Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
So Sarah over at Firefly basically just confirmed what everyone was saying, but went even further - I think - in saying that NO grind is recommended. Hand-torn at most, she said.

Medium grind, using fingers. Don't pull harder than the natural air flow of the FF will allow. Don't hit the heat button twice. Keep the device LEVEL when you hit from it. Practice practice practice. Don't use a top screen...it can do funky things to the heating element. Once you get your draw down you won't need a top screen.

EveryDayAmnesiac

With external charger.

39fb.jpg

stickstones

Vapor concierge
yes sir. 2 mflb's. 2 iolites. 1 wispr. a purple days log. silver surfer. and my daily beater for past six months the solo. all going back to me joining this forum 2010 or so? so this ain't my first rodeo. never claimed to be a good bull rider. but i ain't scared ;) all of this is just an analogy.

I'm surprised this unit is giving you a hard time given your 2 mflb's. unless those sucked for you also?

grokit

well-worn member
Should I have my external charger +battery by now?
I added it on the holiday special, hope I don't have to bug them about it.

grokit,
Reactions: mckeen

fbrinsley

franklin
I'm surprised this unit is giving you a hard time given your 2 mflb's. unless those sucked for you also?
not at all. i blasted thru two of those suckers and now they barely warm up. hand shaking the mflb to mix herbs isn't really an option with the FF. i'm having to totally dump my stash in palm of hand to mix up and further break up dried herbs with the FF. i'm getting better. just don't know if i'm getting all i should be getting. but no way i give up. i just listened to the boingboingnet podcast with the creators that has been linked here before.

http://boingboing.net/2013/12/10/happy-mutants-podcast-001-cre.html

EveryDayAmnesiac

nhand shaking the mflb to mix herbs isn't really an option with the FF. i'm having to totally dump my stash in palm of hand to mix up and further break up dried herbs with the FF. i'm getting better. just don't know if i'm getting all i should be getting. but no way i give up.

Are you grinding beforehand?

With my SCS grind, I can shake the FF and mix it up a little bit, but to get the last couple tokes I need to "open up my Fly" and just stir a little. No further breaking up needed. Just a wooden skewer.

:shrug:

fbrinsley

franklin
Are you grinding beforehand?

i started with ground herbs, moved to just shoving nugs in and smashing them down. i tried the delicate approach now i'm trying the frat boy approach. my apologies to any and all frat boys.

this past session i just broke up nug by hand and shoved it down with my thumb. got two huge 10 plus second draws. great taste. great vape. then lifted lid and mixed. herbs are dried up at this point enough to break up big pieces if i want. but i mixed it up and 2 more nice pulls. and repeat. 6-8 pulls seems to be my average for a load. sometimes i've taken it a bit further. i was able to get the premium package so every session is with a fully charged battery. can't imagine not having the external charge with extra battery.

hey i'm on FF website i don't see a car charger. has this been discussed? is there a jameco solution or something? cheers.

Last edited:
i

this past session i just broke up nug by hand and shoved it down with my thumb. got two huge 10 plus second draws. great taste. great vape. then lifted lid and mixed. herbs are dried up at this point enough to break up big pieces if i want. but i mixed it up and 2 more nice pulls. and repeat. 6-8 pulls seems to be my average for a load. sometimes i've taken it a bit further. i was able to get the premium package so every session is with a fully charged battery. can't imagine not having the external charge with extra battery.

Have you tried using a coffee grinder to completely break down your herb? The way science is, the finer the grind, the more evenly and more full the vaporization is.

Danvapereviews,
Reactions: fbrinsley

fbrinsley

franklin
Have you tried using a coffee grinder to completely break down your herb? The way science is, the finer the grind, the more evenly and more full the vaporization is.
yeah but i read that sarah from FF said no grind or hand break herbs at most. so i'm trying that method. i started with ground. i can't imagine putting my top shelf meds in a coffee grinder *shudder* if i had a bag of schwag yeah but i haven't seen that stuff since tampa 1997.

not braggin' or nuthin.

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
Should I have my external charger +battery by now?
I added it on the holiday special, hope I don't have to bug them about it.
You should give them a call, opened till 7:00 pm I think. Mine came last week and wow what a difference it has made, for me. I must say now that I have one of the best portables made. Off to fondle some more.

yeah but i read that sarah from FF said no grind or hand break herbs at most. so i'm trying that method. i started with ground. i can't imagine putting my top shelf meds in a coffee grinder *shudder* if i had a bag of schwag yeah but i haven't seen that stuff since tampa 1997.

not braggin' or nuthin.
hahah I know exactly what you mean, my point being the even "burning" *shudder at that word* would provide you with full hits, I'll take one for the team and try out the fine-grind method in the near future,". With my old pax, and arizer, the hits were phenomenal when the bud was dust like. Rich and flavorful

fbrinsley

franklin
hahah I know exactly what you mean, my point being the even "burning" *shudder at that word* would provide you with full hits, I'll take one for the team and try out the fine-grind method in the near future,". With my old pax, and arizer, the hits were phenomenal when the bud was dust like. Rich and flavorful
well fortunately i have ample supply to trial and error. next sesh is gonna be ground. i dunno about dust. this stuff isn't dry enough. yet. give it an hour. it's arizona.

update. i dunno it all seems like six of twelve really ground v non. yummy taste with both. learn the pull no debris either way. which is nice it works well either way. thinking of on the golf course. buddies always have non ground herbs. thinking i might need eight batteries for a round of g.

Last edited:

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
I have a Pax and the Firefly runs circles around it. Not only in taste but in quality of medicine. I like the Pax but it just sits there next to the Davinci...sleeping since I bought the Firefly. I been grinding for over 40 years but now I'm lazy and my pockets are full, just stick the whole thing in there.

I have a Pax and the Firefly runs circles around it. Not only in taste but in quality of medicine. I like the Pax but it just sits there next to the Davinci...sleeping since I bought the Firefly. I been grinding for over 40 years but now I'm lazy and my pockets are full, just stick the whole thing in there.
For real huh? Never would've thought it would ever be this easy to just pop in a nug and start medicating. I'll be sure to throw that info in my review

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
For real huh? Never would've thought it would ever be this easy to just pop in a nug and start medicating. I'll be sure to throw that info in my review
Like I said, I've been grinding and grinding my whole life. I started using the Firefly with a fingers and scissors shred then a fine grind then went to medium grind. When all is said and done, I personally like the whole bud method as mentioned in other posts. I would have never thunk this.

tufftitty

Like I said, I've been grinding and grinding my whole life. I started using the Firefly with a fingers and scissors shred then a fine grind then went to medium grind. When all is said and done, I personally like the whole bud method as mentioned in other posts. I would have never thunk this.

Man I guess I got try it then :huh:
Where's @steama hahaa

@fbrinsley
What's this mean bro
" i dunno it all seems like six of twelve really ground v non. "

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
Everything that is said on here are based on personal experiences. So, for me the whole bud method works wonderful. For others it may not and I don't think the Firefly limits us either way. It's seems to be a very versatile unit. When you put in the whole thing, it dries quicly and slowly becomes ground brown anyways.

mckeen,
Reactions: steama

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Everything that is said on here are based on personal experiences. So, for me the whole bud method works wonderful. For others it may not and I don't think the Firefly limits us either way. It's seems to be a very versatile unit. When you put in the whole thing, it dries quicly and slowly becomes ground brown anyways.

In my experience, you can start with a whole bud (and if it's not dry, that's exactly what I do), but you'll end up finger-grinding during the session in order to expose the inside material fully to the heat. The FF works best with grinds that lean toward medium and away from fine, but you'll eventually end up with a fine grind as the bowl cooks. Or you'll decide to finish the material in a vape that may do a better job with the final stages of a mostly-cooked bowl.

But can you toss a whole bud into the FF, vape all of the goodness of the material out of it, without breaking up the material (ie effectively grinding it) during the session? No, you can't do that. That would be magic. Maybe FF 2.0....:lol:

Un Prophete

Ok, obvious noob here, but do most vapes not have a built in filter/screen to block some of the finer or invisible particles/impurities? I know my Plenty does. I'm still getting some very fine debris, even with a hand-grind, and I can't pull much softer. Hopefully practice makes perfect with this

Un Prophete,

DasBlunt

Ok, obvious noob here, but do most vapes not have a built in filter/screen to block some of the finer or invisible particles/impurities? I know my Plenty does. I'm still getting some very fine debris, even with a hand-grind, and I can't pull much softer. Hopefully practice makes perfect with this

Your instinct is correct, there should not be any fine particles in your airstream.

I read this whole thread thinking maybe a less "crack pipe" solution to the Magic Flight existed. Without a screen and ultimately a larger bowl, this is close, but it fails.

I was ready to pull the 250USD trigger.

DasBlunt,

grokit

well-worn member
While the firefly is by far my most favorite portable vape, it's clearly not for everybody.
And that's not a bad thing imo. For myself, the only thing it does not excel at is being passed around by a group of newbies. And I could seriously care less, as I'm not out to convert combusters any more.
Hell I'll even roll a spliff up for them (rolling j's is the only thing I miss about combusting).

Raskin666

Doom Walrus
I have used 4 loads since I have been home from work.
Fair amount of success. The unit is nice on the eyes and feels solid and well built. Taste is great, and no combustion issues.

Interestingly, @fbringsley and @unprophete, I also experienced particulate two separate times and noticed that both times the lid appeared to be on but upon inspection was slightly ajar, causing the problem.

The rest of my experience has been quite nice. I have read this whole thread, and I felt pretty confident. I experimented with hold time on the button. Tried whole nug. Tried finger grind. Tried different draw speeds. I did wonder if anyone had tips for getting that last bit of it before abandoning the ABV. Ultimately it doesn't matter because I will make edibles with it later. But curious if there is a trick to bump the temp a little to get the remainder. Taste is lovely.

Battery life is small for sure. Have an extra battery with external charger, so not terrible. I REALLY was drawn to how most things of the unit are replaceable. Internal batteries go back and then your device starts becoming worthless. Replaceable = Reliable. I also didn't buy it as a portable really. Mostly around the house and need to be able to hit and then set down. Mostly myself or a bandmate so the size isnt bad. Larger bowl size in future would be plus.

Overall, loving it.

Raskin666

Doom Walrus
Also, the replacement battery doesn't appear to work. Seems faulty. Fully charged it, it lasted about 8 seconds then died. When on charger it started to give me green, red, blue lights. Emailed Firefly and see about a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom