Discontinued The Grasshopper

Ojan_at_PAX

Social Media Manager @ PAX
Company Rep
To add a little to the discussion...

The only vape I've owned that hasn't needed warranty attention is my pax2. And that's another company with a solid reputation and warranty (and props to @Ojan_at_PAX for his presence here and always ready to help approach. And he just seems like a really nice guy).

Our engineers live for comments like this! Most are at Burning Man right now but it'll be a nice message to return home to. We don't cut corners when it comes to materials and build quality, and are proud it shows. It's my pleasure to be able to help you all as well :)

Icon13

Serial Vapist
Congratulations and welcome to fc!

I use the Nightcore d2 charger (recommended here and I love it). The gh batteries are custom; you have to get then from ghl. Personally, I suggest you have at least 3. Happy hopping!!!

I used to work for a Battery manufacturer. I don't believe these are actually custom sized cells. It would be at least $50k just for the tooling fee alone. There are many rare sizes that we never see which are produced in smaller quantities and mostly used in medical and Industrial devices. I can only assume they use one of those, but until I get my hands on my unit I will just not know. However, as a small company, grasshopper labs requires the payment down on your device when you pre-order and I doubt that same company would be shelling out tens of thousands of dollars for a custom sized battery. I am obviously making an assumption, but the only custom thing about those batteries are probably the PVC wrap on the outside.

And yes, some companies have custom batteries, but those are actually custom battery packs. They are comprised of many cells put together in series and/or parallel. I am referring just to single cells.

Last edited:

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
After killing 2 hoppers in a month and now half my batteries are getting weak/dead, I decided to do something different.

I bought a lathe, taught myself how to cut internal and external hopper threads, made a battery pack, a 10A quick connect and I put it all together this morning.

Behold...A grasshopper running on 4) 18650's :science: (The hopper is still 100% stock and unmodified)

2115jd5.jpg

SleeperCell6619

I used to work for a Battery manufacturer. I don't believe these are actually custom sized cells. It would be at least $50k just for the tooling fee alone. There are many rare sizes that we never see which are produced in smaller quantities and mostly used in medical and Industrial devices. I can only assume they use one of those, but until I get my hands on my unit I will just not know. However, as a small company, grasshopper labs requires the payment down on your device when you pre-order and I doubt that same company would be shelling out tens of thousands of dollars for a custom sized battery. I am obviously making an assumption, but the only custom thing about those batteries are probably the PVC wrap on the outside.

And yes, some companies have custom batteries, but those are actually custom battery packs. They are comprised of many cells put together in series and/or parallel. I am referring just to single cells.[/

Thanks! Thanks! Just bought it on Ebay!

Last edited by a moderator:
SleeperCell6619,

kingfisher

After killing 2 hoppers in a month and now half my batteries are getting weak/dead, I decided to do something different.

I bought a lathe, taught myself how to cut internal and external hopper threads, made a battery pack, a 10A quick connect and I put it all together this morning.

Behold...A grasshopper running on 4) 18650's :science: (The hopper is still 100% stock and unmodified)

2115jd5.jpg

Awesome!!! Though I think you may want to up your current rating as to not melt it.

The hopper batteries run around 3.7v and HL advertises a 45w heater for the ss. That equates to 12 amps.

kingfisher

Joel W. How did you get the wire to hang out of the hopper?

Does the hopper back end thread into your battery pack? Instead of the body.

kingfisher,

Joel W.

Accessory Maker
Awesome!!! Though I think you may want to up your current rating as to not melt it.

The hopper batteries run around 3.7v and HL advertises a 45w heater for the ss. That equates to 12 amps.
It was the best/biggest connector I could find for this mock up.

I was not certain it would even work the way the hopper is built but it seems to stay cool so far, no pulsing blue lights. no smoke or smell, no back end heat yet.. So far, so good. :tup:
Joel W. How did you get the wire to hang out of the hopper? Does the hopper back end thread into your battery pack? Instead of the body.
The piece in the middle is aluminum with external threads to screw into the hopper body and internal threads for the back end. There is basically a dummy battery inside to mate with the stock contacts that are connected to my pack.

Last edited:

Icon13

Serial Vapist

2115jd5.jpg

More, detailed pictures please. Very interesting. I have thousands of hours building battery packs experience. I like. I am going to have to make one too.

Joel W.

Accessory Maker
More, detailed pictures please. Very interesting. I have thousands of hours building battery packs experience. I like. I am going to have to make one too.

Not much to the battery pack, just 4 18650's in parallel for 4.2v. I did not even put a switch in. I did vent the box just in case. There is a spring inside the positive contact that bottoms out when fully threaded into the body. The negative contact just sits about where the battery would be so the spring in the back end fully compresses.
2ldcf1x.jpg

Last edited:

slick

For those that have a ti and an ss, how much (if any) monetary value would you place in between the two? I know the cost difference irl, but I'm asking how much would you pay for upgrading to a ti if you didn't know the retail price of the two.

I have an ss coming (eventuality) and was wondering if I should get a ti instead. I don't think I could justify having more than one. If I needed to rma it I would just fall back on my ff.

Hawk

There is no way in hell these batteries can handle 10A or above. They

There is no way in hell these batteries can handle 10A or more. In fact I highly doubt they are able to handle even 7A. The fact its a 45W heater has always perplexed me. Just to get a 10A rating you have to go to at least an 18650 size. Something just ain't right or they are doing some circuit magic.

Hawk,

Mulehead

For those that have a ti and an ss, how much (if any) monetary value would you place in between the two? I know the cost difference irl, but I'm asking how much would you pay for upgrading to a ti if you didn't know the retail price of the two.

I have an ss coming (eventuality) and was wondering if I should get a ti instead. I don't think I could justify having more than one. If I needed to rma it I would just fall back on my ff.

I like my SS better.
The threads are so much smoother having the same material threading together.
Although my Ti heats up a tad quicker.

I'm in the opinion that a back up is necessary, but if I could only get one, it would be the SS.

Surf Monkey

I like my SS better.
The threads are so much smoother having the same material threading together.
Although my Ti heats up a tad quicker.

I'm in the opinion that a back up is necessary, but if I could only get one, it would be the SS.

Good to know. I went with SS. Looks like they're into November '15 orders now. I'm 12/08/15, so I'm hopeful that it may actually get here this month.

dfwguy99

I have been looking forward to making this post. I have been able to spend a few days with a hopper and my initial impressions are positive. My current vaporizer rotation is a Pax2 when I am sitting and relaxing and a MFLB for the discreet quick hits. I also have some Kandy Pens for concentrate. I was looking for something as discreet as the wax pen with the quick convenience of the MFLB. I have to say I think the GH comes really close. I really like the look and feel of the GH and it hides in a pen slot of my bag perfectly. I think the flavor holds up much better compared to the MFLB and a bit better than my pax 2. It's only been a couple days but it seems like my Pax2 avb is more brown than the GH. I don't use any of my vapes through glass just because it is not convenient. I do notice the vapor of the GH is much hotter than the MFLB and PAX2. I have used the GH as low as 2 and it felt uncomfortable without the silicone tip. I have been using the included charger and don't have immediate plans to buy a stand along charger so I hope it holds up, it is so convenient with the included charger. This one is a SS btw.

MonkeyTime

@Joel W. How's about we work on a front cooling extension now!

I know it would dilute the vapor, but maybe a short extension with or without some extra holes to add fresh air?

Better yet, just some aluminum baffles to redirect and cool the air.....

This could get fun! I'm in a whole new place with my gh, will post later from puter........

Last edited:

Joel W.

Accessory Maker

I am trying to come up with an extension idea now. Deep internal threads seem possible...My lathe is pretty weak for stainless steel though and I was worried some of you might have an issue with aluminum?

Mods: I think I may have a grass hopper modification thread started somewhere if you feel you should move my crap to that thread. Sorry for the derail here... :)

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Welp my SS is on its way back to the lab again. They had replaced only the body, so the front and back ends didn't fit quite flush. Back end could get hot, seemed to get worse with more use maybe, and it actually began to strip away small slivers from the tip of the body due to fit I guess, leaving a slight sharp edge on the body that could probably cut a finger or hurt at least.

So the whole thing is going back again, another shipping charge so they can test to be sure, but I don't see anyway they won't need to replace the entire thing. Maybe that's what they should always be doing, I guess it's cheaper not to and works for many people, but they didn't do it for me and it only led to new issues and more warranty service (though it did still work).

Just keeping y'all posted, my Blue Ti is actually still working fine but hasn't seen much use lately (just one big bowl I think since the ss returned I think actually). Will let you know how everything turn out when I know...

Oh yeah and back to back one hitter bowls at 380F through water were nuts, definitely still stand by my Cloud Evo meets Pax2 anology, just in case anyone forgot ;)

But yeah I too am not in love with it overall, especially compared to the performance of my other pure convection vapes, if anyone wants to experience my own top tier I'd recommend checking out the Milaana and StickyBricks... Ofcourse there are many others that imo outperform the hopper too, as a portable dry vape in particular. Though yeah GH is still cool as shit, and after all this time, but who knew I would prefer simple manual analog style vapes to high tech temp controlled digital ones? Didn't see that coming back when I started :2c::peace:

Oh and quick question, anyone who had a whole new Hopper under warranty, or maybe even just a back end, did you get a new serial number and re register it the next time something came up? Could you?

Update for those interested:

SS Hopper is on its way back to me now. They replaced both the front end and the back end, same body but they filed down the threads to get rid of the sharp edge and get it back to normal (body had worked fine). We'll see how it goes yet again...

Oh and for any curious, when they replace your back end you do get a new serial number, but they automatically register it to your account so they can keep track of warranty service for each Hopper. Also assures warranty is not transferable which kinda sucks but se la vi

kingfisher

It was the best/biggest connector I could find for this mock up.

I was not certain it would even work the way the hopper is built but it seems to stay cool so far, no pulsing blue lights. no smoke or smell, no back end heat yet.. So far, so good. :tup:
The piece in the middle is aluminum with external threads to screw into the hopper body and internal threads for the back end. There is basically a dummy battery inside to mate with the stock contacts that are connected to my pack.

I figured that was how you did it. Thanks. Think I may have to make one now lol.

BTW what were the threads?

Surf Monkey

I know it would dilute the vapor, but maybe a short extension with or without some extra holes to add fresh air?

Better yet, just some aluminum baffles to redirect and cool the air.....

This could get fun! I'm in a whole new place with my gh, will post later from puter........

Just needs a front cap with heat exchanging fins.

Pjake

It's all in the reflexes.
Good to know. I went with SS. Looks like they're into November '15 orders now. I'm 12/08/15, so I'm hopeful that it may actually get here this month.
I ordered mine in September 2015. It just arrived yesterday. Initial impressions are positive. Heat up time is awesome. Clouds are good. Not quite as good as my crafty though. Vapor is rather warm due to the short path. Chamber is larger than I expected. I guess I'm kinda spoiled from issuing my home unit (e-nano). Can any hopper owners tell me what the ideal grind consistency is?

Mr. Me2

I ordered mine in September 2015. It just arrived yesterday. Initial impressions are positive. Heat up time is awesome. Clouds are good. Not quite as good as my crafty though. Vapor is rather warm due to the short path. Chamber is larger than I expected. I guess I'm kinda spoiled from issuing my home unit (e-nano). Can any hopper owners tell me what the ideal grind consistency is?
Regarding grind, I think recommendations are pretty varied. My guess is a fine grind is the only thing to maybe avoid so it doesn't clog up the screens. I use a medium grind but some prefer just dropping in a small nug. Have fun experimenting!

And to @dfwguy99 - regarding a too warm mouthpiece, have you tried adjusting your lip placement (don't put your lips near the tip). With that adjustment, I never use the cover. And I am usually at 3. I also wait for a complete cool down before another pull. And I agree that the pax2 abv is darker than the gh. Lastly, I don't know how many batteries you have, but I really recommend an external charger. A minor investment that makes life super simple and avoids any possible issues using the gh charger.

Top Bottom