Discontinued The Grasshopper

JCat

Accessory Maker
Is it a good idea to not finish a load and leave material in your gh for like... 2 weeks? Any dangers to that?

I don't think it's a problem (as long as it's turned off).
If you want to keep a clean chamber without having to put in too much elbow grease, then this approach wouldn't be recommended though ...

MoltenTiger

i've never really had a tasty vape. would this be one to get?
If all you're chasing is flavour there are better options.

The GH will be the tastiest vape you've tried if, like it was for me coming from the EQ, MFLB, Pax, and other random ones that I scarcely used long ago, the previous vapes weren't very tasty.

The GH is still my tastiest vape, and it has it's moments where it causes me to smack my lips and literally say 'yum' whilst I sit stunned in bliss from a huge super tasty cloud. D-Limonene please and thank you.

The disadvantage of a tasty vape is that some herb tastes weird.
I got some Incredible Hulk once, which was amazing quality flower, but it tasted strange. I hated vaping it, and it gave me a super strong paranoid high. The strain apparently has great genetics, but for whatever reason this sample tasted off and the taste really lingered. I've also had a local bag of a strain called Cat Piss, and it for sure had a bit of a stench to it too. Neither were awful, but far from desirable flavours for me.

I now have a Sublimator (EQ level flavour - average), DynaVap (a bit better, but not GH level).

I am going to purchase a WoodScents log in the next few months, just as a desktop to use with my full glass collection (Sub is dangerous and I sold my EQ) and to appease NonaVong VAS and so I can try the Ti VC, too.
I think that the WS might be tastier than the GH, just a hunch. I'd like any insight if anyone has any..
Flavour's another choice reason I want one.

The first time I tried the Mighty, I was disappointed by how tasty it was. Before then, I thought the GH flavour was perfect.
The GH runs out of flavour pretty quick, and the result is an intense savoury flavour.

If you're expecting sweet, savoury is nasty.
If you use some sommelier skill though, I've noted some interesting tones in what could easily be considered awful by snobby FireFly 2 users.

The FF2 is said to have flavour as it's only/best aspect by many, I think it's potentially underrated or just too difficult to use perhaps. They get good reviews, like from VaporizerWizard. Could be worth looking at, but I hear the app for it is broken and has been for a couple of months..

But, to match and beat the GH potency and flavour wise, and portably, I'd suggest a Milaana or the Tubo Evic.
Also, the RBT Splinter that's soon to be released might blur the stealth differences from pen to wooden chunk.

What the GH is, is a very small, properly portable, powerful vape. It's best used attached to something for a cooler vapour path (the heat changes the flavours experienced, and also just makes it difficult to appreciate at all for some).
When they're functioning properly, they offer great cloud density at low temps, which is exactly what is best for vaping for flavour and effect.

They're not very reliable, but if you have other vapes it's not a huge concern.. but it's definitely something to consider. It's also worth considering that it's definitely not the peak of flavour town, though it holds its own fairly well.

Some mention the SS GH gives off flavour, I've only experienced this after cleaning a PFE with PBW (which causes oxidation). Using it right now (freshly cleaned with isopropyl), I can't taste anything but my flower.

Also the Grasshopper I'm using isn't functioning properly, but as a result it's extra tasty and incapable of heavily toasting (which can taste quite bad).
It's a funny vape, but I think it's just a super portable, stealthy, potent, easy to use, instant on vape. It gets good ticks for it's vapour profile, but it does go through phases. For the best flavour, the vapour really needs to be cooled, straight from the mouthpiece is relatively quite harsh.
Attach a whip, and it outclasses the EQ by a significant margin IMO.

Gees I create some walls of text sometimes.... sorry ya'll hope it's useful :myday:

almost there

well whatever is wrong with my hopper is described as a "unique failure" whatever that means. The parts are being swapped out and they're keeping whatever is wrong for further analysis. Apparently this unique issue hasn't been caught in production or the previous other 2 RMA's and still I'm gonna get a repaired hopper instead of just swapping it out and giving me a fully functioning unit finally. Unreal!!! I can't wait for the day another stealth unit is released, I can deal with the problems with the vape but the CS just fustrates the hell out of me.

Last edited:

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Well, that was short lived. I just got my hopper back last week and it's already broken. Not getting hot again. LOL.

Just sent the warranty message.

Thankfully, got the Mighty going. I need to get my Cloud Evo fixed. But I digress.

When the Hopper works, it's choice. But if I can't use it as a daily driver (which it seems not), then this may be a losing proposition.

I was informed that I should try to use compressed air to blow it out. I'll give that a shot, and if not, I'll send it back in

Baron23

Well, that was short lived. I just got my hopper back last week and it's already broken. Not getting hot again. LOL.

Just sent the warranty message.

Thankfully, got the Mighty going. I need to get my Cloud Evo fixed. But I digress.

When the Hopper works, it's choice. But if I can't use it as a daily driver (which it seems not), then this may be a losing proposition.

I was informed that I should try to use compressed air to blow it out. I'll give that a shot, and if not, I'll send it back in
We have been seeing this type of BS for almost two years now? Their failure to improve test-ability and fault isolation and their inability to improve robustness and reliability are at this point inexcusable.

Its beyond belief that they are still shipping back 'repaired' RMA'd units that fail immediately or shortly thereafter.

I just don't get WTF they are doing and they don't engage directly with the community at all.

While my GH has been failure free for over a year, I still can't recommend this vape as you story is just far too common.

Cheers and I'm sorry about your GH.

almost there

Sorry @almost there and @newVaper420. Incredibly frustrating.

I can't believe that FC and Reddit users are the only folks experiencing this amount of failures.

Did they send you both prepaid shipping labels?
nope:nope:. The fact that they need to further analyze the faulty parts means that I got a fucked up unit from the start. So despite paying and never receiving a working unit, the expense of 3 RMA's not to mention all the time wasted, all they'll do is swap out the parts instead of giving me a new unit.

Last edited:

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Hi
I just realized I DON'T have to hit fast & hard at all, quite the contrary as some of you told me after my last post here. I had a slow pull and I've seen the clouds for the first time with this vape!
Other than being instant vapor it can hit pretty hard. I only got wispy hits until now but I still liked it for morning instant vapor.

I still follow the advice to continue hitting a few seconds after switching off the unit.
Is there any other trick to keep an healthy unit?
I really hope to be able to babysit my GH.
If hitting the hopper harder gives you less dense vapor there is something wrong with your hopper. 100%.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Got my SS hopper back today ... took 5 weeks to service it (or 5 weeks less 4 days since that's the time it took to get from me to them). It's not fixed at all. They replaced the insides of the body looks like since it's all new and shiny in the chamber, however, crazy flashing blue lights and super weak performance. <5 seconds into a draw the heater seems to start giving up and the vapour starts to get wispy. (ie. just when the load is heated, the GH heater decides to stop outputting much heat, so can't really whitewall anything properly ... can translucently whitewall a bubbler ... like skim milk diluted with 80% water ...)

Brutal. 2/3 of the times I've gotten this SS hopper back it's not fixed at all (I haven't gone back and verified that # exactly ... could be less could be more, but at any rate it's very, very poor)

So now even if HL pays for the shipping back, what does that mean ... I'll have been without it for >10 weeks? How is that acceptable? Canada Post, USPS, UPS, and HL have had my Hopper a lot more than I have in the last 8 months (back a total of 6 times to-date I believe w/ an avg turn-around time of 4 weeks ... so that extrapolates to 24/34 weeks of ownership where CP/USPS/UPS/HL have had it instead of me ... ie. 71% !!!!!!! ... wow! Luckily my Ti Hopper has faired quite a bit better ... actually must be about the opposite since I've pretty much always had 1 working (somewhat) hopper but never had 2 ... it's hard to see the positives at times though when you have stats like this :(

Edit: If I didn't really need a hard hitting, pocketable, instantaneous portable I'd be selling my Hoppers and buying a Floperpot w/ all the accessories so I could be having fun as opposed to repeatedly bashing my head against a brick wall.

Get ready, head down, get set, GO! (run at brick wall). When head makes contact and one falls, if still able to stand back up, do so and repeat. Keep repeating in perpetuity. (owning a Hopper is just slightly more painful than this)

Last edited:

disGRUNTled

Have not used the Hopper in a while , so its getting a run today w/ some Gorilla Glue #4.Grind mode on Youtube.
KXLV7JY.jpg

CbF0Iyv.jpg

HJv6j9g.jpg

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Sorry @almost there and @newVaper420. Incredibly frustrating.

I can't believe that FC and Reddit users are the only folks experiencing this amount of failures.

Did they send you both prepaid shipping labels?

No pre-paid shipping label on the first return, but they were going to send me on this one :-)... See below...

We have been seeing this type of BS for almost two years now? Their failure to improve test-ability and fault isolation and their inability to improve robustness and reliability are at this point inexcusable.

Its beyond belief that they are still shipping back 'repaired' RMA'd units that fail immediately or shortly thereafter.

I just don't get WTF they are doing and they don't engage directly with the community at all.

While my GH has been failure free for over a year, I still can't recommend this vape as you story is just far too common.

Cheers and I'm sorry about your GH.

WELP I got good news!!! :-) They told me to use compressed air, and bam, I went to the local computer store, got some "Ultra Duster", and sprayed the shit out of it. And bam, it started working.

Which now, leads me to believe that when I sent it in last week, nothing was actually wrong except this issue which would explain why my backend nor body was changed.

Anyhow, I'm not sure why they didn't suggest this to me last time it broke.

But this solution definitely worked. I just didn't like that the spray said something like contains bitterants. But whatev's. Stupid federal government. LOL.

biohacker

@JCat sorry to hear bro, so sorry. Now you really have me second guessing my decision, especially after spending some cash on the accessories! :hmm:

Please do keep us posted as to whether they will honour their doa rma reddit statement, and if they send you a new gh or parts.

i've never really had a tasty vape. would this be one to get?

You don't think that your Lotus is one of the best tasting vapes out there? :shrug:

Also the Grasshopper I'm using isn't functioning properly, but as a result it's extra tasty and incapable of heavily toasting (which can taste quite bad).

I've had GH's that seemed to over roast on 5 and tasted bad. But others on 5 have tasted amazing. All depends on the temp calibration, how much buildup has occurred that could affect airflow, and your draw speed/technique.

If hitting the hopper harder gives you less dense vapor there is something wrong with your hopper. 100%.

Not necessarily. Since you own some convection vapes, you know that a quick draw at the start won't milk up your glass very fast. He's realized that starting slow and building up is the way to go. I had to re-learn this lesson myself after some RMA's when the vapour gunk gets cleaned because the airflow opens right up and i've really had to be cognizant of slowing my draw. :2c:

Mr Mellish

Not only are HL paying shipping both ways for DOA purchases and RMA's, but apparently for quite some time now are shipping parts out first before having to ship the bad part back. This was a practice they did for a while, then stopped, but now appear to have started up again. Perhaps it's for USA only though?

Just picked up the used SS in the classifieds. Also did some shopping at PlanetVape and picked up the herbalizer female WPA (thanks @JCat !), their last battery lol, PFE, and 5 silicone mouthpieces (since they actually have stock!). Just need to source some more batteries and I should be set. Really keeping my fingers crossed for proper performance so I can buy GH SS #2 too!

I fully expect to RMA once per month...but that's my threshold.

Hmmm... HL neither paid for my shipment nor sent parts. They received my GH’s on 10/16 and reported they were in testing on 10/18. Today, they shipped my repaired GH’s.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
@JCat sorry to hear bro, so sorry. Now you really have me second guessing my decision, especially after spending some cash on the accessories! :hmm:

Please do keep us posted as to whether they will honour their doa rma reddit statement, and if they send you a new gh or parts.

You don't think that your Lotus is one of the best tasting vapes out there? :shrug:

I've had GH's that seemed to over roast on 5 and tasted bad. But others on 5 have tasted amazing. All depends on the temp calibration, how much buildup has occurred that could affect airflow, and your draw speed/technique.

Not necessarily. Since you own some convection vapes, you know that a quick draw at the start won't milk up your glass very fast. He's realized that starting slow and building up is the way to go. I had to re-learn this lesson myself after some RMA's when the vapour gunk gets cleaned because the airflow opens right up and i've really had to be cognizant of slowing my draw. :2c:
The grasshopper is different than other convection vapes though. I had multiple units and the harder I drew the more vapor I got. When it first came out one of the selling points was that you can't over power the heater - and on a perfecty working unit you absolutely shouldn't be able to. I've got iron lungs and I could rip it as hard and long as I wanted and the vapor would just keep pouring out until there was nothing left.

biohacker

I've got iron lungs and I could rip it as hard and long as I wanted and the vapor would just keep pouring out until there was nothing left.

So you're saying that you can pull as hard as you want right from the start of your hit and vapour would just start pouring, or would take some time to build? Not doubting, but i've had a lot of these grasshoppers and I have 7.5L swimmer's lungs as well, but like most convection devices, I need to start my pull slower in order for the biomass to heat up....but once that milk starts THEN I could pull as hard as I want. I also have videos posted demonstrating this. But perhaps it's because my lung capacity is so massive that I need to be super cognizant of how hard I draw? Then again, there have been lots of reports of "wispy" vapour, and I sometimes wonder if it's just technique related. Grind consistency could be a big factor here as well.

@Cheesequake would you be kind enough to post a video of you pulling on your gh as hard as you can from the start on temp 5, to illustrate? Or even just link an example so I can better grasp this picture? This is something I don't think i've seen yet TBH.

Also, curious - how is the GH different from other convection vapes? Because it's not 100% convection? :shrug:

Hmmm... HL neither paid for my shipment nor sent parts

Did your GH die within 2 weeks of receiving it?

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
So you're saying that you can pull as hard as you want right from the start of your hit and vapour would just start pouring, or would take some time to build?
No and that isn't what anyone was talking about as far as I know. Of course a convection vape is going to need time to build up heat within the material and start vaping, but you can start pulling hard on the grasshopper and continue to pull as hard as you want throughout the entire hit without over powering the heater. And it's different from other convection vapes because I've never seen another convection vape that allows you to rip as hard as you want to from start to finish with zero regulation except maybe the CFV to an extent.

@Cheesequake would you be kind enough to post a video of you pulling on your gh as hard as you can from the start on temp 5, to illustrate? Or even just link an example so I can better grasp this picture? This is something I don't think i've seen yet TBH.

Here's a video from when I had the GH. Got sick of sending them in for replacement every 2 weeks though so I sold it long ago. All those replacements gave me a chance to try multiple units though, and when they worked they all performed basically the same and I couldn't overpower the heater.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
It's also been my experience that a couple (or a few) short 'primer' hits - be they fast or slow, and I don't bother inhaling - are needed to get things going with a Hopper. Then, once vapor production begins, I can pull hard as I want, being much more careful so's not to get coughing from the amount of output! My typical range of temp use has been about 3.8 on up to 5. I'm partial to pairing with water, since I do like me some big hits...

My practice has also been* to use a freshly charged battery at beginning of every session, which, most typically, is only one chamber's worth for me. For a second chamber I might not swap battery, but I've found much better/consistent results with fresh ones. Mostly, if I'm at home, I just pop it on the o.e.m charger after every use so I don't wind up swapping batts. very often. As a rule, I'd rather not be disappointed, so I pay a lot of attention to this. And I also keep a second Hopper at the ready...

* Going from fading memory here, as my forced break has now gone on for an excruciating 6 months.
I live vicariously through all the good folks here on FC. :shrug:

biohacker

And it's different from other convection vapes because I've never seen another convection vape that allows you to rip as hard as you want to from start to finish with zero regulation

Did you find the same with the PFE? I always thought it was due to airflow restriction until my RMA's came back with super open airflow. That's when I REALLY had to dial down my draw at the start.

Got sick of sending them in for replacement every 2 weeks though so I sold it long ago.

Ugh, every 2 weeks is beyond my threshold. I really hope i'm not joining you (again). :hmm: But I sincerely do empathize.

Then, once vapor production begins, I can pull hard as I want

This is all that I was trying to say.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Just wondering if it would make any difference in "overpowering" the heater or being able to rip it full speed since the airflow is opened up so much more. Probably even more sensitive at the start of the draw. Should have my PFE to test out hopefully today.
With a properly working hopper, you don't have to regulate your draw. With my properly working Ti hopper (or for the <30% of the time my SS hopper has worked), I can pull as hard as I want and the vapour will keep coming until the material runs out. With my current SS hopper, if I start out with a super, super, super light draw, I can start to milk it, but 5 seconds in (give or take), whether I increase my draw speed or leave it crazy slow or anywhere in between, the vapour starts to give up and get wispy.

With a properly working hopper, if you start out slow and work up from there, you do get best results and whitewall faster, but even if you start fast, if you keep going, it gets there and does fully whitewall my pieces. (especially with material in the >25% THC range ... although works very well with my Super Lemon Haze that's around 16% too and tastes amazing!)

Edit: I've exclusively used PFE's since they were released.

Edit 2: @biohacker ... I don't know if I have 7.5L swimmer's lungs ... but I can hold my breath for 2 minutes under water ... 1 minute isn't even an effort (I only start to really feel it around the 1.5 minute mark)

Last edited:

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Ok....... update. Grasshopper still working incredible after the canned air spray. Just did a clean this morning again, and everything is good.

Also, I'm ashamed to admit this, but this morning, I grabbed the hopper, packed it, and then was looking for the PFE... Guess what? I packed it in the PFE. LMAO....

Had to empty it, clean the PFE and try again LMAO!!! :-)

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Ok....... update. Grasshopper still working incredible after the canned air spray. Just did a clean this morning again, and everything is good.

Also, I'm ashamed to admit this, but this morning, I grabbed the hopper, packed it, and then was looking for the PFE... Guess what? I packed it in the PFE. LMAO....

Had to empty it, clean the PFE and try again LMAO!!! :-)
Ahaha yeah that was like the first thing I did using the hopper stoned with the new PFE

Or put the clicker in my mouth .. Classic

Top Bottom