The Grasshopper Shipping Poll

When do you think the first Grasshoppers (in BOXES!) will ship?

• Total voters

Vaperist

Im glad i canceled. Dont have to worry about it anymore.
nice! one order less in da queue :)

is VapeFiends still selling SS Hoppers? or maybe they have received new portion of Ti? anybody knows? every time i go in that page all Hoppers shows to be sold out. perhaps in exact hours they are quickly sold, i guess.

WhyAreWeWaiting

The question should be, "Who took English in school?" :\
@Ratchett wrote nothing about how many Hoppers were shipped, only "sold". Argue about the meaning of "sold" if you must. You are taking issue with something that was never said.
This is a direct quote from Ratchett "I estimate they have already sold over 40,000 grasshoppers."

You can argue about the difference between "sold" and "shipped" as long as you like. But whether it's sold or shipped, it doesn't change the fact that there is no way that 40,000 could have been sold OR shipped. How could they have "sold" 40,000 when Hopper have told us that they had 5,200 outstanding orders?

Hopper also claimed that it would take 9 and a half weeks at 550 a week to clear all preorders which confirms that they are claiming i.e. 5,200 units outstanding as of last month. So is Ratchett/You saying that since their update that they have "sold" another 35,000 units? Get a grip guys. it's simple maths. I'll say it again, Ratchett's claim that they have "sold" 40,000 units is pure and unadulterated BS.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
This is a direct quote from Ratchett "I estimate they have already sold over 40,000 grasshoppers."

You can argue about the difference between "sold" and "shipped" as long as you like. But whether it's sold or shipped,l it doesn't change the fact that there is no way that 40,000 could have been sold or shipped. How could they have "sold" 40,000 when Hopper have told us that they had 5,200 outstanding orders?
Hopper also claimed that it would take 9 and a half weeks at 550 a week to clear all preorders which indicates that they are claiming 5,200 units outstanding as of last month. So is Ratchett/You saying that since their update that they have "sold" another 35,000 units? Get a grip guys. it's simple maths. I'll say it again, Ratchett's claim that they have "sold" 40,000 units is pure and unadulterated BS.
You are the one arguing. @Ratchett postulated an estimate re; sales and you took off with a straw man argument about production/shipping. @Ratchett 's told us that his estimate is based on several factors that have almost nothing to do with what HL said in their updates. He is in the vape accessory business and has his own set of hard sales data. In addition, he is in touch with others in the 'vape' industry and has anecdotal evidence from those sources. He made an estimate based on what he knows and sees, not a hard 'claim'. So i think your saying it's unadulterated BS is misguided and uncalled for, that's my main argument here. Tired of that, so, done now.

Vaperist

There is a post on reddit saying they are waiting on charger parts. Also it has been mentioned, but not confirmed that they do bulk shipment at the end of the month.
i want to believe. but i have very unkind feeling that HopperLabs are making up many kind of excuses every month so they can keep selling on VapeFiends and earn more money there while pre-orderers keep faithfully waiting. i hope that i'm wrong. but in last two months it very seems so.

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

i want to believe. but i have very unkind feeling that HopperLabs are making up many kind of excuses every month so they can keep selling on VapeFiends and earn more money there while pre-orderers keep faithfully wait. i hope that i'm wrong. but in last two months it very seems so.
A fair guess but I respectfully disagree. Any ghl sales to Vapefiend are wholesale, so ghl's profit margins have to be smaller than preorder retail sales. I think I remember that Vapefiend was one of the retailer/backers. Is that right? If so, ghl is just fulfilling its order to them.

Does anyone know of any other retailers who have orders for the gh?

WhyAreWeWaiting

You are the one arguing. @Ratchett postulated an estimate re; sales and you took off with a straw man argument about production/shipping. @Ratchett 's told us that his estimate is based on several factors that have almost nothing to do with what HL said in their updates. He is in the vape accessory business and has his own set of hard sales data. In addition, he is in touch with others in the 'vape' industry and has anecdotal evidence from those sources. He made an estimate based on what he knows and sees, not a hard 'claim'. So i think your saying it's unadulterated BS is misguided and uncalled for, that's my main argument here. Tired of that, so, done now.
Just because his sales of accessories have increased is no reason for him to pull a figure of 40,000 out of his nether regions. It's just a ridiculous claim he's making. What anecdotal evidence are you talking about? I'm using HL's figures to prove that he's talking BS. That's all.

WhyAreWeWaiting,

Vaperist

A fair guess but I respectfully disagree. Any ghl sales to Vapefiend are wholesale, so ghl's profit margins have to be smaller than preorder retail sales.

that is true. wholesale earns less per unit. but all pre-orderer's money are already in da bank. why would send them ordered product that you can earn extra $ while faithfuls wait?

this conspiracy theory will be brought down if we see address confirmation reports here BEFORE VapeFiends are restocked with fresh bunch of Ti Hoppers, which they have out of stock now.

EDIT: there have been a reports of Ti Hopper's shipping out to other customers after VapeFiends Ti stock was sold out, right? so that means that their order is served and they shouldn't jump in a line anymore.

Last edited:

YaFreekin Right

that is true. wholesale earns less per unit. but all pre-orderer's money are already in da bank. why would send them ordered product that you can earn extra $ while faithfuls wait?

this conspiracy theory will be brought down if we see address confirmation reports here BEFORE VapeFiends are restocked with fresh bunch of Ti Hoppers, which they have out of stock now.

They need to send the 'faithfuls' GH soon or they will begin to cancel orders in mass. The last update is very clear, they are still on target for their current shipments & infact ahead of schedule(this is very debatable).

I think it is a bit more complicated because we don't know what agreement vapefiend has with HL & when vapefiend payed for the Ti units. It could have been in Jan 2015 and they are still next in the queue.

Crow

Im only here because my phone still alerts me of this thread lol
I also ordered mine this past January and it was only for one pen so im not affecting the queue much at all for you guys :lol:

Crow,
Reactions: Vaperist

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Is vapefiend not just getting his as he is also waiting in line like everyone ?

they most have spaced out his order as he seams to have had the largest or yes I know "added on to his order", I personally have nothing against vapefiend.co.uk and think they are a fine company, if I had been in his position I would have added to my order also because "doh" Grasshopper is one hot mix tape

the drama and the tension around this product is exceptional because we got people in the thousands waiting patiently or not, for a product that seams to get incredible close to the already incredible promises off the kick-starter campaign, I know we have had faulty units but I look at this as a "pre buy" in the video game industry where you get to try the unit as its in it infancy but with that comes patches and updates for a developing product

after they get their backlog shipped, I hope they have a breather and start making custom parts for the unit, I am pretty sure some people would like a longer mouth piece, oil adapter or even a special cooling one and maybe a stand alone charger for the batteries

305333-cats-cute-kitty.jpg

even though there is no god and life is meaningless agony filled with misery and 8-12 years of dying slowly in an senior home while fermenting in your own piss while your grand kids pawn their christmas gifts from you for bath salts and your own children loathsomely talk about the way you brought them up while they drive away from that one visit a year

at least we can hope to get our grasshopper one day

WhyAreWeWaiting

Against 'Be Nice' rule. Warning point issued.
Is vapefiend not just getting his as he is also waiting in line like everyone ?

they most have spaced out his order as he seams to have had the largest or yes I know "added on to his order", I personally have nothing against vapefiend.co.uk and think they are a fine company, if I had been in his position I would have added to my order also because "doh" Grasshopper is one hot mix tape

the drama and the tension around this product is exceptional because we got people in the thousands waiting patiently or not, for a product that seams to get incredible close to the already incredible promises off the kick-starter campaign, I know we have had faulty units but I look at this as a "pre buy" in the video game industry where you get to try the unit as its in it infancy but with that comes patches and updates for a developing product

after they get their backlog shipped, I hope they have a breather and start making custom parts for the unit, I am pretty sure some people would like a longer mouth piece, oil adapter or even a special cooling one and maybe a stand alone charger for the batteries

305333-cats-cute-kitty.jpg

even though there is no god and life is meaningless agony filled with misery and 8-12 years of dying slowly in an senior home while fermenting in your own piss while your grand kids pawn their christmas gifts from you for bath salts and your own children loathsomely talk about the way you brought them up while they drive away from that one visit a year

at least we can hope to get our grasshopper one day

My reading of the situation is that Vapefiend were one of the original backers who bought a retail package. For the sake of argument let's say they backed for 50 Hoppers at $100 each. That's an investment of €5,000. Not a small sum, but not too large a sum if the company fails.

Hopper had this utterly ridiculous facility where a customer could add an unlimited number of units to their order once the received their address confirmation email. So let's say for the sake of argument that VF added another 1,000 units to their order.

This was obviously a big problem for Hopper because they hadn't thought it through that every time someone adds more units to their order that they push everyone else down the queue. So I reckon they negotiated a deal with VF that they would supply the extra 1,000 units but that they would only release X units per month. That would explain why VF are getting them in batches. If it was only the number of units on the original VF backer number then surely all would have been supplied to VF at the same time.

When Hopper realised how the facility to add unlimited extra units to orders could be abused, they removed that facility.

It has not been disclosed how Hopper came up with the daft idea of inviting customers to add to their order. But one possible explanation is that the person who thought of it was mentally challenged.

Omphaloskeptic

A fair guess but I respectfully disagree. Any ghl sales to Vapefiend are wholesale, so ghl's profit margins have to be smaller than preorder retail sales. I think I remember that Vapefiend was one of the retailer/backers. Is that right? If so, ghl is just fulfilling its order to them.

Does anyone know of any other retailers who have orders for the gh?
I emailed Vapefiend last week, and am on their update list for hoppers. They confirmed they do not expect to have any available until "mid June".

Vaperist

My reading of the situation is that Vapefiend were one of the original backers who bought a retail package. For the sake of argument let's say they backed for 50 Hoppers at $100 each. That's an investment of €5,000. Not a small sum, but not too large a sum if the company fails.

Hopper had this utterly ridiculous facility where a customer could add an unlimited number of units to their order once the received their address confirmation email. So let's say for the sake of argument that VF added another 1,000 units to their order.

This was obviously a big problem for Hopper because they hadn't thought it through that every time someone adds more units to their order that they push everyone else down the queue. So I reckon they negotiated a deal with VF that they would supply the extra 1,000 units but that they would only release X units per month. That would explain why VF are getting them in batches. If it was only the number of units on the original VF backer number then surely all would have been supplied to VF at the same time.

When Hopper realised how the facility to add unlimited extra units to orders could be abused, they removed that facility.

It has not been disclosed how Hopper came up with the daft idea of inviting customers to add to their order. But one possible explanation is that the person who thought of it was mentally challenged.

i e-mailed HL about that ludicrous adding-units-to-existing-order policy. saying my point of view that one reason to rethink this policy is to prevent people from canceling their orders and adding to their friend's order which stands further up in da line. and also that it is incredibly unfair against those who wait for their one and only Hopper and because of others adding more units they gonna wait even longer. and of course this was a heaven for speculats to add units and sell them on eBay.

wanna know what they answered to me? they said that adding units is a way to say thank you for waiting. whatttt? :doh: so one with more money and willingness to speculate get "thanks" while others get more wait. after answer like that i got very emotional in this forum and got banned for a week.

i bet that if people didn't rise up a noise trough PayPal then things would stay the same and we would wait forever while retailers keep abusing this add-on situation.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

It's not so daft when it increased sales and revenue.
My order tripled, and I'd have made it bigger if I could've avoided income tax in doing so.
If I had to buy as a new order, I probably wouldn't have bothered. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Allowing adding items to an order puts emphasis on ordering earlier, or being quicker to support.
Maybe Hopper Labs appreciate that? It's how they got to where they are after all.

Is it not undeniably fair that people who've waited the longest get some privilege (like being served first in a store)?
I've been waiting nearly 10 months, it seems normal to me that someone waiting 12 or more should be deemed a more important customer. What was stopping them ordering more units in the first place?
The size of the gamble?
More units sold and made is good for HL and reduces the risk for buyers.

One thing HL have done is made the warranty non-transferable. So it's not so simple to scalp and make it worthwhile.

Last edited:

Vaperist

Is it not undeniably fair that people who've waited the longest get some privilege (like being served first in a store)?

OK with that, but if his friend comes in store latter and is jumping a line before me- i got problem with that. i wasn't raging because some early pre-orderer added one or two units for himself or his wife. but this policy was so easy to be abused by speculants and retailers.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My order tripled, and I'd have made it bigger if I could've avoided income tax in doing so.
If I had to buy as a new order, I probably wouldn't have bothered. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Allowing adding items to an order puts emphasis on ordering earlier, or being quicker to support.
Maybe Hopper Labs appreciate that? It's how they got to where they are after all.

I've been waiting nearly 10 months, it seems normal to me that someone waiting 12 or more should be deemed a more important customer. What was stopping them ordering more units in the first place?
The size of the gamble?
More units sold and made is good for HL and reduces the risk for buyers.

One thing HL have done is made the warranty non-transferable. So it's not so simple to scalp and make it worthwhile.
I tend to agree with you on most of this. I quadrupled my single one to four as an affirmation and an acceptance of the 'thankyou' nature of the offer. (they are all for family btw)

I also think that the system had some flaws and at times has felt unfair, even to me. But I see and allow that HL may have some other relationships, call them wholesale or distribution or what you like. Something of that nature with say, Vapefiend is obviously happening.

Re; the warranty. The system is set up so that the unit has to be registered with HL but not necessarily by the first owner, just the first person who registers the unit by using the code on the box and the hopper's s/n. Once registered it is not transferable. This allows me to buy a hopper in my name and gift it to my daughter who can then register as the owner. It also allows for some speculation by scalper-types! My guess is that this was reaching uncomfortable levels (not the money!) even for HL and they had to refine the system.

To me, it would make more sense for the item to be warranted to the original (retail) purchaser only, but this is a startup company after all. I don't blame them (much!) for trying to come up with $ to realize the hopper dream.

vapviking,

MoltenTiger

OK with that, but if his friend comes in store latter and is jumping a line before me- i got problem with that. i wasn't raging because some early pre-orderer added one or two units for himself or his wife. but this policy was so easy to be abused by speculants and retailers.
True, it is a bit different in this instance, but at the same time it's still just people buying more items before the check out process is complete, so it's more akin to waiting for someone who forgot the milk for grandma at the supermarket (which is a burden on everyone but that particular customer, but allowing them to run back and grab it is proper custom).
If a January pre-order ordered an extra 100 hoppers, or came back with crates of milk, then they'd probably be denied service.
Because although what @vapviking is true, you still need to have an account to assign a hopper for warranty - and so if someone was to properly scalp it would be easy for HL to make this too complicated or simply outright prevent it.

MoltenTiger,

WhyAreWeWaiting

It may not be so daft for Hopper, but it's disingenuous, dishonest and unfair to everyone who has already ordered. It is abusing customers who were given a totally false expectation that their GH would be shipped within 2 months by pushing them further back in line so that HL can bring in some more cash. This is shoddy business practice at best, and borderline fraudulent at worst.

If we take this to its logical conclusion then in theory not one of the customers who paid for their product would ever get it. I suspect I might need to spell this out for you. So here goes. Let's say that every retailers adds tens of thousands of units to their original order with the knowledge that they can charge a high premium because of the pent up demand for the GH. The result of this is that all the individual customers are pushed back by tens of thousands. so if Hopper had not stopped this practice, after the horse had bolted, in theory no one who ordered would ever get their GH which they had paid for over 16 months ago. Ponzi springs to mind.

Allowing adding items to an order puts emphasis on ordering earlier, or being quicker to support. Maybe Hopper Labs appreciate that? It's how they got to where they are after all.

Are you unaware that the people who were pushed down the line are people who were the 1st to order in January 2015? You mean that got Hopper to currently be one of the most despised companies online?

The store analogy is totally flawed. Everyone who has ordered has already paid. They are not standing in line waiting to purchase one.

So would be happy to wait indefinitely so that everyone who ordered before you added more units to sell them at a profit on eBay?[/QUOTE]

WhyAreWeWaiting,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
@WhyAreWeWaiting Companies can't choose to do business the they they want to. Folks can choose to shop elsewhere. Nobody is making anyone buy these units. Eventually if the company does well this vaporizer will probably be sold at a lot of different places.

I have chosen to sit back and watch to see how this vaporizer does. I didn't want to give the company my money and have to wait for a year or year and a half to get my product. Anyone can ask to get their money back and wait until another time to buy.

It sounds like this has gotten to be a major frustration for you, it's not worth to stress out about a vaporizer.

MoltenTiger

It may not be so daft for Hopper, but it's disingenuous, dishonest and unfair to everyone who has already ordered. It is abusing customers who were given a totally false expectation that their GH would be shipped within 2 months by pushing them further back in line so that HL can bring in some more cash. This is shoddy business practice at best, and borderline fraudulent at worst.

If we take this to its logical conclusion then in theory not one of the customers who paid for their product would ever get it. I suspect I might need to spell this out for you. So here goes. Let's say that every retailers adds tens of thousands of units to their original order with the knowledge that they can charge a high premium because of the pent up demand for the GH. The result of this is that all the individual customers are pushed back by tens of thousands. so if Hopper had not stopped this practice, after the horse had bolted, in theory no one who ordered would ever get their GH which they had paid for over 16 months ago. Ponzi springs to mind.

Are you unaware that the people who were pushed down the line are people who were the 1st to order in January 2015? You mean that got Hopper to currently be one of the most despised companies online?

The store analogy is totally flawed. Everyone who has ordered has already paid. They are not standing in line waiting to purchase one.

So would be happy to wait indefinitely so that everyone who ordered before you added more units to sell them at a profit on eBay?
How is it disingenuous?
Because it displaces you?
How is it dishonest? It was all outlayed properly, it wasn't some kind of secret - it was a stated benefit of supporting them at various early stages as a 'thank you' for our likely patience.

Again, for sales and revenue it served to be beneficial.

In the case of VapeFiend (who seem to be the largest supporter yet) obtaining a large quantity; we don't know its actual size but I think "1000's" is blatantly exaggerating, the more realistic alternative of hundreds marked an important step in HL's international marketing and brand integrity.
It is far more important to have success in this field than it is to get every Tom, Dick and Larry (or 'WhyAreWeWaiting' and 'MoltenTiger') their small order. All in due time.
I'm happy waiting on my order, I'm content knowing what it has taken to get this product to fruition.
Crowd funding is not easy, and IMO they've done an exceptional job keeping this in-house.

Last edited:
Top Bottom