Discontinued The Grasshopper

lwien

I just find it odd that this one video is the one to be chosen as the end all representative of the GH performance.

If you've read the recent posts here, I don't think anyone here is saying that it is the "end all representative of the GH performance."

The fact that the temp 5 abv is out of focus the whole time its being shared, could inspire such a reaction is pretty telling.

Pretty telling of what?

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Sniping at its finest, cherry picking scenarios to establish a framework to continue pushing negative opinions. so Im curious as to what is the motivation? I am unsure. there was a muted reception to the 5 other ABV videos all of which show evenly vaped material from start to finish (packing, heating, inhale/exhale, & abv dump). But as soon as we get a video thats chopped to bits (which if HL released would be berated into oblivion for having cuts/edits), that could potentially suit a particular narrative.. we have more company than usual (and at this point given the context; expected). I just find it odd that this one video is the one to be chosen as the end all representative of the GH performance.

The fact that the temp 5 abv is out of focus the whole time its being shared, could inspire such a reaction is pretty telling.
I don't think people are seeing it as the be all end all of the GH performance, I feel like they're just worried that this might be yet another malfunctioning unit and that there will be more delays.

shadymilkman

I don't think people are seeing it as the be all end all of the GH performance, I feel like they're just worried that this might be yet another malfunctioning unit and that there will be more delays.

Then they would do well to watch the other, more comprehensive videos to quell that fear.

If you've read the recent posts here, I don't think anyone here is saying that it is the "end all representative of the GH performance."

Pretty telling of what?

I think based on the reaction, thats exactly whats going on.. an abundant lack of critical analysis. before the quality of the video has been addressed, the 'quality' of the ABV has all but written a new set of picket signs to march around FC..

its 'telling' of what motivates certain members to post.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Then they would do well to watch the other, more comprehensive videos to quell that fear.

I think based on the reaction, thats exactly whats going on.. an abundant lack of critical analysis. before the quality of the video has been addressed, the 'quality' of the ABV has all but written a new set of picket signs to march around FC..

I'm sure all the people, if not most, agree that the grasshopper can vape herb evenly and efficiently. Again, that's not what they're worried about. They're worried about another malfunctioning grasshopper, after GH Labs said they found the problem they were having with faulty units. If this GH that was recently received is defective then we all have the right to be worried.

Last edited:
He seemed to click it on and leave it on a few times - maybe it's the result of a few cycles of the heater being ready to go and radiating it's heat to the bottom of the chamber? The other video test doing this showed it being cycled until auto turn off twice and it was looking slightly singed on the bottom.. I don't know.

shadymilkman

I'm sure all the people, if not most, agree that the grasshopper can cape herb evenly and efficiently. Again, that's not what they're worried about. They're worried about another malfunctioning grasshopper, after GH Labs said they found the problem they were having with faulty units. If this GH that was recently received is defective then we all have the right to be worried.

I disagree that this is a rational response. The issue that they addressed is well known to us here, so before we address how we could even assess if this was a malfunction is impractical due to the poor quality of the video as testified by the person making it ('sorry for the potato quality'). This video is no justification for the knee-jerk reaction.. we would do well to wait, either for a better video from this user, or for them to document that this is whats happening. armchair analysis of crappy video to indicate a new fundamental issue, that would lead to more delays is spurious, and the connection to additional manufacturing/shipping delays based on an older hw issue is tenuous at best.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Just looked at the vid again, and listened: I think one of his problems was that he subjected too little herb to too much heat too many times. Had he used more herb to absorb the heat he subjected to the too little herb, his mouthpiece wouldn't have gotten as hot as it did, and he wouldn't have charred those few little granules. This is not to suggest that one can't use just a very small pinch of herb, but rather, if a very small pinch is used, then lower heat or fewer sessions should suffice, or higher heat and a short session is all that's needed. I think the user who submitted this vid may have limited vape experience, particularly with a GH of course, as will we all to begin with.

EDIT! Marco97 replied - See post below.

Last edited:

lwien

It's definitely not vaped much. He's using low temperatures and he takes only three hits or so each time. That explains why there's green in it, but that's not what got my attention. There are parts that are green with edges that are deep brown or black. That's a sure sign of conduction.

Do you also feel that it's "telling" of one of the mods here as well.

I asked you before and I will do so again. What do you believe is "telling" about the motivations of those who have questioned the results of this vid?

Challenging the performance parameters of vaporizers is kind of in our DNA here at FC, eh and if a vid raises some questions, shouldn't those questions be explored?

As I recently said before, it very well may be a faulty vid. It could also be user error as @Snappo explained above. It could also be working more in conduction mode as Paka stated which could be a faulty unit or a unit to unit variation.

In my opinion, I don't see anything wrong here in these discussions and I've learned a bit more than I did before after reading some of the recent posts here, such as what @Snappo and @puckerbutt posted above.

Last edited:

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Marco97 replied - "I think it may have been a fluke. Maybe it didn't tumble in the chamber after the first draw, I'm not sure. However, since the video I haven't had that problem. Most of last night and today has been a even consistency. I do want to mention I used new material each time I tried a new temp in the video."

Snappo

Accessory Maker
If you place the AVB on white paper and move it around on the paper, any burnt bud will leave black residue on the paper, suggesting carbon emission (I think).
He did say on the vid that it smelled burned i.e., combustion occured. He needs to play with his new GH more to tweak technique to accommodate a very small pinch if that's his preference. I think that, as Pak suggested, more conduction occurred because there was too little material to absorb the convective heat, hence, the chamber retained more of it.

Last edited:

TheWhisper

He did say on the vid that it smelled burned i.e., combustion occured. He needs to play with his new GH more to tweak technique to accommodate a very small pinch if that's his preference. I think that, as Pak suggested, more conduction occurred because there was too little material to absorb the convective heat, hence, the chamber retained more of it.

Yet @slcbdco has stated multiple times that he only uses the tiniest of pinches, and I don't think he's mentioned having a similar result.

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
@Snappo is correct- in the vid he did say the abv seemed burnt, even mentioning how he could "smell it from here" before lifting it up. Typically my ABV only has a smell when right under the nose. That's more of a concern than how it looked in his hand. It could have been a contrast problem on the camera. Also, we didn't see what the material looked like prior to vaping. I've seen some primo material with leaf tips so dark purple they look almost black.

Easier to fool the eye, but the nose knows.

shadymilkman

[QUOTE="shadymilkman, post: 822232, member: 25464]its 'telling' of what motivates certain members to post.

Wouldn't you think or have you considered the fact that many of us were expecting to have a Zenpen/Grasshopper in Feb. 2014 near a year and a half before you even joined FC has a little to do with some of the negativity your seeing posted now ?????

No, unfortunately your metric of my membership relative to the wait is what I'm trying to work against here. Assumptions based on incomplete information.. you have no idea in fact how long I've been around fc or my place in line

With that said..

Everyone knew what they were potentially signing up for, both positive and negative. Attempting to 'question' performance objectively while ignoring evidence to the contrary is malicious, and selective. Was there an attempt to contrast the abv from the other videos? Comparisons to evaluate, to HELP Marco97 determine if his device was functioning properly or to create fear, uncertainty, and doubt..

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
No, unfortunately your metric of my membership relative to the wait is what I'm trying to work against here. Assumptions based on incomplete information.. you have no idea in fact how long I've been around fc or my place in line

Your profile says 'Member Since: Jun 5, 2015'. Who knows how long you've been lurking, but that's how long you've been contributing here. Also, nobody's saying you should be torqued, just that you understand why some customers might be. It's a long wait, and it continues for most...

With that said..

Everyone knew what they were potentially signing up for, both positive and negative..

That's not really true. One can't know positives and negatives based on the generalization "potentially". If you compare initial promises of battery life, and other specs, things are in flux. Not saying it's unforgivable, but nobody really knew the deal. Such is the way of crowd funding. It's investing in a dream at the time.

Last edited:

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
@shadymilkman while I can appreciate the fact that you want all of our members to keep an open mind, I would ask you to do the same....

Our members have a reputation for questioning vape manufacturers. And if they see something that looks troublesome, they will address it. I haven't seen any evidence of an agenda by any of them; certainly not one of negativity towards the Grasshopper product itself.

Any more of your accusations will be considered trolling and earn you a warning point.

grokit

well-worn member
What hidden agenda could anyone here possibly have

8292174927_3885a96d42.jpg

:popcorn:

Likes2vape

Sniping at its finest, cherry picking scenarios to establish a framework to continue pushing negative opinions. so Im curious as to what is the motivation? I am unsure. there was a muted reception to the 5 other ABV videos all of which show evenly vaped material from start to finish (packing, heating, inhale/exhale, & abv dump). But as soon as we get a video thats chopped to bits (which if HL released would be berated into oblivion for having cuts/edits), that could potentially suit a particular narrative.. we have more company than usual (and at this point given the context; expected). I just find it odd that this one video is the one to be chosen as the end all representative of the GH performance.

I don't think anyone is trying to build a "framework to continue to push negative options"

It is concerning to me that all the other videos showed abv being vaped very consistently and then this video shows up after there has already been reports of faulty/bad assembly issues with the temp sensors that are causing issues. Is a result of that or just some crappy lighting, etc.

I look forward to seeing other grasshoppers in the wild and how they perform. So far not many have been spotted on the net I think I've read of five people that have one (including this latest one) and 2 had a problem with them and now this one seems to not be vaping the weed like the other ones. I hope it's just a few isolated problems.

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Yet @slcbdco has stated multiple times that he only uses the tiniest of pinches, and I don't think he's mentioned having a similar result.
But we don't know exactly what temps were used or for how long and what was the strength of his draw. I'm sure tiny pinches will be perfectly fine, as they have been for other reviewers, but just don't use a damn blowtorch on it - vape commensurate with the load is all I'm saying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom