Discontinued The Grasshopper

Mr. Me2

Do your batteries charge via included magnet charger or on a separate charger.. ive been just plugged in to magnet charger and only messing with the heat dial if I get blue Blinky lights after warm up. I'm guessing from constantly changing out batteries.
I use an external charger. Works great and keeps fresh batteries in rotation

MikeG7265

I use a nitecore charger exclusively.

Sometimes I wonder if the battery isn’t one of the main culprits that causes issues. It seems that even on brand new batteries after about the second bowl the performance drops off. Makes me wonder if the internal components get overworked when the battery is low. Personally, instead of chargers and cases and special colors, I wish they would focus on making a much more reliable battery.

Just my :2c:

MikeG7265,
Reactions: JCat

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Sometimes I wonder if the battery isn’t one of the main culprits that causes issues. It seems that even on brand new batteries after about the second bowl the performance drops off. Makes me wonder if the internal components get overworked when the battery is low. Personally, instead of chargers and cases and special colors, I wish they would focus on making a much more reliable battery.

Just my :2c:
I think it's a factor but not the main culprit. What I think is most likely (total uneducated guess by me) happening is people with flashing blue lights on a fresh battery have units with very small electrical shorts in them which kills the batteries much sooner than it should. All of my units that have had blue flashing lights while taking a draw had hot back ends and poor battery life. This blue Ti that I got last has NEVER had a hot back end (unless the battery is literally ~4 seconds from dying on an inhale) and the most solid blue lights of any Grasshopper I've had yet up until like 3.75-3.78v when it's about to die. Other than that ZERO flashes, and I've had infinitely better battery life than with any of my other hoppers. I've got nothing to back this up other than my experience but it really seems to me like the hoppers with flashing lights are ones not working as good as they should in the first place and two killing the batteries quicker making them work worse as time goes on.

nonbeliever

Of those who have received a Hopper with the new in-house parts, who has had theirs fail? I haven't seen anyone post here about RMAing an updated Hopper.

I’m a few weeks (close to 4 weeks now I think) in on my Ti RMA returned (someday my SS unit will come home). It’s been operating flawlessly actually, and I hammer it most of the day when I’m not sleeping. I’ve settled on using it around temp setting 4 most of the time (versus 5 before I RMAed it). If there is any complaint I have, it’s that I need more V2 batteries (they were supposed to send when they returned the RMA... maybe with the SS unit when it comes back?)

I couldn’t be happier with its performance since returned...

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Which charger do you use? I've got the Nitecore D2 and was thinking it would work, but the folks at Hopper told me they couldn't recommend that, which I guess is understandable.
They won't recommend any charger that isn't the one that it comes with. I was told I was having battery problems because I use a Nitecore D4 instead of the magnetic charger once by them. Turned out to be a faulty hopper (of course.)

ktmstick

I originally purchased an alpha ss, it worked well for a few months then was going straight to blue - no heat. I repaired with compressed air and ISO soak a few times then eventually I could not revive it. Being a vapefiend customer Caroline sent me a new beta body. It has worked perfectly ever since it has always had flashing lights and hot back-end even with a fresh battery with both bodies, so from this I presume the flashing lights are caused by conductivity in the back-end. I also have an alpha ti that has never once disappointed. There are multiple cases out there of original long term reliable hoppers, so it possible. Unfortunately there were just so many failures, I hope they are heading in the right direction now.
That was a repair I had received in late October that failed several months later. It seemed to be a simple mechanical fix in the clicker, and I was able to have it repaired and back to me in a week and a half because of the unique nature of the repair. Thanks to Hopper Labs for helping me out there! :tup:

That one is still working great, in fact it was extracting great the whole time, when I could get it to turn on and off. I must have lucked out with that batch of defective components.

It’s hard to talk about versions as there have been many small incremental changes along the way. I consider there to be three main versions of Grasshoppers, but there will be variation within each version as far as upgraded components, etc.

I consider the first version to be the version with the blue screen and white temp sensor. This is the longest produced variant, with a lot of variation in individual components between models. If it were software it would be the alpha version.

The second version has a white screen and blue temp sensor. It was produced from approximately July/August-November in 2017. This variant had notably increased airflow and most likely features slightly higher temp settings, at least for the lower numbers. Max temp is roughly the same. This is also the variant with the batch of defective components that HL is now producing in house. We could call this the beta version.

It seems the newest versions have white screens and white temp sensors. Unfortunately there isn’t much data about them yet. Perhaps this is finally version 1.0, a proper, fully realized product. It’s too early to tell.

I have an alpha Ti and a beta SS and to me the airflow is perfect in the beta units. With the stock mouthpiece it is better than the alpha with the PFE. I can get decent visible vapor even on temp one, three seems about the same maybe a little higher, four and five seem the same. Three is enough to make me cough sometimes, I always finish on temp five though.

Hopper Labs is far from perfect but they have been steadily and constantly improving every aspect of their business. A lot of us were unsure they would make it this far, including me, so I am actually very hopeful about their future.

We can’t fix past mistakes but I’m glad to see the increased transparency and producing more parts in house is great news. They have quite a hole to dig out of at the moment but it seems they are making good progress. I think the renewed focus on customer service will only be fully realized when the production line is caught up and they are not spending so much time on repairs and assembly.

Honestly, it blows my mind that this thing even exists right now, and I’ve had my SS for nearly two years. In my opinion it’s very telling that none of the established companies with vast resources have even come close to combining the form factor and performance of the Grasshopper. As far as I’m aware there’s not even anything on the horizon that looks like it can compete.
I think it's a factor but not the main culprit. What I think is most likely (total uneducated guess by me) happening is people with flashing blue lights on a fresh battery have units with very small electrical shorts in them which kills the batteries much sooner than it should. All of my units that have had blue flashing lights while taking a draw had hot back ends and poor battery life. This blue Ti that I got last has NEVER had a hot back end (unless the battery is literally ~4 seconds from dying on an inhale) and the most solid blue lights of any Grasshopper I've had yet up until like 3.75-3.78v when it's about to die. Other than that ZERO flashes, and I've had infinitely better battery life than with any of my other hoppers. I've got nothing to back this up other than my experience but it really seems to me like the hoppers with flashing lights are ones not working as good as they should in the first place and two killing the batteries quicker making them work worse as time goes on.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
I use both the Xtar 4 battery one and the single battery Xtar ANT one ... and sometimes the magnetic charger but ONLY when I am at my friends place LAN-ing and then I have it always plucked to my PC while playing and ready for that "joining a new server" break

I think all my hoppers have randomly died when just vaping on it and everything been normal and then DEAD ! DEAD I TELL YA DEAD !!!!!!!!!!!

but also it starts acting bit funky some weeks before :p

I am both out of hopper and out off weed ... these been trialing weeks for me :argh:

ominosity

Quick question for anyone who’s had a recent RMA returned via UPS. I received notification that my two RMA hoppers are repaired and on their way back to me here in the UK. When I clicked the link to track I noticed that UPS doesn’t list my full address in the info, they just have my city and postcode, no street or number listed. Just wondering is this normal or should I see my full address there? Thanks.

ominosity,
Reactions: Hjalmark

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Quick question for anyone who’s had a recent RMA returned via UPS. I received notification that my two RMA hoppers are repaired and on their way back to me here in the UK. When I clicked the link to track I noticed that UPS doesn’t list my full address in the info, they just have my city and postcode, no street or number listed. Just wondering is this normal or should I see my full address there? Thanks.

Could it have something to do with the new privacy laws for EU?

malsanti

This new GH with new parts, if I am buying one from a UK vendor should I ask how new it is?

There is a sale on with Namastevapes

malsanti,

Baron23

I am both out of hopper and out off weed ... these been trialing weeks for me

Wow, that's the definition of being SOL, mate!! whooooo, hope that changes soon.

So, last night I used my GH for that 2 am, I'm up in pain, session. Now, my OG Ti Bronze bit the dust finally (after 18 months) and went into RMA purgatory on 28 Feb...not to be seen since.

So, a buddy of mine who buys a lot of used vapes gave me a...wait for it...Bronze Ti!! No telling where in the revision cycle this unit is at but its not an early model.

Now, it runs cooler than my OG Ti and so I've been running it at 5 on the temp. I do note that the blue lights flicker on this unit even with a fully charged battery. With my OG, flickering blue meant that in a few seconds I would get flashing red and need a battery change.

However, flicker or not, the back end does not get warm at all.

When my OG Ti comes back (come home, Lassie...come home) I will then send this new unit back as I just shouldn't have to run at 5 and the AVB is not as dark/even as my OG. It works but its just a bit puny on power.

Cheers

mario

So I got my Green TI in the mail from the person I bought it from on Reddit. I think it has some issues, but nothing game breaking. I'm going to wait for my Ti from HL, and then I'll send this one in for RMA. The USB charger doesn't seem to work, which doesn't much matter, just annoying. The thing that does worry me, is that while it is on, the back end gets kind of hot. But then the minute I click it back off, it goes back to cool. Is this the hot end issue that everyone is talking about? And if so, is it dangerous? Do I need to send it in right away?

It so far is working just fine otherwise. I am getting great hits at 3.5 - 5. I will say at the higher temps I can't take more than a few second draw it is so hot at the tip, but I kind of figured that was normal? Anyways, any advice would be great. :)

mephisto

Welcome to FC @mario. Now that you are entering the realm of the grasshopper, may I recommend reading the 831 pages of this thread at your leisure. Its been a bumpy ride, but all of the current hopper owners are hoping for big improvements on all fronts.

elykpeace

exVASted
@mario If you have a separate charger try using that. So you know your batteries are charged. It takes a second for the grasshopper to blink red while using magnetic charger. It's faint but if you look you can see it blink red and then when it's done it blinks blue ....

Hot back end could be a dead battery or (my guess) the temp selector can be turned up and down and unscrew and reseat the backend and make sure it's snug. Also can try clicking on and off a few times. I have found if it takes longer then 5 seconds to heat up it's either needing a charge or the power is going to the backend and causing blue blinking lights(my case)
Doesn't really happen to mine unless I'm taking the battery out to charge or putting a new one in. So I just don't mess with the back end much .... Fingers crossed.

New pfe came in today and I must say the HT look is nice

mario

So I tested charging the batteries on my Intellicharger and they both charged fine, and like I said the device is functioning normally as far as I can tell and based on my reading. I will double check the charger, there is a chance that the batteries just didn't need to be charged?

johnnyCanuck

Anyone kind enough to quickly answer which email address Hopper Labs will respond to these days? Had confirmation that they received my unit on Jan 10/18. Nothing else so far. Reading some March RMAs are being shipped back to owners. Thought it’s time to contact them.

Thanks

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Anyone kind enough to quickly answer which email address Hopper Labs will respond to these days? Had confirmation that they received my unit on Jan 10/18. Nothing else so far. Reading some March RMAs are being shipped back to owners. Thought it’s time to contact them.

Thanks

My beginning of February RMA, they told me to check back in 3 weeks.

newVaper420,
Reactions: Hjalmark
Top Bottom