Discontinued The Grasshopper

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@vapviking , you were probably thinking of the A-10 warthog. And, fantastic reading about positive spousal vape interaction. Healthy (and lucky).
Thanks for the kind words about my vaped thinking! Was hoping to contribute to the discussion, even though I will not be buying a PFE. I don't use glass, and the TiChillum bowl does not have the correct shape, and I would fear scratches anyway.

6 month old SS still going strong, as is 2 month old TI. But......it is a hard pull. Diaphragm hurts a bit after a couple 20-30 second draws, but I'm a wuss. I'm guessing the restriction lies within the high tech printed heater. (Restrictive when new)
I've noticed on my last few RMA repairs that the draw is much less restricted when Hopper comes home than when it departed for the hospital. I think "stuff" builds up inside Hopper in an unreachable area eventually affecting draw. I now find myself frequently doing big empty draws on open end (no mp, no heat, no material loaded) in attempt to keep things cleared out. Hopefully on you next RMA you'll see a change, for whatever reason. There's a big difference.

I think that late in the design phase for the WPA HL stumbled onto the concept of PFE; the change to a thicker-walled draw end is extremely effective. We been talking about some of the reasons (above). So, an ancillary effect is cooler mp and more pleasant experience dry. Wife and I can pass it and share a couple of hits before heat is a problem, for instance. Or, when solo, I can hit a little more frequently since the mp is not getting scorching hot (not right away).
Another thing I noticed is that the stream of hot air that enters the mouth is not as intensely directed. Usually with standard mp I can feel the air, even direct it to a given area in the mouth, but the PFE 'diffuses' the draw to a less well-defined, somewhat larger area.

If I draw on each mp when no Body is attached, I don't feel much difference in 'draw resistance', but there is a qualitative difference felt drawing from large opening vs small.

I'm not trying to sell these things, apologies if this sounds like that. Hope I can help folks sort out this new piece and whether they'd like it or not.

MoltenTiger

Posted on the 10th March and as from now it is still on its journey with now USPS. Not bad for a estimated 6 day delivery!!! AP is sooooo stuffed. Im really pissed that HL have changed the way they do warranty now. At least before they would send you the part and then you could send the faulty front end or whatever in your own time with less stress instead of this bullshit.
Yeah, I've found it takes about 12-21 days. That's pretty shitty they quoted you 6 days though, certainly sounds like typical AP bullshit

A-10 warthog
I was thinking more along the lines of the MiG-17

Hope I can help folks sort out this new piece and whether they'd like it or not
Would you say that the biggest upgrade is the adaptability with a lack of silicone?

That's all I would really want. It's not going to make it a new device, but if I can get rid of silicone, then that's one check-list item off the 'reasons to get new-vape' list.

Last edited:

almost there

has anyone ever had an issue registering their hopper? I have a ss model that has to be RMA'ed in under 3 weeks:disgust: of ownership. The site keeps rejecting the serial number on my unit:shrug:, trying to get this done asap before those PFE's run out

almost there,
Reactions: Vapor_Eyes

diddymao

aint no party like a diddy party
not a problem bro, is it a new unit or second hand? i`m wondering if anyone finds my avatar offensive ? first time anyone`s called me killer lol

diddymao,
Reactions: Al..

almost there

not a problem bro, is it a new unit or second hand? i`m wondering if anyone finds my avatar offensive ? first time anyone`s called me killer lol
bought it brand spanking new and it came out of the box wheezing. I could have sent it back sooner but I just didn't want to part with it as soon as I got it. Would have just kept using it like that but now it flip flops between barely any vapor to big giant clouds coupled with super hot back end.

I was calling you "killer" bc that is the term of affection I use instead of "dude" or "bro", lol.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Would you say that the biggest upgrade is the adaptability with a lack of silicone?
I will be using the silcone far less, if at all, that's for sure. The PFE seems to actually be about as self-cleaning as HL touts the rest of the device to be. I'm expecting resin to appear from somewhere and so far there's been none apparent. I like this about it!

MoltenTiger

I will be using the silcone far less, if at all, that's for sure. The PFE seems to actually be about as self-cleaning as HL touts the rest of the device to be. I'm expecting resin to appear from somewhere and so far there's been none apparent. I like this about it!
Yeah that sounds pretty good overall. I ended up grabbing two, gotta be able to double adapt.
I won't receive them for a month or so though, but at least I've got new batts and serviced hoppers to look forward to with them.
Using the EQ is pretty measly compared to the hoppers.. Here's hoping to a quick turn around
Resin free, silicone free life sounds sublime

JCat

Accessory Maker
Just got one of mine back today ... so now I have 2 hoppers that behave erratically instead of one! (you know ... flickering blue lights, not always hot enough but back end too hot, etc.)

Both can be fixed in same way ... loosen back end, rotate dial a bunch of times, tighten back end, try again--if still not working, repeat.

Not super impressed ... :lol: ...

jivebuggered

It's a little dirty and just from my phone, but I think it will help.

This is looking into the mouthpiece

bB2EEmP.jpg
bB2EEmP.jpg

This is straight down the mouthpiece
ghID7pB.jpg

This is looking from the heater towards the front
yeZiFuj.jpg

This is cool vapor on the go with ease! :rockon:
hyFfkB4.jpg

lately I've been running short on the goods :leaf:, I've resorted to mixing AVB with some ground up EC tincture that I dried out. It can get a little gummy, but it tastes surprisingly good until I push it to it's limits. GH is running hot (normal?) again, I can tell because i get at least two bowls from a battery and they last past 3.90V. Last time it was like this, I got a week before sending it in. But she sure is fun when working :clap:

This pic is for you @disGRUNTled , some Bluecheese with a glass of Old Pulteney 18yo, I don't have the views you have in FL yet, but I get to hide in the bedroom while the gf's kids and their friends ransack the house

Hi u must have missed my other post? Could you please tell me what your mini "bubbler" is and where I could get thanks

jivebuggered,
Reactions: JCat

kbrown5523

Hopping in Washington
I got my 2 SS hoppers back today along with my PFE. I go through a lot less herb when I have the hoppers. I can't help loving using them, but wondering the whole time how long they'll last before I have to send them in again. My back ends seem to get pretty darn hot and I have some flicking from the blue lights more often than not, but they do seem to be working, for now.

jivebuggered

I got mine today also, and feel the same as you. I think this will have me using my GH on the go more. I'm thinking @DDave Mi V2 cooler with this will make a nice dry/cool combo on the go with no extra parts needed!

As for the screen, mine looks like it may have been pushed in from the mouthpiece end? Looking inside the mouth piece, the screen looks like it has 3 "tabs" pushed up around the edge as if they were being used to create something digging into the sides to hold it in place. Like inexpensive spring steel fasteners that you push over rods and such. This would match the 6-7 pairs of lines scratched into the inside walls. These lines are the same width apart as those tabs. I can feel ever so slightly that they are scratches, but I don't think they will cause any problems including extra cleaning. They're not deep enough.

I'm guessing these early batches will have a few remnants of the assembly learning curve.

I'm not convinced that they open the airpath much either. I did a very unscientific test by swapping them back and forth and drawing multiple times directly thru them (not thru glass, etc.). I think the inlet is where the blockage is, if I start to pull hard, it has a lot of noise there......

The GH with PFE pairs beautifully with an Orbiter. The small size and hoses are really matched to the GH and its airflow. This could easily replace my Evo/Hydratube or HB Maxx/Hydratube night side table setup. It takes up almost no room, not much more than a can of soda and still delivers the clouds.

It's definitely a keeper :rofl:

Ok thanks for that.

jivebuggered,

biohacker

Part of the fun is the ride :)

Strap on your seatbelt!!!! :D
Just got one of mine back today ... so now I have 2 hoppers that behave erratically instead of one! (you know ... flickering blue lights, not always hot enough but back end too hot, etc.)

Both can be fixed in same way ... loosen back end, rotate dial a bunch of times, tighten back end, try again--if still not working, repeat.

Not super impressed ... :lol: ...

Dude, at least you discovered a FIX that doesn't require an RMA! ;)

lazylathe

Almost there...
So far my Hopper is still going strong with no issues at all!
Batteries blow as they are only a month old and need charging more often in order to have solid lights all the time. I find when the batteries are around 3,9 and below my lights flicker and I sometimes get red lights that flicker. Use a battery for 2 to 3 bowls and then switch, working well for me!

I did use it last night through an empty WT! It was amazing!! So flavorful and cloudy!! Effects seemed to be a lot better as well, so I may stick to dry use only! No coughing or anything, just lots of vapor!

Top Bottom