Discontinued The Grasshopper

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
I've never noticed that before...
That sounds weird, are you holding the PFE when it does this? Must be grounding somehow?

My PFE gets real hot with general use, hard to touch after killing a bowl. But I've never noticed any other heat source at the front, just the heater

Just holding the body .. I think because I noticed this by just holding the hopper itself

Dont think just that is enough to heat the PFE but it sure does sting like hell when I shock myself

Took me couple of weeks to realize what was happening, first I though the front end was just getting super hot super fast

Rel2018

Trying to understand if this has something to do with their previous manufacturer faulty production or is it what I should expect with my post-may order...

Rel2018,

MoltenTiger

Trying to understand if this has something to do with their previous manufacturer faulty production or is it what I should expect with my post-may order...
I guess it's possible, but I'd say it's unlikely.

The component in question was the 3D printed heater.
The original design had a temp sensor mounted at the exposed end of the heater, and HL's in house heater has a different temp sensor elsewhere. I'd guess that the OEM wouldn't comply with the design changes.. very hard to know the ins and outs of it as it's state of the art production. It's likely in the few years HL has been running there has been major improvements in the machines available to laser sinter... perhaps the heater OEM couldn't adopt new tech, while HL could start on it.

With the arcing, I'm a little confused though, @Hjalmark says he had a "tiny scratch cap that been created through use" and that's where it was producing plasma. Now that is a powerful vape that does that... totally overkill to have something with a hotter temp than the surface of the sun in a vape

EDIT: I'm not seeing any sparks, arcing or noticing anything out of the ordinary with my units front end

Last edited:

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
I guess it's possible, but I'd say it's unlikely.

The component in question was the 3D printed heater.
The original design had a temp sensor mounted at the exposed end of the heater, and HL's in house heater has a different temp sensor elsewhere. I'd guess that the OEM wouldn't comply with the design changes.. very hard to know the ins and outs of it as it's state of the art production. It's likely in the few years HL has been running there have been major improvements in the machines available to laser sinter... perhaps the heater OEM couldn't adopt new tech, while HL could start on it.

With the arcing, I'm a little confused though, @Hjalmark says he had a "tiny scratch cap that been created through use" and that's where it was producing plasma. Now that is a powerful vape that does that... totally overkill to have something with a hotter temp than the surface of the sun in a vape

Hahaha that's hopper for you, overkill in every way, but the scratches/dents at the bottom of the PFE where it meets the hopper body, that part doesn't line up perfectly and there I got 0,01 mm gaps that create the plasma :D

MoltenTiger

Hahaha that's hopper for you, overkill in every way, but the scratches/dents at the bottom of the PFE where it meets the hopper body, that part doesn't line up perfectly and there I got 0,01 mm gaps that create the plasma :D
alright, I just tried with a partially unscrewed PFE - no dice, still no sparks..
Furthermore, twisting the PFE on (tight) and off (loose) had no effect on the hoppers clicking sound, I don't think there is any electrical interaction happening. It seems weird that any could be.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
alright, I just tried with a partially unscrewed PFE - no dice, still no sparks..
Furthermore, twisting the PFE on (tight) and off (loose) had no effect on the hoppers clicking sound, I don't think there is any electrical interaction happening. It seems weird that any could be.
Hehe well maybe that is the reason why mine is now in for repairs even though that problem existed for weeks before it finally died but lets see if it still happens when I get it back and I can film it for proof ... hope no one here thinks I am just shit talking the hopper because I am a bigger fanboyman then YOU WILL EVER BE !!!!

HOPPER4LIFE is my new neck tattoo (that might be a lie though)

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Sent an email to support asking to cancel my blue ti order unless they can get it out this week. Was told "the next couple of weeks" 2 weeks ago and I'm getting pretty tired of waiting for my vape that was supposed to ship in May.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
That's me done with the grasshopper, i have sent back 18 hoppers for repair and now after 48 hours my 19th repair got so hot smoke came out the little vent holes, and that's with all the new components. Gutted but I must move on..

I'm sorry to hear this bro :-(. I would do the same.

What even comes close? What's a good replacement for the Grasshopper? The Tubo Evic? The Milaana? I just don't know. I know the Ghost failed to live up to the hype.

Well I received my February RMA back today finally. I was off today and was able to catch the postman. I have owned it for 18 months or so and it has rarely worked. My expectations are low and I think the company is rather shady. However, I used it extensively today and it performed magnificently. It is a ti unit that I use with a heat treated ti PFE. The front end gets very hot and always has. I read somewhere someone calling people with such complaints PUSSY LIPS. Well I can take hot but no way I can put this to my lips. I consider that normal Grasshopper behaviour but it has not changed with the upgrades. The vapor is dense and tasty though. Extraction is fast. ABV perfect. Lights normal. Started first time, every time. Also mine was combusting prior to RMA but today on 5 it did not combust. Just super dense milk. Perhaps there is hope but time will tell.

Robob

Veteran Vaporist
Update on my newly updated hopper, it is still working on high temps. To my mind it isn't making as dense of clouds as it did pre-rma but it was so long ago I may just be forgetting. (I did start using my FF2 for concentrates only recently whoo boy its like a new vape)

My only complaints seem to be back-end related, the switch seems to be finicky and when changing temps I still see the unit power on randomly which is worrisome, but again more testing required.

No sparks or really hot spots, my guess on that would be the threads not making good contact and its like touching positive and negative together and you get instant heat with that much juice in the batteries.
Or it could be something to do with this new heat sensing using Pulse With Modulation or something along those lines not being calibrated correctly.

I am also slightly worried that I never got a response to cancel my charger/case pre order for 2 emails. Yet then I go and email asking for an update on my RMA last week and get that response within a day, so they are watching emails if not answering them all for sure.

Top Bottom