Discontinued The Grasshopper

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I guess I'm kinda spoiled from issuing my home unit (e-nano). Can any hopper owners tell me what the ideal grind consistency is?
In my experience the Grasshopper responds to grind sizes almost exactly like the nano. So whatever you prefer for the nano should give similar performance in the hopper. I use a SLX grinder that produces a medium fluffy grind.
And to @dfwguy99 - regarding a too warm mouthpiece, have you tried adjusting your lip placement (don't put your lips near the tip). With that adjustment, I never use the cover. And I am usually at 3. I also wait for a complete cool down before another pull
I use the same techniques at temp 4-5 and never use the cover.

Baron23

Regarding grind, I think recommendations are pretty varied. My guess is a fine grind is the only thing to maybe avoid so it doesn't clog up the screens.

Nah, I use a New Vape fine grinder for almost all my herb and have used flower ground in it very successfully with the GH without any issues of debris or clogging.

Now, I have also used whole nugs, hand torn, and just about everything else and it seems to be able to handle them all well.

One note about fine grind.....you will get BIG vapor in my experience. I like using the GH at home with a water tool the best. With fine grind, I can rip 3 big milky hits out of load of fine grind then the load is done. Tell the truth, the 3rd hit is already on the way down. So, it seems to me that fine grind provides more surface area for convection to act on so it extracts perhaps more quickly then larger grind or nugs. Hence the water tool as otherwise the vapor may be a bit much depending on your herb.

Cheers

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
Wow @Joel W. nice job on the battery pack!

I imagine you could easily use this connector with a plug-in power source too, in order to use your hopper without bothering with batteries at all!
Yes, if I can find a clean enough power supply @10A and 4.2v I would have a desktophopper.

(13 loads with 40 level 5 hits so far with this pack.)

Last edited:

MonkeyTime

So, at the beginning of the week I got a glimpse of what this thing can do, then it went cold on me again. I use the word cold intentionally and will explain below.

Knowing that it was capable, I went thru the fixes resource and tried anything and everything that I thought might help. Either one of the procedures helped, or this thing has been auto-fixing itself!

For the last few days this little thing has been hitting really hot and hard, much like many of you are describing. It doesn't matter if I draw fast or slow, it doesn't matter how much material I put in it, if there is anything left in the chamber, I get vapor.

With that all said, this thing is reaching new temperatures in both the vapor and external body temperature. The vapor is hot, much hotter than anything it had pushed out since day one. Because I've been carrying it a lot, my throat is torched! It'll be a weekend with my Evo and nothing else to help it recuperate!

Likewise, both the cone and back end have been getting silly hot. Neither hot enough to burn, but hot enough that I can't hold my hand on it indefinitely.

I had begun to think that maybe it was just a technique issue on my part, but with it in it's current state, I'm not sure that there's a technique that doesn't work.

I've got an Opus BT-C3400 charger and I love it. I checked my batteries early on and since and I don't think there's been any change in them, so I'm ruling out power concerns with these recent improvements.

It really feels like the heater was working at 1/2 wattage before and now is full power. There is that much of a noticeable difference in everything. Could I have changed something with the repeated power button clicking? I haven't heard of anyone else having this sort of "break-in" period, but something has changed.

On top of this new mystery, I've had a busy week (GH came in very handy!) and I never got around to shooting Caroline an email to cancel my order. What do I find in my inbox this morning but an address confirmation email for my Ti and Blue Ti order.

I'm really torn. A big part of me says to change my order to a single SS and run these two in tandem. The other part of me says enjoy the single unit while it works, order more batteries and put it thru it's paces. Send it in when needed and enjoy some of my other vapes while it's away.

For those of you with multiple GH's, how are you using them? Do you pack both and head out or are you just using one with the other around to fill in if repairs are needed?A little insight into the life with multiple units would be greatly appreciated!

Glad to finally understand the GH movement!

MT

JoeMama

Regarding grind, I think recommendations are pretty varied. My guess is a fine grind is the only thing to maybe avoid so it doesn't clog up the screens. I use a medium grind but some prefer just dropping in a small nug. Have fun experimenting!

In my experience the Grasshopper responds to grind sizes almost exactly like the nano. So whatever you prefer for the nano should give similar performance in the hopper. I use a SLX grinder that produces a medium fluffy grind.

Vapor and Me, glad you posted those thoughts, cuz I've been wondering about this... especially the clogged screen idea...

Even with a fluffy grind, isn't there some fine stuff (keef, even) peppering its way down past that screen?
And what, it just "burns off" on the heating element? I wish I could understand how that - at some point - an issue. I'd be happy to have my nerves settled on that one.

Yes, if I can find a clean enough power supply

@Joel W. , I've been catching up on the last couple of pages, and whoa that's a cool adaptation you got there! Kudos! You obviously have the Knack!

Seriously though.... do you have a way of knowing "how clean" the power supply needs to be? Maybe "as clean as any USB output"??

For those of you with multiple GH's, how are you using them? Do you pack both and head out or are you just using one with the other around to fill in if repairs are needed?A little insight into the life with multiple units would be greatly appreciated!

I bought two, both Ti's. I intended to keep one for emergency, and it was indeed the case for me. Within a mongh my Grey failed and while I waited I intended to use the raw Ti, but that one the backend got hot and the thing was weak in vapor production. Luckily the Grey's body was sent back but I kept the backend and used that on the raw Ti. Point is, still, that I had the backup.

Now, recently I realized that during the day I'm vaping Sativa, and at night I do Indica. But then there's always herb leftover that isn't ABV yet; so I have to save it on a little piece of something to reload the next day. And what's leftover in the morning, I have to save for the night. Whoa is me, I know.

So you see where this is heading? May as well use both. And I think using both might be better because it's inevitable that it will fail again, so, the sooner the better to acquire the better revision from GH.

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
Seriously though.... do you have a way of knowing "how clean" the power supply needs to be? Maybe "as clean as any USB output"??

Thanks man...I meant clean as in absolutely no more than 4.2v. really, a little less is ok but the amps need to be up there when it's cold on startup, I'd guess.

I have Uptech's "The Core" system which is rated at 5A up to 8.4v and it has a very fine and accurate voltage adjustment. I may go and try it. It may not like level 5 heat though. :shrug:

(55 level 5 knockout hits so far and the batt pack reads 3.95v) :rockon:

Mr. Me2

Vapor and Me, glad you posted those thoughts, cuz I've been wondering about this... especially the clogged screen idea...

Even with a fluffy grind, isn't there some fine stuff (keef, even) peppering its way down past that screen?
And what, it just "burns off" on the heating element? I wish I could understand how that - at some point - an issue. I'd be happy to have my nerves settled on that one.

I've been using precision q-tips and the Brush that came with the Crafty to keep the oven clean. That screen seems to stay clean...could be that anything does just get burned off. It's the mouthpiece screen that's seems to accumulate more gunk and debris. In addition to a q-tip, I use a poker to dislodge anything stuck. Until it reaches a point of needing an ISO soak.

Chose

Dilemma
One of my battery's was damaged while charging in my nitcore the wrap was damaged slightly so I pulled it off wictch exposed 1mm of pure metal on the side should I discarded this battery or will it be ok
Battery's are hard to come by here in the uk ??????
I know I should bin it but there's a session lost right there
Greedy for the hopper

Last edited:
Chose,
Reactions: JoeMama

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Dilemma
One of my battery's was damaged while charging in my nitcore the wrap was damaged slightly so I pulled it off wictch exposed 1mm of pure metal on the side should I discarded this battery or will it be ok
Greedy for the hopper
I'm sure one of our resident battery experts will chime in with an actual informed opinion, but my understanding is that you should NOT use a battery with a damaged wrap. But again, I'm not a doctor, I don't play one on TV, in fact, I'm scared of doctors.

Hawk

Dilemma
Greedy for the hopper

Don't use it. The bare metal of the battery will touch the GH body and could short out. Never use a battery with damaged wrapper. And since you will be throwing it out if you could rip the wrapping all the way off the battery and see what is written on the battery itself. Most batteries have its specs or its number written on it. I would be really interested to see whats there.

Hawk,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

MoltenTiger

Rewrap the battery. No need to discard it, although it shouldn't be used whilst damaged.
---------

Having two hoppers is good for my usage. It offers a bit of insurance if one dies, but it also eases the workload compared to a single. I can have one charging whilst using the other, meaning less battery changes and more fully charged hits.
Then there's the option of using them in tandem, which is next level. The vapour is really, really dense.

My second unit is my original pre-order and my older unit was bought retail because I was impatient. I wasn't intending to, but I have found I mostly carry them together rather than separately, though mostly only one is needed on the go. My newer unit works marginally better, so I gravitate towards it, but a fully charged battery really is key.
I was happy with my original hopper with it's single battery, though more batteries definitely improved the experience. Receiving my pre-order was a bit overkill perhaps, but it's worth it for the small percs it offers. It is mainly for a back up, as warranty takes ~ a month from Australia, but both hoppers have ended up getting filled as frequently as each other.

JoeMama

I've been using precision q-tips and the Brush that came with the Crafty to keep the oven clean. That screen seems to stay clean...could be that anything does just get burned off. It's the mouthpiece screen that's seems to accumulate more gunk and debris. In addition to a q-tip, I use a poker to dislodge anything stuck. Until it reaches a point of needing an ISO soak.

Dilemma
Greedy for the hopper
I'm sure one of our resident battery experts will chime in with an actual informed opinion, but my understanding is that you should NOT use a battery with a damaged wrap. But again, I'm not a doctor, I don't play one on TV, in fact, I'm scared of doctors.

Myself, I'm scared of clowns.

I have a battery that mysteriously developed a jagged wrap at the positive terminal end; like it had been chafed badly at the top-side circular edge. I can't figure how that would happen, but, there ya go.

Although the battery's metallic case is the negative terminal - as is the case of the hopper -, I still wouldn't choose to use it unwrapped... in fact, whatever heat is generated naturally by the heater to the body will in turn be that much more conducted to the bare battery case.

flyfishwino

For those that travel with your hopper, how is it refilling on the fly? Can you manage to be somewhat discreet in a crowd, lets say at a concert or similar setting. What do you carry your extra flowers in?

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
For those that travel with your hopper, how is it refilling on the fly? Can you manage to be somewhat discreet in a crowd, lets say at a concert or similar setting. What do you carry your extra flowers in?
I use Doob Tubes. You can pour directly from the tube to the Grasshopper's chamber. I have clear ones and black ones, the black ones are very stealthy and allow for discreet loading on the go.

You can buy them at delta3dstudios.com.

JoeMama

:D:D:D
I use Doob Tubes. You can pour directly from the tube to the Grasshopper's chamber. I have clear ones and black ones, the black ones are very stealthy and allow for discreet loading on the go.

You can buy them at delta3dstudios.com.

It would be a fantastic thing to have those black doobtubes at half their length. It'd fit in my pocket better and be easier to handle--- and if it had a cap that was tethered with a Robbin of its own material.

Oh, @Ratchett , hear our call!! :D

Last edited:

UnshavenFish

Dilemma
Greedy for the hopper

Rewrap the battery. No need to discard it, although it shouldn't be used whilst damaged.

^^^this :tup:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/tutorial-re-wrapping-a-battery.485582/

Icon13

Serial Vapist
Yes, if I can find a clean enough power supply @10A and 4.2v I would have a desktophopper.

(13 loads with 40 level 5 hits so far with this pack.)

Try these. Li-Mn. Higher capacity than lithium-ion, higher discharge rate, and a much safer chemistry. No need for PCB either due to chemistry stability.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/lg-hg2-18650.html

By the way there is no such thing as a 4.2V lithium ion cell. All fully charged lithium ion cells, unless regulated by a PCB, are initially 4.2V when fully charged. Lithium ion immediately drops to 3.7V when in use where it will remain pretty much constant until the battery dies. Any company who claims to sell you a 4.2V is simply using clever marketing, and the battery will still only provide 3.7V continuously after the initial 4.2V spike. It is the nature of lithium ion battery chemistry.

Last edited:

vapor.man

FUCK! My hopper combusted after showing me the cop-lights during a draw. Now the red light turns off after a few seconds and the heater clicks 3-4 times. Just informed the retailer where I bought it end of April.
My pre-order arrived at Amsterdam today so I hope I get it next week.

JoeMama

Try these. Li-Mn. Higher capacity than lithium-ion, higher discharge rate, and a much safer chemistry. No need for PCB either due to chemistry stability.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/lg-hg2-18650.html

By the way there is no such thing as a 4.2V lithium ion cell. All fully charged lithium ion cells, unless regulated by a PCB, are initially 4.2V when fully charged. Lithium ion immediately drops to 3.7V when in use where it will remain pretty much constant until the battery dies. Any company who claims to sell you a 4.2V is simply using clever marketing, and the battery will still only provide 3.7V continuously after the initial 4.2V spike. It is the nature of lithium ion battery chemistry.

Icon, thanks for those tech facts; always wondered about why voltages are as they are.

@Joel W. I'm still impressed by your ingenuity on that mega-battery adapter you've made. Especially that body-insert. That in itself is the "way in" to a solution that may eventuate somewhere in the gadget market.

Just imagining here... The backend clicker and temp dial are just an on-off switch and a variable resistor. If there was a way to make a "backend" that brings power to the hopper, while an "On/Off/Temp control" sits on the USB cable (inline like a corded lamp on-off/dimmer control). It would just screw onto the hopper body like a normal backend. So now the hopper has a tail going to the battery pack, and in the middle, or on the battery pack, is the On/Off and a variable for Temp. Sure, who knows what the temp really is, but trial and error and you can figure out the best zones for whatever purposes.

The trick would be that insert, which in this case would have mechanically fit just like a battery; it's merely there to conduct to the inside contact. This is why I'm appointing you, @Joel W. , to burn that midnight oil for us.:clap::rofl:

Seriously I'd pay good money for something like that! And more seriously, I do applaud the great ideas that come from so many of you out there.

EDIT: ... Or, is this a bad idea because of the current that this thing will draw? Heat....

Last edited:

Baron23

I find it very easy. I hold the body in the web between thumb and fore finger with the top of the bowl level or just a tiny bit down from my hand, then pour from whatever container you have your ground herbs in.

Pretty easy although I can see where some with arthritis, movement disorders, or other medical issues may find that a bit more challenging.

By the by, @Ratchett GH funnel is a total winner and makes this even easier. Well worth the purchase as are his other accessories.

http://delta3dstudios.com/portable-vaporizer-accessories/grasshopper-vaporizer/

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Icon, thanks for those tech facts; always wondered about why voltages are as they are.

@Joel W. I'm still impressed by your ingenuity on that mega-battery adapter you've made. Especially that body-insert. That in itself is the "way in" to a solution that may eventuate somewhere in the gadget market.

Just imagining here... The backend clicker and temp dial are just an on-off switch and a variable resistor. If there was a way to make a "backend" that brings power to the hopper, while an "On/Off/Temp control" sits on the USB cable (inline like a corded lamp on-off/dimmer control). It would just screw onto the hopper body like a normal backend. So now the hopper has a tail going to the battery pack, and in the middle, or on the battery pack, is the On/Off and a variable for Temp. Sure, who knows what the temp really is, but trial and error and you can figure out the best zones for whatever purposes.

The trick would be that insert, which in this case would have mechanically fit just like a battery; it's merely there to conduct to the inside contact. This is why I'm appointing you, @Joel W. , to burn that midnight oil for us.:clap::rofl:

Seriously I'd pay good money for something like that! And more seriously, I do applaud the great ideas that come from so many of you out there.

EDIT: ... Or, is this a bad idea because of the current that this thing will draw? Heat....
What you're describing reminds me of the Power Adapter for the MFLB. Seems like there would be many advantages to an at home/in the car power solution that would cut down on battery cycles and battery changes. Then the GH becomes a hub for all sorts of rigs.

Yet another GH slogan: "Today our pockets; tomorrow the world!!"

JoeMama

Yeah with that dummy battery you could easily make a power adapter with the same parts I used to make one for the Milaana.

I don't know what the max current output of USB is, nor do I understand how 45 Watts is generated from a 4 Volt battery (12 Amps!?!), but if it's possible to drive the hopper with a USB source, then imagine a Dummy Battery that has a mini-USB socket at the top (in place of where the clicker is on a real backend).

Who knows, a little mechanical engineering with conductive metals and teflon cylinders and some 3D printing magic, and you can have a screw-in mini-USB battery adapter. Just plug it in with a USB cord to a good-duty USB charger-pack.

Disclaimer: This idea could be totally FOS.

Is it possible that the "ticking" sound the heater makes has something to do with "storing" the charge to "pulse" the heater to temp? Or, can someone explain how a 3.7V battery delivers 45 watts of heat?

JoeMama,
Reactions: moondog

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
header.jpg

Grasshopper Pre-order
August Update

Hello Hoppers,

August was a busy month for us. We focused on smoothing our supply chain, increasing supporting manufacturer throughput and training the in-house assembly crew. These changes are a part of our continual effort to increase production volume and keep delays to a minimum.

Early in the month, we met with our manufacturers to overcome issues with part shortages and implemented a new throughput management system to better meet the Grasshopper’s demand. With a record number of trained assembly technicians, we look forward to turning the flow of components into Grasshoppers. Below is the new building where Hoppers will be machined.

grasshoppre_update2.42235b31b9c2.jpg

While August did not see a large increase in Grasshoppers shipped, we did get address confirmation emails sent to every pre-order placed in 2015! These units will be shipping shortly! Although shipping times and order volume are both greater than we anticipated, we are making rapid progress. With 2015 orders almost complete we will get 2016 estimates updated soon. We assure each of you that your pre-orders are very important to us and we are striving to get them filled as soon as possible.

To ensure we are staying connected and to give you another avenue to reach us, we’ve aimed to increase our social media presence this month. We are using our Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter accounts to post mid-month updates and send out friendly reminders. In case you missed it, we used our social media accounts for a Grasshopper T-shirt Giveaway this August! Thanks to everyone who participated and congrats to the winners! Follow the Grasshopper on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, keep an eye out for more giveaways and look forward to more mid-month updates posted on these platforms.

grasshopper_update.6491321532c8.jpg

One of our long-term goals at Hoppers Labs is to always listen to the community and provide products that improve our customer's’ overall experience. We closely follow the forums and social media outlets to read about your Grasshopper experiences, ideas, or concerns. We bring those same discussions into our brainstorming sessions and because of your feedback, extra-front ends are now available for individual sale! Additionally, new Silicone Mouthpieces are in the works and the new Grasshopper Tee is available on the site! We enjoy seeing your photos of where you take your Grasshoppers and hearing your stories.

Thanks for the continued support.

The Hopper Labs Team

Top Bottom