Discontinued The Grasshopper

nonbeliever

Man I hate that. I always explain how to hit the Hopper (to the same people sometimes), and I feel like a an overprotective father whenever I pass it to someone but they have to finish their story, and I'm like, "Hit it now hit it now HIT IT NOW!" :doh:

I always hand it off turned off, and since I use it pretty much on setting 5, I always warn them to turn it off after counting to 5 and draw a bit longer. Otherwise, massive hit, and the next person listens after watching the hackathon. :ko:

snaffle

Personal vaporization let's everyone consume at their own pace. When you got to a bar you don't by one beer for 5 people to share right? When I am in situations where everyone has their own vape, grasshopper or otherwise but among my friends it's usually a grasshopper as no other vape has caught on in my circle, it's really nice to have everyone consume at their own pace, the game or conversation doesn't get interrupted, the sativa heads can have their strains and stay awake without the indica folks freaking out and the indica folks can have an anxiety free time without the sativa heads passing out.

I heard you say this before, and I like it as an idea very much. However I'm the only person in my circle who regularly uses cannabis, so it's very much a case that I have to provide the vaporizers. Thinking I may get a Dynavap M or two so I can give them to people to use as they like when they come to get high with me - another grasshopper would be way too expensive for me to get as a "guest vape". But yeah, I like the personal vape idea, thanks for sharing.

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
I heard you say this before, and I like it as an idea very much. However I'm the only person in my circle who regularly uses cannabis, so it's very much a case that I have to provide the vaporizers. Thinking I may get a Dynavap M or two so I can give them to people to use as they like when they come to get high with me - another grasshopper would be way too expensive for me to get as a "guest vape". But yeah, I like the personal vape idea, thanks for sharing.

Cheers! I definitely recommend a guest vape and a cheaper alternative will work. Hopefully that way folks will be at their own pace thus making the grasshopper available when someone else wants to take a rip. I have a guest grasshopper and 4 or 5 other vapes, somehow the line for the grasshopper bong seems to always be long!

In other walking my talk news, I just got another crowd funding project shipped yesterday! Twist light bulbs, they are light bulbs and speakers. I think it was about almost 2 years for this too, maybe a little less. So far so good, knowing that I manage my expectations, so far the concept is cool, definitely a little wonky but for me as a product adventurer, I enjoy life on the cutting edge and for me having the newest coolest is still worth it may not quite work the way I was hoping. Between the Grasshopper and Twist bulbs so far the Grasshopper delivers more of what I was expecting but of course I've had a grasshopper for 2 years now and the twist bulbs for less than 24 hours!

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but does anyone else feel like the grasshopper is useless without a water filter? Even with the silicon mouthpiece, trying to take more than 2 hits from it just burns your lips.

Has anyone come up with a good way to use the grasshopper on the go without needed a water rig to cool it down?

As already discussed above, timing and technique make a huge difference.

But why rely on that when you can buy more hopper accessories? ;) I purchased a spare Launch Box glass stem from Magic Flight. It fits perfectly into the hole in the silicone mouthpiece cover and extends the vapor path just enough to make a difference. The mouthpiece cover with glass stem attached fits nicely into one of the pockets of my Ratchett hopper case.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
As already discussed above, timing and technique make a huge difference.

But why rely on that when you can buy more hopper accessories? ;) I purchased a spare Launch Box glass stem from Magic Flight. It fits perfectly into the hole in the silicone mouthpiece cover and extends the vapor path just enough to make a difference. The mouthpiece cover with glass stem attached fits nicely into one of the pockets of my Ratchett hopper case.

Good to see you about fella :wave:,

Not tried this one yet, does the stem stop reclaim from staining the silicone mouthpiece?

JCat

Accessory Maker
I ordered one of these to try out for dry usage with the PFE (hoping to avoid silicone)--the one on the left is the 14mm female adapter that should work well I hope. (ordered it along with a few batteries)

herbalizer-bag-gong.png

Shieldsab

My PFE and batteries arrived today. :clap: The PFE fits the GH quite well. No cracks or anything. I used it dry, and it definitely gets hotter more quickly than the pen end. But the airflow is much, much better and you get an equal or greater hit for the shorter time you can inhale. As for the batteries, compared to my old B2s these have a slightly different textured wrapping. I haven't used either of them yet, I'm still riding the PFE extraction I took on an old battery while letting the new ones sit in the charger for a bit. :ko: :whoa:
Very fast shipping to Canada. I got confirmation June 1, it's here today. :clap: :bowdown:
Now I can clean the pen end and put off finding a way to fix the fiddly little screens in my FW4 capsules. :cuss: :rant: :uhoh:

moondog

Good to see you about fella :wave:

Thanks, figured I'd stop back in to see how things are going.

Not tried this one yet, does the stem stop reclaim from staining the silicone mouthpiece?

Can't say with absolute certainty. I haven't used it all that much lately 'cause I've been on a hopper break while I get to know my FW4, but the mouthpiece cover I use for this function still looks pretty much brand new; certainly WAAAAY better than the one I use without the stem. The glass stem can easily be pushed down through the mouthpiece cover hole until it's basically resting on the tip of the hopper itself, so the vast majority of - if not all - the vapor get channeled into the stem.

Works a treat, as they say. I find the combination of the glass stem extension with the "redirect the vapor stream to various parts of your mouth during your pull" technique eliminates heat as a factor.

And I like supporting Magic Flight in whatever small ways I can. They were my first portable and you never forget your first.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@moondog, I'm also real happy to see you posting here! It got a little bumpy for a while and your return signals a better day in this thread, for me and I think, a lot of others.
This, even as I must abstain from all activity (and should probably not even be active here :\)
I wish I could at least skype or visit with my Hoppers and Mighty; they are on vacation. I miss them!

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Thanks, figured I'd stop back in to see how things are going.

Can't say with absolute certainty. I haven't used it all that much lately 'cause I've been on a hopper break while I get to know my FW4, but the mouthpiece cover I use for this function still looks pretty much brand new; certainly WAAAAY better than the one I use without the stem. The glass stem can easily be pushed down through the mouthpiece cover hole until it's basically resting on the tip of the hopper itself, so the vast majority of - if not all - the vapor get channeled into the stem.

Works a treat, as they say. I find the combination of the glass stem extension with the "redirect the vapor stream to various parts of your mouth during your pull" technique eliminates heat as a factor.

And I like supporting Magic Flight in whatever small ways I can. They were my first portable and you never forget your first.

Sounds good man, I'm guessing it's also a good little reclaim catch as well.

I know exactly where my original MFLB stems are. In my old smoke box, at the bottom of a storage box, covered in loads of other stuff, in the shed, with the spiders.

:\ Gonna need a coffee before taking on that mission

I still have my MFLB with v1 AC power adapter :rockon:

moondog

@moondog, I'm also real happy to see you posting here! It got a little bumpy for a while and your return signals a better day in this thread, for me and I think, a lot of others.
This, even as I must abstain from all activity (and should probably not even be active here :\)
I wish I could at least skype or visit with my Hoppers and Mighty; they are on vacation. I miss them!

Thanks for the kind words @vapviking. I'm sorry things have been less than optimal around here. I'll admit that I am perversely curious about the nature of the bumpiness, but I don't really have the time or inclination to go back and read the many, many pages that have gone up since I was last hopping.

Anyway, I hope your reasons for having to abstain are not too serious and that you get reunited with your Hoppers and Mighty before too long.

Sounds good man, I'm guessing it's also a good little reclaim catch as well.

Yes, that it is.

I know exactly where my original MFLB stems are. In my old smoke box, at the bottom of a storage box, covered in loads of other stuff, in the shed, with the spiders.

:\ Gonna need a coffee before taking on that mission

"Ugh, spiders. Why did it have to be spiders?" (Not an exact quote, I know.)

Good luck on that mission. Hope the stem works as well for you as it does for me.

snaffle

I'm sorry things have been less than optimal around here. I'll admit that I am perversely curious about the nature of the bumpiness, but I don't really have the time or inclination to go back and read the many, many pages that have gone up since I was last hopping.

It was about what you'd expect, complaints about reliability leading to arguments about how widespread the problems are, and whether Hopper Labs are doing enough to rectify them. Got quite heated, and not particularly pleasant. There you go, saved you some hours and stress :)

Has anyone made use of ABV from the Grasshopper? I generally run it at 4.2 (sometimes after stepping), so my ABV is reasonably dark, and being the hopper, very evenly toasted. I wonder whether the quality of extraction leaves less actives in the ABV than other vapes? Maybe the difference is going to be pretty minimal - I don't have any experience of using ABV yet, I'm looking forward to water curing and making some lovely edibles with mine sometime soon.

moondog

It was about what you'd expect, complaints about reliability leading to arguments about how widespread the problems are, and whether Hopper Labs are doing enough to rectify them. Got quite heated, and not particularly pleasant. There you go, saved you some hours and stress :)

Oh, so summer re-runs already? ;) Can't say I'm surprised. Thanks for the summary.

Has anyone made use of ABV from the Grasshopper? I generally run it at 4.2 (sometimes after stepping), so my ABV is reasonably dark, and being the hopper, very evenly toasted. I wonder whether the quality of extraction leaves less actives in the ABV than other vapes? Maybe the difference is going to be pretty minimal - I don't have any experience of using ABV yet, I'm looking forward to water curing and making some lovely edibles with mine sometime soon.

I've got a jar that's almost filled up. My plan is to give it to one of my edible-makin' friends and getting a cut of whatever they turn out.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Got my Ti back 4 days ago from its 2nd RMA went to use it today red lights then nothing, tried it 5-6 times more same result.....nothing. Dead again after only 4 days and I was nursing it this time knowing how fragile they can be. All through a D020 if anyone wants that extra tidbit of info. How annoying?

Cant use my SS either as that just carries on heating up regardless no blue lights just constant red and it then combusts and just keeps getting hotter. I'm too scared to leave it running until the 15sec cutoff because I'm not sure that would even cut in anymore it gets ridiculously hot!
Any chance you let vapor blow back into the GH by not lifting it completely off the d020 while clearing?

AJS

Calm Consistency
"May Update and News

Summary and Current News:

Hopper Labs wrapped up May with a variety of device improvements having just launched and an overhaul of the in-house warranty process. These were major points of focus in our efforts to improve the user experience. The leather sleeve has undergone design tweaks and is entering production. These should be available in the next 60 days!

HL implemented cycle testing on every unit that ships around six months ago. This quality control step drastically reduced the rate of device failure. Using a newly remolded in-house warranty system, we were able to track specific units more closely and determine real world failure points. Front-side components suffered from exposure to oils and plant matter. Keeping your air holes and entire device clean drastically helped with reliability. Our newest units are just starting to ship now, and include measures to protect against this type of failure. We will have a new video showing some performance tricks coming next week.

As will all our "under the hood" improvements, we will we work these into the warranty stream, so users with existing devices will see benefits. We will be watching the results and appreciate your feedback.

"

So it does seem some errors could be from people letting abv or oils build up in their GH ....

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
"May Update and News

Summary and Current News:

Hopper Labs wrapped up May with a variety of device improvements having just launched and an overhaul of the in-house warranty process. These were major points of focus in our efforts to improve the user experience. The leather sleeve has undergone design tweaks and is entering production. These should be available in the next 60 days!

HL implemented cycle testing on every unit that ships around six months ago. This quality control step drastically reduced the rate of device failure. Using a newly remolded in-house warranty system, we were able to track specific units more closely and determine real world failure points. Front-side components suffered from exposure to oils and plant matter. Keeping your air holes and entire device clean drastically helped with reliability. Our newest units are just starting to ship now, and include measures to protect against this type of failure. We will have a new video showing some performance tricks coming next week.

As will all our "under the hood" improvements, we will we work these into the warranty stream, so users with existing devices will see benefits. We will be watching the results and appreciate your feedback.

"

So it does seem some errors could be from people letting abv or oils build up in their GH ....

I did an empty T5 dry hit yesterday on my purple Ti (through my MFLB) and got two decent hits (from empty chamber) so there is definitely material building up in the chamber and possibly heater. My Purp Ti is about 3/4 of a year old (since it's second RMA) so doesn't have any of the new mitigation features.

Other than a hot back end it seems to be working well.

btka

@GreenHopper
funny since I use my pfe front end I am not getting any vapor with an empty chamber...
with the og front end I got vapor (empty chamber) in the past... But also resin did build up in og frontend which sometimes accumulated on the tip of front end....

to be honest I do not understand when they refering to " front side components" do they mean the heater, chamber, heater screen or the frontend (mouthpiece)?

since I got mine back from last warranty (end of january) and using more or less only the pfe I have no problems (knocking on wood)... only thing I noticed is blue flickering light comes faster... but I think that is maybe my new gh batteries I received also january getting weak... who knows... BTW I am also not using my gh exclusivly (as before) but I use it daily...

BTW if someone get an improved device please let us know... what is improved or different (maybe new heating element screen or other visible changes ... thanks...

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I'm so glad they finally mentioned the leather sleeves. I'm probably the only one that cares though. :shrug:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who actually has one of the original leather sleeves, even though I know that's not true. However, after nearly a years worth of use (12 more days!) it is showing quite a bit of wear.

The damage is probably at least partly my fault. At first I would just kind of jam my Grasshopper in the sleeve, and the clip would catch on the edge of the sleeve. Not a big deal at first, but over time it started to damage the sleeve.

Once the damage started happening I made a point to gently lift up the clip when inserting the hopper into the sleeve. I think if I did this from the beginning it would have taken a lot longer to start to show wear and tear. I also made a point to always put the clip on the damaged side so I didn't mess up both sides, the other side still looks like new. Note that the OG sleeve is not 100% leather, but rather "leather-plated" :lol: :

sxHj4AD.jpg

FqS5bza.jpg

AQP6w3P.jpg

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My free leather sleeve never shipped with the pre-order back in Aug. '16.
For most of the interim they were saying it was either about 2weeks out, or "next month". But somehow, this time I believe them. Just as all my vapes are sitting unused!

AJS

Calm Consistency
I bought an RMA'd GH a month or 2 ago to gift to my friend ... mine I bought used like 8 months ago so I noticed a few differences.

Magnet on the new backend is super strong.
No gap.
Backend tighter
No grinding when screwing in
No flickering.

His GH is just all around more solid.

This isn't the new new GH, but just something I thought I'd throw out.

Top Bottom