Discontinued The Grasshopper

Icon13

Serial Vapist
If you don't live in the United States, don't buy a Hopper. You will get eaten alive on international shipping costs for every warranty request you have to fill out. I received mine on October 7th and I'm on my 3rd (I technically call it 3rd and a half).

1. Oct. 10th: Red light never turns blue then instead goes dark and does not heat up. Also lost ability to charge afterwards.

2. Oct. 17th: Body replaced. New body works, but still does not charge.

3. New charger received a few weeks later due to my own procrastination. Still does not charge.

4. Tonight: blue and red lights off death.

Thank God I have an external charger! A lot of good that does me now though :doh:.

Edit: oh, and I should add I live in California. I'm just saying...

However, when it works, it works great! I'll give them that. Hopefully they can get some venture capital to fix the QA and streamline production.

Last edited:
Icon13,

Office_Printer

My hopper apparently jumped out of its box on the journey from London to the US. It has been stuck in Tennessee for a week. When I called they said the package was received "empty". But they could not tell me anything else, like how they knew it was "empty" or whether the box was damaged. Vendor is figuring it out.

Icon13

Serial Vapist
Sorry for my bad English I really don't understand what you mean for threads, the threads to clean with Deoxite . It's not the contact in the back end , is it where you screw /unscrew the back end ? Thanks for the answer
Yes, where you screw.

Don't use Deoxite. I think that was decided. Use "blu tack" instead.

voodoo_vape

Vapour RebeL
Does GHL have a FB Page?

Seems like a silly question, or even a silly thing for them to have, because, if I was on FB and I was having this kind of issue with GH, I'd be slingin shit all over that fucking timeline.

Just sayin

there you go https://www.facebook.com/grasshoppervape/

Although I think that these guys don't really give a shit anymore.. It's outrageous what's happening for the past several months. If it wasn't for such a long wait, I'd cancel my order. Although I think that with such cases like @Bass Vaper and @Icon13 and several other fellow FC'ers it's really worth cancelling it. And the quote just below:

If you don't live in the United States, don't buy a Hopper. You will get eaten alive on international shipping costs for every warranty request you have to fill out. I received mine on October 7th and I'm on my 3rd (I technically call it 3rd and a half).

1. Oct. 10th (day before my birthday): Red light never turns blue then instead goes dark and does not heat up. Also lost ability to charge afterwards.

2. Body replaced. New body works, but still does not charge.

3. New charger received. Still does not charge.

4. Tonight: blue and red lights off death.

Thank God I have an external charger! A lot of good that does me now though :doh:

Edit: oh, and I should add I live in California. I'm just saying...

Makes me think about it even more. So if you just have too many warranty claims and the cost get high enough and you don't want to continue shipping it over and over again, you will just end up with a faulty unit that you will eventually stick it up your ass and enjoy it.....
If I may ask, anyone from EU that had to send it back, how much was the cost more or less?

Icon13

Serial Vapist
I should add that GHL responded to each warranty request promptly and thus far I have only experienced 1 week of downtime. They were able to assist me in diagnosing the unit on the first warranty request so I did not have send it in and increase my downtime.

Overall, once I received a unit, their CS has been very cool. Their main concern at this point should be on reliability.

Al..

Although I think that these guys don't really give a shit anymore.. It's outrageous what's happening for the past several months. If it wasn't for such a long wait, I'd cancel my order. Although I think that with such cases like @Bass Vaper and @Icon13 and several other fellow FC'ers it's really worth cancelling it. And the quote just below:

Makes me think about it even more. So if you just have too many warranty claims and the cost get high enough and you don't want to continue shipping it over and over again, you will just end up with a faulty unit that you will eventually stick it up your ass and enjoy it.....
If I may ask, anyone from EU that had to send it back, how much was the cost more or less?
Hi i'm from the UK and it cost me £8 to send a hopper middle back!..

MoltenTiger

An advantage of having multiple faults one after the other, is you can return all the parts together.
Returning parts from Australia is cheap enough to deal with, the benefit of having the GH is worth much more to me.
Plus with the amount of herb I use, the price of my tool of choice to use it is negligible, from the upfront cost, to the upkeep, including battery replacement and occasional warranty return. The price of herb quickly eclipses the price of the hopper, especially over a year or more.
It's certainly annoying when a device dies, but the cost of resolution is quickly expended IME.
No regrets from my end of the world, about as far away from HL as you can be.

Every time I travel back to my home town I usually have a smoke with a few different people, the hopper is a priceless acquisition for me as now I have a viable alternative, wherever I end up.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Plus with the amount of herb I use, the price of my tool of choice to use it is negligible, from the upfront cost, to the upkeep, including battery replacement and occasional warranty return. The price of herb quickly eclipses the price of the hopper, especially over a year or more.
It's certainly annoying when a device dies, but the cost of resolution is quickly expended IME.
No regrets from my end of the world, about as far away from HL as you can be.

Keeping things in perspective is what has helped me along the hazardous highway to happy hopping.
Being an older person I've had many, many opportunities to make bad decisions and waste a lot of money. From bad dope up in smoke to bad stocks that went belly-up to you fucking name it, and you know what? This whole Grasshopper thing, in terms of my dollars, is miniscule in light of a lifetime of 'learning experiences'. And my small investment has yet to be proven a bad decision! Quite the contrary, I'm thoroughly enjoying using Hoppers, getting new parts, keeping up with ?progress? and all of it.
I happen to be close to a Post Office and sending a Hopper body to HL costs me under 3 dollars.

I bought 4 Hoppers, gave two away.
With the two I purchased for myself (1 Ti and 1 SS) I could easily demonstrate that my purchase in total to date including mailings, has cost about 40% less than my 1 Mighty experience. Mighty's warranty will expire 4 months from now. (Original Crafty, $400, battery $50, upgrade to Mighty $60 = $510)

This is still good advice, and has been all along: If you are not using disposable money, you should not be throwing any money at Hopper Labs. Buy an MFLB or something economical with a proven track record.

Of course there are things I find unpleasant and things that seem grossly uneven in how HL has been conducting business, but I'd prefer to be more concerned about how a company like Diebold is comporting itself. Perspective.

biohacker

Really appreciate the perspective @vapviking as I tiptoe back on to the GH thread to take another peek. Have a SS and Ti on their way...couldn't turn down an offer for a trade for a Mighty and Crafty! Hopefully I fall for them, and if not no big deal they will just get paid forward and somebody else will get their chance to play!

TheWhisper

My SS Hopper has been working fine since I received my only/first replacement backend in the beginning of June. No issues with the device.

Unfortunately, I partially stripped one of my two batteries by dropping it, and don't feel it's safe to use. Advice?

btka

I am from EU and it costs me 7 euros shipping it back... but you can buy it from an european retailer so you will not pay to ship to us...

In my opinion or for my needs there is no other (portable) vape which is better then the gh... also my loved e-nano is collecting dust and I am trying to get rid of mostly all other vapes I own... vapes I owned and think the gh is better (for my use)... volcano, e-nano, crafty, firewood 3, cera, vapman, lotus, vapcap, hi log vapes, elevape smart vape...

I am using it most of the time with an empty bubbler... and no other vape I mentioned before can milk the bubbler
like the gh also it is very easy to use turn on and vape... it is really powerfull for its size and a lot of desktop vapes are not as powerful as the gh... at the end I love this vape... would hope to have not to deal with warranty in the future... but until now warranty was quick and painless...

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Really appreciate the perspective @vapviking as I tiptoe back on to the GH thread to take another peek. Have a SS and Ti on their way...couldn't turn down an offer for a trade for a Mighty and Crafty! Hopefully I fall for them, and if not no big deal they will just get paid forward and somebody else will get their chance to play!
Hey! nice to see you over here (again). If I recall, you jumped in and then back out of the hopper pool pretty quickly once before?
We'll look forward hearing your feedback.
I hope you will have warranty coverage on these, and maybe look for some 5 X 7 bubble envelopes on sale!
Kidding aside, I hope you enjoy.

Hawk

My SS Hopper has been working fine since I received my only/first replacement backend in the beginning of June. No issues with the device.

Unfortunately, I partially stripped one of my two batteries by dropping it, and don't feel it's safe to use. Advice?

You can use heat shrink. I haven't investigated what size heat shrink you will need for the GBH's. I know for my 18650 29.5mm width heat shrink is what I use. n I would think a heat shrink around 18mm should do.

Should be PVC heat shrink. Like this. https://www.amazon.ca/29-5mm-Shrink...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Q1X9TXGF1T4FN1NG0F8W

**EDIT found this one. Its 17mm and just might be perfect.

https://www.amazon.ca/Long-17mm-Shr...19020&sr=1-16&keywords=pvc+heat+shrink+tubing

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
You can use heat shrink. I haven't investigated what size heat shrink you will need for the GBH's. I know for my 18650 29.5mm width heat shrink is what I use. n I would think a heat shrink around 18mm should do.

**EDIT found this one. Its 17mm and just might be perfect.

https://www.amazon.ca/Long-17mm-Shr...19020&sr=1-16&keywords=pvc+heat+shrink+tubing

Should this be a concern? (from the product description of this shrink tubing);
"Operating Temperature: -55C-+105C"
Hopper gets really hot sometimes.

My other minor concern would be making the battery thicker by adding anything. It's already a pretty snug fit in Hopper. I recently scratched a Hopper battery pretty good, and given that it was more than halfway through its' seven dollar life, I tossed it.

vapviking,

Hawk

Should this be a concern? (from the product description of this shrink tubing);
"Operating Temperature: -55C-+105C"
Hopper gets really hot sometimes.

My other minor concern would be making the battery thicker by adding anything. It's already a pretty snug fit in Hopper. I recently scratched a Hopper battery pretty good, and given that it was more than halfway through its' seven dollar life, I tossed it.

The battery chamber should never get that hot or something is seriously wrong with your hopper. Also would be very bad for the battery if it gets that hot. The wrapping already on the battery is PVC so would most likely have the same specs.

You wouldn't be making the battery thicker since you are replacing the wrap, not putting the wrap over top the old wrap.

Mr. Me2

I would recommend tossing that battery.

A little while ago I noticed a "tear" at the top of one of my batteries (near the nipple). I emailed Caroline @ghl, and she quickly replied that I should not use the battery if it's casing was in any way compromised (my words here, not hers).

So personally, I wouldn't take a chance...

kato1234

A little while ago I noticed a "tear" at the top of one of my batteries (near the nipple). I emailed Caroline @ghl, and she quickly replied that I should not use the battery if it's casing was in any way compromised (my words here, not hers).

There are a number of videos on Youtube showing you how to rewrap batteries. They are there for the nic vapers. The ones they show are for bigger 18mm batteries. FT sells different sizes of heatshrink wrappers made for batteries I haven't checked to see if they have ones that will fit these. Most of the 18mm ones I use have had their wrappers replaced and they work fine. DO NOT use a battery with a torn wrapper especially near the nipple it can short out the battery causing it to vent.

Hawk

As long as you re-wrap the battery with PVC heat shrink you are good to go. I posted links a couple posts above for the wrap you need. Look on youttube to see how to do it. Very simple.

kato1234

As long as you re-wrap the battery with PVC heat shrink you are good to go. I posted links a couple posts above for the wrap you need. Look on youttube to see how to do it. Very simple.
Yes the 17mm ones should fit AA & AAA batteries and the Grasshopper batteries are between those sizes Thanks.

kato1234,

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Warranty In Progress

Just received my replacement body (Ti Purple), tried it out and it knocked me for six.

Now I'm sure my other hopper (Ti Green) is under performing but I don't think by enough to warranty it.

It still gets the job done but my new Purple body completely white walled the Orbiter where the Green does produce a cloud but not of the same intensity.

I do wonder how many people have an under performing GH and don't even know it as they don't have any way to compare.

It's a subtle difference between the two but noticeable.

Icon13

Serial Vapist
Warranty In Progress

Just received my replacement body (Ti Purple), tried it out and it knocked me for six.

Now I'm sure my other hopper (Ti Green) is under performing but I don't think by enough to warranty it.

It still gets the job done but my new Purple body completely white walled the Orbiter where the Green does produce a cloud but not of the same intensity.

I do wonder how many people have an under performing GH and don't even know it as they don't have any way to compare.

I noticed. Mine seemed to degrade in performance over time. I am waiting on a new body due to the flashing red/blue lights.

biohacker

Hey! nice to see you over here (again). If I recall, you jumped in and then back out of the hopper pool pretty quickly once before?
We'll look forward hearing your feedback.
I hope you will have warranty coverage on these, and maybe look for some 5 X 7 bubble envelopes on sale!
Kidding aside, I hope you enjoy.

Yeah received mine DOA (worked only on highest temp then stopped), then the replacement didn't get as hot on the top end...ended up selling it to a member here. I was bored, thought it was a decent trade, went back through and searched for my posts and some of my posts like "game changer" made me think another shot was in order. Actually, I always intended to buy another hopper when they mass produced, etc. so I guess i'm just beta testing again but I know what i'm getting into!

The Ti has an unregistered warranty and the SS is through a member here so should be good. I can't get into the warranty game, as it's not cheap cross border shipping (canada) and just gets too frustrating for me to deal with. Fingers crossed.

This is what I fear! I NEED a hopper that has that high top end that can WHITEWALL....i've seen it done, but i've seen the slightly underperforming, and to me it was a big difference, but everyone is different.

Should have both in my hands tomorrow!

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Yeh I definitely do have a preference for my Purple Ti, even though that's the hopper which has needed two warranties.

The way I see it the green one is an MPV, reliable and practical but not thrilling at all. The Purple is a sports car that needs a frequent service.

Top Bottom