Discontinued The Grasshopper

mario

I just bought a SS hopper off of Reddit (great deal) so I can have a backup. I don't know why I'm doing this to myself. I guess I just can't get over how good the Hopper works when it is working. Still loving my Ti right now and is basically my daily driver, hasn't given me any problems.

elykpeace

exVASted
I just bought a SS hopper off of Reddit (great deal) so I can have a backup. I don't know why I'm doing this to myself. I guess I just can't get over how good the Hopper works when it is working. Still loving my Ti right now and is basically my daily driver, hasn't given me any problems.

My backup SS has been alright. The ti deff got hotter. And I get bliking lights occasionally

Been hoping to get a V5 body and fix my ti... Then just send in the body to be fixed so I can get a spare body for emergency .. we will see how long it takes

tylerj55

Is the grasshopper website down for anybody else? I just went to check on my status again and the website won’t load on any of my devices. It says there is no secure connection to the server.

tylerj55,

mario

I'm getting the same issue. It looks like a SSL cert expired and no one has refreshed it. Now was it an intentional drop or not is the question.

mario,

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I'm getting the same issue. It looks like a SSL cert expired and no one has refreshed it. Now was it an intentional drop or not is the question.
Works fine for me. The site that is and logging into my account, not my Ti that's in for RMA...:rant:

Vaporific,

mario

Yeah the site came back pretty fast, nothing for us to freak out over or read too deeply into...

mario,

tylerj55

Yeah the site came back pretty fast, nothing for us to freak out over or read too deeply into...
Yeah, I had a moment of fear due to the amount of people who have issues with their device, but I wasn't too concerned because I just plan on selling mine once I finally get it back lol.

tylerj55,

kilo

Here's a heads up for those who like using a j-hook. Mendocino Therapeutics, which manufactures the Lotus, is now selling a glass accessory called the Vaporscope. Got mine the other day and it's a very nice unit which I find works especially well with the GrassHopper. I've posted a longer review on the Lotus sub-forum.

mephisto

Have to share this, GH sent me a stainless hopper, brand new with 2 batteries and PFE. Funny (or not), I had already received the exact same order about 2 months ago......The flip side is that this unit sucks balls for performance, new battery will not completely vape 1 oven at 5. So much for V5 and improvements.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Hopper Labs is such a joke. Finally made a warranty request for the SS hopper I've been having problem after problem with and the guy actually has the nerve to ask me if I've tried a slower draw speed. (My problem is weak hits and flickering lights with a 100% known good battery)

If I wanted to take slow baby hits I wouldn't care about owning a grasshopper.

From their own website:
Hopper Labs said:
A 45 watt heating element means that there is always power to spare, no matter how aggressive the user.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Hopper Labs is such a joke. Finally made a warranty request for the SS hopper I've been having problem after problem with and the guy actually has the nerve to ask me if I've tried a slower draw speed. (My problem is weak hits and flickering lights with a 100% known good battery)

If I wanted to take slow baby hits I wouldn't care about owning a grasshopper.

From their own website:

Wow this is pretty insane.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Wow this is pretty insane.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Hopper Labs and reluctant star, the Grasshopper. You may now return to your regularly scheduled reality since everything with HL happens in an alternate universe. I’m convinced of this from everything I’ve read herein recently and several years ago - and the fact my pre-order Ti is in RMA for the first time. Not happy about it.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Welcome to the wonderful world of Hopper Labs and reluctant star, the Grasshopper. You may now return to your regularly scheduled reality since everything with HL happens in an alternate universe. I’m convinced of this from everything I’ve read herein recently and several years ago - and the fact my pre-order Ti is in RMA for the first time. Not happy about it.

Ok I'm going to open an RMA. Let's see what happens :-).

MoltenTiger

Well, my hopper stopped working this morning. Red light, then off. I took everything out, gave it a bit, and it's working. Still not that hot. Haven't decided what I'm gonna do yet.
as someone said earlier, I wish we could plug the things in to diagnose them. As it is, it's hard to say how 'smart' the vape is, the algorithms it uses are a complete mystery. There's not a lot of space for circuitry, but there's definitely some controlling going on.

I'll say that my current unit is not completely depleting plant matter (I've only ever experienced the Sublimator and hoppers that have broken achieve this).

My ABV from the Hopper I can put in the Sub and get decent tokes off large chambers. Not really the same as having a fresh bowl by some margin, but, there's plenty of go left in the herb.
It's definitely not my preference - I don't typically re-use ABV and don't really have much desire to, and it is pretty annoying having to discard or bother to store partially deplete material.

But, the thing still rips. I haven't had a sub yet and I'm pretty damn baked off of one and a half chambers of Super Silver Haze from the hopper. And the thing is, I can almost always get more hits from chambers when I empty them.

The GH isn't really supposed to be able to deplete material and I knew this going in at the beginning. It's supposed to reach 210 C which is well below optimal vaping for my material wishes, but it's a great temp for the real reason of vaping which is a health conscious high.

I'm very interested to see how my fresh units coming back perform. How consistent will they all perform, what colour ABV and if any differences, how is the effect. Because as is, I'm very happy with the GH, but it's performing like I expected and it's not Sublimating.

The GH can come close, and I've used units that have basically done it, and combusted too, but it's still not the same thing. It gives a solid heavy hit like a true bong hit, but it's more sedative and less euphoric I have found. It's still nice to be able to dial it in though - but to be honest that's a malfunction in itself and all the units that have done it will break sooner than the units like ours, I am guessing*

albeit, I am forgetting you had interim light issues. I have seen my friends same-age-as-mine HT unit do this, but it was fine when I was using it for a month not long ago.
I gave it a serious clean though. It's key to have optimal current running through any electric vape. Oxidation is a big enemy causing electrical resistance, humidity and pressure all effect it. In a mild climate, I've only had so many issues (and I can admit that several issues have been self inflicted, but still warrantied and back then it was only weeks -__-)

I recently read a thing about a Nitecore product addressing high current batteries

Our very first design was a battery-replaceable prototype. However according to our repeated tests, the contact components would be oxidised due to high current and its electrical resistance would be increased to 100 micro ohms even if we used the state-of-the-art contact part to minimise its original electrical resistance to 30 micro ohms. It would lead to the decrease of the effective input voltage and therefore the instability of the circuit. In the end, we decided to build in the battery by welding it into the flashlight.

https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/tm10k

Very relevant for hopper owners.

Back in the day, I recommended specifically and only Bostik Blu Tack for cleaning the back end threads. I read that tip from a flashlight/torch forum addressing titanium threading (still applies to all threads, esp. SS), oxidation and cleaning.
I personally recommend Bostik stuff, because that is the jam in Australia, it's a household item - and for good reason. All knock-off tacks that I have handled have been awfully inferior. Bostik make a product that is unlike anything I've seen anyone attempt. It is very good for cleaning the GH threads and it's what brought my friends GH back to life with when it was exhibiting potentially the same symptoms as newVaper420- but with obviously dirty threads. Not oxidised and powdered, but actually dirty. I'd certainly go as far as applying DeoxIT to the GH if the threads look clean and the performance is noticeably questionable

Last edited:

Hammahead

Ok, so now I'm buying a pack of original Bostick BluTack to see if it's really better than the german brand. As per my last posting here, the DeoxIt wipes did way much more for me than the german brand (not exactly an off-brand, made by Tesa, which is a Beiersdorf company) Tesa-tack did, but everything it takes to pamper Hoppy will be done.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

Ok, so now I'm buying a pack of original Bostick BluTack to see if it's really better than the german brand. As per my last posting here, the DeoxIt wipes did way much more for me than the german brand (not exactly an off-brand, made by Tesa, which is a Beiersdorf company) Tesa-tack did, but everything it takes to pamper Hoppy will be done.
haha :)

If it's German, it could well be better. If so do report.

The blue tack is good, it doesn't leave noticeable residue and has minor smell. It's non-toxic and super tacky. I've used mainly lots of cheap imitation products, so an expensive alternative might not be so lacking in quality for sure. But the blu stuff is great, it cleaned up the air holes perfectly, as well as front end and back threads plus the inner threads of the main body too

mario

I mean to be fair, I have been beating the hell out of my v5 body. Pocket all day, hits throughout the day. Full bowls at night, air and through water at 5. The thing is a monster. Hasn't skipped a beat yet. And I haven't combusted yet either, the abv is the exact colors I would expect. 5 gives a dark dark brown. 4 gives a mostly dark brown with some lighter shades. 3.5 gives me an even perfect brown same as my Mighty does at 185. So overall I'm happy at the moment. I have used Nitecore chargers and the charging cable. I've used the same battery for 2 weeks, and then did a week where I ran all the batteries dead and cycled. No blips no nothing. Just put battery in, fill bowl, click, hit, click, hit, repeat.

So there is SOMETHING right. I think @newVaper420 might have gotten was another v4 body. Because that is exactly what happened to my v4 bodies.

Top Bottom