Discontinued The Grasshopper

Averyminya

Grasshopper Backer
Oh ok I just checked the site and assumed it was available. I guess I'll just purchase it so I don't have to wait so long to get it.

Has anyone Tried using oil? Or will it just ruin the front end? Like mixing a little in with some bud? Just wondering if I should enemy attempt that at all.

Thanks

You can use organic cotton or herb. It does a pretty good job of soaking into the flowers so there's never much residue left over. Your silicone mouthpiece will get oily though and it will get some stick on the metal, but can easily be wiped away.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I understand not everyone goes on reddit; I did a comparison of the grassHopper against the Firewood. If you would like me to include more details or go over other subjects please ask. I kind of just ranted about time management and extraction.

The grassHopper is a clear winner in time management.

It is 5x faster in overall usage and the heat up time is 3x faster. grassHopper maintenance is quicker, battery swapping is laughably quicker, every thing about the Hopper makes it seem like it was meant for speed (despite its sluggish rollout). The Hopper does happen to be slow in the extraction area.
It is a unit that can "finish" a bowl in two hits, although that "finished" point may not be
finished for you. ...Honestly it will be for most but I like a deep deep extraction, for example...
ok5OJgs.jpg

To most, the herb in that picture is well done; the furthest you'd like your abv steak. I would personally prefer to extract further but I discuss that later (actually in the Firewood thread (link below)).
While the grassHopper is quick to start and can be quick to finish, I have noticed the batteries are quick to go as well. Battery life is depressing when compared to the Firewood. This can vary depending on the user. I am sure I take more drags from the abv than I need but like mentioned I go for heavy extractions so if I can still pull something from the Hopper's low temp I will. I get 15-25 draws from a single battery. In my opinion that isn't so bad considering the unit and the amount of batteries I have (and how cheap they are anyway), but it is a lot to carry.

I edited the rest out because it primarily focuses on the Firewood but it probably also contains the most info so I suggest checking it out on the Firewood thread.

Here are my grassHopper videos, 1 (3 Hoppers, 1 Session) - 2 (Oil Demonstration Cotton vs Screenception) - 3 (Unboxing)

Last edited:

Kalessin

Hopper's low temp I will.
So, when you say that are you saying that you consider the Hopper's max temp low temp? haha I generally consider myself a high temp vaper compared to most on here since I go up to 410 or 420 if the vape allows haha but if you go even higher than that then hats off to you :rockon:My anxiety makes me too paranoid when I go over that

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Oh ok I just checked the site and assumed it was available. I guess I'll just purchase it so I don't have to wait so long to get it.

Has anyone Tried using oil? Or will it just ruin the front end? Like mixing a little in with some bud? Just wondering if I should enemy attempt that at all.

Thanks
I have my video #2 above shows oil usage and here is something I wrote to someone about using other materials.

I am personally not a fan of sandwiching bud; just because it adds other stuff in the airpath so I'm not really doing just concentrates. I prefer to do them separately even if through the same vape.

Cotton is okay; I honestly suggest using like 4 screens to make a good mesh to hold the oil. Cotton to me adds cotton flavor; also from my testing it discolors by iteself. Trying higher temps results in combustion but I would prefer cotton by itself before I start mixing my concentrates and herb.

I like rayon in alternative to cotton (Organic, Japanese, Egyptian, household); rayon has a slightly higher temperature resistance but is also a bit more flavor neutral from my perspective. Still suffers from combustion at higher temps and discoloration.

Hemp fiber is okay, but I have combusted far too many times with it and its too dirty for my liking. It works as well as cotton but has more flavor and is thicker.

ReadyXWick which is what I used in the video is good but I recommend a water path or something to prevent you from inhaling wick particulates that could maybe possibly fray off when you are trying to place it in a stem. Its nice to be able to torch it clean and its fairly flavor neutral. I suggest screens over this method but it is really nice if you want to torch your oils out of the stem or don't want to go through much maintenance.

Rainforest Glass Pebbles. They are okay, a lot of oil can leak and production isn't as impressive as the rest but reclaim is cleaner and easier.

Mentioned a couple times above I highly suggest the **screenception** method. This either one screen folded many times to hold the oil or screens within screens to hold the oil. I personally prefer this method over all of them at the moment. Cleaning is easier and not as necessary like with cotton/rayon. Production is normally better and last longer than with cotton.
Video I mention in the quote is this

So, when you say that are you saying that you consider the Hopper's max temp low temp? haha I generally consider myself a high temp vaper compared to most on here since I go up to 410 or 420 if the vape allows haha but if you go even higher than that then hats off to you :rockon:My anxiety makes me too paranoid when I go over that
I may start around 410F. But only for a couple flavor hits, I really enjoy the 430+ temps. But the occasional flavor session is nice.

Last edited:

Kalessin

Thanks, that's great to hear. Obviously a two-handed operation, eh?

moondog
Don't have a Grasshopper but I can hold my PnP water tool and the whip attachment together in one hand, I'm sure you could do the same thing with the Grasshopper if you were somewhat dextrous

Kalessin,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Don't have a Grasshopper but I can hold my PnP water tool and the whip attachment together in one hand, I'm sure you could do the same thing with the Grasshopper if you were somewhat dextrous

Easily done one handed if you don't use the silicone mouthpiece.

You're quite welcome. Glad to help.
Yes, I use both hands. Always.

Thanks everyone. Good to know one-handed is a possibility. Guess I can make the wait for March pass more quickly by working on my fine motor skills.

moondog

moondog,
Reactions: Vaperist

biohacker

this is not a good extraction, to be honest. still a lot of green in it. my Solo do much better after a high temperature session.

That's because of its conduction qualities. You can get near black ABV in the Solo without combusting if your session is long enough. Anyways, I think it's been said in another thread on the topic that ABV colour isn't necessarily a reflection of extraction. Can't remember the thread, but I do know our great mod Pakalolo knows something about this "caramelization" process. Lots of vapes like the Herbalizer extract fully with ABV that can be on the lighter shade of brown, yet throw that ABV in a high temperature extractor like the EVO, and there is nothing useful left.

Extracting out of the Solo takes an eternity compared to the GH. The airflow is also night and day.

Vaperist

Extracting out of the Solo takes an eternity compared to the GH. The airflow is also night and day.

i am greedy vaporist. love to see my herb being near black. so i have no problem to trow it out. if it is a little green, i will most likely make a cookies or cake out of it. cause weed is not legal and not so easy to obtain in my country. so making a most of it.

yes, just love that Solo session eternity. :) it reminds me of joint smoking procedure.

biohacker

There ya go, we're at the opposite ends of the spectrum. I'm not that greedy, have abundant supply of top shelf meds, and throw out the ABV. I like my ABV to be brown, but not overly dark brown. My first priority is my health, and my second priority is effects and taste. Foul taste (from that overvaped ABV) turns me right off. But so does the Solo's airflow! Everyone is different.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
this is not a good extraction, to be honest. still a lot of green in it. my Solo do much better after a high temperature session.
That is the extraction from the gray Hopper in my 3 Hopper video. I don't stir. But did you read part 2?
The reason for being uneven slightly is because the herb further away doesn't get vaped well, even on max temp.

Tired of sucking our vapor from solo/air. Great vapes but that airflow kills.
I personally think the Hopper airflow kills primarily when paired with water. Way better than the Solo/Air but still pretty awful.
Its good native though..

Last edited:
paytonpenn,
Reactions: Vaperist

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
So excited, just ordered a grasshopper SS! I guess March is the estimated delivery :(
Who here has started using this as a daily? How does it keep up with "daily duties" so to speak?

The Grasshopper has been my primary vape since July. It's great for traveling, never had a problem in airport security, being pulled over, it's super discrete, I fact I made the metal detector go off at the Broncos game and had to show it, just a pen, no further questions, although #protip take it out of your pocket and put it in the belt when you go through a metal detector and there will be no problem, it's great for hiding in plain sight.

As for usage, I was (am?) a smoker. No interest in quoting smoking cannabis or cigarettes, it just so happens that after months of getting accustomed to and the expecting that flavor I pretty much only vape both tobacco and and cannabis and then almost exclusively with my Grasshopper. My other vapes are firefly, (I never use it anymore) Pax2 (I used pretty much only for mixing cannabis and tobacco and I actually prefer it to the grasshopper for that and only that application but compared to the GH loading and cleaning the pax2 is a lot so I don't d it that often) and the mivape which I use at home but never take out.

The Grasshopper is my go to and I find when people check out my vape collection they gravitate towards the GH.

I also find myself turning down joints/splits/cigs in favor of vaping with my Grasshoppper, that was never my plan but I can say the GH has changed my consumption patterns for the best and it's super durable for someone who consumes all day everyday.

I definitely recommend extra batteries though, on in the chamber and two in the pocket definitely get me through a whole day out and about.

The other great thing about the GH compared to other methods and vapes is I have to carry around a lot less cannabis since this piece is so efficient. It's not a problem as we have an ounce possession limit here but carrying around just a few grams for the whole day is a convenience.

The manual states not to exhale into the vaporizer, which i'm assuming means doing so directly into the mouthpiece, and probably forcing exhaled vapour as well. Do you think a small slight puff into the bowl would really damage the heater, or probably just not worth it nor needed?

It you just blow across the top to clear crumbs it's fine, I do it all the time without even thinking. I would not bow directly into it This is mentioned in the manual. Cleaning is very easy though especially if you dumb the chamber out as soon as you're done and don't over pack it. With a loose pack you get great airflow and the ABV falls right out.

Top Bottom