Discontinued The Grasshopper

kingfisher

OK so the light blinking blue is battery almost dead. Does anyone else's back end get hot(ter) when the blue lights blink?

kingfisher,

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
@slcbdco I definitely remember the birdhead reference, you showed me the song and explained it when we were at that cool hidden brewery that allowed us to rip the Grasshoppers inside
Sounds like a dream :love:

@kingfisher
Look closer at the picture you just posted, specifically at number 4 Charge. It tells you right there that the lights are supposed to flicker blue while discharging (drawing on it) and increase with intensity before finally turning to red when depleted.

What you are claiming is a defect is actually a feature.

Just because yours isn't working as intended doesn't mean that all the other hoppers are defective just because they do work as intended.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I'm wondering if I should just order one of these now, or if I should wait until they are readily available.

Edit: also, just quickly perusing saw someone say they combusted. That's not normal right?

newVaper420,

BadDog No

I ordered mine in March because I was worried that they were going to pull the lifetime warranty. They just kicked the price up $25 instead, but I can't imagine they'll offer that lifetime warranty forever. Just a thought for you fence sitters...

BadDog No,

Moe_

I ordered mine in March because I was worried that they were going to pull the lifetime warranty. They just kicked the price up $25 instead, but I can't imagine they'll offer that lifetime warranty forever. Just a thought for you fence sitters...
They've never said they plan to take the lifetime warranty away. They have said they plan to raise the price.

Moe_,

BadDog No

So you think offering a lifetime warranty will last forever? I know they never said anything about rescinding it, but does it really seem like sound business practice to you? Firefly has dropped from 5 years to a 2 year warranty with the FF2. Just sayin...

MoltenTiger

what did you do to fix disco light of doom?
I remember reading somewhere, sometime, that if you select temp 1 with a malfunctioning device it 'resets' it so it won't auto trigger the kill switch/disco lights of doom.
It's very finicky, but with the right technique it works well.

I used it before I went to bed last night, it was definitely beyond vaporisation but I'd honestly say one of the nicest rounds of hits I've had with cannabis. I don't mind an occasional smoke now I'm not addicted to tobacco, but it was like a potent mixture of vapour and smoke, super smooth and super strong. Way better than traditional combustion.

Nice video @BuzzDanklin, good display of standard operation. Can't wait to have access to that agin!

MoltenTiger,

TokesandJokes

Im sorry I haven't posted lately. I wanted to stop by and let everyone know my Grasshopper is still running great after daily use (regular and through a bong) for the last couple months. This thing is amazing and has gotten me through some tough times. Three days after I got it my mom passed away and I had to drive down to Florida. A few weeks after that I took a line drive to the face while pitching and knocked out a tooth straight out of my lip. Good news is I can confirm it works through your nose! Its been a tough couple months, but having this GH really has been (and I'm loathe to use this term) a game changer. Im not sure where the line is at for preorders as I'm getting ready to read back about 40 pages, but if your wondering if it delivers it does.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
MoltenTiger - hmmm I don't like this talk of combustion. That worries me.

-----

Is the price going higher than what it currently is? Is there a big difference between the titanium and steel in usage?

newVaper420,

Vaperist

I remember reading somewhere, sometime, that if you select temp 1 with a malfunctioning device it 'resets' it so it won't auto trigger the kill switch/disco lights of doom.

i wonder why HL doesn't include information how to restart a Hopper in that user manual. that would be easier for them to do so, not to handle a warranty claims.

also they don't say that hot backend issue can be resolved by a simple anti clockwise turn of that clicker, when at on position.

Vaperist,

MoltenTiger

@TokesandJokes I hope your luck takes a turn for the better, and that nasal GH hits continue to remind you that it takes bad things to enable good at all.

@newVaper420 yeah, combustion is fucked. It's not normal for the GH, and has been extremely infrequent. It has only been happening due to a dodgy heat sensor (which is covered by warranty).
I've given this device a hard run, haven't held back at all, and so I'm not too surprised or worried about its fate. I don't know the technical reason for the fault, but I would guess it was my fault if it wasn't simply a bad component.
It's been dropped plenty, and a couple of times I've cleaned it, I've got IPA onto the heater, and burned it off before use, creating some sketchy sounds.

I think it's been working suboptimally (in terms of its consistency of extraction/eveness of ABV/rate of battery depletion) since its third combustion (happened three times, the first and second time it barely scorched some shitty bush weed and the third time it properly malfunctioned and overheated without shutoff), but even during its broken life it has been a fantastic vape.

FWIW I think they should have tripled the price from the get go. They really did themselves a disservice by offering it for what they considered to be more reasonably priced.
However I also feel like their price structuring got them through the years and respect them for holding their own despite the obvious annoyances.
I don't know if it'll go up again but if it does, I think it'd be by a small amount (less than 10%) after pre-orders are out the door.

@Vaperist they wouldn't disclose that information because of liability I suppose. It's just how its software works (I guess), it could also simply be that level one doesn't draw enough power to trigger the indicator and stop the system.
But ultimately, it's not in working order now and so the only reputable advice from HL is to send it back.

MoltenTiger,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I started reading more about this pen. .3g chamber? Full convection? No stirring? This sounds way better than the FireFly 2. I just ordered a Mighty which will be here Monday. But I just may have to pull the trigger on this vape which is an exceptional price. The wait is the only killer thing. I saw Buzz taking hits out of hydratubes using the Hopper. That's ridiculous!!!

kingfisher

So you think offering a lifetime warranty will last forever? I know they never said anything about rescinding it, but does it really seem like sound business practice to you? Firefly has dropped from 5 years to a 2 year warranty with the FF2. Just sayin...

Depends... if you produce a robust quality product a lifetime warranty can be a sound bussiness practice. There still are many products with lifetime warranties.

If anything I think it reflects on the anticipated build quality of the ff2. Trying to maximize profit of products they may have decided to use less robust components or decided to limit warranty to give ppl a reason to buy a ff3...

Vaperist

I started reading more about this pen. .3g chamber? Full convection? No stirring? This sounds way better than the FireFly 2. I just ordered a Mighty which will be here Monday. But I just may have to pull the trigger on this vape which is an exceptional price. The wait is the only killer thing. I saw Buzz taking hits out of hydratubes using the Hopper. That's ridiculous!!!

yeah. Hopper is making unbelievable clouds considering its size. can't wait to compare it with Sublimator. if it is even near to that level of vapor density, i would sell that Sublimator bitch asap. i almost got my house burned down because of that damn thing. and it take a good 10 minutes to get that monster up to temperature.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
There was a several-months hold on pre-orders. Was that in 2015? If so there is a gap that could account for all 2015 pre-orders being expected to ship by June.

I didn't come on board until Jan of this year and this is the first I recall hearing about this gap. If that is the case then it would explain a lot in terms of GHL's expectation of getting all pre-orders out by summer. I choose to be encouraged by this. Can anyone tell us how many months long the gap was and when it happened?

moondog,

MoltenTiger

yeah. Hopper is making unbelievable clouds considering its size. can't wait to compare it with Sublimator. if it is even near to that level of vapor density, i would sell that Sublimator bitch asap. i almost got my house burned down because of that damn thing. and it take a good 10 minutes to get that monster up to temperature.
You'll probably find it similar to me with my EQ, it's different enough to warrant both devices.
Though I would more often choose a GH bong hit over an EQ bong hit, they are subtly different and the latter is certainly worth having around too.

@newVaper420 it is so, so worth the wait :horse::lol:
I would advise allowing 12 months from purchase date until delivery - just in case.
I'm very interested to see when the next lot of address confirmations are pushed and what date range they cover. I think that will give us all a much better idea of how much longer it will be.

I'm as keen as ever still. I can definitely incinerate buds atm but it's just not the same :cry:

_____
Pre-orders have been running since Jan 2015, with early bird orders placed Dec 2014 as an invite/email-in deal for late comers to the campaign (which ran Nov-Dec 2013)
I'm a July 2015 pre-orderer #190XX (initial pre-orders were order no. #159XX around 4000 orders of difference, AV~20 orders/day) I placed an order for batteries March 18, order #257XX, making around 10,000 orders since Jan 2015, 6500 orders since my last, AV~27 orders/day over the span.

Keep in mind these are counts of every order placed on their system, so this number does not reflect the amount of GH units ordered. HL state they have "~5200 delayed orders" on April 14th and have an assembly capacity of 550 units per week.
So if device sales are sitting at a 20+/day and they are 10 weeks behind production..
This brings their shipping potential closer to 400/week, and with a 70% production rate 280/week.
So estimating if you order today, making 5500 units on back order, that could put them 20 weeks / 4.5 months behind production.
HL have stated they can easily reach this breaking point at 16 weeks (what current shipping estimates are based off, i.e. August). Unless rumours are true that chargers are bottlenecking production (which I think is extremely likely having being sent a faulty one March 18 before they were aware of this potential) - it's possible there could be a very large shipment this coming week which will finally give more data to estimate with. But they have stated they are ahead with unit production, so it's sounding promising.

TL;DR basically if you order today, even with normal production woes, you should receive it before the end of the year, by which time you should be able to buy one from ready to go stock.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Well they're here finally! Photo with my early beta Milaana (and Zion stem):
SnnY4x4.jpg

Haven't even tried the Blue Ti yet, both are super gorgeous, had a tiny taster pinch in SS then a 3/4 temp stepper bowl and now nearly done with another... The pros and cons are very evident right away, game changer is truth once these become more widely available, I have much more testing to do... Hopefully will get some Tre Seis(? did I get that spelling wrong @slcbdco lol) with which to do so properly soon

Top Bottom