively.

Not cool and tasty, but I wouldn't vape MJ just for the taste....I'm in it for the effects which the GH delivers quite well. I find that for me, in native mode with silicon MP, that the GH is indeed usable without a water tool.
Precisely. The enjoyment revolves around the after effect from the application, not so much the application itself. I want to get blasted without tearing my lungs up. It's a big perc that the hopper goes beyond the call of duty in that respect, although sometimes I question the health benefits with such luscious vapour. But being able to stay comfortably active and a lack of coughing up death is a big improvement to my previous combusting solutions, whilst making no sacrifices.
Very few vapes do that. None are even remotely as portable. I love beach bongs, and they've never been easier or more enjoyable, I also love hiking and live on the most mountainous island in the world, so I'm happy to go sans glass for the right view. DHgate offers plenty of smashable glassware I'm willing to cart around MTB trails and I can drive my good glass to the coast for post dive vibes. At home they work better than my desktop vape. There's very few boxes these things don't tick for me, it's hard not to be vocal about it :rolleyes:
Pretty excited to see these things through summer, and it's only just spring here. I'll tell you now they are most excellent in the winter. Little hand warming wonders

Last edited:

Mr Mellish

I'm a total pussy with respect to harsh vapor, having never been a smoker. However, I am somehow able to use my SS and Ti at 3 and 5 with a little bit of manageable coughing. To be fair, if I were to inhale longer than 10 seconds, I'd be rolling on the floor choking, I suspect. All that to say that it doesn't kick my ass like my old Pinnacle Pro did. Certainly much harsher than the Crafty, FW3 or Prima.

Top Bottom