Discontinued The Grasshopper

Mr Mellish

This pick-n-place may not seem like a big deal to you, but it's important to remember these robots are not only working faster, they're working under tighter tollerances than a human is capable of. Each chip is perfectly installed on the board, in the correct position every time.

A human is much more prone to faults when performing this sort of manual labor with a miniature chip like the one in the hopper (remember each round chip is around 12mm in diameter).

Clearly this part of the build was extremely time consuming. Hence the investment in the machinery necessary to decrease production times and increase quality.

What I find interesting is that Hopper Labs has chosen to assemble these chips in-house. I'm sure these could have been mass produced in china at a lower per-unit cost. There must be some reason why they're doing it themselves - I'm guessing it's either for quality control reasons, or because that's a critical component of their device and they're protecting their intellectual property.

There is no way they were building those boards manually. My point is that they were paying someone else to stuff the boards before and whoever that was, was also using a pick n place. To me that means little if any improvement in board reliability, unless that supplier was just shit.

Mr Mellish,
Reactions: bloom

studmuffin

Hello, all those in pre-order purgatory,

I have followed the evolution of Hopper Labs for quite awhile, and in my opinion the trajectory of their company is just right. Remember this: GHL is making a state-of-the-art highly sophisticated machine, which has a LIFETIME WARRANTY. How many products do you own right now, or are even aware of, that have a lifetime warranty ? Huh ?!?! It would be absolute business suicide to cut corners, put out a marginal product as a cave-in to "VAS on fucking steroids", and them be driven into bankruptcy trying to keep up with the incessant merry-go-round of LIFETIME WARRANTY issues repairing/replacing potentially hundreds, if not thousands, of faulty Grasshoppers. Get a friggin' fuckin' grip on yer fucking VAS, fer crissakes ! ! !

W O R D.

MoltenTiger

The pick & place is an awesome machine to bring in house, the main benefit of having a P&P in house is for rapid prototyping. Where I work we use manual labour with a set of tweezers, a microscope and a cheap toaster oven. It's painstakingly slow, especially when you're dealing with 200 components, I'd imagine the hopper has closer to 50, but that still requires a long time per board.

When finalising chip designs, it is a super expensive and involved process. To get a prototype board to test, you first buy a lot of printed circuit boards and then manually solder on all the electrical components. Only once the design is robust/final is it cost effective to pay a company to set up a production line to P&P the PCBs. The minimum order is usually 2000, and then there is a slow down with transport.

I guess this simplifies the whole process, but should give the company good longevity as it's a large ongoing expense contained for the most part for a massive outlay.

I believe my VapeFiend hopper was one of the first built with the P&P and CNC laser welder, so far it is proving to be a testament to the reliability of those technologies.

EDIT: I was also going to touch on @Ratchett 's last statements, it would be for quality control, and convenience (having immediate access to products) primarily. There is not much you can do to protect chip board design, as this can easily be replicated from sight, however software is almost impossible to reverse engineer, and so how the PCB actually talks to itself is of real value. Outsourcing a company to produce a complete board requires them having access to that firmware (for calibrating/testing).
Although this is usually done under confidentiality agreements, leaks can happen and so that is another advantage to having it in-house, especially with how good their software/hardware works. That's a trade secret worth a bit.

Last edited:

voodoo_vape

Vapour RebeL
There is definitely progress and transparency!! This no one can deny it!! Since we're talking about sth so well designed and game-changing vape, it worth the wait.. For those with the extra bucks, go ahead and buy it of VP..
At least HL will be more cautious with theirs last pre-orders, I hope so as well. If they have managed to be ahead of their current estimations, we should be expecting confirmation emails soon-ish..(mine has been re-scheduled for June/July. I'll just take it as July and it'll be a pleasant surprise if they send it earlier than that :), I'm a January'16 pre-order). The "funny" thing is that I've ordered some extra accessories after my initial GH orders, which they're estimated to be sent in July and my actual GHs in June.. :rofl::rofl::freak:

kingfisher

While I am entertained by them showing a picture, and telling the story. I don't really care. I mean it certainly is interesting, and I like seeing how hoppers are made.

It's just all I need from an update is:
'Last month we had 5200 hoppers to build. This month we made X number and now we are on track to build Y number.'

If they wanted to go crazy in addition to the above they could even say:
'We have completed Jan '15 pre orders, and are starting Feb. '

Kasish

Just wondering how many of u feel the hopper high is closer to combustion than vaping? Ive heard ppl say its cuz of the heat but thats not the reason my vapor is never hot, any explanations?

kingfisher

Just wondering how many of u feel the hopper high is closer to combustion than vaping? Ive heard ppl say its cuz of the heat but thats not the reason my vapor is never hot, any explanations?

I think your getting the high and act of getting high confused. My take on it is that people have said it is more like burning bc the hot air is more irritating to the throat. More like smoking.

I haven't been able to quite figure it out. Though using the hopper reminded me of dabbing a bit. I don't have frequent access so I know there are large differences, but the high has been more intense than other vapes I've used. More like smoking.

I attribute the intensity to the dense clouds the GH has. More intake over less time. Which is similar to smoking.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I haven't tried Hopper yet, but the question is puzzling to me. If the Hopper is not combusting material, then you are vaping and the high is a vaping high. Maybe it is somehow qualitatively different from another vaping high but I see no point in saying it's 'more' like a smoking high than it is like a vaping high.
apologies if my bias is showing.
fuck combustion.

Vape'n'Chlo

So I've had my Titanium Grasshopper for a while now. I purchased it from the first batch of Grasshoppers that arrived at Vapefiend back in February. I was so excited and had been waiting to get access to it ever since I had decided to hold off from my backing the indiegogo campaign for certain kinks to be worked out etc. as is the case with these situations and products. I must have been the first person to buy one as I was refreshing that page frantically.

It has been a Lovely experience. I truly love this vape. Really big game changer in my opinion. The heat up time is superb. I've generally been using it with Water pieces mostly and have hovered mostly around 4ish for most of my needs unless I go dry in which I hover between 2/4 depending.

Generally I've hovered around this forum for a while never posting, but I'm going to change that now.
Unfortunately I am going to be one of the people to report my Grasshopper giving out after 2 months of heavy usage. Just sent it back to get looked over. I had the "red and blue flashing lights of death" as I have seen some refer. It was disappointing as I was literally about to go out for my friends birthday. But hey these things happen, no big. I've sucked it up and gotten my Arizer Solo back in action.

I've been one of the posters for a while reading this thread with a perfectly fine vape but not saying anything about it working in order out of fear I may jinx myself and end up having issues. Turns out I have a bad omen with things breaking on me these last few months so inevitably the Hopper gave way in the midst of this odd period where a lot of my needed possessions just seemed to break. Nonetheless I'll have a newer unit back to me soon and I'm hoping that any of the issues will be resolved as the new units seem to be somewhat more reliable as it at least seems in this forum.

Also sorry for the long post, I'm notorious for writing too much.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Thanks for providing your personal experience. I'm on the fence too. Hopefully some good reports will continue to come in with these new units regarding reliability.
My Ti GH I got from Vapefiend in March has been working really well since I got it. It doesn't have any problems and I hope it remains that way, I just love it. It has revolutionized how I consume herb and it's so efficient and powerful. I sound like a salesperson lol, but it really is amazing. I used my Mighty today and still felt the need to go back to my GH. That's the reason I brought both of them out with me today. I brought the GH just in case I wanted to use it, and I did.:peace:

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
@Vapetrees

Ditto! Love mine from VF, the only issue I've had is with the batteries. 2 of the 5 I have don't hold much of a charge, never did. The vape itself is running great
Yeah I have one that doesn't work so well. I hope they sort the battery issue out, if they can even improve on them?, but I have five and only have an issue with one. It may be one from a backer SS I have. So it may be old now and losing its power.

kingfisher

I haven't tried Hopper yet, but the question is puzzling to me. If the Hopper is not combusting material, then you are vaping and the high is a vaping high. Maybe it is somehow qualitatively different from another vaping high but I see no point in saying it's 'more' like a smoking high than it is like a vaping high.
apologies if my bias is showing.
fuck combustion.

Just wanted to clarify this.

It is still definitely a vape high. Though the line is blurred for me now. I mean I used to want to smoke on occasion bc it was different, and now I get less of a difference. Idk if that made any sense. gh is effective atm.

I guess to explain further. My vape experience has always been using the standard whip style, similar even with portables, where the session lasts 20-30 min. You would get pretty stoned but it was weird like a time warp where when you were done it only lasted like 30-45 min. It seems as if the gh with normal bowl completion in 6 or so hits is Much more similar to smoking a bowl. In terms of cannibinoid absorption rate. Like the slow rate of the vape limits out on how high i can get. Thus taking longer to come down.

Having never experienced a high quite like it besides dabs, hash, or other concentrates. I feel it is closer to that level of high if I smoke a whole bowl. The level where I can't tell if I was as high 3 hits ago but it tastes so good I want another.

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

It is still definitely a vape high. Though the line is blurred for me now. I mean I used to want to smoke on occasion bc it was different, and now I get less of a difference. Idk if that made any sense. gh is effective atm.

I guess to explain further. My vape experience has always been using the standard whip style, similar even with portables, where the session lasts 20-30 min. You would get pretty stoned but it was weird like a time warp where when you were done it only lasted like 30-45 min. It seems as if the gh with normal bowl completion in 6 or so hits is Much more similar to smoking a bowl. In terms of cannibinoid absorption rate. Like the slow rate of the vape limits out on how high i can get. Thus taking longer to come down.

Having never experienced a high quite like it besides dabs, hash, or other concentrates. I feel it is closer to that level of high if I smoke a whole bowl. The level where I can't tell if I was as high 3 hits ago but it tastes so good I want another.

birdhead

kingfisher

b47d346bb721249258382daa3809f164756693f3d76790aa240098f726ba50dd.jpg

MoltenTiger

The GH offers a perfect replacement for bong smoking, joint smoking, pipe smoking, in that it is able to replicate those methods of consumption amazingly well. Super dense, visible clouds get produced that you can feel, and struggle to contain.
Psychosomatically speaking, it is possible a lot of these aspects influence the effect.
Proper emulation is something I highly regard in substitution.

When I smoked, I mixed with tobacco, and so that fundamentally changes the chemical mixture of the entire experience. However even without this additive in the GH, I still have rapid onset, satisfying hits. I used to find 'green cones' or smoking unmixed unpleasant and lacklustre. But the GH is so tasty and is powerful, it is my favourite way to consume yet.
I guess the effect from smoking a mixed cone is it's own thing that can't quite be replicated exactly, but in terms of not wanting to do this because of the resultant addiction and health implications, I find the GH the next best thing - possibly even better.

In terms of the high, I find I am more awake after vaping and less prone to sleep than with smoking (less "stoned").
However, while the EQ can get trippy (super head high), the GH buzz is much more chill/traditional in feeling (more normal head high and some body stone too, more comparable to smoking).
It's very strong and lasts quite a while (1-3 hours) from a single hit. You can really produce a lot of high quality vapour quickly with the GH, without stretching the temps too far.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Two thoughts about smoking 'on occasion' (nothing personal). I don't even like the thought of inhaling smoke anymore. Call me elitist, but in 3 years I've had 3 joints and regretted it each time based mostly on taste like a firepit, but also on quality of buzz. Apologies; I'm not as comfortable talking about 'levels of high' as I am overall impression and feel. I can describe a vape buzz as far lighter, but no less intense than a combustion buzz. Different. There are so many variables besides 'my perception' in the equation that the little scientist voice in my head kinda stamps his feet and shuts down!

I can relate to strong hits as a description of the Hopper experience. Yeah, if the goods are delivered via express service, happiness will usually follow; sooner and happier. Or sooner and more relaxed. Or sooner and more excited. Or...just more. Longer lasting? Again, that's very subjective and so full of variables...

The feel of a vape buzz is simply different; there are much different chemistry's taking place. We hear over and over in these threads about vaping's 'aquired' taste. The taste of many things are 'aquired', including tobacco and alcohol (who ever has the premium experience as a first-time smoker, cannabis or tobacco?). I am thrilled to have un-aquired the taste and behaviors of combusting both cannabis and tobacco. I do feel fully assimilated into the vaping practice and love the feelings it brings. What more do I need to know? (please don't answer that, I'm enjoying myself too much).

Effect and our behaviors aside, I must say I really, really, really look forward to Hopping - and beyond, cause this is one great part about all this vaping thing; It's such a new and exciting dynamic as the knowledge and tech evolve and methods are refined (and VAS!). For me, appreciation of the vape high has increased as my tools have evolved, and so I won't deny people their excitement and over the Hopper. Still, I don't hold the effect up to that of combusting, just as I wouldn't really compare smoking to alcohol consumption. People used to call drinking 'getting high'?!?!?

Let's also acknowledge that if this were a discussion between medical patients about effect, it would be taking a completely different tone and course.

I guess I'm trying to say that I don't see the point of spending much time (though I just did!) on the comparison because fuck combustion.

idk wtf this means,
but I'm inclined to say, "peep!"

Vape'n'Chlo

I think the only comparison that can be made to combustion, in my opinion, is simply the onset of the high being as quick as combustion. From my experience with the hopper I still get that Vape high that doesn't come with combustion, just in a more intense manner.
As people say, it's more comparable to doing a dab in the sense that you just get really fast extraction of all the cannabinoids and terpenes etc. Other than that I see a large difference in the experiences.

This conclusion is made after my downfall of having to smoke on the night my grasshopper died (first time in a hell of a long while). I used a bong, which is how I would normally use my vapes... just obviously a lot cleaner and tastier when vaping. From my experience, the smoking high was very different, aside from the fact that I had to consume a lot more to get to where I wanted, it just didn't seem to have the same qualities I was looking for. Maybe it's just me, but I still noticed a profound different in the experiences of either using the grasshopper or smoking. That would be all I have to say on the subject.

Now I'm simply waiting to get my beloved GH back in my possession. Of which I'm very hopeful that I'll get a longer lasting unit.

priestsmiler

I feel i must clarify what was meant by my earlier post: Isolating specific compounds (cannabinoids in most cases) that evaporate (or vaporise) at differing temperatures by temperature stepping (slowly increasing temperatures) produces a longer lasting duration for me. This imo is due to by the time the compounds inhaled at the lower temperatures are taking effect in my brain and body I am still in the process of turning up the heat on the vape and starting to inhale the compounds boiling off at higher temperatures.
When the higher temperature is selected from the beginning rather than increasing over time all the compounds are simultaneously inhaled, absorbed, and take effect, creating a wholesome complete synergistic effect similar to smoking, but obviously alot cleaner minus most carcinogens (temperature dependent).
All of this is subjective and is only my personal experience with all other vaporizers as I still have not tried the gh yet... :)

priestsmiler,
Reactions: Vapetrees

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
I get what I believe is the most full-spectrum, mostly convection-based extraction from my Supreme 3, very few other vaporizers come even close to it in my experience. I am anxious to see how the GH performs as videos hint that the GH's cloud production could be similarly dense and I'd love that in a stealth portable. It will at least be fun to find out.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Can someone do me a favor and measure the outside diameter of the Grasshopper just above the tapered mouthpiece section - I'm looking for precise measurements. The specs say its 14.0mm, but I'm starting to think it's slightly bigger (based on feedback from customers).

Can someone confirm the diameter for me?

Thanks!

Delta3DStudios,
Top Bottom