Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Firefly kicked my ass last night. Loving this thing so far. Battery life could be better. I think i need to get an external charger ande xtra battery. Ive been spoiled by having batteries sitting in my charger while i use the cera which has been my only LL vape for a few months. I got some good taste but nothing amazing. Maybe ill have to keep playing around. I think the cera provides a little better taste but its soo nice not having to worry about burning my lips after a few minutes of use

Robob

Veteran Vaporist
Im enjoying having the external charger even though it uses the plug included w/FF. Im working on my technique still, having issues getting cape sometimes but I'm continuing to become more efficient with the FF.
Taste is excellent, almost on par with my Vapor Brothers and love the less draw resistance than the Solo.
Battery life is the only concern, I'm thinking 3 batteries total with another charger will be best for me. That way i can use the external and charge one in the FF at the same time

cancertoast

So my FF was delivered yesterday. I broke up some herb by hand, and used the same amount it takes to fill an Arizer screen cap. At first, I wasn't getting any vapor, just a slight taste of fresh herb. Then I realized I did not have the top half firmly seated. Once I fixed that issue, the FF was hitting like a champion. I still need to perfect my technique to increase battery efficiency. I am used to an Arizer Vtower (an original.) The FF unit is so much more convenient, and I feel like it will be overall, more efficient, and less wasteful. I am going to try to use an Arizer basket tonight. As it is, I have been usign a bowl until the herb is a dry light green. I am assuming I should be shooting for the 'golden yellow/slight brown' color. So I still have some use for my current batch of ABV.

Last edited:

cancertoast

You could but those screens are slightly bigger in diameter, so you would have to cut them...I find a top screen is only required if you use .1 of fine grind.... .1 of med grind, or stuffing .2 fine gring, you can start off w/o top screen, but as you get closer to the end, then top screen is recommended...

or just put top screen on all the time and enjoy, its not harming anything to start with it on

ywviBSA.jpg

up6fkF2.jpg

bowl to the left is .2 fine grind, bowl on right is .1 med grind

So you are putting the basket in upside down, or are you inserting it, herb-side up? If you are placing the basket upside down (herb facing the heating element,) did you remove the screen from the bottom of the FF chamber?

cancertoast,

Volteric

So you are putting the basket in upside down, or are you inserting it, herb-side up? If you are placing the basket upside down (herb facing the heating element,) did you remove the screen from the bottom of the FF chamber?

I am dropping in the basket right side up, where the herb is exposed to the window portal. I have not tried it upside down yet or without the FF screen in tack. I have found that a perfect seal is created with the added lip of the Arizer basket screen. I have noticed way more even vaping and abv. Don't notice a metallic taste but an uptick in flavor since I am using a finer grind. It is generally keeping the unit free of debris and has been pretty easy to clean.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
So my FF was delivered yesterday. I broke up some herb by hand, and used the same amount it takes to fill an Arizer screen cap. At first, I wasn't getting any vapor, just a slight taste of fresh herb. Then I realized I did not have the top half firmly seated. Once I fixed that issue, the FF was hitting like a champion. I still need to perfect my technique to increase battery efficiency. I am used to an Arizer Vtower (an original.) The FF unit is so much more convenient, and I feel like it will be overall, more efficient, and less wasteful. I am going to try to use an Arizer basket tonight. As it is, I have been usign a bowl until the herb is a dry light green. I am assuming I should be shooting for the 'golden yellow/slight brown' color. So I still have some use for my current batch of ABV.

You may find that the VTE can extract the last couple of hits that you cannot get from the FF. I don't really think the FF is either more efficient or less wasteful than the VTE, just different. If you use elbow packs with the VTE it expends your material faster, but not due to waste, just due to cooking larger hits at any given time. Like the difference between a bong and a pipe.

mitchgo61,
Reactions: mckeen

cancertoast

You may find that the VTE can extract the last couple of hits that you cannot get from the FF. I don't really think the FF is either more efficient or less wasteful than the VTE, just different. If you use elbow packs with the VTE it expends your material faster, but not due to waste, just due to cooking larger hits at any given time. Like the difference between a bong and a pipe.

It probably doesn't help that I need to replace the tubing for my VTE. From a mental perspective, it feels like I would be saving more with the FF. When I have my VTE on for long periods of time, it seems like some of the vapor is lost.

cancertoast,

natural farmer

I hope I don't get one of those "cold" FFs that can't take the ABV to darker pastures... It'll be costly to send it back to the US... :uhoh: I like high temps!

natural farmer,

Gskate

Just got my silver firefly in the mail yesterday, and I love it. It's not the volcano but then what is. That being said everything about it is just fantastic. The ease to get to the bowl IMO and ability to clean influences if a vaporizer is going to work for me. Not to mention the high is exceptional. I have an iolite that works fine except accessing it to reload and to clean is another story. I have tried the pax, but it seems cheaply made compared to the firefly. Not to mention while others might feel the small bowl of the firefly is a liability I feel it is an asset. When using the pax it seemed that because of the rather large bowl burning unevenly was more of a possibility than with the firefly. Do not get me wrong I did like the pax but I knew it just was not for me and was holding out for something else and when I saw the firefly I thought this might be it, of course I have said that before, and will not mention the various disappointments, but so far I could not be more impressed with the firefly. I feel the small bowl makes cooking everything evenly more likely. But there is definitely a learning curve, and it is definitely not for the beginner and not a great party piece. But for a personal vaporizer it is fantastic.

mitchgo61

It probably doesn't help that I need to replace the tubing for my VTE. From a mental perspective, it feels like I would be saving more with the FF. When I have my VTE on for long periods of time, it seems like some of the vapor is lost.

Probably your imagination...it's pure convection, and the distance of the bowl (even the cyclone bowl) and the heating element prevents any passive cooking. I leave mine on all afternoon and evening, with the whip/elbow bowl attached and filled, and the material is barely warm. The VTE stays ready, but unlike a powerful conduction approach, your material will remain uncooked until you actively draw.

mitchgo61,

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
I hope I don't get one of those "cold" FFs that can't take the ABV to darker pastures... It'll be costly to send it back to the US... :uhoh: I like high temps!
So do I, natural farmer. I'll tell you right now that you will have to use your FF ABV in another higher-temp vaporizer for the last few hits if you wish it dark brown like I do.

Others have had success at getting their ABV pretty brown but it's a bit of effort. I also have never been able to combust in this thing so maybe I have a 'colder unit'? Just don't want to sink anymore $ into this thing by sending it back.

It all really depends on how you like to vaporize...that will decide if you like the FF or not.

WildChild,

Volteric

So do I, natural farmer. I'll tell you right now that you will have to use your FF ABV in another higher-temp vaporizer for the last few hits if you wish it dark brown like I do.

Others have had success at getting their ABV pretty brown but it's a bit of effort. I also have never been able to combust in this thing so maybe I have a 'colder unit'? Just don't want to sink anymore $ into this thing by sending it back.

It all really depends on how you like to vaporize...that will decide if you like the FF or not.

I agree. What I found intriguing is that filling the Arizer basket screen with fine ground material allowed me to get the abv even and coffee brown! Was not able to do that with FF bowl and hand ground herb.

Raskin666

Doom Walrus
I can "finish" each bowl by doing a couple "pipe puff" sips then a draw, release the button and keep drawing, then re press after about 4 or 5 seconds and continue. More recently I have been getting things dark brown but with no charring. I actually sped up my draw speed a bit from my original technique.

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
I agree. What I found intriguing is that filling the Arizer basket screen with fine ground material allowed me to get the abv even and coffee brown! Was not able to do that with FF bowl and hand ground herb.
Very cool. I was reading about a few of you trying that. I'll dig out an extra Extreme Q screen tonight and give it a go.:tup:

Thanks, Volteric.

@Raskin666

I'll try your method too! Thanks.

grokit

well-worn member
Hmm...
If there's hotter/cooler versions of the ff,
and combustion is achieved for some when using the top screen method,
if I thought I had a cool-running unit I might try it.
Just a thought, sorry if anybody else already posted this idea :nod:

grokit,

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
Hmm...
I really do believe that may be the case, grokit. I can bang on that heater button like I'm a contestant on Jeopardy and cannot make anything burn for the life of me. Wish I had one of the 'hotter' units. Anybody wish to trade?:wave:

Volteric

Hmm...

I'm still wondering if throwing in a screen or basket conducts higher temps than without. It seems that is the case and might explain how I'm getting more even abv with darker outcomes. In any case I'm preferring this method above all thus far. If I push it towards the end I get combustion, I was able to get combustion without basket so I'm thinking that technique obviously plays a big part with this device.

Volteric,

rsqemt911

I kicked it old school and put the screen back in and am using the glass bowls without Arizer screen. I am also making a very tight pack. The whole "puck" stays together pretty well until the first stir. It usually floats up out of the bowl a little and breaks up when I pack it back down. The lid actually doesn't require much cleaning with my current grind. Once I do the stir I get a few particles but nothing major.

For the first time since I got it I killed a battery again. Luckily I just picked up an extra power cord, charger, and battery. I ran the crap out of it off 3 bowls and got the whole unit really toasty. It got VERY warm in my hands. I didn't combust but I did have a few dark dots mixed in with the otherwise perfect coffee grounds.

I am getting very medicated but i still feel like I'm not 100% "getting it". I get more consistant results with my other vapes. This one either seems like it's putting out vapor like a fog machine or ghosting it and then the effect sneaks up on you.

Either way I am having fun learning.

mitchgo61

I have no trouble getting the material dark, dark brown in the FF. However...it's *still* not spent. Weird thing is it looks darker than material in my VTE, even when the VTE material is thoroughly spent. I'll take dark dark FF abv that won't produce any more vapor, and at 200-210 C in the VTE, two or three very large hits. So for me it's less about the color and more about the functional state of the material.

I'm still wondering if throwing in a screen or basket conducts higher temps than without. It seems that is the case and might explain how I'm getting more even abv with darker outcomes. In any case I'm preferring this method above all thus far. If I push it towards the end I get combustion, I was able to get combustion without basket so I'm thinking that technique obviously plays a big part with this device.

This is the conclusion I've come to as well. There appear to be three general classes of FFs...the cold, just right, and hot units. The not "just right" units seem rightly to be a very rare, small minority. In a "just right" unit the screen may add heat but it doesn't seem to really produce combustion, or even hugely different results in color. A "hot" unit will start combusting wildly once a second screen is introduced. I guess it's just too-hot enough that whatever small amount of extra heat conductivity is introduced into the chamber with the top screen is enough to cause combustion. What's odd is that in at least a few cases this seems to change the heat sensor permanently and leave you with a combusting FF.

Just my inference from my own and others' experiences.

fogbank

Happy to talk Firefly all day long! :D The FF *does* require a faster draw than normal for a small portable vape...

Good luck and let us know what happens. I have a feeling once you get a normal-functioning unit you will be surprised at how much you get out of it.

Well I forced myself to go into "semi-survival" mode with the FF, meaning that whenever I have a choice I must always choose the FF and make it work for me.

I can't tell you how on-target you are with your "faster draw than normal for a small portable vape" comment. I have never used anything but small portable vapes.

As I forced myself to use the FF and work on my technique, I started pondering the difference between "does not work as advertised" and "does not meet my expectations". I am now firmly convinced that, in my case, the situation was the latter. Really the word "match" should be used instead of "meet".

I read every page of this thread before purchasing. My "expectations" were that I would get instant vapor, possibly up to the point of combustion, with little or no "warm up" period. I expected Pax or PnP type hits that started right away. I expected to finish a session in only a few minutes. I was also convinced that the herb should remain in the bowl and not fly around or get stuck to the window. It is this last "expectation" that was the biggest obstacle to my success. My technique had been based in part on that misconception, so I was still drawing way too slowly.

So now I am filling the bowl with ground material (whole nugs not as productive for me), maybe overfilling a little, letting it glow for 4-5 seconds, and then DRAWING HARD to get vapor production started. I pay no mind to the material flying around or sticking to the window. I think of the bowl and window as a "chamber" where the hot air can swirl around the material. On my last session I blew a big cloud on my FIRST hit, and each subsequent hit was even larger.

I now feel like I am sprinting toward the finish line in the race to get the FF to work as I hoped it would. I am getting dense vapor much more consistently, and with stirring I can get pretty evenly browned ABV with decent extraction. And of course the effects I'm getting are very satisfying.

I feel like I came to my initial conclusion too quickly, even though at the time it seemed like I had exhausted every option. Thanks to you and others in this thread for all of the feedback! I now feel like my FF works as advertised, and that I am in for a rewarding experience as I further refine my technique.

And for others having problems getting vapor from the Firefly...try drawing HARDER and FASTER than you are used to...

Last edited by a moderator:

Raskin666

Doom Walrus
Well I forced myself to go into "semi-survival" mode with the FF, meaning that whenever I had a choice I must always choose the FF and make it work for me.

I can't tell you how on-target you are with your "faster draw than normal for a small portable vape" comment. I have never used anything but small portable vapes.

As I forced myself to use the FF and work on my technique, I started pondering the difference between "does not work as advertised" and "does not meet my expectations". I am now firmly convinced that, in my case, the situation was the latter. Really the word "match" should be used instead of "meet".

I read every page of this thread before purchasing. My "expectations" were that I would get instant vapor, possibly up to the point of combustion, with little or no "warm up" period. I expected Pax or PnP type hits that started right away. I expected to finish a session in only a few minutes. I was also convinced that the herb should remain in the bowl and not fly around or get stuck to the window. It is this last "expectation" that was the biggest obstacle to my success. My technique had been based in part on that misconception, so I was still drawing way to slowly.

So now I am filling the bowl with ground material (whole nugs not as productive for me), maybe overfilling a little, letting it glow for 4-5 seconds, and then DRAWING HARD to get vapor production started. I pay no mind to the material flying around or sticking to the window. I think of the bowl and window as a "chamber" where the hot air can swirl around the material. On my last session I blew a big cloud on my FIRST hit, and each subsequent hit was even larger.

I now feel like I am sprinting toward the finish line in the race to get the FF to work as I hoped it would. I am getting dense vapor much more consistently, and with stirring I can get pretty evenly browned ABV with decent extraction. And of course the effects I'm getting are very satisfying.

I feel like I came to my initial conclusion too quickly, even though at the time it seemed like I had exhausted every option. Thanks to you and others in this thread for all of the feedback! I now feel like my FF works as advertised, and that I am in for a rewarding experience as I further refine my technique.

And for others having problems getting vapor from the Firefly...try drawing HARDER and FASTER than you are used to...
Agreed with faster draw. I was under drawing for a while and draw speed helped a lot. It meets in the middle with less button pushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom