Discontinued The Grasshopper

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
So much tension here lately....

56147281.jpg

I was going to post this, but I ended up going with cows. They make me happy and I hoped they would make others happy too.

I love this group. I really do. All of the inputs and commentaries are part of what makes my day interesting and gives me a sense of community here.
Let's keep in mind that we are typing, not speaking, and no one can hear the inflections of the voice in one's head as he types, and can misconstrue sarcasm for ill-intent.

I'm not saying there are never any asshole comments. The entire world is on edge, and it infects everything. I snap at my best friends and immediately I see the pain in their eyes; and I didn't even mean something the way it seemed to come out.

OK, so,

That is so true... I just starting using the FW4 today.. I had to figure some shit out, but I get how to use it enough to eventually get a very nice experience... BUT, the Hopper is a MONSTER. And I think I'm actually beginning to be able to determine which strains I have that are "weaker" than others. That is the first step in determining consistency in performance, for me at least.
If you have a strain that you know is potent, my advise is to try and never run out of it until you find another strain of equal strength. It's like a gold-standard for measurement of Hopper health. Fuck, it's the only way to know for sure.

How many times does it happen that you take a draw, feel the hot air, and are perplexed that the cloud wasn't nearly enough for what you thought you should've gotten? I'm betting 3 to 1 that it's the herb status (moisture, potency, grind).

I say this impartially, as I have not studied all the posts, but, how many of us have made comments or posted things that we sooner or later realize were ignorant or a bit acerbic? I have, and I always hope they go unnoticed. Sometimes I say dickish things. And I'm grateful those who may hear them let it go.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Like I said earlier, the man has his shit ALL-together.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I've been catching up on this thread today and it has been one wild ride. @biohacker's personal journey alone has been fascinating reading material.

The vibe in this thread kept getting shittier until it turned into a Fuck Shit Stack.

I'm almost afraid to dip my toe in the water and post here but I feel I should give an update on my hopping status.

My first Hopper, the SS, is 7 months old and has had one warranty procedure. My Ti is almost 5 months old and had one warranty procedure. Both times the process was cheap, painless, and fast. If I had to do it as often as some of you guys I might be pissed off too, but two instances in an effective twelve month span isn't entirely unreasonable, especially when it's so easy. I've heard horror stories of people trying to get other vapes serviced.

Both of my Hoppers have always flickered, even with a brand new fully charged battery. They have always performed great, besides the brief periods they were out of commission. I don't think flickering blue lights is a sign of Hopper health at all.

My GHB1s have declined noticeably and I can barely get one chamber out of them. I also notice they have more charge left when discharged, it usually reads up to 3.83, a fresh battery is pretty consistently around 3.7. Vapor production is also starting to decrease noticeably. My GHB2 that I got for free with my Ti warranty repair is still going strong, I try not to use it as much. It's definitely time to get some fresh batteries and ditch the GHB1s.

Last edited:

biohacker

Decided to dig up my newer GH's and do some part swap testing with my older two. So, it appears that my re-post of those reddit snippets yesterday just may be bang on, and it all may have to do with fitment issues. I seem to not get any blue flickering and inconsistent performance when I use the new ti backend on my old ti body. Works perfectly! So as long as I mix up my parts I may be good!

So maybe there is something to minor variations in tolerance of the components, resulting in piss poor behaviour in some new GH's, and kick ass performance in others?

duff

Well worn
FWIW, I'm relatively new here (started lurking sometime around Jan 16) and have watched countless folks go through the same thing as I did.

The cycle for the most part follows the same trajectory.
  1. Honeymoon
  2. Intermittent issues
  3. RMA/frustration
  4. Repeat (or go to step 2 or worse, step 3 again)...
  5. Get a backup
We all deal with it differently and I'm thankful for you bums and all of the frustration, bad jokes, cryptic acronyms and high times we (and by we I mean you) share.

@Icon13, you have our sympathy and understanding. No need to abandon civility. Especially with a bunch of bad hombres like us.

When it works, it's fits a couple of niches nicely. When it doesn't, which is way too often, it's achingly aggravating.

We all bought this before it was officially released and knew what we were potentially getting ourselves into. There is a lot of wisdom in not buying a car in the first year of production/redesign.
Frankly, I've spent more on vapes that I was never happy with and have been in a drawer for years.

It will be interesting to see what next steps (or heaven forbid, missteps) HL takes.
Maybe in the second iteration of the manual it will say tap it real damn hard!

sixstringsmash

Here's an update of my missing top screen fiasco:

So Caroline from GHL got in touch with me a little under twenty four hours after I last sent them an email. The tone of the email made me sound very hopeful that my problem will be resolved relatively painlessly but at the same time I can't help but complain about the lack of a phone line or live chat service. I responded to the email that I received within an hour or two of receiving it and it's been around twenty four hours again since I last sent that email and I'm still waiting for a response. After I get my invalid serial number registered I'm then also going to have to file a warranty claim(but I can't do this until I hear back from GHL that my hopper has been registered) and I just can't help but feel like this whole process is going to probably take the better part of a week when it could easily be solved in under five minutes with a phone line or chat service(or at least a response time of less than twenty four hours with email).

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
While I agree with your assessment of the sometimes irrational/unscientific behaviors folks exhibit, I also take issue with this statement.
The back end regulates temperature, for one thing. Isn't this a process, not simply a completed circuit?

The backend is actually the brains of the device. It has no wires and the backend communicates with the heater through the battery, my simple country lobbyist attempt at talking engineering

Gramin

Day 2 and still cop lights. I'm going to give the LED holes a gentle blast of compressed air and try again.

I have to admit that after reading here someone dropping their GH in the bath and surviving, and now another person putting ISO in the battery compartment. I'm fully tempted to try a 100% submerged body in pure ISO clean. Give it a few days in the sun to dry out 100% and try again.

You will all advise against this I'm sure.

Day 2 and still cop lights. I'm going to give the LED holes a gentle blast of compressed air and try again.

I have to admit that after reading here someone dropping their GH in the bath and surviving, and now another person putting ISO in the battery compartment. I'm fully tempted to try a 100% submerged body in pure ISO clean. Give it a few days in the sun to dry out 100% and try again.

You will all advise against this I'm sure.
Good idea unless there is something that the iso could soften/disolve/compromise. I would myself try it. I dont think the HL could tell.

MoltenTiger

In fact I'm betting the chinese can come out with a much better snide copy
How much and what time frame are we talking here? :)
FWIW hardware is simple to copy and happens constantly. Backwards engineering software is a different story and will keep the hoppers design and dynamics exclusive to HL.
There are plenty of companies out there eyeing this shit off.
Watch the market react, China is getting closer off the back of western engineers. It's possible but I'd bet good money it won't be for 3 years until a cheap China vape does something desirable, or is even comparable to the hopper.
Arizer out of Canada and S&B from Germany are the places to watch.

What is the best way to store these batts?
How long are we talking? If it's less than 6 months, bring them to flashing red lights with the hopper and they should be fine without cycling.
Cycling certainly isn't a bad idea though, especially for proper long term down-time.

Anyway, I don't recommend it
Yeah, soaking in very concentrated IPA is relatively safe if you are aware of what you're doing. Most people haven't owned Nokia shops, and so it really can't be openly recommended to the general public.

I'm going to give the LED holes a gentle blast of compressed air
Be careful with condensation, don't click the GH on too soon after doing this.

Give it a few days
Absolutely, 24 hours and it should all be evaporated or very close to it.
The biggest risk however is residue relocated to bridge fine electric connections.
There's quite a difference between washing a PCB and soaking a dirty and assembled device in solvent.
Jaycar sell 99.8% IPA for electronics cleaning. They are one of the cheapest sources in Aus, 9 bucks for 250mL! Gotta love paying drinking tax on industrial goods xD

-----------------------------

The back-end is complex, it has a voltage potentiometer and a PCB with a microcontroller.
It certainly can cause issues, though it's been infrequent, but more concerning is how subtle the difference of performance is. With only a single device, it'd be frustrating because although the device works somewhat normally, the power to the heater takes a hit and the vapour production declines. With nothing to actively compare to, it's not obvious if something is wrong.

I've had a more than a few issues with my GH as I approach my hopperversary.

• Red light then power off - temperamental issue, occasionally the device worked but the red lights lingered for 10+ seconds. Body replaced.
  • Rapid blue light but no heat - also temperamental, eventuated to cop lights. Body then replaced.
  • Cop lights - most likely caused by backflow (caused by using a 25cm silicone whip) and separately frm IPA damage to the device (Avoid/let it dry!!!) 3 bodies replaced.
  • Dodgy back-end - performance with my original back-end eventually became completely disparate to my second hopper's back-end. I told HL and after filing warranty they sent me another. That was nearly 3 months ago. Though I've been using my plain Ti body since October and it's showing no signs of slowing down.
The hopper uses pulse width modulation to actively monitor the heater temperature, read up on the other companies producing vapes doing this. Errybody having troubles, but no one else has as good a warranty

@JoeMama cheers for the juicy data. I'll admit I've reached saturation at this point haha!
Like others, and being from a fully illegitimate cannabis area, I've for sure noticed the merit of using the dankest of dank. And I do feel that, with my latest performance woes, the particular bud I was using was the worst of a really nice batch of Red Beard. I'd like to ascociate the anemic clouds to it, but I feel more confident saying that the power source was the culprit. Replacing the used battery with one charged the previous day showed similar anemicness, getting a fully charged one straight off the charger gave me the cloud results I was chasing - but most importantly, the ABV was much darker too.

Last edited:

biohacker

I have no other vapes anymore other than the GH (last o....but I have 4 of them so i'm probably more of a pussy than brave.

Gotta echo the herb quality reflecting performance of the device. Last night I tried some blueberry cheesecake which looked pretty decent and smelled fragrant, however compared to some other strains, the vapour production appeared about 50% less. On the other hand, when you do use a high oil quality strain, the GH makes it SHINE!!! Like Banana Kush!

It's kinda refreshing knowing that all my parts seem to work, but I need to shuffle them up between hoppers!

Last night's testing lab!

iqZ2QZ6.jpg

MoltenTiger

I mean it's possible, but come on haha.

I'd happily take a single hopper, either, for a trip somewhere. I'd rarely have the need though, so probably won't (I do currently carry one if I'm only out for a day or two). But, if you were actually new to bud and vaping, the GH would kick your ass and it'd stay alive more easily (my friends had them since August 8th, not a single issue, and for one it's their only vape) GHB1s, never cleaned, works and looks brand new.

@biohacker can I pm you my post address for a slice of cake? Haha
PS sick spoon

Try and isolate the dodgy bits and get em swapped. Then buy three claisens :freak:

Last edited:

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
@biohacker Yep that is what a real hopper lover should do ..

Own more then one :smug:

I been thinking about if I should get just another hopper instead of a different vape and a different rollecoaster but how is the FW4 working out for .. Uh.. Who just bought a Firewood4?

I am mobile and awkward position to be able to go back searching :goat:

biohacker

I'll buy a supreme v3 again soon just for variety, and because it's also like the best damn vape out there and a great compliment to the GH if you don't mind a torch vape. I sold mine because I burned myself on the block too many times! lol

Other than that, I will buy the new Arizer portable, and still keeping my finger on the pulse for new GH's and see what's what.

I do not miss my Crafty nor Mighty!

Mr. Me2

@biohacker Yep that is what a real hopper lover should do ..

Own more then one :smug:

I been thinking about if I should get just another hopper instead of a different vape and a different rollecoaster but how is the FW4 working out for .. Uh.. Who just bought a Firewood4?

I am mobile and awkward position to be able to go back searching :goat:
That would be @JoeMama.

Okay,I tattled...

Baron23

There is nothing silly about it. There is no proof that helped anybody. These devices operate at such an intermittent level that just because it starts working after tapping it on something doesn't necessarily means that's what fixed it. I've seen mine do countless weird things that can't be explained and then randomly stopped doing them out of nowhere. The bottom line is, grasshopper labs has posted that the immediate Bluelight issue is a heat sensor issue on their troubleshooting page. So again, tapping it against something to get rid of the blue light problem is the only silly thing.
I also think its funny...in a rather sad way. Reminds me of when I was in the USAF. I was talking to an avionics tech on the flight line of an F-4 wing when I saw she had a large rubber mallet in her tool box. I asked what the mallet was for....she said to fix the fire control system. Upon seeing my quizzical look, she said that the first thing they did when a bird landed with bad FCS is smack the crap out of all of the black boxes with the rubber mallet! Apparently it would get seat some lose connections and work from time to time...well, until the next time the bird pulled g's and shaked and baked and the basically bad connection would go bad yet again.

Never felt quite the same about going up in those birds. LOL

To me, its silly. If the pin unseated or even if it reseated upon shipping, either the design is inadequate in general or the build of that particular device is not up to snuff. But now way would I accept tapping on my thigh as a fault resolution. At the very best, its a band-aid and something is wrong in there.

Gramin

I wonder what other GH owners think of the Davinci IQ? I'm kinda envious of that 80 minute battery life and native support for water pipes. But again it's a fairly expensive and no doubt a road with a few bumps just like the Hopper.

I'm still going to wait to see what Arizer do before I assess a 3rd portable vape. Maybe I'm due a desktop...

natural farmer

I wonder what other GH owners think of the Davinci IQ? I'm kinda envious of that 80 minute battery life and native support for water pipes. But again it's a fairly expensive and no doubt a road with a few bumps just like the Hopper.

I'm still going to wait to see what Arizer do before I assess a 3rd portable vape. Maybe I'm due a desktop...
I wouldn't even dare to compare the Hopper to the IQ! Hopper is years ahead every way you look at it, ok, except battery life, but then again if it had better batteries it would be bigger and heavier. And pricing? IQ should probably cost a hundred bucks less for what it is... Or Hopper a hundred more? Shhhh....

Top Bottom