Discontinued The Grasshopper

jabba

Does the hopper smell when you leave it in your pocket with a half finished bowl in it?

Ha...this makes me laugh. I got yelled at the last time I made this comment...but I'll make it again. Weed smells like weed. Weed vapor smells like weed. The GH does not have a magic spell upon which it makes weed smell like cinammon, poop, or roses.

I find that the GH smells considerably less than my Pax 1 did when half cooked. That said...expect a half vaped bowl to smell like....well....(clearing my throat).....a half vaped bowl!

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I think once GH mature, and it's seeming like they have a chance to considering their ability to keep at it all these years, their design should hold up. I think they are currently let down by size of production and experience of workers (not just US side, but outsourced manufacturers are dealing with the same demand).
They certainly have all the equipment needed for good service and acceptable quality assurance, I'm hopeful they pull it together.

It'll be fun to see what happens, but I know whatever I replace my hoppers with will either be a bic and bowl (unlikely) or a VapeXhale portable, pax 3 or some other new-fangled unreleased device. Nothing out there quite compares just yet.

My EQ will keep on rocking endlessly, I just need a next tier vape as immortal

I've got my eye on the Focus Adventurer. User replaceable 18650, built in bubbler(?!?), etc. I have one of their Focus Pro conduction units and it is a nice piece of kit. Got it from PIU for some GREAT customer service and have also had TREMENDOUSLY GREAT customer service from iFOcus - the manufacturer. I got the Pro as a backup for my hoppers (when they arrive) and after my experience with it might get an Adventurer as a convection backup. (Shut up, VAS!!!)

Which reminds me, I promised a review to the Focus Pro thread...

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I've settled into an 'at home' routine I like with the GH. I like to one-hit it throughout the evening with whole nugs (surprise) on three until it stops producing. Then I throw it on a bubbler on 5 and get hammered. Of course, on the road it is way ahead of everything else in terms or stealth, ease and speed of use, and effects.

JoeMama

Only about as much as the herb that's in it. I've never had anybody notice mine in my pocket after use and I carry it around everywhere

Edit: although to be fair I usually have low grade herb without a really strong smell

Ha...this makes me laugh. I got yelled at the last time I made this comment...but I'll make it again. Weed smells like weed. Weed vapor smells like weed. The GH does not have a magic spell upon which it makes weed smell like cinammon, poop, or roses.
I find that the GH smells considerably less than my Pax 1 did when half cooked. That said...expect a half vaped bowl to smell like....well....(clearing my throat).....a half vaped bowl!
That is certainly true, but the Hopper has the benefit of having the herb nearly in a pretty tight seal in the mouthpiece, with two fine screens at either end. I carry mine around constantly clipped to my shirt, eat at restaurants, sit at bars, no one notices or smells anything...

My pax on the other hand, you can smell that thing from two yards away.

Since having my first new Dark Grey body replaced two weeks ago, I've been very happy with my unit; Now that I absolutely know that the driest flower is the best flower, I'm getting what I've been wanting - Consistency!

Mr Mellish

That is certainly true, but the Hopper has the benefit of having the herb nearly in a pretty tight seal in the mouthpiece, with two fine screens at either end. I carry mine around constantly clipped to my shirt, eat at restaurants, sit at bars, no one notices or smells anything...

My pax on the other hand, you can smell that thing from two yards away.

Since having my first new Dark Grey body replaced two weeks ago, I've been very happy with my unit; Now that I absolutely know that the driest flower is the best flower, I'm getting what I've been wanting - Consistency!

Agreed. There is no comparison between the GH and the Pax2. The GH is like your dog several days after a bath. The Pax2 is like your dog after they've rolled in something. I thought I had a good hiding place for the Pax2 but it reeked so I had to find a place that was more remote

JoeMama

Agreed. There is no comparison between the GH and the Pax2. The GH is like your dog several days after a bath. The Pax2 is like your dog after they've rolled in something. I thought I had a good hiding place for the Pax2 but it reeked so I had to find a place that was more remote
Yup. Actually I have a great 3D airtight case that perfectly fits my Pax2; t only reeks when I take it out, but yep, it reeks.

AJS

Calm Consistency
Got a used Hopper on the way from a good FC friend! Haven't been this excited since...well, my last vape purchase! The mid-shipment high you get knowing something is on the way, oh boy.

Both my vapes right now are manual, but my last vapes were regulated and I very much miss it. Can't wait to get the regulation back through the GH. Super excited to explore the lower temps, going to be much nicer when I'm out at the coffee shop I go to. I'll get some pictures of it casually hanging out with me...Hope you guys like pictures, I tend to take quite a few with a nice narrative, haha. Look forward to hanging out with y'all.

Last edited:

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Haven't paid a lot of attention to the RBT lineup since I'm giving my Hopper a chance to fail entirely before I get anything new, but in the course of viewing things on reddit randomly I've seen lots of people complaining about how the company owner has been, uhh, shall we say difficult towards prospective customers, and I've seen some pictures of fucked up internals, and heard that they came that way enough to be a significant problem. Though I maybe also heard some of that has been addressed? Can't remember. That's all anecdotal of course, but it's been enough static for me to hold off on ordering one as yet

Don't be fooled by those haters. IIRC, there was one guy that got banned over here and decided to go on a crusade against RBT on Reddit, where it's easy to throw unmoderated s#!t around and making awareness that way. It's really sad to see that and in no way represent my experience with the man himself nor his products. FC is the home of RBT and the products have been developed with the help of well reputated members - it's a nice and friendly crowd and the Mi is truly outstanding. Hope to see you around in the thread! :)

On another note:
Grey Ti still working. Light to moderate use - but always thru water (handheld "hammer" 6-arm perc from DH)
Could see the blue flickering lights more and more. Cleaned the threads and we'll see...

MoltenTiger

Just tried both my units, and they worked (heated up)

I'm unsure what to make of it, it could have been portably charged batteries not working, or who knows.

I expected them to start working again after some time, same thing happened before. Will report back with any eventuations.

I don't know if I can fault a company for not offering perfection, per se; But I fault them for their unappealing customer interface. OK, maybe they have Facebook (I don't use FB, I prefer to call it AssBook), but I'm talking about the way you just don't feel like you're the most important thing to them.

To be fair, though, and to your point, Molten, If they came out with a flawless device and there was hardly a need for repair issues, then they don't "need" an appealing customer interface. We'd all be happy with if GHL was nothing more than a vending machine for great working Hoppers. Alas....

This is actually a very attractive thought.... I've always loved my Paxes because they were reliable and reliable. And reliable. And they played with us here on FC, helped us, informed us. They paid attention.
I take great pleasure in imagining the boys and girls at Pax learning all about the shit GHL has put people through, whilst working on their own convection vape, and I don't give a shit if it doesn't look like a pen; if it's stealthy and sweet and kicks ass, the Hopper will wind up in the drawer. And not because it's just better, but because I prefer the company.

It's just a dream.
Yeah, never expect perfection. For me the GH is really close, as long as it's working.
I think HLs customer interface is reasonable, however I agree they don't do a good job of prioritising the customer, but in that respect everyone gets equal treatment strictly.
I don't like that approach so much, but it gets the job done and means consistency (consistently annoying if you make requests, but streamlined if you follow directions).
There is some sense of prioritisation if you reply immediately to an email. I have had several back-and-forths with Caroline, though it seems harder to do now with more customers for them to deal with.

One day there will be a new device out there that is a no-brainer purchase, as it stands today there are lots of products close to, but none that I've seen to offer me that.
There's lots of potential in the field, so future products will be very interesting, especially if powered by mature, tried and trusted companies.

On that note, cheers @moondog for the Focusvape tip, I will look into the Adventurer

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

I've been able to get consistently good hits from my units. Hard to say at this point if I'll need to warranty them, it's pretty strange and totally disconcerting knowing that they've both stopped working now. The hoppers do put a great spin on the high, which I am thoroughly enjoying. I might consider sending one away for testing, but more than likely I'll keep using them until warranty is a necessity like before.

They work so well, when they do, I am completely uninterested in anything else. Except perhaps an identical vape with certified reliability, though as long as the warranty holds up... fairly content being a hopper-head

Mr. Me2

I've been able to get consistently good hits from my units. Hard to say at this point if I'll need to warranty them, it's pretty strange and totally disconcerting knowing that they've both stopped working now. The hoppers do put a great spin on the high, which I am thoroughly enjoying. I might consider sending one away for testing, but more than likely I'll keep using them until warranty is a necessity like before.

They work so well, when they do, I am completely uninterested in anything else. Except perhaps an identical vape with certified reliability, though as long as the warranty holds up... fairly content being a hopper-head
Mine acted funky and then started working. And then I got the police lights of death (about a week later). I hope that doesn't happen to you, but information is power.

And on the bright side, ghl warranty was easy, painless (except for missing my gh) and super fast.

Mr.Sifter

How long do you have to wait when you send your Hoppers for RMA ?

How long does it take the hopper to load full from a usb powerbank ?

Mr.Sifter,

Mr. Me2

From making my warranty claim to having the replacement part in hand took 5 days for me. And I'm on the east coast

Sorry, can't help with your second question

MoltenTiger

Mine acted funky and then started working. And then I got the police lights of death (about a week later). I hope that doesn't happen to you, but information is power.

And on the bright side, ghl warranty was easy, painless (except for missing my gh) and super fast.
Yeah I'm expecting something like this to happen, though haven't had any weird performances like last time with cop lights, just the one time they didn't want to work. Only one fault was valid on their flow chart so who knows what was up with my plain Ti.

Between postage paid one way, generally 5-8 days for RMA.

They take a bit over an hour to charge at the optimum rate of 0.5A, which the included charger seems to do and my Xtar MC2 external charger too, which can be plugged into a USB powerbank

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My plain Ti went dead so a new body was sent, a little over a week to get it. I just received it this past Monday (Sept 12.). It's been working fine, I seem to get flickering blue pretty early, but okay performance other than that. Today I charged using the factory charger for the first time with this body. I've been pretty religiously using the D2. After it charged I decided to try a bowl with the hopper plugged in (never tried that before). That went fine, so did it again, this time only red light, and I can hear the ticking but no heat develops, after about tens second it turns off. This is all that happens now, plugged in or not, fresh battery, etc, ng.
In an ironic (but good) twist, my 'repaired' SS hopper is in the mailman's bag out for delivery so it could be here any minute now. We used to call that Just-in-time-Inventory!

Edit: Yup, 15 minutes later and now the SS is here. Doing some burn offs...

Last edited:
I rotate vapes though the hopper and ff2 make that difficult. Ff2 taste hopper speed and stealth. My use of hopper has been only 10 times since aug 19. I clean after every use. This time i noticed some black gunk in the hopper battery compartment at the positive end. It came out in a small chunk and black stain on q-tip. Too much for oxidation. So what is this stuff.

Heat is the killer for electronic components so I clean everything real carefully especially looking for stuff that could cause arcing.

Worried about batteries so trying to figure out how to test them so i know whether i got a hopper or battery issue.
Getting a bt-c3100 to see if i can understand the condition of the batteries.

So far results have been good and sort of inconsistent. But always at least good.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Got a used Hopper on the way from a good FC friend! Haven't been this excited since...well, my last vape purchase! The mid-shipment high you get knowing something is on the way, oh boy.

Both my vapes right now are manual, but my last vapes were regulated and I very much miss it. Can't wait to get the regulation back through the GH. Super excited to explore the lower temps, going to be much nicer when I'm out at the coffee shop I go to. I'll get some pictures of it casually hanging out with me...Hope you guys like pictures, I tend to take quite a few with a nice narrative, haha. Look forward to hanging out with y'all.

Happy I could hook you up dude! :tup:
You're going to have some fun, while I still find it to be less satisfying than more analog low tech vapes (ie DaisyBrick & Milaana, which I can actually use more stealthily than GH in many situations) its temp regulated pure convection on demand is wonderful to behold, as is the sexy high tech design... Enjoy that sexy Blue Ti :drool: and treat it right as I know you will! And I'll keep on keepin on with my meager SS :cool:

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Somebody likes temp 4...
I do like temp 4 a lot, my hopper is set there 90% of the time. I notice flavor drops off much more quickly at 4.5 and higher, and ends up more roasted tasting, which I don't like.

Also, I really like the effects at level 4, especially during the daytime. Here's some good reading in case anyone hasn't seen it:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vaporization-temperature-dependent-selection-of-effects.1637/

If I'm not at temp 4 I'm at temp 5, and I'm almost always using water if I'm at 5.

Today I went to take a hit from my new Ti, not paying much attention. The flavor was good but the vapor was kind of light and wispy, and it wasn't a very satisfying hit. It suddenly occurred to me that the temp dial must have got bumped, sure enough, I was at 3. I've had other times it hit me harder than expected and sure enough, it was at 5.

Needless to say, I'm very familiar with the performance at 4. I should probably doublecheck the temp setting more often too.

Last edited:

Mulehead

Initial impressions of the GHB2's is wow!

I was able to squeeze one extra bowl out of my first, just received batch of batteries.
First battery was pre charged by GHL and read full on my charger but was at 4.15v.

I found myself placing another order for 5 more batteries before I was thru with the first bowl.
My Ti unit seemed to have a kick in the ass!
Or maybe just more of a consistent kick in the ass!

Hopefully this isn't a one off 'A' grade battery, and we're actually seeing GHL's first successful v-2 of something.

Last edited:

Chose

My hopper has kept me happy for Severn months now and I love it as mutch as when I backed it a long time ago it's the nuts . I don't over whelm it I treet it good , I do get warm to hot back end but have learnt how to manage it
It fits my needs 100%
And can put you to bed in 3 mins , so be careful

MoltenTiger

Initial impressions of the GHB2's is wow!

I was able to squeeze one more bowl out of my first, just received batch of batteries.
First battery was pre charged by GHL and read full on my charger but was at 4.15v.

I found myself placing another order for 5 more batteries before I was thru with the first bowl.
My Ti unit seemed to have a kick in the ass!
Or maybe just more of a consistent kick in the ass!

Hopefully this isn't a one off 'A' grade battery, and we're actually seeing GHL's first successful v-2 of something.
Bad ass.

Looks like I'll have something worthy to swap my SS case funds to.

Top Bottom