Discontinued The Grasshopper

mario

I only have the one back end unfortunately. :(

@newVaper420 that sounds a lot more like my experience right now. The clicking is audable but not that loud, just barely. Like I said, I’m not babying the thing, I’m hammering it hard right now seeing if I can break the ‘new’ body. So far I haven’t been able to make it even hiccup.

fogbank

as far as backend goes, what's the thought there? more and more people seem to feel everything has to do with the body. I know everything is the circuit, or however i mean it (no wires) but last night I continued to have issues, either with no power on, or no power off. clickclickclick ugh.
can that be anything but the backend? who knows?

I don't believe that everything has to do with the body. I think the back end has its share of problems too.

The same thing is happening with mine now. It either won't turn on or it won't turn off if it somehow turns on. If I unscrew the backend a bit, sometimes it will work normally. I've also had an issue where it lights up red for a couple seconds without touching it while it is off.

Have either of you tried a thorough cleaning of the back end threads with Blu-Tack (both on the back end and in the body where the back end screws in)? And a light sanding or cleaning of the negative terminal of the back end?

fogbank,

elykpeace

exVASted
Og vapcap is nice and all but damn I miss my GH :bang: This will be my third. I sold my SS backup thinking I had a good one so I now have a soon to be SS and cool inkless pen that I can bring to a rave :freak:

NO ONE HAS OPENED ONE in nearly 900 pages?! :argh:

elykpeace,

eideal852

Og vapcap is nice and all but damn I miss my GH :bang: This will be my third. I sold my SS backup thinking I had a good one so I now have a soon to be SS and cool inkless pen that I can bring to a rave :freak:

NO ONE HAS OPENED ONE in nearly 900 pages?! :argh:
I dont know that that’s the case, and I know “search is your friend”, but I’m a weirdo: Every time I go back deep on a search I click through 20-odd pages reading every friggin post, never finding my answer. Seriously. No “I break warranties” shirt owners in all of the GH thread?

eideal852,
Reactions: Hogni

eideal852

I don't believe that everything has to do with the body. I think the back end has its share of problems too.

Just seems everybody hot on v5 liver transplants, and here I am with a seemingly bad heart. Though my liver doesn’t seem hot enough either. Oy.

Have either of you tried a thorough cleaning of the back end threads with Blu-Tack (both on the back end and in the body where the back end screws in)? And a light sanding or cleaning of the negative terminal of the back end?

I have not. I don’t have any blutack and am on the fence if silly putty would do it. (Kids, what can I say)
I wipe it w qtip and doesn’t look particularly bad, but I should.

eideal852,

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
It's possible. Who knows. All I know is now I am at temperature 5 when I used to be able to be good at 3.5 max 4.

I'm gonna take it to San Francisco on Sunday and see what happens. I also think I'm bringing the Mighty as well. LOL

Edit: Also - as a note. When I first got it.... When screwing on the back end, the red light would flicker. Now, it doesn't. Also, when heating, it would be much faster, now it takes a while. Second click, used to be immediate. Now, it takes a bit of time

This morning I used temperature 5, and slowed my draw and was able to get some thick hydratubes. But seriously disappointed.
New batts!:ko:

Custom Flower Hardware,
Reactions: Wildeyedzan

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Yeah I wish someone knew how to open the backend I bet if we could see inside we could figure out what's going on tolerance changing with the clicking and taking on and off the back? Feels like I've tried fidgeting with it all i can
Back ends have opened all by themselves and parts sprung out all over the place. There have been some photos posted, but not many, as I recall. My guess is that it would be extremely difficult to re-assemble (they probably use some special tools/jigs), even if you did get it apart.
I'm also highly skeptical that, once the parts were spread all around, and with not much way to test them each for fault, that one could determine the exact condition causing multiple, diverse symptoms.

I have not. I don’t have any blutack and am on the fence if silly putty would do it. (Kids, what can I say)
I wipe it w qtip and doesn’t look particularly bad, but I should.
I don't have Blutack (3M product?) but when I went to hardware store I found Stik Tack, an equivalent product (from Dupont?). I use it on back end threads (both male & female) and mouthpiece threads (on the body, not inside mp) once every couple of weeks and it's remarkable how much black gunk comes off of the threads, even though threads don't really look too bad beforehand.
Hopper users do a lot of screwing and unscrewing. Lately I tend to change batts almost every load*; who wants to run down while out and about? I have come to really appreciate the feel and ease of threads on the SS units, especially when cleaned with the Tac. Mouthpieces can spin on with one flick and a little tighten up.
Ti threads invariably feel a little gritty, never as slick as on the SS.

*(I am keeping a lower profile these days, using external charger. For quite a while I used to just return Hopper to it's own charger between uses, but always keeping some batts charged and ready with the D2.)

Just a general note, I've found the best 'diagnosis' parts are from second, known-to be-good Hoppers. You can see right away if problem is in body or back end just by swapping things around. This (and some other reasons, like backup) makes me feel really pleased with my younger self for having purchased more than one when they were $135 US for SS...

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
New batts!:ko:

They are new LOL. Just got em in July. And the hopper was out of service till September essentially. I have 4 GHB2’s.

Some other things I’ve noticed. While it was running super hot I used to have to blow out the body chamber with compressed air. Otherwise it wouldn’t start. That hasn’t seemed to happen.

Also, when it was running hot sometimes I’d have to click it twice to get it to start. That hasn’t happened again.

I haven’t done the sticky trick, I did clean threads with ISO and qtip but I guess not the same.

It’s working. It’s just not that punch in the face that I got when i first got it. But like I said, I think those hits were on the precipice of combustion. I always felt extremely nervous that it could turn yellow at anytime.

mario

I always felt extremely nervous that it could turn yellow at anytime.
Worst feeling in the world is taking a great hit from glass, and then all of a sudden everything turns yellow and your heart sinks.

I have only come dangerously close once, but it was for sure my fault with this unit. I kept hitting it at 5 even though I knew it was cached out. Just wanted to see if I could get a bit more. Being greedy lol.

elykpeace

exVASted
6dD4vxU_d.jpg

Found the pic

Thanks @vapviking

Baron23

There may be tons of users out there that have no reason to check this forum because everything is going swimingly for them.

Yes, and there may be a tooth fairy.

Insofar as many posters here have shared their negative experience over multiple sequential failures and interactions with Hopper Labs, I think its fair to discount that "silent majority of satisfied customers".

In these cases, we are not just seeing random and separate failure instances where the owner then comes to complain. Rather we are seeing continued reliability issues with the same owners through multiple RMAs, failures of new units that sure seem like the same stuff as before, and continued failure by Hopper to correct their problems.

Just the way I see it.

Last edited:

V_for_Vaping

Email from hl when enquiring about case.

"Hi Michael
The Stainless Case is expected to ship later this year. The exact date is not yet known. We have completed the design and testing phases and are just waiting on production and delivery for these items. Once here we will assemble and test each unit, then ship them to customers. We will have more progress updates as we go forward. Once released the pricing will change from pre-order prices to the higher normal pricing.
Thanks,

Hopper Labs Support"

More vagueness!

That's not as vague as what they said in the email on 8/15/18: "Current estimations are October and/or the end of the year." I don't see how it could have been October and the end of the year, but I guess that's on par with their usual estimations.

Of course, back in January they said: "Stainless Cases and External chargers have been delayed due to the overhauls we have undertaken with the central Grasshopper unit. With a small staff, we have had to put all our resources where it matters most. They will ship Q1. "

V_for_Vaping,
Reactions: Vapor_Eyes

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
More vagueness, uncertainty and delays from HL. I expect nothing less. And my pre-order Ti is in for RMA service for the first time - or RMA purgatory as I like to call it. Honestly, I have no idea what or WHEN to expect it back or whether it comes back with the original pieces fixed, a substitute piece (or two) or even someone else's piece (or two) with my original piece (or two). It's all a crapshoot at this point and I think I've read it all on this thread at this point. I wish my odds were better at winning the lottery than handicapping the aforementioned. It's just a wait-and-see type of thing with little expectations. Oh, and the occasional posting herein taking jabs at HL and commiserating and lamenting about our product experiences, lol.:peace:

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Ok been using hopper again. Temp 5. But getting a good roast. So I can't complain. I definitely tried the sanding trick (probably a little harder than I should have...) but whatever. Tomorrow, going to San Fran... bringing hopper and mighty this time. No way I'm gonna rely just on hopper.

Vaporific

Ok been using hopper again. Temp 5. But getting a good roast. So I can't complain. I definitely tried the sanding trick (probably a little harder than I should have...) but whatever. Tomorrow, going to San Fran... bringing hopper and mighty this time. No way I'm gonna rely just on hopper.
Good to know someone's unit is behaving better! Have fun in SF - I just came back a couple of weeks ago sans my Hopper (RMA - see previous post) but I had my new HR Fury with me which was and is just awesome. Just stay away from the Tenderloin district, which is where I stayed - it's worse than I remember from my first trip there years ago.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Good to know someone's unit is behaving better! Have fun in SF - I just came back a couple of weeks ago sans my Hopper (RMA - see previous post) but I had my new HR Fury with me which was and is just awesome. Just stay away from the Tenderloin district, which is where I stayed - it's worse than I remember from my first trip there years ago.

Well, i'm not sure if it's working properly or not, lol. That's the mystery of the Hopper.

I'm not sure what the tenderloin is. Hahaha. I was there in July and stayed at the Clift hotel.

Anyhow, I plan on visiting Urban Pharm (dab bar), Barbary Coast, and Bloom Room I think :-).

Vaporific

Well, i'm not sure if it's working properly or not, lol. That's the mystery of the Hopper.

I'm not sure what the tenderloin is. Hahaha. I was there in July and stayed at the Clift hotel.

Anyhow, I plan on visiting Urban Pharm (dab bar), Barbary Coast, and Bloom Room I think :-).
I was at Bloom Room - it's in the Tenderloin district. There are a couple of others nearby too but not sure if it's one of the others you mentioned. Bloom Room is great, especially weekends - look for sales (yes, they have them: $25 eighths on some varieties :) ).

Last edited:

Rel2018

So, after a hopperless month and a half I received my second v5 + 2 new batts ( I didn’t touch the first one until I got the new batteries )
First try with first hopper was A+++
No doubt the best vape when it works.

Now, I just need it to keep rockin for at least a year...:)

I have to say HL were really good with me on changing the 2 bodies I had and unlike many here I can say my CS experience since my first purchase on May 18 was really good with 1 day response max both in warranty msgs and support emails.

Best luck to all of us army of hoping hopperheads :)

Vaporific

Sitting in airport and had mini freak out. Thought I left my PFE at home. But everything here. 4 GHB2’s, regular mouthpiece and silicon top, PFE, hopper, charge cable, nitecore d4 Charger LOL. And my Mighty hahahahaha. Just in case. I’m ready.
Have fun and safe travels. I stopped using my silicone mouthpiece after wearing it out on my trip to Amsterdam shortly after getting my (pre-order) Ti. Since I don't have any glass and the fact I almost lost the mouthpiece a few times, I stopped using it and went 'native' without it. Of course, that was all before it went into RMA purgatory last month. Sigh... :peace:

I think the PFE is an engineering admission that the original mouthpiece is not as optimal as they had hoped - and I won't spend any additional money with HL except for batteries. Just my two cents... :)

Rel2018

By the way, anyone here aware of the rings or round stripes forming on the body and knows the reason ?

Last edited:
Rel2018,

Vaporific

By the way, anyone here aware of the round stripes forming on the body and knows the reason ?
Stripes? Our Hoppers are turning into a different genus? This is a symptom I've never heard of before. Great, another straw breaking the camel's back (animal pun intended).

Top Bottom