Discontinued The Grasshopper

Jbear

I got my GH around the end of January. I just submitted my 4th warrranty claim this morning and asked for a refund because it's getting ridiculous Every repair is a 2+ week turn around and happens basically monthly. Ironically about an hour later the email claiming all the improvements was sent out so I messaged I'm open to exchanging for a new one but I'm so over the back and forth shipping and being without my vape for 2 weeks every month.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
@GreenHopper
funny since I use my pfe front end I am not getting any vapor with an empty chamber...
with the og front end I got vapor (empty chamber) in the past... But also resin did build up in og frontend which sometimes accumulated on the tip of front end....

to be honest I do not understand when they refering to " front side components" do they mean the heater, chamber, heater screen or the frontend (mouthpiece)?

since I got mine back from last warranty (end of january) and using more or less only the pfe I have no problems (knocking on wood)... only thing I noticed is blue flickering light comes faster... but I think that is maybe my new gh batteries I received also january getting weak... who knows... BTW I am also not using my gh exclusivly (as before) but I use it daily...

BTW if someone get an improved device please let us know... what is improved or different (maybe new heating element screen or other visible changes ... thanks...

Heya bud,

I gave my PFE to my friend as his GH is his daily driver and he uses it to help with spine issues. I haven't gotten myself another one yet as I'm finding the original front end fine for the amount I use my hopper these days. Although I may get a purple Ti PFE at some point but I'm in no rush. :D

Good point about the front end, however I did my empty burn off with a freshly cleaned one, it had been ISO bathed over night prior to the burn off.

Basically I got a new vape storage chest and was cleaning all my vapes so they don't stink it up.

Its awesome pulling out a draw full of hoppers and accessories. Then another draw full of VapCaps. There are 9 draws of various sizes and everyone of them has cool vapes or vape accessories in them...:rockon:

almost there

I got my GH around the end of January. I just submitted my 4th warrranty claim this morning and asked for a refund because it's getting ridiculous Every repair is a 2+ week turn around and happens basically monthly. Ironically about an hour later the email claiming all the improvements was sent out so I messaged I'm open to exchanging for a new one but I'm so over the back and forth shipping and being without my vape for 2 weeks every month.
My RMA that came back last week was drastically different from the one that came back last month. My original hopper had a hard click and the pen clip was far from the body. After the first RMA they swapped what must me an older model backend bc it clicked way easier and the clip was very tight against the body. The RMA that was returned last week came with a backend that was far away from the body again and has a hard click. They also replaced the body bc the front end screws super smooth and seems like it has more threads. It's performing super, just wished it didn't take 2 RMA's to get what I should have received from the beginning and I hate rocking a cosmetically scarred hopper that was getting uglier after each successive RMA. I am very careful with the things I pay good money for and now my 2 month old hopper is all pitted and scratched from damage that the company did. Just so no one moans about me being a hater, the latest RMA was efficient in fixing the weak heater and blinking lights and hot backend and poor vapor production.
@Jbear sorry to hear u have it even worse than me, hope all goes well. U really do deserve a swap, not like they won't recycle every part so what will they loss really. How's about a little bit of honor?

Last edited:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
My RMA that came back last week was drastically different from the one that came back last month. My original hopper had a hard click and the pen clip was far from the body. After the first RMA they swapped what must me an older model backend bc it clicked way easier and the clip was very tight against the body. The RMA that was returned last week came with a backend that was far away from the body again and has a hard clock. They also replaced the body bc the front end screws super smooth and seems like it has more threads. It's performing super, just wished it didn't take 2 RMA's to get what I should have received from the beginning and I hate rocking a cosmetically scarred hopper that was getting uglier after each successive RMA. I am very careful with the things I pay good money for and now my 2 month old hopper is all pitted and scratched from damage that the company did. Just so no one moans about me being a hater, the latest RMA was efficient in fixing the weak heater and blinking lights and hot backend and poor vapor production.

My hoppers look brand new, not a single scratch on them. The reports of Hopper coming back scarred up is one of the major reasons I haven't RMA'd my underperforming green Hopper.

When I do send it in I'm going to take pics of it before it goes in, if it comes back gnarled up I'll definitely be making a stink about it as it's essentially a damaged product.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I pre-ordered a leather sleeve with my original Ti order in Sep 2015. When I purchased a SS from Vaposhop in June 2016 I bought my current sleeve.

When my Ti preorder shipped in Sep 2016 they didn't include the sleeve. I was expecting this since I knew it was out of stock. Still, Hopper Labs never gave any acknowledgement whatsoever that my order was missing items.

When it comes to warranty returns HL does a great job, but overall they just aren't quite as good as the best of the best when it comes to service. They're not terrible, they just have some room for improvement.

I've considered getting a refund for the leather sleeve. but I just figured I'd wait till they came back in stock. Who knows, they might be more expensive if they are improving them.

I myself have a franken-hopper, my SS had its body replaced and the color was different, and also the old backend is crooked and janky and screws on at a little bit of angle:

dkjpvR6.jpg

AJS

Calm Consistency
I bought an RMA'd GH a month or 2 ago to gift to my friend ... mine I bought used like 8 months ago so I noticed a few differences.

Magnet on the new backend is super strong.
No gap.
Backend tighter
No grinding when screwing in
No flickering.

His GH is just all around more solid.

This isn't the new new GH, but just something I thought I'd throw out.
Oh one thing I was gunna add to this was his clip doesn't touch the body of the hopper ... so no spinning marks.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I pre-ordered a leather sleeve with my original Ti order in Sep 2015. When I purchased a SS from Vaposhop in June 2016 I bought my current sleeve.

When my Ti preorder shipped in Sep 2016 they didn't include the sleeve. I was expecting this since I knew it was out of stock. Still, Hopper Labs never gave any acknowledgement whatsoever that my order was missing items.

When it comes to warranty returns HL does a great job, but overall they just aren't quite as good as the best of the best when it comes to service. They're not terrible, they just have some room for improvement.

I've considered getting a refund for the leather sleeve. but I just figured I'd wait till they came back in stock. Who knows, they might be more expensive if they are improving them.

I myself have a franken-hopper, my SS had its body replaced and the color was different, and also the old backend is crooked and janky and screws on at a little bit of angle:

dkjpvR6.jpg

Sorry to see that man. I would have a hard time accepting that.

I've been lucky though as my purple body came back from RMA as a perfect match to the original back and front ends. I have no reason to complain and I've not had cause to send it back for over 6 months now.

I do have to admit it doesn't get hammered nearly as much as it used to. Good, the longer I go between RMA's the more opportunity HL have to improve.

I also bought my friend an SS that I know he hammers through an MFLB on a daily basis. His was golden the day I got it for him and it still is. Sure it's got those tiny minor scratches that you have to accept as that's what happens to SS but other than those it's immaculate.

All in all I've had a good run and can't complain but seeing how others have been treated is something I'm very aware of and still concerned by.

@Vapor_Eyes I hope you end up with a perfect hopper on your next RMA.

@the whole world

I don't believe HL's chooses to give any cause for concern with regard to their product but I think it's very hard to come out the gate with a perfect product and the infrastructure to support it. I still recon they need more time but I do believe they are improving. It can take a while to iron out the kinks in a production line and then an RMA line.

It feels to me like the refusal to cover the return shipping cost is because it would either bankrupt them or make it harder to negotiate for business loans to improve and expand departments like the RMA line.

I missed the original crowd funding but got in on a pre-order right after they opened it. I keep having to remind myself these guys are a really small team with no large company(s) funding them (as far as I'm aware). So I assume they are gonna grow organically, they have no choice. :shrug: It will be in stages, as they grow and show increased potential they will be able to access greater funds to enable them to expand.

But surely those funds would be tightly controlled and only released to them as confidence in them grows. I believe that's how it works but there are others who will probably know better. :shrug:

Anyway, you better believe if anyone puts a dent or a scratch in my perfectly preserved Hopper be it a friend or a HL employee they are going to get an earful. :myday: Because it's my role in all this to be real and represent my expectations honestly so that HL can rise to the challenge. :D

And I do expect them eventually to cover return shipping.

My guess is they will rise to the challenge. :goon: They better, I love my Hopper, but it may take a fair while longer.

I'm glad I bought it, if didn't have one now I'd be wanting one. So badly, especially knowing how good it is.

I've been lucky with my RMA's, I know, I'm now off to sacrifice a goat to the GrassHopper God's to ensure that luck continues.

*To those that made it, thanks for reading this long fucking post

AJS

Calm Consistency

I've been lucky though as my purple body came back from RMA as a perfect match to the original back and front ends. I have no reason to complain and I've not had cause to send it back for over 6 months now.

I do have to admit it doesn't get hammered nearly as much as it used to. Good, the longer I go between RMA's the more opportunity HL have to improve.

I also bought my friend an SS that I know he hammers through an MFLB on a daily basis. His was golden the day I got it for him and it still is. Sure it's got those tiny minor scratches that you have to accept as that's what happens to SS but other than those it's immaculate.

All in all I've had a good run and can't complain but seeing how others have been treated is something I'm very aware of and still concerned by.

@the whole world

I don't believe HL's chooses to give any cause for concern with regard to their product but I think it's very hard to come out the gate with a perfect product and the infrastructure to support it. I still recon they need more time but I do believe they are improving. It can take a while to iron out the kinks in a production line and then an RMA line.

It feels to me like the refusal to cover the return shipping cost is because it would either bankrupt them or make it harder to negotiate for business loans to improve and expand departments like the RMA line.

I missed the original crowd funding but got in on a pre-order right after they opened it. I keep having to remind myself these guys are a really small team with no large company(s) funding them (as far as I'm aware). So I assume they are gonna grow organically, they have no choice. :shrug: It will be in stages, as they grow and show increased potential they will be able to access greater funds to enable them to expand.

But surely those funds would be tightly controlled and only released to them as confidence in them grows. I believe that's how it works but there are others who will probably know better. :shrug:

Anyway, you better believe if anyone puts a dent or a scratch in my perfectly preserved Hopper be it a friend or a HL employee they are going to get an earful. :myday: Because it's my role in all this to be real and represent my expectations honestly so that HL can rise to the challenge. :D

My guess is they will rise to the challenge. :goon: They better, I love my Hopper, but it may take a fair while longer.

I'm glad I bought it, if didn't have one now I'd be wanting one. So badly, especially knowing how good it is.

I've been lucky with my RMA's, I know, I'm now off to sacrifice a goat to the GrassHopper God's to ensure that luck continues.

:clap::nod:

Great post man, I agree with pretty much all of it. Well done.
DANqBmF.jpg

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds

@the whole world

The great thing about my Frankenhopper is it hits like a monster. :freak:

It's my original SS from June 20, 2016. It's only had one RMA which was in late October. They replaced the body and it's been going strong ever since.

As janky as that looks in the picture, it's not as noticeable in person, unless you're closely inspecting it. I noticed the color change immediately because the pen front end really shows the difference in tones. I didn't notice the misalignment in the back end until some time later. I actually noticed it by the feel of it in my hand and not by looking at it.

I'm not too worried about it because it still performs great. It does have a temp dial that locks up sometimes and I have to do voodoo to release it. I guess I could send it in for an RMA at any time but I don't see the need yet. It's tempting to try out one of those new back ends but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I mean I guess it is kind of broke but not really. :shrug:

The new performance front end actually matches the body's color perfectly so it's what I tend to use with my SS, and I use the pen front end with the Ti.

Perhaps we should call the original front end the SFE, stealth front end. That would allow abbreviation without confusion. Maybe one day you will be able to choose between a PFE or SFE when buying a new Grasshopper...

Last edited:

Baron23

For all our hopes that there is improvement, valid hopes I believe, we are also confronted with a story like this which is just simply unacceptable. How the fuck can you have four RMA's on a device in four months and not manage to get the owner a reliable unit. How can that happen?

ArthurJ

I got my Ti hopper after a 8-9 month wait back in December, just before Christmas, it was DOA and was taken care of with a quick warranty replacement on the body.
After that it's been fine. Over 6 months of solid use. It's become my favorite portable, and I use it at home as well. I have gone through periods of daily use but 3-5 times a week is probably the norm for me.
After a month or two I added a SS unit, maybe late Feb or early March? And that unit I use just as much, I often carry both and switch off between them if I'm out.
I like starting low, at about temp 3 and the flavor is ok, it is by no means the best, but it's not horrible but it's not entirely consistent and can sometimes be a bit off. At times it tastes a bit metallic. I'll hit it 2-3 times at 3 then work my way up to 4 and sometimes to go to 5. I'll hit it for 10 secs, leave it on while I exhale and hit it again for 10-15 secs turning it off midway and I always get nice clouds.

If I'm home I'll often take it with whatever I left in it from last use and hit at 5 through water, then clean it out and hit it empty at 5 and get a few clouds.

Sometimes I'll alternate both for a round at 3, a round at 4, then both at the same time through the U-joint through water (the candelabrum) at 5 for 2-3 rounds.
I'm pretty well useless after that but that's ok.

I've been using the PFE's exclusively since I got him, I can hit it straight or through water, so I find that most convenient.

I'm probably gonna jinx myself but I've found em pretty reliable since my initial issue. The longer I've had the more they've grown on me.

I wouldn't have them at all without having read about them here, even with all the trials and tribulations, so I thought so I thought I'd share my thoughts.

Happy Hopping.

nonbeliever

Just curious- people talk about how powerful the GH is. How harsh is it?
I moved to the GH from a one-hitter, so to me, it is not as harsh as that - but clearly harsher than some folks like. I also accidently found while taking a few hits with a strong peppermint in your mouth really cools it also (or at least cools your throat). I use the GH on temp settings 4.5 to 5 consistently. I like the big clouds...

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
header.jpg

Grasshopper Grasshopper Mail
Summer is Coming - Time to Play 10% Off!

Summer is almost here, and that means it is time to get outside for music festivals, camping, athletics and more. Enjoy 10% off at the Grasshopper store on all in-stock items through Sunday!

*For HT Hoppers use code "HToutdoors"
We are kicking our season off with the Dead and Company show right here in Boulder, CO. Stop in at our booth for a sneak peak of new products, Saturday, June 10th.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
So I been looking around for a new stem for my hopper that I can keep in my hopper purse and I ended up buying this one here for like 8 bucks ... mostly because it was 8 bucks with shipping

formax420-metro-twister-pipe-brass-and-chrome-pocket-hand-pipe-gold-smoking-accessories-mini-and-cheap-pipe-free-shipping.jpg

No idea about A) safety of the material used, B) how the hopper is going to fit it but I am hoping that the silicon piece fits in the bowl and also nice it comes with a compartment to dump AVB :D

I really miss my glass stem that broke couple of weeks ago that allowed me to take huge hits but want something unbreakable for the day trip travel purse

http://www.dhgate.com/product/the-m...=edm|auto|order_confirm_2017|browse1|20170611

Top Bottom