Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volteric

Its weird cuz I just had combustion occur. I have no baskets or extra screens and BAM ignition on my first hit. Just when I think I got the right moves something strange like this occurs.

Volteric,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
It's interesting that my experience is different from many other owners who are contributing to this thread. I feel that the FF is one of the more difficult portable vapes to master. At this point I think I would recommend almost any of my portable vapes to someone new to vaping, rather than the FF.

I am generally excited to try new techniques, grinds, screens, space capsules, etc... in my FF, but I do not feel that this vape is easy to use right out of the box. I have had some rewarding sessions with it, but I feel I have a lot more work to do before I settle into a routine with the FF.

You *do* need to spend more time with it. Took some of us a few weeks to really find the rhythm. I agree with you, it's not love at first session. And I wouldn't hand it to a first-time vaper either. But like all things that take a while to master, it is worth the effort, trust me.

Its weird cuz I just had combustion occur. I have no baskets or extra screens and BAM ignition on my first hit. Just when I think I got the right moves something strange like this occurs.

Remember, this is what happened to me with FF 1. Fine, used the top screen, combusted wildly, stopped using the screen, kept having combustion. Wasn't sure if the heat sensor got out of whack from the screen. I'm still puzzled by it. Keep an eye on it, you can always get a replacement. It shouldn't be doing that, and even if the screen caused it, it doesn't violate the warranty to use it, so if you have issues they will replace it.

But yeah, weird stuff. Same damn thing happened to me. As you said, just when you think you have your head around the FF....

Can you describe your method for pushing the power button? Do you only press once and hold while you draw then let go of the button and continue to draw after the release? Are you using the carb method I read about where you press and let go of the power button a number of times during your draw?

Vaporipped,

Shiggity

Definitely a one push and hold for me. I have lowered the hold time to about 4-5 seconds and then draw for 5-7 more.

On the baskets making things taste funny/possible conduction: Some of this will take place because of the sides of the basket in my opinion. more metal in contact with the herb means more conduction. This metal is also in the beginning of the vapor path where heat is highest. Some of the hot air is going to flow along the sides of the metal baskets as well because this will be the path of least resistance.

In the end most of the time I use the FF with just the screen in the bottom and sometimes with my top spring. I have changed the bottom screen once since purchasing. I do wish the bottom screen wouldn't so easily move to the sides. I have toyed with the idea of making a dome using a screen that is slightly to large and pushing that down into the edges so it spreads out and leaves a little dome. a space between the bottom plate and screen that may diminish the "hotspots" I sometimes see in the center of the sample when mixing.

Last edited:
For those still struggling to find their sweet spot on the FF: I have found holding the button for 3-4 seconds..then beginning your draw while continuing to hold for a total of 8-9 secs and drawing after the button is released (meanwhile holding the button and blocking the air vents on around the exterior of the heating element while pressing down on the top cover to minimize air escaping or wasting your breath) ..then stirring.. then resuming same pattern each time leads to nearly flawless reaults and no wasted or lost vapor. Not trying to rush or risk potential combustion seems like it generates solid and unharmful results..and you get longevity..seems like an easy win/win .. I understand modifying for stronger draws and less mess but most of you have other vapes to extract the 'last good hit' .. that said.. button mashing (2 times in 1 hit with time delays) is effective by constraining airflow from the exterior air passages on your FF and faster draws .. but you must be aware of the heated device within your FF and how the designers made it to reach higher temps but that doesn't mean you can use the same technique.

I hope this helps those that may still be frustrated..even though similar techniques have been stated previously in bits and pieces..

good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone direct me to a video of this in use? I read the last 15 pages and just found pictures and techniques? I am debating between this and the pax and would like to see vids of actual users first. Also I really didn't see size comparisons? Is it about the size of your hand? Is the efficiency and taste that much better than the pax(because I love in a non med state ATM and stealth is nice to have)?

VapeNStone,
Reactions: mckeen

natural farmer

Can someone direct me to a video of this in use? I read the last 15 pages and just found pictures and techniques? I am debating between this and the pax and would like to see vids of actual users first. Also I really didn't see size comparisons? Is it about the size of your hand? Is the efficiency and taste that much better than the pax(because I love in a non med state ATM and stealth is nice to have)?
It's a full convection vape mate!!! Of course it tastes better than the conduction oven the PAX is. The only reason I can think you'd want to get a Pax is if you wanna vape in public and not been noticed… And because you might just like how it looks! :lol: ;)

It's a full convection vape mate!!! Of course it tastes better than the conduction oven the PAX is. The only reason I can think you'd want to get a Pax is if you wanna vape in public and not been noticed… And because you might just like how it looks! :lol: ;)
See that's the thing. This would be my on the go portable so it would be being used outside of bars or wherever I'm at. If the firefly is small enough I could probably get away with it without much interest. But he pax would be easier but then I heard that it's smelly when it's on?

VapeNStone,

mitchgo61

Can you describe your method for pushing the power button? Do you only press once and hold while you draw then let go of the button and continue to draw after the release? Are you using the carb method I read about where you press and let go of the power button a number of times during your draw?

Hold for a 3-4 second precount. Start to hit. Hold for a few seconds longer. How long is a matter of feel and practice. Let off the button...keep drawing to carb out the rest of the vapor. Don't ever push the button a second time once you let off it...it can start the heat cycle again and cause overheating. Once you release the button, don't push it again till your next hit.

On the baskets making things taste funny/possible conduction: Some of this will take place because of the sides of the basket in my opinion. more metal in contact with the herb means more conduction. This metal is also in the beginning of the vapor path where heat is highest. Some of the hot air is going to flow along the sides of the metal baskets as well because this will be the path of least resistance.

The difference between "native" and using the basket is ridiculous. Went back to hitting the FF native again after removing the basket. Man, the taste of the FF is amazing. One thing eager modders overlook with the FF is that its genius lies in its simplicity. Yes, it can be a bit messy. But it's easy to clean, and sweet Jesus, the natural, clean taste of the FF is second to none. Why ruin the taste to solve a problem I don't mind (keeping the lid clean) and a problem I don't have at all (keeping the bowl clean)? This is one of those rare vapes where, IMO, the creators knew best, and all our efforts to tweak performance just get in the way of, well, great performance.

Seriously, standing ovation from me to the FF designers. You guys knew what I needed more than I did. :clap:

See that's the thing. This would be my on the go portable so it would be being used outside of bars or wherever I'm at. If the firefly is small enough I could probably get away with it without much interest. But he pax would be easier but then I heard that it's smelly when it's on?

FF doesn't throw any smell. But it's not all that stealthy...you have to hold it level, and I definitely wouldn't use it on the street or in front of a bar...I've never used a Pax so I have no comparison.

EveryDayAmnesiac

Unfortunately, we have shy folks here and the only vids are the ones I put up, and they're not exactly well done. They were also made when I was still working on my technique. So, really, they're not all that valuable.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-vaporizer.11365/page-48#post-528618

We need someone with slick vid skills to make one.

If you're going to use the FF outside a bar, you'd need a good pocket and at least 20 seconds of privacy. The only time I've fooled people is from a distance when they thought I was talking into my phone. :lol:

Where I live, no one knows what it is, but they definitely know it's SOMETHING.

Last edited:

Volteric

Damn it!!! Now i'm going to have to get both.

If you can afford it I recommend both. I have both the pax and ff and use them under different circumstances. If I were to only buy one for the reasons you cited (stealth, on the go, outside of bars, etc) it would be the Pax (Onyx color) It weighs one third the ff and it's almost one third the size. It works very well.

2 Paces

It's a full convection vape mate!!! Of course it tastes better than the conduction oven the PAX is.

Respectfully disagree. Taste is subjective.

I think the Pax tastes better than the FF. I may be in the minority, but I am not alone.

This is the correct answer. I have both and they each serve their own purpose beautifully. I wouldn't give up either of them.

Volteric

Respectfully disagree. Taste is subjective.

I think the Pax tastes better than the FF. I may be in the minority, but I am not alone.

This is the correct answer. I have both and they each serve their own purpose beautifully. I wouldn't give up either of them.

I generally find the pax to provide better flavor but every so often I'm surprised by what the ff produces but generally don't find it as flavorful as the pax. If the pax was able to heat up in 8 seconds it would trump the ff IMO. But it doesn't so I find them BOTH to be must haves!

I generally find the pax to provide better flavor but every so often I'm surprised by what the ff produces but generally don't find it as flavorful as the pax. If the pax was able to heat up in 8 seconds it would trump the ff IMO. But it doesn't so I find them BOTH to be must haves!
It all tastes good to me, :) but I am definitely not a "supertaster" which is a real ability that about 25% of the population have. You can get tested for it, and it is a genetic variant that has pro's and con's just like all of our abilities under different circumstances. I would love to have the pax too! I went with the FF because I knew the vapor would be cooler. For stealth though I'd no doubt go with the pax.
Also I am loving the inverted vapir NO2 screen in this thing. I've kept the original stock screen in and just us the vapir NO2 screen to contain my fine grind. No trimming necessary it fits perfectly, stays put and pops in/out easily. Take a look at the screen if you've never seen it. Since the screen is above the herb and only contacts a small area of the glass bowl I'm getting no metallic taste at all.

Last edited:

Volteric

It all tastes good to me, :) but I am definitely not a "supertaster" which is a real ability that about 25% of the population have. You can get tested for it, and it is a genetic variant that has pro's and con's just like all of our abilities under different circumstances. I would love to have the pax too! I went with the FF because I knew the vapor would be cooler. For stealth though I'd no doubt go with the pax.

Either way you're going to be super stoked! I will def say that the vapor produced by the FF is way cooler than the Pax.

I am a super taster lol. Does that change anything?

I am a super taster lol. Does that change anything?
I wish I had an answer for that. My sister is a super taster and will only eat a small variety of things. I've always loved just about everything out there including brussel sprouts. From what I've read you will be happy with either device!

Vaporipped,

bumdiggy84

I have both the Pax and FF... Get both , b/c there will be a pro about one and a cone about the other, blah blah...but in my opinion the FF is the better one, if you had to choose one. I haven't picked up my Pax since I bought FF...(you can buy mine :nod:)

After more testing, I am now settled to... "native", .05 fine grind (at home), and top screen...

Only if I know I need quick fast pop and go (which happens from time to time when out and about) will i actually resort to the basket...There is virtually no cleaning hassle using the native bowl besides blow/swab(optional)/blow technique...

but that lid? I am completely spoiled from the top screen...I am using those ones you get from a convenience store, cigarette shop...they are already the perfect size, they are thin like the stock screens, but big enough to cover to entire bowl, and "fit" under the lid just right...I still have to swab the lid, but it is 98% cleaner...

So the screen gives me the less mess/fine grind (which i prefer), and native bowl, still provides the taste/richer hits..and with fine grind, I dont have to open and stir...just shake

I want to personally thank mitchgo61 (for screen idea :clap::science:), natural farmer (1.for commenting on the amount.. Im now down to .05, shaking those bits all around like little itty bitty lottery balls, winning every draw :tup: ),and 2. bringing back up the screen idea :science:)

I ended up trying the basket idea before just trying the screen w/o the basket...so with your help I've found the TWO best ways to efficiently medicate based on my circumstance

mitchgo61

I have both the Pax and FF... Get both , b/c there will be a pro about one and a cone about the other, blah blah...but in my opinion the FF is the better one, if you had to choose one. I haven't picked up my Pax since I bought FF...(you can buy mine :nod:)

After more testing, I am now settled to... "native", .05 fine grind (at home), and top screen...

Only if I know I need quick fast pop and go (which happens from time to time when out and about) will i actually resort to the basket...There is virtually no cleaning hassle using the native bowl besides blow/swab(optional)/blow technique...

but that lid? I am completely spoiled from the top screen...I am using those ones you get from a convenience store, cigarette shop...they are already the perfect size, they are thin like the stock screens, but big enough to cover to entire bowl, and "fit" under the lid just right...I still have to swab the lid, but it is 98% cleaner...

So the screen gives me the less mess/fine grind (which i prefer), and native bowl, still provides the taste/richer hits..and with fine grind, I dont have to open and stir...just shake

I want to personally thank mitchgo61 (for screen idea :clap::science:), natural farmer (1.for commenting on the amount.. Im now down to .05, shaking those bits all around like little itty bitty lottery balls, winning every draw :tup: ),and 2. bringing back up the screen idea :science:)

I ended up trying the basket idea before just trying the screen w/o the basket...so with your help I've found the TWO best ways to efficiently medicate based on my circumstance

My pleasure my friend. Thanks for your creativity as well. Who has more fun than the FC community? No one!

I agree that FF2.0, whenever it happens, should incorporate some kind of lid screen. Would make life much neater.

fogbank

I wonder if the folks who've done it successfully without combusting have one of those "cold units" the FF folks told me were floating around...
Maybe the "cold" units are cool enough that they can tolerate the extra heat generated with a top screen.

Can you elaborate on what the FF folks told you about "cold units"?

You *do* need to spend more time with it. Took some of us a few weeks to really find the rhythm.

So here's the thing: I have used the FF for the last few days, at least 10 sessions total. During all of my experimentation with draw technique, heat time, bowl fill, grind/no grind, etc... NOT ONCE have I felt there was significant vapor production while the button was pressed. The only time I have felt strong vapor production is after the button is released. And it seems that I can only get there by drawing quite hard for a period of time before releasing the button.

I tried a full cycle pre-heat (held power button until auto-shutoff) before pressing again for my first draw. Still no significant vapor during the power cycle. I tried nearly whole nuggets and did not have any more success than I did with ground material.

The only thing that has worked even half decently for me is to fill the bowl to the top (and then some) with medium-fine ground material, tamp it down loosely, hit the power, and start honking on the thing. First hit will be very wispy, subsequent hits will be better (if I'm lucky), but I will only start feeling vapor after I let go of the button. It's not until near the end of the session, several minutes in, before I feel it starting to produce vapor consistently. By then the load is pretty much spent.

In exchange for my need to "honk" on the thing to get vapor production started I am rewarded with a window that is covered with resin and plant material.

I read every post in this thread before buying the FF. I was prepared to experiment with draw speed, grind, fill amount, etc... However I was also expecting noticeable vapor production while the button is depressed.

Question for other owners: Do you feel vapor production while you're pressing the button? If so, how soon after you press the button do you feel it?

fogbank,

Volteric

Question for other owners: Do you feel vapor production while you're pressing the button? If so, how soon after you press the button do you feel it?

See, that's the counter-intuitive thing with this unit,IMO. The glow is NOT the visual cue and therefore leaning on the heat button is only a guide. Most of the hitting/toking should occur while the unit is NOT glowing. Ride the beginning and ending of the glow-if that makes sense? I think of the red glow more as a warning sign rather than the cue. Some of the best draws are when the unit is not glowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom