Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Hey steama, did you get your feelings hurt? I bought a firefly and I think it sucks. Are you gonna cry?
Please read the rules. Specifically this part:

• All members must be treated in a respectful and adult manner. All members should respect and adhere to the promotion of harmony within the community. Do not attempt to disrupt the community in any way.
  • No flaming. Please do not post any messages that harass, insult, belittle, threaten or flame another member.
This part applies here as well:

Don’t attack products or companies. You can post your opinion, and you can criticize, but posts written to offend are not allowed. State your complaint and move on.

I'd say your complaint has been stated, so now is when the "move on" part starts.

:peace:

Last edited:

Meghan

A Firefly was one of my Xmas gifts, so I've had one for a little over two weeks now. I've held off on posting any kind of review, because I wanted to actually get to know the unit before making up my mind about it.

The verdict is that I'm really happy.

I was a little nervous for the first day I had it, mostly because I was reasonably happy with the portables I had (Lotus, Solo, PnP, DV as a backup) and hadn't really planned to buy another. The only reason I did was because of how much the FF reminded me of the Lotus (my overall favorite vape), particularly the potential to take single hits on-demand--which is important to me. As much as I love the Lotus, it's not great for stealth out of the house. I'd previously owned the Firewood, which I'd purchased with the same desire, but didn't really care for using it enough to want to keep it. While the FF is clearly a higher quality vape than the Firewood--and much heavier than I'd anticipated--I wasn't sure it was going to feel worth $250 to me.

After a couple weeks, however, the FF has completely replaced the PnP in my daily routine. It works a lot better for me because it doesn't take the pre-planning the PnP does, nor the maintenance. Not having to mess with bullets is a blessing! I'd love a better battery life, but the fact that I can even buy a backup battery makes it a relative non-issue. The FF is easy to load, easy to use, tastes great, and easily fits in my pocket/purse. I feel like I've simplified my life now that I'm using it when I would've grabbed the PnP in the past.

In response to some of the discussion above, I can't imagine how anyone has managed to get material in their mouths while using the FF. I've run the gamut of grind types in playing with this thing, from a whole nug to hand-shredded to medium ground to finely ground, like sand. I've varied my draw speed from barely an inhalation to a fairly steady suck, and not once have I managed to get anything green on my tongue. I'm not saying it's impossible, obviously, but anyone on the fence about purchasing one of these shouldn't worry too much about the possibility. This is honestly one of the simplest vapes to operate that I've come across, once you get a feel for how long to hold down the button while heating.

Overall, I'm really happy with this purchase to the point that I'm ready to narrow my collection again, since some old favorites are no longer seeing any use. Given the distracted, multi-tasking nature of my sessions, the FF is the closest to perfect battery-powered vape (for me) that I've found.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
A Firefly was one of my Xmas gifts, so I've had one for a little over two weeks now. I've held off on posting any kind of review, because I wanted to actually get to know the unit before making up my mind about it.

I was a little nervous for the first day I had it, mostly because I was reasonably happy with the portables I had (Lotus, Solo, PnP, DV as a backup) and hadn't really planned to buy another. The only reason I did was because of how much the FF reminded me of the Lotus (my overall favorite vape), particularly the potential to take single hits on-demand--which is important to me. As much as I love the Lotus, it's not great for stealth out of the house. I'd previously owned the Firewood, which I'd purchased with the same desire, but didn't really care for using it enough to want to keep it. While the FF is clearly a higher quality vape than the Firewood--and much heavier than I'd anticipated--I wasn't sure it was going to feel worth $250 to me.

After a couple weeks, however, the FF has completely replaced the PnP in my daily routine. It works a lot better for me because it doesn't take the pre-planning the PnP does, nor the maintenance. Not having to mess with bullets is a blessing! I'd love a better battery life, but the fact that I can even buy a backup battery makes it a relative non-issue. The FF is easy to load, easy to use, tastes great, and easily fits in my pocket/purse. I feel like I've simplified my life now that I'm using it when I would've grabbed the PnP in the past.

In response to some of the discussion above, I can't imagine how anyone has managed to get material in their mouths while using the FF. I've run the gamut of grind types in playing with this thing, from a whole nug to hand-shredded to medium ground to finely ground, like sand. I've varied my draw speed from barely an inhalation to a fairly steady suck, and not once have I managed to get anything green on my tongue. I'm not saying it's impossible, obviously, but anyone on the fence about purchasing one of these shouldn't worry too much about the possibility. This is honestly one of the simplest vapes to operate that I've come across, once you get a feel for how long to hold down the button while heating.

Overall, I'm really happy with this purchase to the point that I'm ready to narrow my collection again, since some old favorites are no longer seeing any use. Given the distracted, multi-tasking nature of my sessions, the FF is the closest to perfect battery-powered vape (for me) that I've found.
Thank you for an incredibly insightful review. Best I've seen!

fbrinsley

franklin
Please read the rules. Specifically this part:

• All members must be treated in a respectful and adult manner. All members should respect and adhere to the promotion of harmony within the community. Do not attempt to disrupt the community in any way.
  • No flaming. Please do not post any messages that harass, insult, belittle, threaten or flame another member.
This part applies here as well:

Don’t attack products or companies. You can post your opinion, and you can criticize, but posts written to offend are not allowed. State your complaint and move on.

I'd say your complaint has been stated, so now is when the "move on" part starts.

:peace:
i edited the post for that very reason well before your thinking i'd ever move on.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
i edited the post for that very reason well before your thinking i'd ever move on.

You did a poor job of it if your intent was to make it less of a rule-breaker. Your tone towards steama is offensive and you're lucky Stu didn't give you a point. We have another rule:
  • Public discussions of staff decisions are not permitted on the site. If you have any concerns or queries relating to a staff decision please take it up in private with a staff member.
You've come extremely close to breaking that one too.

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Sometimes an Avatar suits one to a 'T'. Anyway, it does seem from the majority of FF owners that it's got way more hits than misses. The short battery pulls my finger back from the trigger a tad, but then again it'll take a spare on the fly, so no real biggie there - Bang! Overall I like it enough to go for it!

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Hey folks, I'm thinking about grabbing one of these at a lhs. I'm wondering if high temp vaping is being achieved? Also, if it gets hot enough to vape bubble?
This thing just sounds to good to be true.
Edit: I've read this entire thread, and only seen these touched on a couple times. Full spectrum vaping is important me.

The stated specs claim the high temp is 400F. However, some users accidentally stumble onto combustion, which would imply a higher temp, at least sporadically. I would personally not describe it as "high temp" vape. Although the material can get quite dark, and even charred in places under certain conditions, I usually find the last two hits of any bowl aren't quite reachable through the FF. (But if I crank my V Tower to 410 or so I can get the last hits.)

So I'm not sure it meets what you think of as full-spectrum vaping. I would answer the "vape bubble" question but I don't know what that is!:doh:

proghead

Thanks for your very informative review and clarification, precious Meghan. Can you please share which of the grind types out of the gamut run and draw speeds tried gave you best results?
My FF is in transit. I think I am not alone in saying that I would appreciate the input of someone who invested time and material running the variables.

Also, how was your experience with "finely ground, like sand" grind. There have been reports of a little charring when combining fine grind with a full bowl. Any perception of any charring during your runs?

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
I think the only possible way to get material in your mouth is to hit that thing HARD! Plus you would have to have it packed so loose in there too. I have never personally had this happen to me. I have it down that the window doesn't even get stuff on it. A quick wipe when just opened after you blow it out is all you need, then maybe the iso wipe as personal preference as needed. This thing was well thought out IMO. :tup:

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
Very dry, powdery bud might get through the system but as messy as I am, I have no salad on the tongue. But I do get the best tasting clouds ever. Can't make everyone happy with instant heat, changeable battery, glass bowl and paint that would make any car jealous. Some people like Fiats too.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I think the only possible way to get material in your mouth is to hit that thing HARD! Plus you would have to have it packed so loose in there too. I have never personally had this happen to me. I have it down that the window doesn't even get stuff on it. A quick wipe when just opened after you blow it out is all you need, then maybe the iso wipe as personal preference as needed. This thing was well thought out IMO. :tup:

It shouldn't be a common occurence, certainly. I think in the ending stages of a bowl, when material is powdery, you can get some transference through the tiny dual vapor channels that radiate outward from the window. Theoretically the raised metal on the lid is touching the metal surface of the base, walling off the bowl from the lid and the vapor paths...but, it is possible for some material to migrate through those window channels if it's ground finely, and if you (frankly) hit the thing incorrectly. (I have yet to avoid material eventually clinging to the edges of the window, but again, that occurs late in a bowl when the material is too fine and most sane folks would've called the thing dead and moved on.)

But yes, of course, it's designed quite ingeniously, with an optimal balance of simplicity and clever engineering. But again, it ain't like holding a flame to a pipe, and thus requires a little finesse and care when using. You get out of it what you put into it, sort of. (In more ways than one! :rofl:)

fbrinsley

franklin
it's always the one that retaliates that get's the blame. i aired a critique and steamy hurt my feelings. cmon you guys don't you have feelings? i'm still sore the firefly isn't impressing me. i'm upset with her right now. she's in time out. what i've come dangerously close to doing is waking some people up. i'm a compelling person what can i say.

fbrinsley,
Reactions: grokit

Snappo

Accessory Maker
it's always the one that retaliates that get's the blame.
That's so true on the basketball court, but yeah, true here too. If after you have reviewed the majority of this thread for troubleshooting and tips for best performance, and your FF still isn't working right for you, it might be best to deal with the manufacturer directly. From what I gather, they're pretty damn responsive and accommodating. Try making an unemotional thoughtful case for a brand new replacement if it comes to that. That approach works best for me at restaurants so I'll feel secure in the fact that the cook & waitress won't spit on my dish:D.

Meghan

Thanks for your very informative review and clarification, precious Meghan. Can you please share which of the grind types out of the gamut run and draw speeds tried gave you best results?
My FF is in transit. I think I am not alone in saying that I would appreciate the input of someone who invested time and material running the variables.

Also, how was your experience with "finely ground, like sand" grind. There have been reports of a little charring when combining fine grind with a full bowl. Any perception of any charring during your runs?

I prefer a medium rough grind, or hand-shredded. The whole nug method works, but I find the vapor to be a bit inferior and it's a little more "work" because you absolutely need to open up the lid to complete the session. For most sessions, shaking suffices (for me).

I only really tried "finely ground, like sand" because I emptied out a Tight-Vac container full of Blue Dream I'd ground up weeks ago. That happened to be the consistency. It produced big clouds and was definitely a bit messier (around the port window) than other grinds, but there was no issue with herb in my mouth or even the slightest threat of combustion. Actually, I haven't come anywhere close to combustion with this vape. I almost can't even imagine it! Granted, I'm not pressing the heat button for the full time allotted. I probably never press it for more than 10-15 seconds, tops. That's because that's all it takes to get a lung-busting hit, especially after the first hit. I'm actually not capable of heating it much longer, because I will feel it. lol

This is coming from someone who has combusted in the Lotus, for whatever that's worth.

mckeen

Tumrgrwer
I prefer a medium rough grind, or hand-shredded. The whole nug method works, but I find the vapor to be a bit inferior and it's a little more "work" because you absolutely need to open up the lid to complete the session. For most sessions, shaking suffices (for me).

I only really tried "finely ground, like sand" because I emptied out a Tight-Vac container full of Blue Dream I'd ground up weeks ago. That happened to be the consistency. It produced big clouds and was definitely a bit messier (around the port window) than other grinds, but there was no issue with herb in my mouth or even the slightest threat of combustion. Actually, I haven't come anywhere close to combustion with this vape. I almost can't even imagine it! Granted, I'm not pressing the heat button for the full time allotted. I probably never press it for more than 10-15 seconds, tops. That's because that's all it takes to get a lung-busting hit, especially after the first hit. I'm actually not capable of heating it much longer, because I will feel it. lol

This is coming from someone who has combusted in the Lotus, for whatever that's worth.
Blue Dream! Ahhhhhh......Makes everyones dreams come true, what a producer.

natural farmer

Sooo, Meghan, while I am still waiting for my FF to fly over the ocean, how does it compare to the Lotus? I am expecting pretty similar taste and sessions, no? Which one do you pick most often when you need a session in the house?
I feel the FF will be a very similar experience to the Lotus, only more luxurious and with slightly more cleaning afterwards... :)

birdsiview

Looks like I'm gonna have to return my device. Tonight was the first time I actually took the FF outside my home and the battery died after less than two bowls. The battery had been fully charged so I would expect much more use out of it before going dead.

Keep in mind this is the same unit whose light turns red after being fully charged rather than blue as expected. I was hoping that was the only error but unfortunately it seems to be more than that.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Looks like I'm gonna have to return my device. Tonight was the first time I actually took the FF outside my home and the battery died after less than two bowls. The battery had been fully charged so I would expect much more use out of it before going dead.

Keep in mind this is the same unit whose light turns red after being fully charged rather than blue as expected. I was hoping that was the only error but unfortunately it seems to be more than that.
Has your battery life normally been two bowls?

bumdiggy84

Your unit is defective...email firefly for replacement..my first one (silver) did the same thing..my 2nd one (red) no problems...ur unit is probably not fully charging the battery

proghead

..."finely ground, like sand" ...produced big clouds and was definitely a bit messier (around the port window).

Yes Megan You provide one more confirmation to previous posts that if you control all the other factors that trigger any combustion you might enhance vaporization moving towards finer grind.
For best explanations of the factors of combustion see posts by Steama, although he prefers manual and less grind.
I'm looking forward to see if and how I can progressively control the grind with in the electric green colored Tobacco Shredder & Cut Converter (got en eBay). Its smaller than a small electric coffee grinder and works great saving me time.

Megan or ANYONE who wants to add input:

Can you please share like how many times do you normally end up shaking the mix like within how many draws in one average session lasting how many minutes with a how much filled bowl? (that's 4 how how how hows :p) From what I've read here, it might make better sense filling up without loading and just tamping a little bit to bowl level.
How are you actually getting the best results?

birdsiview

Your unit is defective...email firefly for replacement..my first one (silver) did the same thing..my 2nd one (red) no problems...ur unit is probably not fully charging the battery

Yeah I'm definitely gonna be contacting them as soon as possible. How did the return process work? Did you have to ship out first or were you able to wait until you received a new unit?

Has your battery life normally been two bowls?

I have a fairly low tolerance so I never went beyond a single bowl until last night.

birdsiview,
Reactions: mckeen

fbrinsley

franklin
alright FF fanboys. Curling is on NBC so i'm gonna dedicate the next two hours to not understanding the FF and this lovely ice sport. i'm getting black herbs. and a burny combusting smell. i'm proof not all ppl can handle daily use.

fbrinsley,

poonman

alright FF fanboys. Curling is on NBC so i'm gonna dedicate the next two hours to not understanding the FF and this lovely ice sport. i'm getting black herbs. and a burny combusting smell. i'm proof not all ppl can handle daily use.

Screw curling , Hockey's on .
2 good teams Boston and Chicago .

And thank you for your input on the FF .
We need to hear from all sides , tbh so far , more positives have been heard of . But it's a new product , I want to keep an eye on it tho still .

enjoy your afternoon .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom