Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meghan

alright FF fanboys. Curling is on NBC so i'm gonna dedicate the next two hours to not understanding the FF and this lovely ice sport. i'm getting black herbs. and a burny combusting smell. i'm proof not all ppl can handle daily use.

Have you considered that perhaps your unit is defective? Why not contact the company and get a replacement instead of deciding that the "black herbs and a burny combusting smell" are by design, and therefore the FF sucks?

Rather than labeling those of us with functioning Fireflys as "fanboys", perhaps apply a little logic and accept the probability that you're not having the same experience that we are. If you look around FC, you'll see that nobody makes excuses or apologies for poorly designed products...in fact, this is an extremely tough forum for manufacturers to be on for that precise reason. If a product receives an overall positive reception, especially from forum regulars, chances are that's because it does what it's supposed to do.

Miwiwa

Higher temps than 400º can be reached by the way you work it.

Combustion instructions: Begin with a fine grind, pack it, hit it very slow, stir it, pack it, hit it very slow, and you should be able to get a fire. I can get mine it light up if I want. What is happening is the 'fire triangle' — oxygen, heat, and fuel in perfect combination will cause combustion. It is on the same principle of stoking an ember into a flame. All that is needed is a single particle to ignite.

Avoid combustion instructions: Use a medium finger grind, a low pressure draw, and a light tamp, the Firefly will not ever catch on fire. I know how and why combustion can occur in the Firefly but you need to help it out a little. Once you figure out how to make the Firefly produce combustion you can permanently avoid it.

By-the-way temperatures 'inside the machine' exceed 400º every time the power button is pressed.

:puke:
The Fire fly is truly a work of art. Has anyone noticed that when you let up on the "carb" power button, you can continue to get vapors for the rest of the draw? Its not always that way, the chamber needs to be good and hot, but i feel that it is actually still hot enough to create vapor even after powered down. Maybe its just me, as I am getting the hang of this Jaguar of Vapes. I have noticed also that it seems to give you a richer first hit if you warm up the chamber for a couple of seconds before starting the draw.
Its only my third day with this beauty and I am in love.
It was a little tricky at first, but once I started using the power button as a carb, The battery life is stretched out a bit longer now, and it doesn't get nearly as hot.
I got the dark dray , and it reminds me of a stone bowl that a friend used to have. Wish it was still around, they would look great together in a photo.

fbrinsley

franklin
Have you considered that perhaps your unit is defective? Why not contact the company and get a replacement instead of deciding that the "black herbs and a burny combusting smell" are by design, and therefore the FF sucks?

Rather than labeling those of us with functioning Fireflys as "fanboys", perhaps apply a little logic and accept the probability that you're not having the same experience that we are. If you look around FC, you'll see that nobody makes excuses or apologies for poorly designed products...in fact, this is an extremely tough forum for manufacturers to be on for that precise reason. If a product receives an overall positive reception, especially from forum regulars, chances are that's because it does what it's supposed to do.
hi sorry didn't mean to upset. and i'm 99.9 my unit is fine. it's working, seemingly, like a charm. it's just i'm not doing it right. i'm an annoying and persistant bugger though so while this curling is on i'm doing what's called trial and error. when i make a post about my experience i'm in no way trying to upset people. i have a new puppy. i'm a good person. i'm just intellectually challeneged.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
alright FF fanboys. Curling is on NBC so i'm gonna dedicate the next two hours to not understanding the FF and this lovely ice sport. i'm getting black herbs. and a burny combusting smell. i'm proof not all ppl can handle daily use.
"FF fanboys"???!!!:goon: It has been suggested numerous times now by those who took the time to respond to your concerns that it would be best to contact the FF company. A little respect, please.

fbrinsley

franklin
@fbrinsley ,
ya , you might want to remove the fanboy part from your post .
I agree with @Meghan , you just might have a defective unit .

it seems every post i make that isn't a figurative licking of the FF taint, people get butt hurt. fanboy is that insulting? i'll have you know, i just had a very successful, non combusting, FF sesh. if this keeps up i'll be fanboy # wherever i fall in line. relax ppl.

so to any haters out there, i'd say perhaps do a little reading and research on this vape before you jump to hasty conclusions.

Snappo

Accessory Maker
it seems every post i make that isn't a figurative licking of the FF taint, people get butt hurt. fanboy is that insulting? i'll have you know, i just had a very successful, non combusting, FF sesh. if this keeps up i'll be fanboy # wherever i fall in line. relax ppl.

so to any haters out there, i'd say perhaps do a little reading and research on this vape before you jump to hastey conclusions.
Your avatar suits you well:D. Glad you're beginning to enjoy the FF. Again, a thoughtful dose of respect goes a long way around here.
We are not 17 years old anymore, are we?;)

fbrinsley

franklin
no no no not at all. not 17. in my convaluted thinking, when i said hey FF fanboys, i was conveying a sense of alright you FF lovers. it wasn't a slam in my lil head. it was a bro hi five. i never think that other ppl are so ridiculously sensitive like me. i'm like the chubby pale ginger kid that has to play skins in basketball. none of the slender kids really want to pass to me.

update: i would also like to make my FF experience analogous to team USA's performance against Sweden in this curling match. Team Sweden jumped out to a 3 nil lead. Team USA then mounts a 5-3 comeback. even if team USA doesn't ultimately win, they sure gave it a go! this is why vaporizing is so much more interesting than combusting.

Last edited:

Meghan

no no no not at all. not 17. in my convaluted thinking, when i said hey FF fanboys, i was conveying a sense of alright you FF lovers. it wasn't a slam in my lil head. it was a bro hi five. i never think that other ppl are so ridiculously sensitive like me. i'm like the chubby pale ginger kid that has to play skins in basketball. none of the slender kids really want to pass to me.

See, in my experience "fanboy" is often used as a bit of a dig, most frequently to suggest that someone is mindlessly devoted to something without any kind of logic or discernment. For example, people like to refer to "Apple fanboys" and suggest that they would love any product Apple released, regardless of the quality. At the very least, the term "fanboy" suggests someone who loves something to the point of obsession...and that doesn't describe my feelings for the Firefly at all. It's a great vape, especially compared to certain other vapes I've tried. But it's certainly not perfect (battery life), and I'm not prepared to mindlessly defend it and declare it the king of all vapes.

To be honest, I haven't really noticed an overabundance of "fanboys" in this thread (or any, that I recall). Just people who are having similar experiences to me, reporting them.

Also, I don't consider myself ridiculously sensitive as much as someone who doesn't suffer fools easily. :)

Snappo

Accessory Maker
See, in my experience "fanboy" is often used as a bit of a dig, most frequently to suggest that someone is mindlessly devoted to something without any kind of logic or discernment. For example, people like to refer to "Apple fanboys" and suggest that they would love any product Apple released, regardless of the quality. At the very least, the term "fanboy" suggests someone who loves something to the point of obsession...and that doesn't describe my feelings for the Firefly at all. It's a great vape, especially compared to certain other vapes I've tried. But it's certainly not perfect (battery life), and I'm not prepared to mindlessly defend it and declare it the king of all vapes.

To be honest, I haven't really noticed an overabundance of "fanboys" in this thread (or any, that I recall). Just people who are having similar experiences to me, reporting them.

Also, I don't consider myself ridiculously sensitive as much as someone who doesn't suffer fools easily. :)
Could not have been explained any better! EDIT: I find that while there's always one's personal touch present in communications, like a fingerprint, there needn't always be anything 'personal' expressed in the content. :2c::2c:

Last edited:

Raskin666

Doom Walrus
I would really like to know if fbrinsley problems are technique or defect. Let's not squash possible resolutions!

Raskin666,
Reactions: mckeen

fbrinsley

franklin
I would really like to know if fbrinsley problems are technique or defect. Let's not squash possible resolutions!
this is 100% not a defect in the unit and 100% user error. after two hours of curling on NBC i've improved technique and getting results. even feeling like i've extracted the maxiumum oils and such. darker abv than what i get from my little PD loads.

i'm getting out of it what i'm putting into it. curling USA 7 Sweden 7

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
It sounds as if there is no defects here. We do have a new FF user and a new member learning. They are both fine, when they get over their argument and work out their differences all will be...glowing. And with a second battery there is no battery issue.

Meghan

Sooo, Meghan, while I am still waiting for my FF to fly over the ocean, how does it compare to the Lotus? I am expecting pretty similar taste and sessions, no? Which one do you pick most often when you need a session in the house?
I feel the FF will be a very similar experience to the Lotus, only more luxurious and with slightly more cleaning afterwards... :)

I nearly missed this!

I think it compares quite favorably to the Lotus...they do indeed remind me of one another. The Lotus still reigns supreme for me because I can get a more thorough extraction, more easily, with the use of a jet flame lighter. That said, I've never accidentally combusted in the Firefly, either! :D The other plus side to the Lotus is the fact that battery life isn't a concern, whereas with the Firefly it's a constant one! Luckily for me, my daily routine only has me vaping two sessions from the Firefly before I have access to a charger, so I haven't had a problem yet. However, I'm keenly aware that if I went on a lengthy road trip or camping trip, I would need extra batteries for the FF (and would honestly probably also take my Solo or Pinnacle Pro as a backup).

In the house, I'm actually grabbing the FF more than I would've expected, considering that the Lotus pretty much knocked every other vape out of the rotation. I'd say I use the Lotus 60% of the time, the FF 40% (with occasional sessions using the Solo) at home. The FF is more portable since I'm most likely to use my Lotus through water (80% of the time), but I feel like I'm getting the most out of my flowers with the Lotus.

I think the two vapes complement each other well. I think you'll be pleased with the Firefly, especially if you are often in situations where using the Lotus just isn't practical (as I am).

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Higher temps than 400º can be reached by the way you work it...
By-the-way temperatures 'inside the machine' exceed 400º every time the power button is pressed.

So do you mean no matter how you work it, temps go above 400 every time the heat cycle runs? I guess I don't understand how this works, exactly. What specifically, if anything, does FF's 400F upper level spec claim apply to?

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
The heating element wire itself reaches temperatures above 400º (inside the machine) in order to produce 400º within the chamber. It's a dynamic convection vaporizer (as you know) I believe this means it uses software to control how fast the temperature reaches 400º inside the chamber from the heating element. I don't know exactly how it uses the variables but I love the results.
:love:

Also I believe I had edited my post...I am sorry for any confusion pal.

I think I get it. The heating element has to exceed 400 in order to get the whole chamber temp to 400, which means certain parts of the chamber may exceed 400 at certain times. Or something like that. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Confusion is the default state at our house.:ko:

EveryDayAmnesiac

Attempted to make a respectable video this time. Other people who do this better than I really need to start making vids here.

FF from a cold start for just one toke. With 100 % legal herbs. I had hit it maybe 10 minutes before this? Closer to 15, probably.

Still a bigger toke than I'd normally take.

EDIT: And do recall that the heat button is only being engaged when the green light is FLASHING. Obviously that's when the battery is under major strain.

Also keep in mind that I didn't think much, if any, vapor was going to come out of me when I exhaled. The FF is really smooth.

Last edited:

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
Attempted to make a respectable video this time. Other people who do this better than I really need to start making vids here.

FF from a cold start for just one toke. With 100 % legal herbs. I had hit it maybe 10 minutes before this? Closer to 15, probably.

Still a bigger toke than I'd normally take.

EDIT: And do recall that the heat button is only being engaged when the green light is FLASHING. Obviously that's when the battery is under major strain.

Also keep in mind that I didn't think much, if any, vapor was going to come out of me when I exhaled. The FF is really smooth.

Fantastic video to go along with that sexy dark gray Firefly. You did a great job man, thank you for your time, these things take time and brains, this is why you'll only get pictures from me. Time to fondle my freshly polished FF,:smug:

fbrinsley

franklin
I find your posts to be highly entertaining!
Self-depreciation ftw :lmao:

thanks for the vote of confidence. apparently i'm too edgy for the FF community. i've been contacted by several staff members to let me know that while i'm welcome to be part of the community, my posting style is hard for some to take.

so no happy feet penguins in this group. if i want to be entertaining and creative take it somewhere else i was told. sorry i only know how to stand out amongst the narcolepsy inducing standard forum banter. i love you all. keep vaping!

fbrinsley,

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La

update: i would also like to make my FF experience analogous to team USA's performance against Sweden in this curling match. Team Sweden jumped out to a 3 nil lead. Team USA then mounts a 5-3 comeback. even if team USA doesn't ultimately win, they sure gave it a go! this is why vaporizing is so much more interesting than combusting.
Wow. I just want to say, fbrinsley, thank you for making me feel a lot better about myself.:tup:

Good luck with your FF.

fbrinsley

franklin
Wow. I just want to say, fbrinsley, thank you for making me feel a lot better about myself.:tup:

wait. did i make you feel better about yourself cuz you're not a chubby pale ginger? don't you see how inherintly boderline colorist that is? you wouldn't say thanks for making me feel better about myself if i talked about how tough growing up an ethnic minority was.

gingerism, the only form of racism that's still acceptable. (not you specifically WildChild) i'm sure you're a wonderful person. you didn't know i was the MLK of redheads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom