Discontinued The Grasshopper

snaffle

hi @btka ! I am thinking in a GH, because i need a vape for take some strong but unnoticed puffs when i'm not at home...I own also a FF2, I like it, but it needs to stir material every 2 puffs, not a good thing when you are wherever you are (not at home)...I own also a pax 1 that I use when i 'm out, but being a conduction one it is not 'on demand', i have to finish the bowl, and when it is impossible means wasting material...not exactly what i need. Not considering any buthan torch vapes, GH seems what I'm looking for...except for all his issues. How about yours? it works well? TI or SS? where have you bought your GH in europe? I have also thought about buying a used GH from ebay, but to buy in USA means import costs, higher cost (and longer waiting times) regarding eventual RMA + shipping back. Buying in europe would mean simpler RMAs but maybe would also mean older unsold units...what do you think?

PS what about hit's flavour comparing GH to FP?

I think the Grasshopper would be perfect for you situation, as long as you don't rely on it if you need to vaporize (but if not vaping if it occasionally fails is not a problem). You're right, you should definitely get one from a retailer that will handle returns / repairs for you, and is more local (EU). There are a few retailers that do that, at least Vapefiend and Verdampftnochmal do.

I haven't used the FP, but I'd say the flavor of the GH is pretty good, but not amazing, partly because the vapor is a bit hot to taste as much, at least for me. But yes, I have used it quite a lot as you describe, walking about in places that it wouldn't be good for others to know about, and it is great for that, also because it is so efficient and fast to use all that's in the chamber.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
A lot of things would legally have to be different here, but no way...
italian customs always make you pay vat for any good (>10EUR), it happens to me so many times. they don't mind if it is used or a return. Last time it happened to me was only 15 days ago.

How many times have you sent back to Hopper Labs your GH? TI or SS?
2 broke and I broken 1 by dropping it hard on concrete

Otherwise it survives drops pretty good

Also those were all the same SS hopper, think reliability is not so different between models, more to do with luck and habits

Like leaving hopper in bongs between hits allowing the water to push hot air back into heater, or leaving vaped bud in the unit or really fined grind that falls into heater or other shit that gets into air intakes ... rotating temp dial with it fully screwed down so the whole battery moves and rubs away conductive material on battery plus terminal?

Not sure about the last one or actually any of the causes for failures

Except the bong one .. I am "Alex Jones" serious about that part
8a8.gif

Mr Mellish

Finally got to see my repaired Hoppers that were delivered last week. I'm annoyed about several things:

- The label clearly said Hopper Labs on it. Good news/bad news--the family member who got the package is the only one that might sympathize with me but is also the only one who might be aware of who Hopper Labs is.
- The clip on my SS was tight against the body when I returned it. The clips had never been used for their normal purpose. Now the clip is a good 1/8 inch away from the body and feels flimsy.

I was surprised that they returned the Hoppers with the batteries installed; I thought you were supposed to ship them separately. No chance to try the little fellas out yet but my first impression is largely negative.

johnnyCanuck

Sometimes taking out the screen in the oven and cleaning underneath can fix that problem. Mine had that issue and doing that fixed it. Since then mine has been working, and working really well. I even get clouds on the first mark on the dial.

I finally managed to get that screen off with a lot of elbow grease. Cleaned the hopper with iso, took a blow dryer to it. IT TOTALLY WORKS NOW!!!!! I owe you a huge Thank You!!!

Had a hell of a time putting the screen back in. Bent as F#%k but still covers the entirety of the bottom end.

I think I’m going to pinch small nugs instead of grinding material. Don’t want anything getting trapped under it!

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
I finally managed to get that screen off with a lot of elbow grease. Cleaned the hopper with iso, took a blow dryer to it. IT TOTALLY WORKS NOW!!!!! I owe you a huge Thank You!!!

Had a hell of a time putting the screen back in. Bent as F#%k but still covers the entirety of the bottom end.

I think I’m going to pinch small nugs instead of grinding material. Don’t want anything getting trapped under it!
You're welcome I'm glad I could help. What I did it align it in a way that the holes from the screen cross with the holes of the oven, allowing less material to get in there. I had noticed that it was in there with the holes aligned perfectly onto each other and it was allowing AVB to get in there. It should be easier to take it out once again now that you've done it once.

Mr Mellish

I've had a chance for a trial run of the SS and the Ti. Tried both at each notch in the dial, with most of the action taking place on the high-end.

Both units heat up very quickly (less than 3 seconds).

The SS now comes in at "Pretty Goddamn Hot". This is less than optimal but is well below the current maximum level of "Jethuth Kwitht, Do I Thmell Bacon?," which is where it was prior to the RMA.

The Ti comes in at "Fuck, that's hot." Not too bad at all.

Flavor was good at levels 1, 2, 3 but is gone by 4, 5. Hey, pace yourself, for christssake (for fun parallel, see the sex education skit from Monty Python's Meaning of Life -- "You don't have to go leaping straight for the @@@@@@@@ like a bull at a gate.")! Get a little flavor before diving in. Effect was quite noticeable at 4, 5.

I'm so happy to have these two arrows back in my quiver!

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
Left my Grasshopper out in the cold for like 45 minutes. Turned it on and straight to red. Tried again. And again. All red. Decided to check the battery charge and drummmm rolllllll it was dead. Switched batteries and drummmm rollllll it worked.

No worries here.

kbrown5523

Hopping in Washington
The SS now comes in at "Pretty Goddamn Hot". This is less than optimal but is well below the current maximum level of "Jethuth Kwitht, Do I Thmell Bacon?," which is where it was prior to the RMA.
OMG!! You had me rolling on the floor laughing with this one!! :rofl: I needed that as I'm still waiting for them to show that they've even received my hoppers back, it's been a week and it's only going from Washington state to Colorado.

Mr Mellish

OMG!! You had me rolling on the floor laughing with this one!! :rofl: I needed that as I'm still waiting for them to show that they've even received my hoppers back, it's been a week and it's only going from Washington state to Colorado.

Thanks!

In my case, the USPS showed that HL received the shipment 2-3 days before it was acknowledged in their RMA system. Did you get a tracking number you can use to confirm the physical receipt?

kbrown5523

Hopping in Washington
Thanks!

In my case, the USPS showed that HL received the shipment 2-3 days before it was acknowledged in their RMA system. Did you get a tracking number you can use to confirm the physical receipt?
I just checked and they're showing it received now. I always figure they get it a few days before they show they do. I did take note that my first contact with them about this batch of RMA's started back on Oct. 2nd. I am seriously missing my Hoppers, but super thankful that at least I'm in the U.S.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I just checked and they're showing it received now. I always figure they get it a few days before they show they do. I did take note that my first contact with them about this batch of RMA's started back on Oct. 2nd. I am seriously missing my Hoppers, but super thankful that at least I'm in the U.S.
My hopper was gone a total of three weeks. It stayed in testing status for at least 12 days. I live in wa state and I had a tracking number when it was sent back. Shipping was really quick. I say the squeaky wheel gets greased. Have you emailed HL recently? Sorry if I missed it if you have already done so.

I have been happy so far with the repairs. Still hopping along after a month or so.

Last edited:

Robob

Veteran Vaporist
I also took advantage of the HW sale. got myself TI hopper with PFE. It was a hard choice between this and the FW4 but the sale tipped the scale towards the GH being first to acquire then the FW will be next!
Anyone use the PFE native with no water? wondering how bad it will be for dry use on the go.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
I also took advantage of the HW sale. got myself TI hopper with PFE. It was a hard choice between this and the FW4 but the sale tipped the scale towards the GH being first to acquire then the FW will be next!
Anyone use the PFE native with no water? wondering how bad it will be for dry use on the go.
I find it to be about the same, maybe little more diffused but not much, but I love the PFE because it let's me fit Pipey the pipe on the hopper

http://www.hornet420.com/hornet-met...le-monkey-pipe-with-storage-case-p603080.html

Great to open up for all the 14mm options that are out there

snaffle

Welcome to the club :)

Yes, I tend to. It's good, and works well, but you'll need to let it cool for a bit (30-60 seconds, say) after a big hit or two. Which is different to the stock mouthpiece, which (so long as you don't touch the tapered part with your lips) you can just keep using.

That said, as was mentioned on here recently, there does seem to be some variability between the temperatures that different Grasshoppers put out, so you'll have to see how your device works. But what I've described is typical.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
I was hitting my TI hopper last night while walking the kids around for trick or treat. This unit is so stealthy that no one knows what you are doing !
Welcome @brewbeer

Please be my friend because I am always thirsty for some beer :D

Also I am working on starting at home, only brewed in brewing class and uhh like book club but instead of books we brew

Brrreeewwwwww

Its a funny word

guyonthecouch

That said, as was mentioned on here recently, there does seem to be some variability between the temperatures that different Grasshoppers put out, so you'll have to see how your device works. But what I've described is typical.

I've also noticed slight variability between PFEs. Haven't figured out the rhyme or reason for this yet as I have two plain Ti PFEs that have different heat outputs when used natively. My guess would be how well threads connect may be a factor. Could be generational as my colour Ti pfe(purchased most recently, 2 weeks ago) stays cool longest and cools down the fastest. Or I could be making this all up in my head haha.

Robob

Veteran Vaporist
How does everyone here charge their GH batteries? Im thinking about pre-ordering the battery charger from GH labs too but I know if they say it will ship in Dec 17' it may be march 18' before I see it.
Is anyone using Nitecore or other chargers with GH batteries or just playing it safe and using the GH internal charger?

Mr. Me2

How does everyone here charge their GH batteries? Im thinking about pre-ordering the battery charger from GH labs too but I know if they say it will ship in Dec 17' it may be march 18' before I see it.
Is anyone using Nitecore or other chargers with GH batteries or just playing it safe and using the GH internal charger?
I use the Nightcore exclusively. Inexpensive and works great.

Mr Mellish

I’ve only ever used the Nightcore D2.

Top Bottom